Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

celewign posted:

Just finished the end and the death.

Wow what a book.

Just started it. The audiobook is amazing so far - Keeble's narration just flows so well with Abnett's dialogue. Haunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Iron Within was weird. The quality of the models and animation were really bad and great at the same time. I think what bothered me the most was that everything was just so quiet. No ambient noise at all. Just weird silence in the middle of a warzone. No weird humming going on from their lasguns waiting to be fired, or anything like that.

Fun story tho.

Rewatched Astartes right after and that dude just nails everything. Bolters have weight behind them. Space Marines make clomping noises as you'd expect. I really would also like to know what he's been doing for almost 2 years now.

Maybe GW said "You're going to make a 2 hour movie and we're going to pitch it to theaters." like what happened in my dreams.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 3, 2023

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

A 2 hour silent movie about giant man children murdering everything in their path would own. I think audiences are ready.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Chemtrailologist posted:

Is he the guy who disobeyed "orders" and ruined the trap that the Blood Angels set?

Erm, thanks for the spoiler lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I remember bouncing off The Devastation of Baal after a point, just found most of the marine characters outside the major named ones to be just petulant and kinda boring.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember bouncing off The Devastation of Baal after a point, just found most of the marine characters outside the major named ones to be just petulant and kinda boring.

It definitely gets a bit repetitive as they get all the troops together, but I think the ending is great.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Tinfoil time! HUGE spoilers for The End and the Death below

The big reveal of the book is that the entire purpose of the Heresy, from the point of view of the Chaos Gods, is to create a fifth Chaos God: the Dark King. Like the Eldar creating Slaanesh, humanity's genocidal civil war will give rise to a new Chaos God that will destroy the species on its way in. The characters assume this is going to be Horus, and many readers are already speculating that it's actually going to be the Emperor instead, and that somehow Oll and his athame are going to stop this from happening. Certainly possible! It's worth noting that Oll's vision of "the killer" in Know No Fear doesn't explicitly name him as Horus.

I don't know how Abnett is going to play this out, but my theory isn't about who the Dark King is going to be. It's about who the Dark King is supposed to be: Konrad Curze.

My starting point is that there is no way that the Emperor doesn't know what's going on. Not a chance. Not only does the Emperor seem to know everything, at least about the Warp, we know that He has specifically collected lore about the Dark King in the Library of Leng. He knows that this is what the Chaos Gods want. He has bent His entire long existence to thwarting them. That much is clear. The Emperor knew that as soon as humanity started to rise, the Chaos Gods would cultivate a Dark King. He couldn't prevent that. He didn't even try. His plan, as we know, is simple: kill the Chaos Gods. Killing the Dark King would, perhaps, be a start to that. Or maybe we don't have to think that big - the Dark King would be a disaster for humanity, the extinction of the species. The core is: the Emperor knew that a Dark King would rise, and that He needed to stop it.

But how?

One line in Prospero Burns that gets a lot of attention is the part where the Wolves tell Kaspar that every Primarch was made for a purpose. Every one had a role. Some are harder to see than others. One especially: why Konrad Curze? Why make him? The "terror weapon" explanation makes no sense. For one thing, there's a lot of overlap there with the World Eaters and Space Wolves. For another thing, the Emperor is ruthlessly pragmatic, and Curze shows that terror weapons don't work. His own homeworld slides back into barbarism the second he leaves it. He's not just cruel and violent - he's ineffective. So no, I have a hard time buying that Curze was just meant to be a living Death Star. But what then?

My theory is that he was meant to be the Dark King. He was meant to be the vessel. The plan was for Curze to turn to Chaos, to be infused by its power, to grow and swell with it, and then at the right moment to be cut down. Snuffed out. The prophecy averted; the Dark King destroyed; the dark fate of humanity, denied. Clinical? Ruthless? Yes, but that's the Emperor in a nutshell, really. So where's my evidence?

1. First and most obvious: Curze has been called the Dark King. There was a whole short story about it more than a decade ago. There's no way that they didn't know at the time that this was what the Heresy was building towards - they had it all worked out. The title was intentional.
2. His portrait appears, crowned and sitting on a throne, at the end of The End and the Death's limited edition. All the Primarchs are going to show up, but which book they appear in matters. Why is Curze, the absent primarch, in the climactic book? And why is he crowned and throned?
3. Curze knew from the start that he was destined to die at the Emperor's hand. It's his defining character trait; it informs everything he does. Remember what he said to the Emperor when he was first found, though:
"That is not my name, Father. I am Night Haunter, and I know full well what you intend for me." What you intend for me. That's important: it's not just that the Emperor will kill him; it's that the Emperor intends to kill him. It's part of the plan.
4. Why doesn't Curze join the siege? Why doesn't he come to Terra? Alone of all the primarchs, he's the only one that doesn't even try. Lorgar is banished; Ferrus and Alpharius are dead (and Omegon is skulking in the shadows somewhere); the Lion and Russ and Guilliman and Corax are trying to get home as fast as they can. Curze doesn't even bother. Can it really be that he doesn't care about a war engulfing his entire species? Or is he staying away on purpose... knowing, maybe, the fate that awaits him if he comes?
5. Relatedly, Curze hates Chaos. He hates it more than anyone, it seems, more even than the loyalists. The other primarchs are all baffled at the first encounter with Chaos. They "number it among the litany of xenos hazards." They try to explain it. Some of them, foolishly, try to control it. Others eventually embrace it. But Curze hates the warp like no other. Remember his words to Lorgar: "You are so much more than merely foul. You are rancid in your corruption." And in The Abyssal Edge, long before Davin, before the first hint of Chaos, he and Magnus bring a planet to compliance. The planet has a library of "forbidden lore." Magnus wants to take and study it, of course, but Curze orders it destroyed - and he's so intent on this that he's even willing to fire on the Thousand Sons. He doesn't hesitate for a moment. He knows it must be destroyed. Why? How can he possibly know?
The Emperor famously didn't warn his sons about Chaos. Whoops! But in The Lost and the Damned, Malcador says he told one, and it doesn't matter who now. To me, that screams Curze: an absent Primarch, one who has already fallen (and so the loyalists don't have to wonder about his loyalty) but who isn't present for the Siege.
Why would the Emperor tell Curze? Several times it's said that He didn't tell his sons about Chaos because He didn't want them to be tempted. But what if he did? What if he wanted one to turn?

So Curze knows about Chaos. Maybe that's the Emperor's mistake. Curze, through his gift of fitful precognition, knows he is to be sacrificed. He knows about Chaos. He's smart enough to realize that the one causes the other. And so he stays away: away from Chaos, away from Terra. He thwarts the Emperor's plan. But he doesn't have the full picture. He doesn't realize that the Dark King will rise, with or without his involvement. He hasn't stopped the war; all he's done is thrown it out of the Emperor's control.

The Chaos Gods are not sentient in the way you or I would understand it, but they're not stupid. They know what the Emperor is planning. And so rather than pour their power into His chosen vessel, they pick another one. They pick Horus. And the Heresy happens, and the Dark King rises... not the way the Emperor planned or intended.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Warden posted:

After finishing the End and the Death vol 1, I am now increasingly convinced that Abnett has beaten the entire editorial team at Black Library into submission, probably with an 19th century thesaurus, and locked them in his basement.

He's completely whipped Kindle's dictionary as well. Overall, probably Abnett's best. We'll have to see how it finishes up, but this was just masterful. He jumps between POVs and you can tell who it is because of how he writes what they're thinking and how they describe the world around them.

It's packed too, I'm looking forward to the re-read because I'm sure I missed some stuff. It was really exciting to get to certain known points in the narrative and watch them unfold. This is shaping up to justify the whole road from the first HH book to here.

Just please stick the landing Dan, it's all we ask.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't buy it, for the simple reason that it is bought up and dismissed within the book.

When Sanguinius asks what "The Dark King" means, Dorn says that it's a title sometimes claimed by Curze, as well as a tarot card. Malcador answers that both definitions are "mere echoes of the real truth".

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
End and the Death: At first I thought the Dark King was supposed to be Samus, who’s been hyped up across like several books, but was that just misdirection? I feel he has to come into play in a major way to make up for all the work put in on him.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Samus is just a very very powerful daemon. He was sort of the ultimate evil in the cosmology of sixty-three nineteen before being eventually set free from imprisonment in their mountains. When the Luna Wolves banished him he went back to doing warp stuff.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Samus is just a very very powerful daemon. He was sort of the ultimate evil in the cosmology of sixty-three nineteen before being eventually set free from imprisonment in their mountains. When the Luna Wolves banished him he went back to doing warp stuff.

Doesn't he show up only to be utterly, easily punked in one of the mid-Heresy books?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sephyr posted:

Doesn't he show up only to be utterly, easily punked in one of the mid-Heresy books?

He gets killed in Know no Fear, but only after he eats about a company worth of ultramarines and one of them grabs an athame from a dead cultist.

By his nature, he is always in your blind spot.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Honestly as a huge 40k nerd and addict. Samus never really came off as that dangerous. I felt like 70% of his danger level in the heresy is that people don't have a context for what the gently caress he is.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah. He was well-written and weird in the first book, Abnett being Abnett, but after that he felt a bit out of place.

And the whole athame thing still cracks me up. "We have to use these weird evil daggers to kill daemons because they are the only thing that kills these weird, unreal monsters" changed reeeal fast to "um, actually just shooting and stabbing them with any decent weapon does the trick just fine!"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Until they learn to hate them, the loyalists can't fight daemons effectively. To them bolters are just tools, they're a dispassionate way of doing a job with a maximum cost benefit ratio. That's why they need blades and fire to start with - they make the fight more real, and it needs to be real to hurt them. Once they start mouthing a curse with every trigger pull, things change.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm tired of stupid Samus and his gimmick.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I just don't think the morph ball gels with how technology works in 40k, so even With Abnett writing her something was just off.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

wiegieman posted:

Until they learn to hate them, the loyalists can't fight daemons effectively. To them bolters are just tools, they're a dispassionate way of doing a job with a maximum cost benefit ratio. That's why they need blades and fire to start with - they make the fight more real, and it needs to be real to hurt them. Once they start mouthing a curse with every trigger pull, things change.

I actually love this; The weapon is irrelevant, it's the emotive intent behind it that matters.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Shockeh posted:

I actually love this; The weapon is irrelevant, it's the emotive intent behind it that matters.

Like all eventually convergences on crab, everything eventually boils down to waaagh.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Black Griffon posted:

Like all eventually convergences on crab, everything eventually boils down to waaagh.
With the psychic ascension of the human race, Gork and Mork will be joined by Kyle, a human avatar with a backwards baseball cap and Monster energy drink that just wants to get rowdy and gently caress poo poo up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dark Eldar vs Guardsmen and I guess the Iron Warriors will show up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_fx72i0Voc

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

wiegieman posted:

And then they start being corrupted by the warp for feeding hate and other chaos-y emotions to the great powers, right?

.....right?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Edit: Found a youtuber that tells me about each book specifically. Nm.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I think I read somewhere that melee weapons actually work better against them because they make the emotive intent stronger.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/03/05/sunday-preview-vashtorr-besieges-the-rock/

Books!
There's a book for everyone next weekend, if you like space marines that is.

First up is the limited edition of Cypher: Lord of The Fallen by John French.

What kind of no resolutions will happen in this one? Who knows!

Speaking of John French, the paperback version of Ahriman: Eternal will also go up next weekend.

As is Knight of Talassar: The Cato Sicarius Omnibus by...ugh Nick Kyme.

Guy Haley's The Rise of The Horned Rat is getting an audiobook release.

And that's it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Shockeh posted:

It's also why the Space Wolves and the White Scars never have any trouble with it - they have a lot of superstition that they learned the hard way.

Sephyr posted:

And then they start being corrupted by the warp for feeding hate and other chaos-y emotions to the great powers, right?

.....right?

They already were. The warp is where you go when you die. At least, it is before Emps steps in.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lord Cyber is not very compelling to me. I first came across him in the end and the death. He felt more comic booky than normal for Horus Hearsy which is already quite comic booky

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just finished a re-read of The End And The Death.

I'm almost certain that every quote hat Sindermann and co. say in the Library of Leng refers to things that happen in previous and future chapters. Malcador is using them as conduits, speaking sigils which he uses to influence events, and/or the collapse of reality and the transmutation of the palace into the Inevitable City gives power to words spoken in that significant place

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just finished it last night and think either the emperor or Horus could be the dark king.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arc Hammer posted:

Are we sure that this isn't what the Astartes guy has been working on? 'Cause it's in an extremely similar style.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Astartes looked better.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
Whats a good entry point into the series if I like the youtube shorts lore I hear? Which book has the most lore packed into it and gives me a good overview of the major races. and are like the zerg, the terran, and the protoss modeled after warhammer or vice versa

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Go track down Eisenhorn, Helsreach, Rites of Passage, The Infinite and the Divine, and Brutal Kunnin' and tell us which of them you want more of.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NihilCredo posted:

Are we sure that this isn't what the Astartes guy has been working on? 'Cause it's in an extremely similar style.

If there's a moment in the middle of a combat situation where a marine stops to strike a dramatic pose then its not by the Astartes guy. They only strike a pose after the killing is done.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

kneelbeforezog posted:

Whats a good entry point into the series if I like the youtube shorts lore I hear? Which book has the most lore packed into it and gives me a good overview of the major races. and are like the zerg, the terran, and the protoss modeled after warhammer or vice versa

What the above post listed. You are not going to find a single book with lore on everything. Probably.

Edit: If you could track down an omnibus copy of Let the Galaxy burn it might hight point 2. But lotta that is outdated. It does have (temporarily) redeemed plague marine in it though who calls down an orbital lance strike on his own position, which is dope.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2023

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiegieman posted:

Shockeh posted:

Black Griffon posted:

What was the thing Ravenor said that kept him and his gang from being corrupted, "the armor of Contempt"?

Another non 40k work that has the main characters defeat an eldritch horror that is a lot like a 40k daemon is Pennywise in IT. They off that fucker by hating him to death.
At least in the most recent two movies.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

What was the thing Ravenor Colonel-Commissar Gaunt said that kept him and his gang from being corrupted, "the armor of Contempt"?

Another non 40k work that has the main characters defeat an eldritch horror that is a lot like a 40k daemon is Pennywise in IT. They off that fucker by hating him to death.
At least in the most recent two movies.

Also, there was moth extract from the darkest jungles of Gereon. Which frankly might be an Isha thing given the amount of life that thrived in that swamp.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In a way, it was said by both of them, because the 'armor of contempt' bit is from Ravenor's The Spheres of Longing, which Gaunt was quoting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I wonder how succesful the whole warhammer+ paid subscription has been for them. I feel like they would have been much better off doing a deal with Netflix or Disney or whatever. I can't imagine people have been very excited with the slow pace of new content from warhammer+.