Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Handsome Wife posted:

You use separate swords for your light and heavy attacks - if you don’t have a second equipped you use your fists for your heavy attack.

I’m playing for the first time and discovered that today, but it is very unintuitive.

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I just wanted to solve a loving murder and the game didn't even let me do that until the DLC comes out.

Lol I forgot how frustrating that game was as a whole. Loads of cool concepts but in the end completely unsatisfying. There was one quest I really wanted to do but you had to farm like 200 really hard to find objects so I just gave it up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Swery better not charge my rear end for that DLC

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

How many people knew about the funky Cait Sith theme, it has replaced Jerma's Enemy as my earworm of choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRY9GxTYrz8

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe I should play FFX-2 where Rikku dresses up as Cait Sith

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rikku dressed up as Roast Beef dressed up as Cait Sith

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

IMO Outer Worlds is a victim of hype and timing. It came out after the disastrous Fallout 76 and was advertised as being made by the OG Fallout guys so everyone online had really high hopes for it. Could this be the long awaited New Vegas 2? Then Disco Elysium burst onto the scene two weeks before the release date as one of the best written RPGs of all time, The Big Communism Game. Outer Worlds came out and it was wacky and silly without anything to really say politically beyond "what if capitalism but worse and in a funny way?" If Outer Worlds hadn't been released right at that time and wasn't an Obsidian game it would probably be just a weird little 7 or 8/10 game with Fallout vibes. Also the whole name confusion thing.

Of course people are free to dislike things, feelings are weird and the gameplay systems aren't super amazing either.

One scene that I liked is in one quest when you are trying to bring a big mothership thing into the solar system that the game takes place in. The navigation computer is broken so you gotta do rpg stuff before you can do a hyperspace jump. If your character is low intelligence you can decide "nah, I can wing it" and slam the button, flying immediately straight into the sun.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/tggtmdx/status/1631785448925286406

Now we're gaming

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i could be misremembering but i thought you started nier automata with both of your starter swords equipped

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Looper posted:

i could be misremembering but i thought you started nier automata with both of your starter swords equipped

You do but after you blow yourself up you have to go back to the outskirts of that initial dungeon for your chips/big sword.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/LumiPro_EN/status/1630449903385329665

pretty strong indicator that forspoken was a massive flop if the studio's getting iced one month post launch

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Vermain posted:

pretty strong indicator that forspoken was a massive flop if the studio's getting iced one month post launch

Yeah there's an uncharitable meme going around. "Woah, I tanked an entire studio...with my freaking MIND!!!" or something like that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has every major game released in the past month featured performance issues?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

The Unreal Engine 4 curse, but it's mostly an issue on PC due to shader compilation. Consoles are easier because the shaders can be precompiled before the game release.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Why can't they do that on PC

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

You do but after you blow yourself up you have to go back to the outskirts of that initial dungeon for your chips/big sword.

ooh right right i remember that now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The computer is more powerful than the Playstation so surely it should be able to do the thing the Playstation can

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Why can't they do that on PC

There's so many different graphics cards and driver versions it's unfeasible to include pre-compiled shaders for every different permutation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sounds like Nintendoes what Nvidon't

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

I dont think it means much at all, there's really no reason for luminous to exist anymore. tabata's vanity studio founded to do the ff15 dlc, lead on whatever his next game would have been, and support the luminous engine. he's no longer with the company, the ff15 dlc got axed, and the luminous engine is a dead end that isn't going to be used again after forspoken

I think the game would have to do, exceptionally well to justify the studio still being a distinct brand outside of square enix. not like anyone's actually losing their job

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I dont think it means much at all, there's really no reason for luminous to exist anymore. tabata's vanity studio founded to do the ff15 dlc, lead on whatever his next game would have been, and support the luminous engine. he's no longer with the company, the ff15 dlc got axed, and the luminous engine is a dead end that isn't going to be used again after forspoken

I think the game would have to do, exceptionally well to justify the studio still being a distinct brand outside of square enix. not like anyone's actually losing their job

that's a fair read of things, and i'm glad it's likely just gonna be a merger and not any house cleaning

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, presumably they're just gonna get absorbed into CBU I or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

before the reorg they were division 2, they probably would have ended up at cbu1 had luminous not got spun off yeah

I always kinda assumed the scheme with spinning them off was to get into the third party engine licensing business, which seems like an insanely bad place to be

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was just assuming because they seemed to have spun off from XV's production and CBU I was where most of the mainlines were made

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

At the end of the day, it's still not a great look being reabsorbed back into the company due to how poorly your game sold.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is that what happened though

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If the game did well do you think this would be happening?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thinking about how when they cancelled the ff15 dlc and wrote off the expense everyone was like "square lost $300m on ff15", which, wasn't really what happened there either. same vibe

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Sees game developer get dissolved

"That's a great loving merger!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I mean, the 2013 Tomb Raider is the best-selling game in the entire franchise and Square still considered it a failure

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Infinitum posted:

idk I feel like I laid it out pretty well in the first post. what reason do you see why luminous would continue being an independent thing and not part of the same organization as all the other SE studios? would they still be making games with their titular luminous engine? why?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, the 2013 Tomb Raider is the best-selling game in the entire franchise and Square still considered it a failure

I think we need to finally accept the truth that Square made this declaration as a sacrifice for the greater good, so that Hitman Absolution selling well couldn't be used as an excuse to keep making Hitman games with that kind of terrible story/hosed up atmosphere, which created the Hitman 2016 reboot trilogy. Which was a sign of a kind and loving God existing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the new hitman story is pretty bad too, and someone at io still really loves, lovely storytime levels like the train at the end of h3

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

World of Assassination has a story?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

homeless snail posted:

the new hitman story is pretty bad too, and someone at io still really loves, lovely storytime levels like the train at the end of h3

Waffleman_ posted:

It has a perfectly functional bridging story between levels that largely just set the scene for the murder puzzle fun of each level. It's a masterpiece by comparison to the appalling dreck that was Absolution, plus it does a good job of building up the friendship/reliance that Diana and 47 have (which it manages to pull off without any weird nude shower scenes!).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aside from the bad final train level, which I do agree sucked, I think the story was a fun framing device for all the other very good levels.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

are you telling me you didn't notice when the ICA was being manipulated by a mysterious Shadow Client, who played the agency against the operatives of the secret society Providence, and their main representative, The Constant? and did you forget that the Shadow Client was actually agent 47's brother, agent 7 aka Lucas Grey who then worked together with 47 to capture The Constant? and then not a lot happened in hitman 2 because they couldn't afford to make cutscenes but then agent 47's friend Diana Burnwood allowed The Constant to escape their boat because Lucas insinuated to 47 that Diana was betraying them (like she does in every game)? but then, 47 and Lucas kill all the heads of Providence AND blow up the secret ICA assassination computer which gives The Constant an opportunity to seize control of Providence aboard his secret train and make Diana the new The Constant completing her betrayal but turns out actually she's only pretending to flip and is still agent 47's friend (like she does in every game!!). only agent 47 can stop the evil The Constant at the front of his murder train, by starting at the back of it and walking in a straight line killing everyone in ever car. missed all that?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
now you can tastefully decorate 47's house and do a little fishing on the lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unlocking the motorcycle in agent 47s garage.
Diana: "nice job 47, now you can ride a motorcycle to your missions"
and the loading screen changes to, 47 riding a motorcycle