Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Thanks PG&E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Thanks Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMksfHXOQQY

Looks like he'll be speaking at a few Republican affairs on Sunday.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Huh, turns out you can erase a decade of drought in a single year!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
from the titles of the map maybe you mean a week? way to crunch down and meet those OKRs, storm

also, praise be to the new thread title

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

Comparing the maps and dates this looks like incredibly good news to me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We just gotta frack the hell out of the Central Valley to make room in the aquifer!

Also, speaking of High-Speed Rail, lol @ the CASHR YouTube channel for posting a celebration of Black History Month…on March 1.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
So after an abnormally rainy week, even more of the state is abnormally dry??? I give up!!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Som uch for global warming am i rite!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

CPColin posted:

We just gotta frack the hell out of the Central Valley to make room in the aquifer!

Also, speaking of High-Speed Rail, lol @ the CASHR YouTube channel for posting a celebration of Black History Month…on March 1.

The February pay period included March 1, ergo March 1 is February 30.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

hey Gavin can I finally wash my drat car?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/NickAdamsinUSA/status/1630018010684456961

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FlapYoJacks posted:

We are very much not out of the woods. For a steady water supply in Northern California, you need the snowpack to melt slowly and reasonably evenly. If it all melts within (say) a month, everybody getting water from the Sierras is straight back in drought territory. In any case, one good year doesn't end a drought. It's a breathing space.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a.lo posted:

hey Gavin can I finally wash my drat car?

Just wash your car. You aren't saving the state from devastating drought by not using 7 gallons of water.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1630383152316272641?s=20

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We are very much not out of the woods. For a steady water supply in Northern California, you need the snowpack to melt slowly and reasonably evenly. If it all melts within (say) a month, everybody getting water from the Sierras is straight back in drought territory. In any case, one good year doesn't end a drought. It's a breathing space.

We had a wet winter 2016-2017 that had people declaring the end of drought and then snowpack ran out in the spring, killing vegetation and feeding 2017's fire season :waycool:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love Nick Adams, he's possibly the dumbest person on earth.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

acksplode posted:

We had a wet winter 2016-2017 that had people declaring the end of drought and then snowpack ran out in the spring, killing vegetation and feeding 2017's fire season :waycool:

I think some of that water is in your brain

If by people, you mean the governor of california, yes that period of drought ended when the reservoirs filled and a bunch of rivers flooded. It was the wettest year on record for our state. Snow pack was 190% of average in May and lasted longer than average. It always runs out by the middle of summer. I didn't hear anyone promise there would never be another drought.

The Tubbs fire and Thomas fire, for example, were obviously unaffected by snow pack, since it doesn't usually snow in those watersheds. So think critically about what might have caused those fires (hint: the answers are aren't not enough snow or not enough rain)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kenning posted:

Uh excuse me that's Nick Adams (Alpha Male) thank you very much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kenning posted:

It's fantastic. It's either trump-level stupid or kaufman-level performance art. In either event we win

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Since it was a notice from PG&E I had to do a double and triple check to determine if this credit notice was them telling they’d bill me or pay me.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
https://abc7.com/bullet-train-los-angeles-socal-to-las-vegas-brightline-west-high-speed-rail/12907290/

Gonna be great when the LA-LV hsr project finishes well ahead of the LA-SF one

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

https://abc7.com/bullet-train-los-angeles-socal-to-las-vegas-brightline-west-high-speed-rail/12907290/

probably the only rail LA wants, anyway

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mickeyland subway to the sea would be cool. HSR to get you to Downtown Disney or Malibu in 10 minutes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Mickeyland subway to the sea would be cool. HSR to get you to Downtown Disney or Malibu in 10 minutes

you think orange county will actually get usable public transit in this decade???

although, I kinda want to try the santa ana streetcar

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

i hope it just doesn’t stop at the boarder and you walk the rest of the way

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sb hermit posted:

Nah LA is fine with rail, we're building a ton of metro

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Probably easier to get easements and permits through the Mojave than through the greater Bay Area

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Nah LA is fine with rail, we're building a ton of metro

I mean, rail leading outside of southern california.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

a.lo posted:

on the other hand, just drop me off at Primm. They have a craps table. (I haven't been to Primm in decades, though)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

a.lo posted:

I definitely wouldn't put it past Nevada/Vegas. They have a monorail on the Strip that doesn't go to the airport due to the taxi cab / ride share lobby.

I've walked from the Airport to the Strip multiple times out of pure spite

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
So they're going to terminate it in Rancho Cucamonga, which means basically a gigantic suburb over an hour east of downtown LA.

Eventually they're going to connect it in Palmdale to the North/South hsr line.

They're not going to connect it directly to LA proper. There is a metro line to RC but it's going to be another hour of rail, or 2 depending on where you live in LA.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jaxyon posted:

So they're going to terminate it in Rancho Cucamonga, which means basically a gigantic suburb over an hour east of downtown LA.

So, it's definitely never going to go through Pasadena. Maybe City of Industry. Very curious how/if it'll even touch LA.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

jokes posted:

So, it's definitely going to go through Pasadena. Maybe City of Industry. Very curious how/if it'll even touch LA.

What? No that's no where near Pasadena.

It touches LA if you consider the LA metro as LA. It doesn't touch LA if you are considering LA to be downtown.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

e: nvm

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Rancho and Hesperia lmao.

Another one of those fantastic "take the rail *with minibus 2.5 hour interlude" services that LA loves

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean, unless they convert an existing rail corridor it seems like there's no way in hell you get close to union station. connecting to an existing line out in the boonies is the only way to avoid the impassable morass of real estate purchasing and legal challenges you'd face trying to bulldoze through the urban sprawl

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sb hermit posted:

on the other hand, just drop me off at Primm. They have a craps table. (I haven't been to Primm in decades, though)

Watch out for Powder Gangers.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i mean, unless they convert an existing rail corridor it seems like there's no way in hell you get close to union station. connecting to an existing line out in the boonies is the only way to avoid the impassable morass of real estate purchasing and legal challenges you'd face trying to bulldoze through the urban sprawl

They should just tunnel under it. Yeah, it's expensive, but others have done it. Taiwan's HSR starts with ~9 miles of tunnel under city denser than LA that lets them connect to Taipei Station. Both Taiwan and Japan are very mountainous and their high speed rail projects involved a lot of tunneling. The problem is, and will always be, that America is allergic to non-car infrastructure spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Los Angeles doesn't have the density for rail. Consider that no-one would ride Cheyenne Wyoming to Manhattan Kansas, ergo it wouldn't work in SoCal