Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
quote not edit sniper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
No, I started playing in… December, I think. Just unlucky with my first two zones.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

rjmccall posted:

No, I started playing in… December, I think. Just unlucky with my first two zones.

Was this before or after the mistlands release? (cannot recall when it dropped)

litany of gulps posted:

Can they be used for hauling? I have a bunch in a pen just for fun. I rode one around on a short adventure, but it was largely pointless. Can you load materials on them or have them haul carts, or do you just mean fill your inventory then get on?

At dvergr excavation spots there are large wagon type vehicles. Hopefully they will be constructible and usable at some point.

litany of gulps posted:

If you have a decent parry shield, you can kill them in seconds by just staggering them with a parry then pulling your pickaxe and dismantling them. Whether or not this is worth it, I guess, is entirely dependent on how much you like having windows in your house.

Can't you just get a ton of crystal from the caves?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 2, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

Was this before or after the mistlands release? (cannot recall when it dropped)

Steam says I bought Valheim on December 23rd. Apparently Mistlands came out on December 6th.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

rjmccall posted:

Steam says I bought Valheim on December 23rd. Apparently Mistlands came out on December 6th.

Huh, guess you might just have a bad seed? I had been on a pre-ML map for a bit, and compared the seed in the map viewer with a post-ML map. It was considerably different. Now I am worried about putting too much time into building in mistlnds, my fear is that the biomes will change size again come the upcoming biomes.. And then I figure when the ocean biome drops it's pretty much a must to jump on a fresh map.

Was farting around with the map viewer at work today, just spamming random seeds. Found one that looks decent and the starting spawn is on a very small island, mistlands look decently sized as well. Deer god isn't even on it. May jump to that one soon.
https://valheim-map.world/

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 2, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Huh, guess you might just have a bad seed? I had been on a pre-ML map for a bit, and compared the seed in the map viewer with a post-ML map. It was considerably different. Now I am worried about putting too much time into building in mistlnds, my fear is that the biomes will change size again come the upcoming biomes.. And then I figure when the ocean biome drops it's pretty much a must to jump on a fresh map.

Was farting around with the map viewer at work today, just spamming random seeds. Found one that looks decent and the starting spawn is on a very small island, mistlands look decently sized as well. Deer god isn't even on it. May jump to that one soon.
https://valheim-map.world/

If the biome size difference is a thing I plan on first using one of the upgrade world mod and see if it fucks anything up and if it does, just take my character to a new world and use debug mode to fly around and rebuild my plains/mistlands bases and just essentially skip to that phase. If I'm really feeling creative I might toss down some rudimentary bases with portals in areas like a larve swamp, the trader, etc.

E: I haven't really built much in the Mistlands so far because there really isn't a reason to. The only thing you need is a jotun puff farm and to quickly hop in and out of portals near your sap extractors.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 2, 2023

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice

litany of gulps posted:

If you have a decent parry shield, you can kill them in seconds by just staggering them with a parry then pulling your pickaxe and dismantling them. Whether or not this is worth it, I guess, is entirely dependent on how much you like having windows in your house.

Iron Mace > Golems

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
My main house was getting a little cramped, so I dug out a basement with the plan of putting the eitr refinery in it. Then I realized how huge the refinery is, so I made a little patio on the ground for it. Then I realized it was slowly destroying my house, so I made a nice raised porch for it so it’d hit my house less. Then I decided it would look stupid on the porch and would still end up wrecking my roof, so I finally bowed to reality and made a separate patio with an iron cage.

Explored my second piece of continental Mistlands. This one has a mountain in the middle, which I might use if I decide I want a real base. I might not need one, though: I made a wooden hut to raid an infested mine, and that gave me enough cores to make my rune-table. There is a pristine dig there, though, and I only have ~40 refined eitr left, so if I want to try weapons out… hmm.

Put my rune-table in the basement, so I did get some use out of that after all.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

rjmccall posted:

My main house was getting a little cramped, so I dug out a basement with the plan of putting the eitr refinery in it. Then I realized how huge the refinery is, so I made a little patio on the ground for it. Then I realized it was slowly destroying my house, so I made a nice raised porch for it so it’d hit my house less. Then I decided it would look stupid on the porch and would still end up wrecking my roof, so I finally bowed to reality and made a separate patio with an iron cage.

Explored my second piece of continental Mistlands. This one has a mountain in the middle, which I might use if I decide I want a real base. I might not need one, though: I made a wooden hut to raid an infested mine, and that gave me enough cores to make my rune-table. There is a pristine dig there, though, and I only have ~40 refined eitr left, so if I want to try weapons out… hmm.

Put my rune-table in the basement, so I did get some use out of that after all.

I just put my refinery outside of an occupied dvergr tower, and the crafting table inside. The little guys protect it.
(This is after having smashed their shield idol of course)

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I need to come up with a new forge design that has both the black forge and regular forge spaces. My current forge/workshop area is far too cramped with the decorations and design to try to add a black forge to it and make it look good.

I ended up making a new black marble area with the eitr refinery, galdr table, and black forge which works ok, but it's far enough away that hauling some of the minerals up there is a bit of a pain. I think I'll ultimately settle on the eitr refinery and table together with the black forge in the old forge area.

I have really liked the look of sinking reinforced chests into walls and floors using the stone arch pieces for the walls and just spacing with the floor pieces, fwiw.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hasselblad posted:

I just put my refinery outside of an occupied dvergr tower, and the crafting table inside. The little guys protect it.
(This is after having smashed their shield idol of course)

Oh, can you smash the idol without making them hate you? That’s surprising, I can never predict what will set them off.

…other than they obviously don’t appreciate getting a sword swipe across the back even if I was aiming for the seeker that was killing them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

Oh, can you smash the idol without making them hate you? That’s surprising, I can never predict what will set them off.

…other than they obviously don’t appreciate getting a sword swipe across the back even if I was aiming for the seeker that was killing them.

If you attack the ward they will come after you. If you smash the ward by ramming a cart into it repeatedly or drop some refined eitr near it so the discharges destroy it, they are fine with it and then once the ward is down everything is fair game. It's a little gamey, imo, but it is nice to move in and repair their base for them in return.

No idea what happens if you build a new ward though.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

rjmccall posted:

Well, YOU are not smashing it. The cart is.

Ravenfood posted:

It's a little gamey, imo, but

I wouldn't mind so much if the little buggers respawned and the ward slowly repaired the building. It just seem really odd that there is a friendly trader of that race in the game, and they are neutral with them, them also being super friendly with helping to kill bugs, and yet you have to either kill members of their race or cheese your way into their chest for a necessary progression item.

They start off neutral, there SHOULD be a mechanic to gain more trust with them. Lacking that mechanic, I'll choose the cheese.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 3, 2023

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I've done the same thing, because it is weird that there is no way to get a sap extractor otherwise. Well, that and hoping gjall shows up and murders them.

Also, chickens: why are cooked eggs so worthless? Down there with cooked deer meat. Cooked chicken meat is at least decent.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Hasselblad posted:

Well, YOU are not smashing it. The cart is.

I wouldn't mind so much if the little buggers respawned and the ward slowly repaired the building. It just seem really odd that there is a friendly trader of that race in the game, and they are neutral with them, them also being super friendly with helping to kill bugs, and yet you have to either kill members of their race or cheese your way into their chest for a necessary progression item.

They start off neutral, there SHOULD be a mechanic to gain more trust with them. Lacking that mechanic, I'll choose the cheese.
I think they respawn after a while, just like any overworld creatures.

It would be nice being able to befriend them or at least calm them down if I accidentally hit them. Maybe let me drop some mead for them as a sign of peace.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Also, chickens: why are cooked eggs so worthless? Down there with cooked deer meat. Cooked chicken meat is at least decent.

Its so you have something to do with them if you don't have the rest of the ingredients for the good stuff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The omelets are kind of a waste but they're not terrible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

The omelets are kind of a waste but they're not terrible.

The mushroom omelets at least have a tier-oppropriate amount of health and stamina even if salads are so much easier. Cooked eggs are just...literally cooked deer meat.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's only really a few foods that make sense If you have all the ingredients available. Aspic If you're a mage, meat pies and meat platters for health, blood pudding salads and bread for stamina.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Once your agriculture game is scaled up, salads and omelettes are the easy choice. Tar Valley Chicken Hut can feed both my wolves and me, i just use my old barley farm. Bonus is that i don't have to feed the chickens separately, the harvest does the work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah there's only really a few foods that make sense If you have all the ingredients available. Aspic If you're a mage, meat pies and meat platters for health, blood pudding salads and bread for stamina.

I'll add fish wraps for being really cheap and easy if you have a good source of fish. My dock has me swimming in fish and I haven't touched the fishing rod for 3 biomes.

I just think the eggs should be something like the middle-ground equivalent like jerky, even if those aren't great either at least they have a purpose.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Ravenfood posted:

I just think the eggs should be something like the middle-ground equivalent like jerky

I think that's a cool idea

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Hah, what a day of bad decisions. I was sailing over towards Queen when I saw a dvergr tower and figured I’d say hi for some reason. Of course they’re all long dead, and the tower is actively being camped by a gjell and a few seekers, and I can’t backpedal fast enough to save myself. Well, I don’t have a base on this continent, time to sail up in my skiff; except for some reason (alcohol) I sail straight there, and hey, my longship is still intact! but now I am dead x2. Great, time to build a new boat and sail up to do it properly; except I’m still a little drunk, and I’m idly steering while doing something else, and suddenly I run aground in the plains, naked, and get attacked by a murdersquito.

Fortunately, that one was on a continent I did have a base on. When I finally got back to the tower, it was still being camped by that gjell, which had eventually decided to finish sinking my ships. Those problems were no match for actually having a bed a few safe islands away, though.

…just the same, I think I’ll give Queen a pass tonight

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Spent some time undercutting one of the taller (has snow on top) columns in mistlands today. Not one of the spires, but rather one of the vertical ones with ledges that often have dverger lamps and such.

They very much float on their own.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

They very much float on their own.

Well that's good to know because I built a wizard tower in one of those. Any griefing attempts would only make the tower cooler.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Washin Tong posted:

Well that's good to know because I built a wizard tower in one of those. Any griefing attempts would only make the tower cooler.

When I was clearing underneath, it got to a point where a ton of the stone above went poof (like a silver vein), but seemed to only happen up to the next "shelf" section.

Only a sample size of 1 spire, mind you. Still, if you encase it it black marble candy shell, I'd imagine it'd be good to go.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

I'll add fish wraps for being really cheap and easy if you have a good source of fish. My dock has me swimming in fish and I haven't touched the fishing rod for 3 biomes.

I just think the eggs should be something like the middle-ground equivalent like jerky, even if those aren't great either at least they have a purpose.

I've moved away from 25 minute food mostly but yeah they are good.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hasselblad posted:

When I was clearing underneath, it got to a point where a ton of the stone above went poof (like a silver vein), but seemed to only happen up to the next "shelf" section.

Only a sample size of 1 spire, mind you. Still, if you encase it it black marble candy shell, I'd imagine it'd be good to go.

Apparently the entire mistlands stone terrain is like 2-3 basic assets that are rotated, scaled, and laid on top of each other to create all of the different shapes. I'll bet you just mined out one of those subcomponents.

See this crazy person's build for a better explanation, should be timestamped to 53s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Q5zwB9XvE&t=52s

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well the Queen fight was satisfying. Interesting that they put it in a dungeon — you can’t cheese it with terrain hacks, but you can semi-cheese it by building a fire, bed, and portal right outside the door. Although that must be intended, given that they put those rooms there.

Anyway, I wedged my butt against a wall, popped Bonemass, and slashed her in the face with Mistwalker until she died. Plus however much damage I could throw at her between blocks while Bonemass was down. Went though two Bonemass cycles in the main attempt, plus one for a sort of scouting effort. I also died a lot — looks like five times in that main attempt?

I know Mistwalker isn’t much better than the blackmetal sword against her because she’s immune to Spirit, but it is a little better. Krom is pure slashing, but it’s uselessly slow — you can’t always get the full combo off with a one-hander, but you can a lot, like when she roars to summon more adds. And I like swords.

I get why everyone complains about the weapons this tier, though; definitely feels like none of them are designed to fight the enemies in Mistlands. So much piercing and spirit damage! Be a mage, I guess.

I went for a celebratory run in the meadows after sacrificing her trophy and got ganked by a couple of started ticks, so I guess that’s already happening. Also the wiki describes seeker spawns in the meadows at night as “very rare”, but I ran into three packs on that one run.

Anyway, time to make some magic weapons and wait for the next expansion.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Mistwalker does have the Frost component so there is some extra damage to her that the blackmetal sword won't have. Same reason himminafl has been kicking rear end for me once I got it. That said, mage seems the way to go moving forward for me as I gear up for the Queen as well.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1633097096948580358

also small new patch on public test version, should improve performance, fix bugs and there are some changes to Mistlands content

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Let me put beards on the ladies you cowards!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Emptied out the skull that was conveniently next to the Queen shrine, made myself some robes and a frost staff, and went to town on a bunch of goblins. It’s not subtle magic, but it’s fun as a change-up, and it’s definitely the best way to hunt loxen.

Being able to fire an entire eitr pool’s worth of spells into something and then immediately sprint away really makes you appreciate how much physical combat is balanced around all the competing drains on stamina.

I guess I need to hunt down a lot more skulls to try out the other staffs. Mage food being made with sap does explain why it’s so much more plentiful than brain-stuff.

I did stumble across my first dvergr house with a mine in the basement. Not sure I need anything from mines, though.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

rjmccall posted:

Emptied out the skull that was conveniently next to the Queen shrine, made myself some robes and a frost staff, and went to town on a bunch of goblins. It’s not subtle magic, but it’s fun as a change-up, and it’s definitely the best way to hunt loxen.

Being able to fire an entire eitr pool’s worth of spells into something and then immediately sprint away really makes you appreciate how much physical combat is balanced around all the competing drains on stamina.

I guess I need to hunt down a lot more skulls to try out the other staffs. Mage food being made with sap does explain why it’s so much more plentiful than brain-stuff.

I did stumble across my first dvergr house with a mine in the basement. Not sure I need anything from mines, though.

Whilst the frost staff is dps- wise an inch above the rest, I dare you to use the fire staff on goblin villages. Its like viking war crime +10 of innecesary vengeance and if it doesnt make you giggle you might want to double-check your valheim experience.

There are no Good vikings on the 10th world.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

rjmccall posted:

You made a staff so you have cores already, but as far as I can tell once you have 15 cores and built your refinery, galdr table, and black forge you're done with needing cores. The only other thing in mines is the seal breaker and grabbing royal jelly if you want it.

E: and yeah, in addition to being a nice source of elemental damage, magic's biggest advantage has to be uncoupling your damage from your stamina. (And your health from your health if you want).

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 8, 2023

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The visual design team of mistlands should be promoted imo. The person who thought actually the mist should be a permanent feature and not a zone barrier you have to get past should be shot into the sun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eediot Jedi posted:

The visual design team of mistlands should be promoted imo. The person who thought actually the mist should be a permanent feature and not a zone barrier you have to get past should be shot into the sun.

What? No, I love it. The only change I would make would be to let you build the dvergr lighthouse for larger mist clearing and maybe to upgrade your wisplight for a tiny bit more clearance.

I love that there are open areas in the mist sometimes. Stumbling onto those feels so great.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Honestly, just let dvergr lanterns clear mist in a larger radius than the wisp torches. The mist is an impediment at first, but I found that eventually once you get the lay of the land and upgrade your equipment, it's really not that bad.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Somewhere in between is probably ideal.

As-is its incredibly restrictive and hides what can be a spectacular landscape. Every time I find a decently sized natural clearing I mark it for later because they're so rare.

On the other hand it would be super weird if it were fully cleared. Spotting enemies before they aggro'd would be trivially easy, and I'll bet the landscape looks pretty funky if you could see it fully unobstructed. I also have a suspicion that the mist is partly to keep performance up. Someone on my server found a huge mist free area and after just some moderate construction my FPS dropped off a cliff.

Bigger lamp radius would probably do the trick like a few people have said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The wisp mod that defaults to 2x range is very, very good

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/2103

Still need a wisplight, but you can actually see stuff, especially if you take over a dverger building. Mistlands is so beautiful and it's nice to be able to actually see it.