Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm dredging deep here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My best on some DJ contract

actual pay outs:
23 - $33m - guaranteed
24 - $39m - guaranteed
25 - $45m - not guaranteed
26 - $50m - not guaranteed.

Really a 2 year franchise tag deal with 2 dummy years that give you the $40m per headline that if he actually performs with receivers or whatever they can extend / restructure those last two years / blah blah blah.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Poco posted:

What's the deal with Richardson? I really only pat arlttention to the razorbacks with college ball. I'm guessing he's like Cam but worse?

I'm not a college football guy, but from what I've heard and as I understand it he's considered a "tools" guy which is, elite arm, elite athleticism but the between the ears part and technical part of the game needs development. In other words he's one of those guys who "if he puts it together will be the next..." Allen had that same knock - if you consider it that coming out. The difference is that Allen kind of had that red-headed step child QB development where he didn't go to the fancy boi QB schools and development camps where you have coaches teaching the ins and outs of technique etc from birth. When he got to the NFL and received it, alongside a development pathway it all worked out.

Richardson has from what I've heard, had all of those development leg ups but he still looks a lot like he never has. Guys keep pointing to specific drives or quarters where he's shown elite touch and accuracy and velocity and all that poo poo that makes scouts excited but he's failed more than he's succeeded. As much as everyone likes to have those pie in the sky come the hour come the man dreams about prospects it's waaaaay more likely people fall to the level of their ability under pressure rather than rise to the occasion and his floor is real fuckin' low.

I still think there's enough there from what I've seen - watching breakdown videos etc, that maybe the right situation he could be something but I really don't think he's worth trading up for and not for a team that needs a guy to start today. If the plan was for him to sit for two years behind some established veteran on an all star coaching staff, maybe but you have to wonder if he can't thrive with all the advantages he's had off field and all the ones he clearly has in the triangle numbers...

Cam comparably, had a pretty good development path that got hosed by not getting to start at florida, some dumb off field stuff and a Juco transfer, but when he got his chance at Auburn he showed everything you'd want to see from an ascending prospect. No bad games, no bad drives, the ability to just take the gently caress over. He also spent a lot of time working with guys like Chris Weinke and other elite development gurus pre draft. The panthers went deep with their diligence too, reportedly watching every pass from his college career and doing long interviews with his coaches from those camps who all had the same report.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm loving that the Panthers have assembled this all star staff but are high on a bad college QB.

Millen was insistent that Malik Willis would be a first round pick and was climbing into the top half of the draft because he interviewed well. The panthers probably just did their due diligence and spoke to the guy and he got a tumescent at the thought of finally being right with a tweet after being wrong, every single time.

Given they're currently picking at 9 it makes sense for them to consider the 4th best QB when you're the 4th needy team in the draft order. They also spoke positively about Hooker who'd be right there for them in the 2nd if they were so inclined but that's not as sexy in terms of headlines as the Panthers trading up for the polarising prospect.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I'm fine with however much they want to give Jones as long as they don't put themselves in Russell Wilson/ Aaron Rodgers cap hell if they decide he's not the guy after 2 years. They need a top flight WR but there's gently caress all in FA to spend on anyway and the cap will continue to go up so v:shobon:v

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Diva Cupcake posted:

Also, Schefter saying Rodgers' choices will most likely either be retirement or the Jets.
https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1631730475071938572

So he’s going to Tampa Bay then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

I'm not a college football guy, but from what I've heard and as I understand it he's considered a "tools" guy which is, elite arm, elite athleticism but the between the ears part and technical part of the game needs development.

He's somewhere in between Cam or Josh Allen and Logan Thomas, which is a wide rear end gap and I have no idea which direction he'll end up going. Just super elite athleticism and arm talent, but for whatever reason he's never put it together other than for a game or two here and there.

Before this last year Dan Mullen didn't like him or trust him apparently, which may have cost him his job but also makes me wonder what he didn't see in him. But Mullen rode the Emory Jones train straight to unemployment rather than give Richardson a shot to really play other than as a wildcat QB outside of 2 games. He's sort of a mystery box because he only actually got to start one year, his accuracy is not the greatest looking but whew when he does something right he does it right.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 4, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I can't think of anything more terrifying than one year starter with athletic traits. Just screams DO NOT DRAFT!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sataere posted:

I can't think of anything more terrifying than one year starter with athletic traits. Just screams DO NOT DRAFT!

You’re not wrong but if he’s the only elite qb prospect left at a certain point then most teams kind of have to gamble. Teams either have a franchise qb or they don’t. Outside of SF, those teams that don’t have a franchise qb don’t get playoff success.

5% chance of a franchise qb is better than 0%.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ornery and Hornery posted:

You’re not wrong but if he’s the only elite qb prospect left at a certain point then most teams kind of have to gamble. Teams either have a franchise qb or they don’t. Outside of SF, those teams that don’t have a franchise qb don’t get playoff success.

5% chance of a franchise qb is better than 0%.

I mean, you can get 5% in the second or third round. You don't waste a top ten pick on it

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I’m not sure any of this class of QBs would be considered elite prospects. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye would both probably be rated higher than Young or Stroud.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Sataere posted:

I mean, you can get 5% in the second or third round. You don't waste a top ten pick on it

I’m not going to argue the exact % or the threshold for elite franchise QB.

Teams are much more likely to get a franchise qb from prospects that the market determine are worth first rounders compared to prospects in later rounds.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’m not sure any of this class of QBs would be considered elite prospects. Caleb Williams and Drake Maye would both probably be rated higher than Young or Stroud.

Stroud is loving amazing and I’m shocked he is not the consensus #1. Well, besides his terrible media presence and looking up to Watson lol

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm at the point where I want the Colts to draft Stroud but if they draft Richardson at least it should be pretty entertaining

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

I think being considered a top five draft pick makes you an elite prospect. If you are trying to compare to guys like Luck coming out, I'd argue those guys are generational talents. Those kind of players only come out rarely.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’m not sure any of this class of QBs would be considered elite prospects.

:agreed:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sataere posted:

I think being considered a top five draft pick makes you an elite prospect. If you are trying to compare to guys like Luck coming out, I'd argue those guys are generational talents. Those kind of players only come out rarely.
If you actually get drafted in the top 5, then sure. Maybe. Was Trubisky elite but not Watson? Was Bortles? Lots of mid QB prospects get pegged as top 5 picks by analysts and even then the reality of the draft hits and they’re a late 1st or in Malik Willis’ case a 3rd rounder.

Which is to say Richardson is not in any way an elite prospect imo.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Stroud is loving amazing and I’m shocked he is not the consensus #1. Well, besides his terrible media presence and looking up to Watson lol

He needs to keep saying dumb poo poo so he falls all the way to five.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

If you actually get drafted in the top 5, then sure. Maybe. Was Trubisky elite but not Watson? Was Bortles? Lots of mid QB prospects get pegged as top 5 picks by analysts and even then the reality of the draft hits and they’re a late 1st or in Malik Willis’ case a 3rd rounder.

I thought Lance Zierlein's take on ATN the other day was interesting, that amateur/media draft analysis is becoming increasingly disconnected from NFL team analysis because it drives more clicks. Resulting in as you said "wtf Malik Willis fell to the 3rd round??? He was day 1 in every mock" when apparently no team gave a poo poo about him and based on early returns he is not good

I don't think being drafted high makes you ipso facto an incredible prospect. Diva's mention of Trubisky, where the Bears played themselves to get him, is a perfect example. Sometimes teams just suck rear end at evaluating guys. Lamar went with the literal last pick of the first round, and teams were asking him if he would convert to WR. Was he a bad prospect or were 31 teams loving morons?

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 4, 2023

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

I thought Watson and Mahomes were elite talents in that draft. I was way higher on that class than everyone else was. I don't think this class is that far off.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I thought Lance Zierlein's take on ATN the other day was interesting, that amateur/media draft analysis is becoming increasingly disconnected from NFL team analysis because it drives more clicks. Resulting in as you said "wtf Malik Willis fell to the 3rd round??? He was day 1 in every mock" when apparently no team gave a poo poo about him and based on early returns he is not good

I don't think being drafted high makes you ipso facto an incredible prospect. Diva's mention of Trubisky, where the Bears played themselves to get him, is a perfect example. Sometimes teams just suck rear end at evaluating guys. Lamar went with the literal last pick of the first round, and teams were asking him if he would convert to WR. Was he a bad prospect or were 31 teams loving morons?

It does happen quite a bit, especially when some guys come off the board and everyone on the internet is like 'LOL' 'LMAO' "OMFG' and every team has them in the top two or three at the position and it shocks no one in the know. There's some funny poo poo that happens too but I'm never that surprised when someone goes 2nd at their position and draftniks have them at like 12th or something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm at the point where I want the Colts to draft Stroud but if they draft Richardson at least it should be pretty entertaining

Lol they will trade back and sign Baker.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Teams were morons with Lamar, yes. A lot of us on TFF had him as the best QB in the 2018 draft class.

Don't ask about our evaluation of Josh Rosen from the same draft class.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MrLogan posted:

Teams were morons with Lamar, yes. A lot of us on TFF had him as the best QB in the 2018 draft class.

Don't ask about our evaluation of Josh Rosen from the same draft class.

I was sold on Rosen too. Welp.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah any victory laps Internet draftniks want to take for Lamar is kind of offset by the Rosen and Allen evaluations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Docjowles posted:

I was sold on Rosen too. Welp.

I don't know if Rosen had a high ceiling, but I feel like that man was set up to fail

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinji2015 posted:

I don't know if Rosen had a high ceiling, but I feel like that man was set up to fail

Yeah I don't think I was sold on Rosen exactly. But I had no idea he'd be so disastrous and helped along that path to being disastrous every single step of the way. And being given a shove if he wasn't getting bad enough fast enough at times.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

fsif posted:

Yeah any victory laps Internet draftniks want to take for Lamar is kind of offset by the Rosen and Allen evaluations.

Allen will confuse me for the rest of my life.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I don't think I was sold on Rosen exactly. But I had no idea he'd be so disastrous and helped along that path to being disastrous every single step of the way. And being given a shove if he wasn't getting bad enough fast enough at times.

Yeah, like if there's a textbook example on how not to treat a developing QB it's his career

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a neat cape posted:

Allen will confuse me for the rest of my life.

Yeah it's hard to think of a better example of a guy going from comical bust to legit annual MVP contender in like 1 season. I definitely thought the Bills had hosed up.

Guess we get to try again this year with Richardson. Although he at least went to a name school as opposed to Allen missing his WR's so bad the park service had to ask him to stop feeding the bears in Grand Teton. They really went out on a limb to take Allan and god drat it worked

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Rosen always sucked and people got mad as gently caress when you said so.

He was always going to suck in the nfl.

Deffo wasn't wrong on that chump.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

On 7 teams in 5 years and never lasted a full 365 days with one of them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Docjowles posted:

Although he at least went to a name school as opposed to Allen missing his WR's so bad the park service had to ask him to stop feeding the bears in Grand Teton.

that's one of the reasons I doubt he'll succeed anywhere near as much. he's been to all the fancy prep coaching and good training environments any young qb can have, whereas Allen had none of that and they both look about a similar level of raw coming into the draft. if a guy has decent coaching for the first time it makes sense he'd improve at least a bit, but it seems like Richardson has already had some of the best coaching you could ask for

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wasn't one of the knocks on Rosen that he might be "too smart" to be an nfl qb

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

indigi posted:

Yeah I remember this being a thing as well as him being too "woke" or whatever. It all came across as weird antisemitic crap.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

indigi posted:

Some of it came from his tennis skills as a youth

quote:

at age 12 he was the No. 1-ranked player for his age group in Southern California and top-50 in the country,[2] and he became a top-10 player in junior rankings. He was introduced to football in elementary school by a friend's father who was a youth coach.[11] Right before high school, Rosen switched from tennis to football.[12]

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
The vibes continue to be very bad with the Ravens/Lamar.

https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/1632389210328973312?s=46&t=xGJJVYA0BbTd6_vS0aNJig

Not sure what it says otherwise—I don’t have ESPN +. But if they do the non-exclusive I feel like teams would *rush* to trade two firsts for Lamar.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

What I saw there was that the Raiders aren’t completely out of the veteran QB market with Rodgers still being floated and possibly Jimmy G.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mac Jones to the Raiders and Lamar to the Pats as an RFA because we live in hellworld.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Don’t you dare speak that evil into the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1632692517950078979?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ