Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

goatface posted:

Depends how involved your job is and how old the child, but yes.

Holy poo poo, where do I get a WFH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Speaking of disability accomodations, I'm still not sure if my epilepsy counts as a disability, considering the fact that it's well-medicated and generally not an issue in my life. I don't want to lie either way, so I've just been putting "decline to answer" on my applications.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, just because you walk into an office doesn't mean you're getting work done.

This is the argument I like to use if I ever hear someone complaining about welfare or universal basic income with the argument that "But then people have no incentive to work!" People who genuinely want to cheat the system to get paid for nothing already do that, they just pretend to work or do the absolute bare minimum to not get fired instead of filling out government forms, and in doing so get in the way of people who want to get poo poo done. It'd arguably be a better world if people who just wanted to watch Netflix all day could do so without having others rely on them to get critical things done while those who wanted to do something can feel free to go into the fields they're genuinely motivated to work in instead of having to pick what'll afford them a living.

But eh, pipe dreams.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Tomn posted:

This is the argument I like to use if I ever hear someone complaining about welfare or universal basic income with the argument that "But then people have no incentive to work!" People who genuinely want to cheat the system to get paid for nothing already do that, they just pretend to work or do the absolute bare minimum to not get fired instead of filling out government forms, and in doing so get in the way of people who want to get poo poo done. It'd arguably be a better world if people who just wanted to watch Netflix all day could do so without having others rely on them to get critical things done while those who wanted to do something can feel free to go into the fields they're genuinely motivated to work in instead of having to pick what'll afford them a living.

But eh, pipe dreams.

Not enough people would choose to do the inherently lovely but necessary jobs without coercion and we'd all end up dead op

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of disability accomodations, I'm still not sure if my epilepsy counts as a disability, considering the fact that it's well-medicated and generally not an issue in my life. I don't want to lie either way, so I've just been putting "decline to answer" on my applications.

Yeah I hit "decline to answer" unless it's becoming an actual issue with disabilities interfering with things. I did have to disclose hEDS so I could get a fancy adaptable chair but it rules so that's the trade-off for me.

Also: I am so glad to hear you're still doing well. Epilepsy sucks, solidarity and continued good wishes for good health.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

slurm posted:

Not enough people would choose to do the inherently lovely but necessary jobs without coercion and we'd all end up dead op

If only there was a way to reward people for doing essential but lovely jobs. Alas.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Outrail posted:

If only there was a way to reward people for doing essential but lovely jobs. Alas.

There's zero amount of money you could pay me to burn the beaks off chickens or whatever when the hypothetical alternative is a secure middle class existence of leisure for doing nothing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

slurm posted:

There's zero amount of money you could pay me to burn the beaks off chickens or whatever when the hypothetical alternative is a secure middle class existence of leisure for doing nothing.

I doubt any kind of hypothetical future UBI is going to give people a comfortable middle class existence.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Epilepsy is absolutely a covered disability as part of the ADA in the US.
The coverage you are entitled to is however completely laughable.
One moment while I dig up the relevant post I made in the epilepsy thread.

Edit:
here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987999&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post520079644

In short, you are entitled to have somewhere soft to land and a calm place to rest in after your seizure.

Breakdown of your coverage:

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/epilepsy-workplace-and-ada

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 4, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
ADHD is also a covered disability. The accommodations you can request generally boil to down being micromanaged. Obviously, you should never, ever tell anyone you work with that you have ADHD.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
As someone who has a career in a lab, I don’t really get WFH at all, due to needing to be in a lab. However, they always want people to WFH if they call off sick, they don’t demand a ton but people keep doing it and now it’s basically standard operating procedure and I hate it.

None of my other coworkers refuse so now I look like the rear end in a top hat because I didn’t want to work when I was sick.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Lord Packinham posted:

As someone who has a career in a lab, I don’t really get WFH at all, due to needing to be in a lab. However, they always want people to WFH if they call off sick, they don’t demand a ton but people keep doing it and now it’s basically standard operating procedure and I hate it.

None of my other coworkers refuse so now I look like the rear end in a top hat because I didn’t want to work when I was sick.

God drat what a bunch of scrubs . "Yes, sir I'll work while sick sir! You can count on me not to let the project fall behind!" why don't you just check yourself into a meat grinder while you're at it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I find since I started WFH I work through a lot of stuff I would have said gently caress it and called in sick over, but that’s mostly in my favour since it means I can save paid sick time for the poo poo that makes it so you can’t even get out of bed instead of burning it on something I could tough out and then having to choose between getting paid or not while I’m on death’s door.

And then if I don’t get that sick I can just call in sick with a crippling case of cant be hosed to stare at spreadsheets right now before the rollover and have an extra week or more off instead.

It’s pretty nice.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

History Comes Inside! posted:

I find since I started WFH I work through a lot of stuff I would have said gently caress it and called in sick over, but that’s mostly in my favour since it means I can save paid sick time for the poo poo that makes it so you can’t even get out of bed instead of burning it on something I could tough out and then having to choose between getting paid or not while I’m on death’s door.

And then if I don’t get that sick I can just call in sick with a crippling case of cant be hosed to stare at spreadsheets right now before the rollover and have an extra week or more off instead.

It’s pretty nice.

It also means that if someone has an "ehh I can still work" cold, they aren't coming in and spreading that poo poo around to everyone. Or if they are, you are safely ensconced at home.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

cat botherer posted:

ADHD is also a covered disability. The accommodations you can request generally boil to down being micromanaged. Obviously, you should never, ever tell anyone you work with that you have ADHD.

This is so true. The jobs where I was micromanaged did so in a completely ineffective way. I am a reasonably intelligent person with ADHD and a moderate amount of laziness. If you give me freedom, I will find the most efficient way to do a task that fits within the required parameters. Telling me to keep an excel spreadsheet of what I did during the day in 15 minute increments so we can then have a meeting to discuss how I could be more efficient is NOT IT.

The best job for my ADHD (but not my mental health or sanity) was IT. There were definite parameters and easily measurable metrics to decide how I was doing my job. Did the computer work when I left? Yes? Then I did OK. Did it not work when I left? Well, then I escalate the ticket and it is out of my hair. Time to move on to the next one. And, because I was the only person in the building who was somewhat skilled at tech work, no one, not even the Dean, tried to micromanage that poo poo since they didn't know what I was doing.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Being able to WFH was nice in my last job. I have a lovely immune system, and my physically closest coworker in a tiny rear end badly ventilated basement office open mouth bark coughed like a toddler and was sick all the time because she couldn't say no to babysitting her grandkids constantly, and while I could work sick, the drive was not great. Thank goodness I'm not there anymore, I start training for my new job on the 14th and I'm so goddamn stoked to not be in a hospital anymore

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Amazing.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

slurm posted:

Holy poo poo, where do I get a WFH

I would strongly disagree with being able to WFH and parent unless your kid is relatively independent and at that point they are probably already at elementary school. I mean, I guess you could park them in front of the TV but most people don't recommend that for other reasons.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I get along with my boss alright but he has been developing a really bad habit of deciding on huge bottling runs last minute or at least only informing me of the volume right before without checking bottle inventory. The big issue is bottle orders have a lead time of 1-2 months. Today I asked about a festival that had been mentioned somewhat recently. Turns out he wants bottles for it from a beer that'll be done in early May. We're basically using up our entire bottle inventory on Friday for a run. If I hadn't randomly asked today I don't know if anyone would have thought to order bottles and we'd be poo poo out of luck. loving plan ahead, guys!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why isn't the ordering of bottles and the planning of production part of your job

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

The hold music for this meeting is Benny and the Jets, on loop.

I am assuming it is because they could only license one Elton John song. But this one?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Holland Oates posted:

Yeah I hit "decline to answer" unless it's becoming an actual issue with disabilities interfering with things. I did have to disclose hEDS so I could get a fancy adaptable chair but it rules so that's the trade-off for me.

Also: I am so glad to hear you're still doing well. Epilepsy sucks, solidarity and continued good wishes for good health.

Thank you, you too :unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why isn't the ordering of bottles and the planning of production part of your job

I've been asking the same questions.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I realized a while ago that autistism masking isn't just a sad reality of professional work life, it's a required skill.

I would love to be my wildly goony self all the time, but these people get freaked out by mild differences in baseball team fandom. God forbid they discover that I have ADHD and Autism. The way they treat the obviously autistic people we occasionally work with is downright appalling. If the money wasn't good and if they didn't treat my blandly likeable autistic masked self well, I would've hosed off a long time.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
First day of my new six-figgie job, the office is a significant improvement over my last one; working bathrooms and everything! Here's hoping it doesn't suck, but for what I'm getting paid and for how close to home it is, I can deal with it. I went home for lunch and saw my baby! :buddy:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Super Waffle posted:

First day of my new six-figgie job, the office is a significant improvement over my last one; working bathrooms and everything! Here's hoping it doesn't suck, but for what I'm getting paid and for how close to home it is, I can deal with it. I went home for lunch and saw my baby! :buddy:

Congrats on the new setup, goon!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I realized a while ago that autistism masking isn't just a sad reality of professional work life, it's a required skill.

I would love to be my wildly goony self all the time, but these people get freaked out by mild differences in baseball team fandom. God forbid they discover that I have ADHD and Autism. The way they treat the obviously autistic people we occasionally work with is downright appalling. If the money wasn't good and if they didn't treat my blandly likeable autistic masked self well, I would've hosed off a long time.

I have autism and absolutely no documentation of it, so I live with the constant worry that it is noticeable and enough of a concern that I might get punished for tics I don't consciously control. People can kinda suck sometimes. But hey, at least we're not alone!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
So I applied for another job within my company (different team). My boss was sharing his screen today in a meeting, and I briefly saw a glimpse of an email about him being on a job interview panel. What job do you reckon it might be for, goons? :thunk:

awkward conversations potentially incoming

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That sounds not just awful ambit also really exhausting

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Day two of new job, none of my software works so I haven't done anything yet! My PM is the kind of guy to suddenly remember he hasn't seen an update on x in a while and immediately texts people to drop everything and work on x, so we'll see how that works out for me.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Super Waffle posted:

Day two of new job, none of my software works so I haven't done anything yet! My PM is the kind of guy to suddenly remember he hasn't seen an update on x in a while and immediately texts people to drop everything and work on x, so we'll see how that works out for me.

Do you work for me?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Do you work for me?

What if we all work for you

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I call no man Mister

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Chewbecca posted:

I'm transferring to Barudak's department if I can

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Chewbecca posted:

You're fired then.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Love living in fear of doing something that is to me innocuous but to others is worthy of social sanction without even having a conversation about it so I know what's up

And god forbid you have an actual meltdown or shutdown

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Chewbecca posted:

So I applied for another job within my company (different team). My boss was sharing his screen today in a meeting, and I briefly saw a glimpse of an email about him being on a job interview panel. What job do you reckon it might be for, goons? :thunk:

awkward conversations potentially incoming

Was it for your job? :ohdear:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spent three hours trying to troubleshoot a user's issue because they would not answer basic questions like "What server are you trying to connect to?" (The issue is with an app where you HAVE to specify the server, there's no way to get around it) - they'd only answer in generalities. I tried to get them to start a remote session - instructions that are just three steps: Go to [SITE]. Enter [CODE]. Click Run - and had to ask then three times because they kept replying with a tiny pixelated screenshot of what I THINK might have been a website, but not the one I wanted them to go to. When they finally got the hint and let me remote in they... walked away.

And went to the deskside support area in the office.

And complained that she didn't understand my "goofy" questions. So of course, her first instinct was not to say "Sorry, I don't know what you mean by [THING]", but just... Make up bullshit that sounded like what I was looking for.

Then I had to send the ticket to a completely different team. If she had actually answered my questions and followed my directions, I could have done that ages ago, instead of wasting my time...

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Outrail posted:

Was it for your job? :ohdear:

I didn't see all the details, but given the timing I'd assume it's for the job I applied for

:wellpiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You're fired then.

Thank you for the opportunity <surreptitiously loads my backpack up with notebooks, ballpoint pens and a swingline stapler>