Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1631720198330802183

I know this is just brands interacting. But what if.... it's Crimson Skies?

Don't do that. Don't give me hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's not Crimson Skies. It's something original to the studio so they're not relying on outside IP to survive.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Vermilion Skies!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It’s a crusader kings - hearts of iron crossover game. Your monarch gets isekai’d into ww2

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Ulio posted:

Btw Atomic Heart has some of the worst get stuck in the map bugs I've seen. I've already had to restart 5-6 times if you dash or jump into a rubble you can get stuck on there.

I was playing on Gamepass but after about 6 hours of play and this happening 7 or 8 times I finally just uninstalled, I got the magic 3 of getting killed by a robot and then getting stuck on different parts of the world within 20 feet of each other and I just went "Yeah this game isn't fun enough to justify this" and deleted it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1631720198330802183

I know this is just brands interacting. But what if.... it's Crimson Skies?

I will be extremely happy in the unlikely event its Crimson Skies.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I've never played Crimson Skies, but I heard a lot about the setting and would love to try playing a modern game set in it. Seems like it's going to be an original IP though. Anyways, let's continue...

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 3rd

DEMO - I'm of mixed minds on Warm Snow, a Roguelike with Chinese mythological elements. It's a very pretty game and the combat is super fluid, but sometimes the magic fails and it's left feeling awkwardly unpolished. Also the game is not very good at explaining how its systems work on more than a cursory level, although it is fairly easy to just pick up and play. I'm tentatively saying it's worth it, but wait for a sale.

DEMO - Seven: The Days Long Gone is an isometric stealth/action RPG with parkour elements in a fantasy/cyberpunk setting. The premise is extremely cool, but there's a lot of frustrating things (like how disguises don't work) that make playing it really annoying. On the other hand, the game price falls to $5 at the drop of a hat. If you don't mind the jank, pick it up and try it out, but the demo was enough that I know it's not for me.

I kind of feel like this process sort of encourages me to play the stuff I'm on the fence about more than an actually good game, because if I pick something up that I haven't touched in my Library and fall in love with it again... then I don't really have any reason to post for at least a few days while I'm enjoying myself. It's kind of counterintuitive, but it is at least forcing me to stop being neutral and pick a side on most of these demo games.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 4, 2023

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there anything out there that is like Crimson Skies, gameplay-wise?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cool Dad posted:

Crimson Skies is fairly similar to Ace Combat, just Skies has more guns than missiles.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sadly Ace Combat has never thought to do WW2/Dieselpunk. ACES made that Sky Crawlers game but it was.... mediocre, at best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack Trades posted:

I'm looking forward to raising my Gear Score in Rocksteady Studios's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League(tm) coming out May 26th, pre-order now.

gently caress yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That new sniper doesn't have +0.17% critical damage to electrified enemies. it's trash. sorry you had to find out this way.

Goddammit, and I'd built up such a big stockpile of PURPLE as a currency when I should have been concentrating on BLUE instead! :cripes:

Oh well, back to grinding trash mobs and running circuits of the city to open chests as they respawn!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

caldrax posted:

I was playing on Gamepass but after about 6 hours of play and this happening 7 or 8 times I finally just uninstalled, I got the magic 3 of getting killed by a robot and then getting stuck on different parts of the world within 20 feet of each other and I just went "Yeah this game isn't fun enough to justify this" and deleted it.

Ya I think I am dropping it, it's making feel sick/nauseous, I can see it being perfectly fine but Bioshock did way more innovative stuff 20 years ago with how the world interacted with the plasmids than this. You can't even shock water to get aoe shock. It feels perfectly fine but with the amount of bugs like you said don't justify it. Went back to continuing my Witcher 1 save instead, the combat is awful but the story is amazing so far.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I enjoyed the start of Wo Long but the game would be approximately a million times better if deflect was bound to the block key instead of the dodge key.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Cool Dad posted:

Get Ace Combat 7 while it’s on sale, unless the steam punk theme is important to you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Excuse me, Crimson Skies is Dieselpunk, and was Dieselpunk before dieselpunk was even really a thing. :goonsay:

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I enjoyed the start of Wo Long but the game would be approximately a million times better if deflect was bound to the block key instead of the dodge key.
It's weird but you can block while trying to deflect and take no damage if you mess up (apart from it dinging your spirit gauge) with it the way it is.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Gripper posted:

It's weird but you can block while trying to deflect and take no damage if you mess up (apart from it dinging your spirit gauge) with it the way it is.

That is super weird, I never would've tried that. Thank you!!

Meanwhile on general games, are either Session: Skate Sim or Skate XL worth it if I don't know anything about skateboarding, but played tony hawk and enjoyed slamming facefirst into brick walls while trying to nail an ill-advised but sweet aerial?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I am really enjoying Phantom Brigade, but it could use one or two content patches for the base layer. Also it needs a character like Central. The story is pretty bland, but after the crazy poo poo in XCOM-2, it's nice to have something simple and serviceable instead of cartoon villains monologing at you.

Those issues aside, the gameplay is super fun and engrossing.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does it actually have character levels/skills or is it all just the mechs?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone know why Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga is delisted?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone know why Divinity 2 Dragon Knight Saga is delisted?

It was replaced with Divinity II: Developer's Cut as an all-in-one package with improvements, and so they upgraded anyone who had the old one and delisted it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cool Dad posted:

If you don't mind it being in space, I found Chorus pretty similar. Same emphasis on dogfights and pulling crazy stunts like flying inside enemy capital ships. Story's tune is very different, sadly.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mordja posted:

Does it actually have character levels/skills or is it all just the mechs?

Just mechs.

Aside from the core mechanic the whole thing feels a bit threadbare. Also they used to have cool-looking 2d portraits but swapped those out for serviceable but blander-looking 3d models, but only for your own pilots.

NPCs keep their more evocative portrait art and it's a little incongruous.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Runa posted:

Aside from the core mechanic the whole thing feels a bit threadbare.
I feel like I've heard that, yeah.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyone know why when videos load in the main carousel of a product's page on Steam's website they load all skewed up and weird for me? The "Live Broadcast" videos seem to be just fine but the preview videos below are messed up.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a new filter Valve developing to make the videos more exciting and kino.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm playing Wo Long on game pass and I'm enjoying it a lot. I'm playing with a controller and I haven't encountered any bugs and the performance is constant 60 at UW 3440 on my 3080. It's a mandatory parry game like Sekiro except you can parry everything since the button is a combo parry/dodge/etc. So, you can parry arrows, monsters, wizard spells which you sling back at them, etc. The parry timing is also very forgiving so I'm finding it much easier than Bloodborne or Sekiro (both of which I never finished).

I'm also very glad they support ultrawide at release which isn't that common in Japanese games.

edit: the only thing I'm not liking is the Diablo style loot. I hate getting a lot of similar crap that you are supposed to sort through. You can ignore all of it and just upgrade what you are using though.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 4, 2023

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

repiv posted:

why did Spacebase DF-9 just appear in my steam inventory

wasn't that game abandoned half finished

Late answer but I'm guessing you bought the earthquake relief bundle and redeemed Hack 'n Slash. At one point Double Fine gave that to owners of Spacebase and vice versa as an attempt to make amends.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Omi no Kami posted:

Meanwhile on general games, are either Session: Skate Sim or Skate XL worth it if I don't know anything about skateboarding, but played tony hawk and enjoyed slamming facefirst into brick walls while trying to nail an ill-advised but sweet aerial?
Session is the superior skating sim, but be aware that it is the DCS to Tony Hawk's Ace Combat if that makes sense. Your analog sticks correspond to your feet and that's how you do tricks. It can be frustrating just to learn to ollie at first. Much like real skating. It's also still a bit janky from time to time. I love it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tim Schafer can still suck my hairy nuts for conning me out of my money with Spacebase DF-9.

At least that taught me a lessor about Early Access games early.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

My Double Fine Early Access regret was Massive Chalice, a game I so desperately wanted to be good, but never made it past tolerably mediocre even into its full release.

I think the lesson is just not to trust Double Fine specifically with Early Access, but to each their own.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Oldstench posted:

Session is the superior skating sim, but be aware that it is the DCS to Tony Hawk's Ace Combat if that makes sense. Your analog sticks correspond to your feet and that's how you do tricks. It can be frustrating just to learn to ollie at first. Much like real skating. It's also still a bit janky from time to time. I love it.

To add, while I find it great in the skating portion to play, structurally it's not really that enticing. If you want to learn how to trick and nail a routine and maybe record it, it's excellent. But if you're the kind of person that likes Tony Hawk's time limited level based structure, or the Skate series' open world + mini missions structure, you won't get that same feeling of progression in Session (at least as of last I played a few months back). It's all about making your own fun, outside a very, very limited number of missions.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I backed Broken Age on Kickstarter and never even bothered to play it past the first hour or so. The documentary was cool though. There was such a lack of point and click adventure games (or even the hope of future ones) that I don't think I even cared if the game was good, I just wanted it to prove that they could still be successful. And considering we got a new S-tier Monkey Island last year I guess it worked.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I never finished the part one of Broken Age, didn't grab me enough and I though I'd just go back to it when the second part came out.
Then I heard that part 2 was worse and the puzzles were crap, and I never bothered.

I think DF9 had happened by then, when also just soured me on Double Fine in general.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Anyways, enough dilly-dallying, time to start the day:

Spring (Sale) Cleaning - March 4th

DEMO - Rollers of the Realm 2: Reunion is the upcoming sequel to Rollers of the Realm, a Pinball based RPG. I liked the original, but I found that the demo for the sequel is a little bit too insistent on trying to make the game more of an RPG, and the complications are starting to get in the way of the pinball. But somebody who likes their pinball very technical might appreciate that and find it to be better than the original.

DEMO - Look, we all know about Terra Nil at this point.

There are only two complaints I have, and both sort of get better the more you play the game: Apparently you need to find a bunch of trees or already burnt trees preexisting on the map in order to place beehives to make forest prairie biome, so that then you have the flowers to start construction of the ashmaker that lets you build the forest biome. Now that I know how it works, I'll know it forever, but it was not intuitively obvious, especially compared to the process of making wetlands biome, which was just "alter your preexisting terraforming equipment." The other thing is that the cleanup process is way too fiddly if you don't already have everything built next to a river, because the only way to deconstruct everything is to send it back along boats to your airship dock. This resulted in the last couple minutes of my cleanup being "set up river infrastructure to dig out from the main river to my preexisting high density terraforming areas, and THEN get back to unbuilding", which is kind of tedious. But once the full game comes out, I now know that this needs to be a thing I should worry about before moving into the final phase. I do appreciate that once you get to 90%, the game highlights everything left on the map so you know what's left to clean up though.

I'm complaining a lot because these were very noticeable hitches to the game, but this is one of those cases where that absolutely should not dissuade you. Terra Nil is pretty much exactly as promised and is a very good, chill, relaxing two phase city builder/unbuilder, which I am looking forward to purchasing.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - FIVE: Guardians of David is an alright, if not particularly spectacular ARPG following King David and his bodyguards as the former rises from his origins as a humble shepherd to the apex of his power as King of Israel. This, however, is not that game. This is FIVE: Champions of Canaan, the extremely mediocre sequel. There's a dumb excuse plot about how the Ammonites are starting up a bunch of combat arenas so they can technically claim they're not making human sacrifices to Moloch while still spilling the requisite amount of blood their religion demands, and so in response, David's primary general sends you in as a one man/woman army to break the whole thing up without starting a war. The rest is just you fighting through wave after wave of arena combat. The combat is pretty decent once you get used to it, but it's extremely grindy for very little payoff, and the whole game feels like it really should have just been an Endless mode for Guardians of David. I last played this in 2017 and was hoping some of the bugs would be ironed out since then, but everything's pretty much exactly as I remember it, and the company's gone bankrupt in the interim. Just stick with the original and be content with your 12 hours maximum of content.

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - People have said that Torchlight II is like the original, but better. I'd pretty much agree with that, but I also got bored of the original Torchlight after a couple of hours of ARPG dungeon delving and recognized that most of the factors that contributed to that were still here, so it didn't stick with me for too long. It's fantastic if you want its particular experience though.

PREVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED - What an adorable little deckbuilder Night of the Full Moon is! I don't know how much I'll play of it in the short term, but I immediately fell in love with it, and will want to get back around to playing more eventually. The base game is now entirely free with the funding of the rest of the game through DLC/cosmetics, so there's no reason not to pick this up unless you hate deckbuilders entirely, or primarily play in another language since apparently there's a bug that can show up that makes the game unplayable.

Jossar posted:

Meltdown: Meltdown is a cross-platform arcade shooter that was released for phones, computers, and apparently only the Ouya for consoles. It has a wide variety of upgradable guns suitable for a multitude of playstyles, a fair selection of robots to beat up that explode into goodies, online multiplayer/co-op, a soundtrack that against all odds I still remember to this day, and most importantly of all, the action is super smooth. Is this a game for the ages? No. Is it worth seven bucks? Absolutely.

PREVIOUSLY PLAYED - So yeah, turns out I haven't actually played Meltdown in forever despite raving about it in the Hidden Gems thread! It's just as fun as I remember, although I forgot that the enemy pathing AI isn't perfect. And I didn't get everything, or even get to the final Prestige level/beat the game. Will probably be putting at least another hour in tonight, and maybe try to make it a regular thing for sitting down and playing for batches of 20 minutes.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 5, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love Double Fine's ideas and mostly enjoy brutal legend, costume quest, and stacking, but besides the Psychonauts games I haven't really felt the desire to replay any of them and things like brutal legend have entire sections of gameplay that I can't stand. Really didn't like Broken Age and didn't make it thru part one of that. Still glad they're able to keep making games and made Psychonauts 2 tho.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

secretly best girl posted:

It was replaced with Divinity II: Developer's Cut as an all-in-one package with improvements, and so they upgraded anyone who had the old one and delisted it.

DC was great in that it made DKS run well, but I'm still annoyed they removed the multi-stage aspect of the flying fortress levels.

DC though is now in rough shape because of all the annoying stuff like broken gfx settings and modern mouse polling sometimes breaking FPS and performance. It's like they programed DKS to work in a specific timeframe, then updated it once to work in another specific timeframe, really weird.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 4, 2023

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

FastestGunAlive posted:

It’s a crusader kings - hearts of iron crossover game. Your monarch gets isekai’d into ww2

gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Costume Quest still holds the champion belt for most satisfying sound effect of french fries sizzling in a videogame.