Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah that’s pretty much how Nioh was too. If the combat is anything like nioh and it has good weapon options and set bonuses and stuff I’ll have fun. Hopefully it’s still upsettingly hard

if you liked nioh it's a no-brainer to get this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Nioh with sekiro-esque combat sounds fuckin sick, ideally, they have the same weapons so I can use a spear and a big axe but I’m not picky. Based on my limited knowledge of Chinese history, I suspect that a spear is pretty much guaranteed and they’ll probably throw in some weird wacky poo poo too

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So game good? I've watched some of the gameplay videos and it really just seems like Nioh 3 with some Sekiro elements so far, including the weirdly busy enemy designs.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

So game good? I've watched some of the gameplay videos and it really just seems like Nioh 3 with some Sekiro elements so far, including the weirdly busy enemy designs.

Sekiro had busy enemy designs in that they were over detailed, Nioh had busy designs in the sense that they were weirdly smoky and highlighted and annoying to look at so I combination of those two sounds overwhelming

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a lot happening visually during fights between the creature design and FX, yeah. Like I haven't had any problems keeping track of the action as the person playing it but I can see spectators having a hard time

Thumbtacks posted:

Hopefully it’s still upsettingly hard

Hoping it gets there, but it's pretty easy so far. Maybe it's just my familiarity with the genre speaking though

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

i feel like i'm somehow playing the game wrong, i don't think i've ever seen my bar go blue and i just put on the heaviest armor i can and run around parrying&bonking people and bosses with a giant twohanded hammer

i mean i'm having fun but i sometimes see a boss have a blue bit under their hp bar for a second, go "huh" and then keep bonking&parrying them until it is orange and their stance breaks eventually

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
you can't miss this if you like Nioh at all, it's excellent

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i feel like i'm somehow playing the game wrong, i don't think i've ever seen my bar go blue and i just put on the heaviest armor i can and run around parrying&bonking people and bosses with a giant twohanded hammer

i mean i'm having fun but i sometimes see a boss have a blue bit under their hp bar for a second, go "huh" and then keep bonking&parrying them until it is orange and their stance breaks eventually

Attacking, even if guarded, successfully deflecting normal attacks, and successfully deflecting critical red attacks all build your spirit into blue. Getting hit, dodging, guarding, casting spells, using martial arts, and using your heavy attack with blue in the tank all reduce it.
If spirit empties out past orange, you get stunned and remain wide open

This applies to both yourself and enemies.

Your rate of spirit gain and Loss can both be effected by the elements you put points into when leveling, as well as gear.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 4, 2023

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Get to play later tonight - what are you guys weapon impressions so far?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BurningBeard posted:

If spirit empties out past orange, you get stunned and remain wide open

This only applies if you get hit and then it goes past your minimum. You can bring yourself down to minimum with spells and such without any penalties(besides the risk of being hit afterwards)

Speaking of which, pro tip: Critical blows/finishing blows reset your spirit to neutral. So before doing a critical you can quickly apply buffs for "free"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Only in the second area but I'm very disappointed the first bosses club seems too slow to not get shredded while using.

Halberd is working a treat though.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SpiritOfLenin posted:

That's pretty much what the game is, parries and spirit attacks will reduce the size of enemies' spirit gauges which will cause them to break eventually, then you fatal attack them which is where the majority of boss damage comes from (in my experience). That is all you really need to do to eventually win.

Building blue bar does two things: it gives you a cushion to do more stuff without getting stance broken yourself or alternatively it is spent when you use a spirit or fatal attack to deal increased damage, both of which are nice but not strictly necessary, at least as far as I am in the game.

That said, if you get good about building blue bar you can deal some insane damage and kill things faster than if you just parry into fatal attacks with no blue bar.

Bussamove posted:

Only in the second area but I'm very disappointed the first bosses club seems too slow to not get shredded while using.

Halberd is working a treat though.

I've been using hammers and you pretty much have to wait to parry before attacking or you get knocked out of your attack, the initial windup is so drat long. Alternatively you can do jump attacks which become active a lot faster but those can be risky to use.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hel posted:

It's tied to either Ambient Occlusion, Screen Space reflection ,Subsurface scattering or the options on page 4 of the graphics settings, turning all of them off fixed it for me and I don't notice enough graphically to try turning them on again to see which one it is.

This didn't really fix the problem but the game looks a whole lot better with all that poo poo off anyway tbh.

I haven't found a weapon I liked more than the 4* hammer I got from beating that first boss, been upgrading it along the way. It's slow as hell, yes, but it's great when paired with good parries and sneak attacks to open.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can deflect EVERYTHING, even stuff that doesn't look like an "attack". Arrows, firebombs, elemental balls, lightning, log traps, walls of fire, ect.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

You can deflect EVERYTHING, even stuff that doesn't look like an "attack". Arrows, firebombs, elemental balls, lightning, log traps, walls of fire, ect.

it's best to think of "deflect" as more of a traditional dodge mechanic or a just guard than, like, batting someone's sword away ala dark souls

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I did enjoy discovering I could 'deflect' those spiked log traps that some enemies will roll down hills at you.

Thumbtacks posted:

Yeah that’s pretty much how Nioh was too. If the combat is anything like nioh
Yeah pretty similar.

Thumbtacks posted:

it has good weapon options
Cool weapons but the movesets are much reduced from stance dancing and buying extra moves in the Niohs. You're expected to mix in weapon-specific martial arts moves and magic to your combos which looks awesome so that's good.

Thumbtacks posted:

and set bonuses and stuff

Eehhh, maybe things scale up in NG+ but so far in a first playthrough the weapon/armor attributes are largely inconsequential.

Thumbtacks posted:

Hopefully it’s still upsettingly hard

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

have the latest geforce drivers been found to make any difference for performance?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Eehhh, maybe things scale up in NG+ but so far in a first playthrough the weapon/armor attributes are largely inconsequential.

That’s pretty standard for nioh tbh, assuming this game also has like NG++++

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

RatHat posted:

This only applies if you get hit and then it goes past your minimum. You can bring yourself down to minimum with spells and such without any penalties(besides the risk of being hit afterwards)

Speaking of which, pro tip: Critical blows/finishing blows reset your spirit to neutral. So before doing a critical you can quickly apply buffs for "free"

That's awesome. Lot of potential to play close to the edge and do stupid stuff. I like it. Thanks for the info.

Something else I've found helpful, apropos of pretty much nothing is that if you have to heal, you're better off in a lot of cases earning your healing time by continuing your aggression. If your consistent, you'll buy yourself the space to do it.

RatHat posted:

Imagine my surprise when that archer in the first stage shot at me and, trying to dodge the melee dude in front of me, I instead deflected the arrow. So loving cool. In other, lesser games you'd have to buy that ability in a skill tree.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do we even know there is a ng+?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

That’s pretty standard for nioh tbh, assuming this game also has like NG++++

Feels a lot different to me, because in the Niohs increased rarity also put the main stats in a different range. A Unique katana would do way more base damage than a Common one. But here AFAIK rarity just controls how many little bonus attributes a weapon or armor has, their attack/defense stats stay the same. In Nioh you didn't bother upgrading or forging anything in NG because better gear was just a random drop away, here that seems to be much less the case.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deified Data posted:

Do we even know there is a ng+?

We do and there is

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

We do and there is

What we don't know, however, is if any Dlc will include fist weapons. Heinous poo poo that it didn't launch with them.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Give me a giant scythe or go to hell

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This actually seems really up my alley, I felt like Sekiro had excellent mechanics is but needed weapon variety and good NG+, and nioh sometimes felt a bit too hard and spammy and I never took huge advantage of weapon stances.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

weapon wish list:

-kung fu/fists
-nunchucks
-three-section-staff
-these big stupid swords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq4VSLalJkM&t=105s

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 4, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm digging this but am kind of missing some of "bloat" Nioh 2 had. Summoning youkai in 2 ruled.

If we get Nioh 3 when should it be? Like end of the shogunate seems like the obvious answer. But a modern day urban fantasy take might be fun too. Especially if the various immortals are still around. I'm a sucker for that.

Nioh 3000. Gotta stop cyber-Nobunaga in space!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The first boss is absolutely kicking my rear end, to the point where I feel like I'm missing something major. I hit him with a bunch of attacks, his health bar barely moves. I use those weapon special moves, nothing. I use magic, nothing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The first boss is absolutely kicking my rear end, to the point where I feel like I'm missing something major. I hit him with a bunch of attacks, his health bar barely moves. I use those weapon special moves, nothing. I use magic, nothing.

the core mechanic on bosses and larger enemies is something called "Spirit Disruption". you'll note that the boss's health bar has a low/high (orange/blue) spirit bar underneath his health, just like you do. attacking him will deplete his spirit, while performing spirit attacks (i think R2 on most controllers?) or your martial arts attacks will decrease the limit of their low spirit bar, as will deflecting their critical attacks (the big red glowy attacks). when their low spirit bar hits its limit, they will stagger and the low spirit bar will turn white, and you'll have a short period of time to perform a spirit attack on them, causing a Spirit Disruption and dealing massive damage. this resets their low spirit limit, so you rinse and repeat that until he's defeated

the actual HP damage your attacks and spells do is mostly incidental to the spirit damage you inflict on bosses, so focusing on keeping up the pressure so that their low spirit bar has no time to regenerate and you have plenty of high spirit to use on martial arts/spirit attacks/spells is key

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
First boss took me at least 20 tries. The parry timing seems very unforgiving compared to something like Sekiro.
I managed to win when I played way more aggressive - you can pretty much stunlock his first phase with basic attacks? With the polearm at least. Second phase I just had to repeat until I could consistently parry the red attacks. I have the same issue that made me bounce off of Nioh, which is that I find the enemy animations kind of hard to read. The block seems good, but it's easy to let yourself get into red spirit(?) and get into a vulnerable state.
Not sure if I'll buy it yet, I'll see how the 2nd demo level feels.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I bought it on PS5 because it ran like poo poo on a 3090 for me on PC. Carried my save over, I think if you know your tastes and you like games with great gameplay you will enjoy this.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
The first boss is harder than the stuff that follows, in part because you lack options. You can go back and grind up a bit, coming in with a higher morale level makes you do more damage. You'll still have to get used to parrying and not accidentally dodging by mashing parry, which doesn't parry or give invincibility frames. Was Nioh like this with that stuff? Didn't play either of them. Couldn't get the first one to run on my computer right.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Pretty sure different weapons have different parry windows. I suck at these games and when I switched to staff I had a very easy time bonking the first boss and not missing parries, to the extent that I didn't know about the summon thing you're supposed to do in phase 2 and still easily won.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's odd. The parry window in this actually seems pretty generous to me, but only on the early side. It's way more unforgiving on late deflect attempts.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So if you switch battle sets in level and a battle sets is 15 levels behind you s.o.l. There doesn’t seem to be a way use you un-distributed points.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Can I just download the demo and play that and if I like it buy the whole game? That might be easier

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think the gorilla boss in the 2nd level is way worse than the general. I can't get the parry down at all

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thumbtacks posted:

Nioh with sekiro-esque combat sounds fuckin sick,
can confirm, it's sick as gently caress

Thumbtacks posted:

Can I just download the demo and play that and if I like it buy the whole game? That might be easier
when you buy and launch the full game for the 1st time it'll ask if you want to import your demo save*, if that's what you mean. you'll pick up right where the demo left off

(edit) * on steam, that is, but I can't imagine other platforms being any different

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Lu Bu might be one of team ninja’s best bosses. Yea they mashed up bloodborne boss with a Sekiro boss but I don’t care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Calidus posted:

Lu Bu might be one of team ninja’s best bosses. Yea they mashed up bloodborne boss with a Sekiro boss but I don’t care.
oh my god it never clicked in my head that that would be a boss until i read this and I cannot wait