Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

WarEternal posted:

Pretty sure different weapons have different parry windows.

Deflect rating is a weapon stat, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Quick impressions: I am seeing those (shader compilation-related?) stutters when certain things happen but my 3080 ti is otherwise running this at a very smooth 120 FPS at 1440p with maxed settings, other than ambient occlusion because that setting is the cause of the white flickers. did not need to do anything with the FPS cap in nvidia control panel or anything. I do have G sync enabled, if that affects it.

Takes No Damage posted:

Can confirm for PS4. It even stuck me at the same flag I was at in stage 2 so I had to finish it again to continue on :haw:

You should be able to pick the next level from "Travel" at a battle flag.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 4, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

can confirm, it's sick as gently caress

when you buy and launch the full game for the 1st time it'll ask if you want to import your demo save*, if that's what you mean. you'll pick up right where the demo left off

(edit) * on steam, that is, but I can't imagine other platforms being any different

Can confirm for PS4. It even stuck me at the same flag I was at in stage 2 so I had to finish the level again to continue on :haw:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Calidus posted:

Lu Bu might be one of team ninja’s best bosses. Yea they mashed up bloodborne boss with a Sekiro boss but I don’t care.

That was a really fun fight although I feel like him getting back on the horse didn't really add much. He's so easy in that phase it just kind of made the fight arbitrarily longer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Takes No Damage posted:

Can confirm for PS4. It even stuck me at the same flag I was at in stage 2 so I had to finish the level again to continue on :haw:
lol nice. i just started over anyway 'cause i wanted to go back and do this on the way through the tutorial level

https://i.imgur.com/LwNNAF7.mp4
get poo poo upon you long-arm centipede wannabe

this game just might kick rear end, y'all :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Heads up to anyone playing on gamepass; the "Baihu Armor" in the xbox shop was free. There's a couple paid armor sets (transmogs?) that I think come with different editions of the game but that one set was free to redeem.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

gently caress. THAT. COW.

Just holy poo poo, I beat it, but gently caress that cow

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Quick impressions: I am seeing those (shader compilation-related?) stutters when certain things happen but my 3080 ti is otherwise running this at a very smooth 120 FPS at 1440p with maxed settings, other than ambient occlusion because that setting is the cause of the white flickers. did not need to do anything with the FPS cap in nvidia control panel or anything. I do have G sync enabled, if that affects it.

yeah, i started getting a couple white flickers by the time of the third mission, so shader compilation is my guess

Ciaphas posted:

lol nice. i just started over anyway 'cause i wanted to go back and do this on the way through the tutorial level

https://i.imgur.com/LwNNAF7.mp4
get poo poo upon you long-arm centipede wannabe

this game just might kick rear end, y'all :v:

a tip for those guys i figured out after a ton of grinding: their claw hitbox is surprisingly small, so when they start doing their fury swipes, you should only strafe sideways and not try to backpedal, as changes in the terrain can push your deflect hop out of range of the claws and lead to you getting clobbered

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Diephoon posted:

Deflect rating is a weapon stat, yes.

The weapon stat (Deflect Difficulty) affects the spirit cost of deflecting, i don't think it affects the parry frames or timing at all. Deflect Difficulty is an awful name for this and also counterintuitive since higher Deflect Difficulty is better. Heavier weapons have lower DD so they cost more spirit per deflect attempt, lighter weapons have higher DD so the spirit cost is lower. I think this also means that successful deflects with heavy weapons will end restoring less spirit because of the higher cost.

The Agility stat (i.e. equip load) is the only thing I could find that claims to make deflecting easier according to the tooltips.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"I shall protect you from further harm!" *does not protect me from further harm*

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

explosivo posted:

Heads up to anyone playing on gamepass; the "Baihu Armor" in the xbox shop was free. There's a couple paid armor sets (transmogs?) that I think come with different editions of the game but that one set was free to redeem.

Thank you for this! It says it is available until March 16th fyi.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ojetor posted:

The weapon stat (Deflect Difficulty) affects the spirit cost of deflecting, i don't think it affects the parry frames or timing at all. Deflect Difficulty is an awful name for this and also counterintuitive since higher Deflect Difficulty is better. Heavier weapons have lower DD so they cost more spirit per deflect attempt, lighter weapons have higher DD so the spirit cost is lower. I think this also means that successful deflects with heavy weapons will end restoring less spirit because of the higher cost.

The Agility stat (i.e. equip load) is the only thing I could find that claims to make deflecting easier according to the tooltips.

Dang, guess I was getting placebo effect when I assumed my dual scimitars were a lot better at parrying than my wooden mallet. A lot of it is probably due to not being locked into long weapon swing animations with the fast weapons so I can get to deflecting sooner.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can I deflect everything (assuming I have enough stamina)? Or should I be guarding/rolling more?

Also does upgrading armor have a big effect on defense?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm torn between googling what weapon classes exist and just being pleasantly surprised. As long as I can get a big stupid weapon and a meme weapon like hatchets I'll be happy.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Whoever said that the deflect timing feels forgiving early, that matches my experience. So much so that you can kinda fish with your dodge to try and get it. Doesn't replace learning it cold but it feels a whole lot better than eating poo poo every time you try to do it.

The only other game I tried learning to parry in was Sekiro, and much like Sekiro does, this game makes it just forgiving enough that even when you're still trying to figure it out, you can get a few solid successes, which encourages you to try more, which compounds.

It makes me want to go back and play naked dodge parry guys in all the Souls games. Haha

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

poe meater posted:

Can I deflect everything (assuming I have enough stamina)? Or should I be guarding/rolling more?

I'm a good ways in and I don't think there has been a single attack that wasn't deflectable. Even giant enemies jumping 30 feet into the air to stomp me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

poe meater posted:

I haven't come across anything I can't parry yet. Arrows, logs, lighting, bad vibes, etc. On the flip side all of those red aura attacks the enemies do are unblockable.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

how do you tell what bosses are weak to elementally. what the gently caress am I missing

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I searched youtube for "wo long weapon types" and there's 27? the gently caress

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think you just have to use context clues. Sometimes it's obvious, like this guy's casting lightning so he's probably Wood, this guy's using Chaos/Poison so he's probably metal, etc.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Diephoon posted:

Dang, guess I was getting placebo effect when I assumed my dual scimitars were a lot better at parrying than my wooden mallet. A lot of it is probably due to not being locked into long weapon swing animations with the fast weapons so I can get to deflecting sooner.

May be placebo as well but weapon swing speed absolutely does feel like it matters for swap parries.

poe meater posted:

I'm going heavy defense just to test it out and I do feel noticeably more durable. I went back to fight the first boss at the end of the demo with the full Lieutenant General set and I played so absolutely sloppy it was embarrassing and I still won handily. You'll still take a beating from unblockable attacks though and the parry window gets so tiny I was basically kissing a boss to deflect properly. I also found a spear that gives a damage buff the higher your weight is so that's cool.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I really need to get out of the habit of feathering the parry button like this is Sekiro. That’s a great way to tank my spirit.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tatsuta Age posted:

how do you tell what bosses are weak to elementally. what the gently caress am I missing

there's a tutorial that briefly brings it up, but you gotta intuit it a little from what they do: Wood counters Earth (anything burrowing/stone related), Earth counters Water (anything aquatic or using water/ice attacks), Water counters Fire (fire dudes), Fire counters Metal (anything related to toxins/poisons like snakes), Metal counters Wood (anything involving lightning or healing/restoration)

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

poe meater posted:

I have found so far that most things that give me trouble i can deflect. Like wooden logs and spells.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Vermain posted:

there's a tutorial that briefly brings it up, but you gotta intuit it a little from what they do: Wood counters Earth (anything burrowing/stone related), Earth counters Water (anything aquatic or using water/ice attacks), Water counters Fire (fire dudes), Fire counters Metal (anything related to toxins/poisons like snakes), Metal counters Wood (anything involving lightning or healing/restoration)

ah thats fine, I figured they would have an indicator or icon or something but this makes sense

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

good gravy, the second half of act 3 mission 2 does not gently caress around in the slightest

if you're not carefully tugging everything out into a 1v1 you quickly get overwhelmed by like 5 dudes and these dual swordsmen would give zoro a run for his money

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What weapon groups are people finding their jam so far?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

What weapon groups are people finding their jam so far?

Halberds have been my favorite so far. They hit super hard and the normal attack has a solid AOE.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Is the big monkey a mid level boss of level 2 or did I miss a bunch of stuff? I think I only have 3 battle flags up.

I completely suck at deflecting anything and I find the enemies moves really hard to read, but fortunately the big critical attacks of the first two bosses seem to have very forgiving timing.

Are wizardry and martial arts ever worth using? The offensive spells seem to do almost nothing. Water’s cloud stance at least seems to make deflection super cheap.

Also, when can I expect to find more weapon types? So far I like the cudgel and straight saber, but I’d love to try out more stuff.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1448440/view/3653020193862501926?l=english

doesn't look like they've got any solutions to the white flickering beyond "update your drivers" at the moment, but they're aiming to get a patch out soon that'll presumably address some of the worst of the slowdowns/stuttering and fix mouselook, thank god

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Are wizardry and martial arts ever worth using? The offensive spells seem to do almost nothing. Water’s cloud stance at least seems to make deflection super cheap.

Also, when can I expect to find more weapon types? So far I like the cudgel and straight saber, but I’d love to try out more stuff.

the main benefit of the earlier wizardries is that they can apply their respective debuffs very quickly to enemies that are vulnerable to that specific phase, and are reasonably useful against regular mooks. it's hard to keep up the pressure enough with them to get debuffs out on most bosses, at least from my experience, although the later wizardries might make that easier

as for weapon types, you'll start getting some from drops, and there's a merchant just past that monkey boss that sells some basic white versions of the other weapon types that you can trial out

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 4, 2023

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What's up with the descriptions of magic and martial arts saying they require spirit to use when they don't? Spirit's the guage on the right that build up from attacking, right?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Not a big fan of coop requiring me to watch the cutscenes after helping someone complete a boss.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Everyone should put a second point in water cloud dance is amazing. Water is better than I expected, frost weapon is very nice for boss fights. I have played around with Wood, Fire and Water so far. Wood just a solid stat to have nothing bad to say about it. If you keep wood spirit summon buff up it’s kinda you generally get an extra summon or sometimes to in a boss fight. Fire you can really go glass cannon, I am having a lot fun with it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

What's up with the descriptions of magic and martial arts saying they require spirit to use when they don't? Spirit's the guage on the right that build up from attacking, right?

spirit has two different "parts" to it: high spirit (the blue bar), and low spirit (the orange bar). you start at neutral between the two and build up spirit by attacking, which will either push you into high spirit or help push you out of low spirit. any time you can't pay the full cost of a spell or martial art with high spirit, it'll push you into low spirit to pay for it, and bottoming out on low spirit (such as by spamming spells and then getting hit once by an enemy) will stagger you and make you highly vulnerable to getting attacked and killed

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Deified Data posted:

They do. The whole gauge is spirit. This is explained in the tutorials but the different colors might be confusing.

This is a game that will test the gamer's reading comprehension (may need to be at higher than American average without videos explaining).

Seriously though the tooltips and tutorials are pretty helpful but they may not be immediately intuitive from other games.

satanic splash-back fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 4, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

poe meater posted:

Can I deflect everything (assuming I have enough stamina)?

You can deflect everything, including fall damage.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Calidus posted:

Lu Bu might be one of team ninja’s best bosses. Yea they mashed up bloodborne boss with a Sekiro boss but I don’t care.

Currently getting stomped repeatedly by this boss and it also reminded me of Sekiro. Specific of the Owl boss. Not because of any real similarity between the two bosses movesets but because I keep almost getting them and then getting greedy and eating poo poo.

Legit the only boss so far I didn't like was the Giant hair ball with the horse face thing?. Mostly because I feel like I just got lucky rather than actually got a feel for it's crazy-rear end moveset.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's the deal with magic? It feels extremely weak. I'll probably load up on buffs and try that instead but so far I don't see the point.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Eschatos posted:

What's the deal with magic? It feels extremely weak. I'll probably load up on buffs and try that instead but so far I don't see the point.

It can nullify boss spells if it counters them but outside of that I haven't found it very useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Crowetron posted:

Currently getting stomped repeatedly by this boss and it also reminded me of Sekiro. Specific of the Owl boss. Not because of any real similarity between the two bosses movesets but because I keep almost getting them and then getting greedy and eating poo poo.

It’s good challenge it took me at least 20 attempts and I have done everything else in 5 or less. Let me guess you deflected an unblockable attack went to punish and then he started another unblockable attack.