Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Fun thing to do to confuse yourself for a bit:

Load up DIM, go to Records, and down to the Guardian Ranks. Look through the objectives until you see something wrong.

Load up the game, go to that objective and see what it says.

Now look at the progress bar at the bottom of that objective.

Now check what those objectives in the Guardian ranks in the Destiny 2 app say.

What a game we are choosing to play.

life_source fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Junkenstein posted:

Nobody seems to have mentioned the fact that there's a weekly pinnacle for giving 20 commendations. So the whole thing is meaningless.

yeah it's a system entirely about make number go up, which I mean, is Destiny in general, but the commendations are like, they're supposed to actually reflect what playing with the person was like, right? like they wouldn't have you know, a bunch of different descriptors or whatever

but guarantee no one's putting any thought into the commendations they give, they just slam the buttons, meaning it's completely useless

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And it’s cheesable with 6 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwTfZopGQcI

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

i respect the grind but talk about racing to a red light

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Is Bluejay supposed to take a ridiculously absurd number of kills per fragment? Before anyone asks, yes I'm in a strand class and yes I'm in the incursion zone

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is this fun? I balled out on D2 during Beyond Light, having never played any of it before, and loved it. Bought Witch Queen but just did the campaign then got sucked into Elden Ring. Didn’t ever feel like going back to it, but it’s gunplay is so much better than anything else out there and it has ruined other FPS games for me.

Lightfall doesn’t seem to be thrilling people like Witch Queen did, but I also feel like Destiny is basically an “every other expansion is baller, and we’re in the off season now” so :shrug:

I already bought it and it’s downloading, so I’m in regardless.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Commendations would be fine if it was like, one per match. And only one generic type. And you didn't need a "score" of 750 to rank up. Maybe make it like (reasonable number) commendations received for the final rank to show people don't hate grouping with you or whatever. But yeah I and I'm pretty sure literally everyone is just smashing them on whoever just to make number go up

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is this fun? I balled out on D2 during Beyond Light, having never played any of it before, and loved it. Bought Witch Queen but just did the campaign then got sucked into Elden Ring. Didn’t ever feel like going back to it, but it’s gunplay is so much better than anything else out there and it has ruined other FPS games for me.

Lightfall doesn’t seem to be thrilling people like Witch Queen did, but I also feel like Destiny is basically an “every other expansion is baller, and we’re in the off season now” so :shrug:

I already bought it and it’s downloading, so I’m in regardless.

If all you care about is the campaign then it may be a pass but if you enjoy spending 300 more hours in the skinner box shooting things for prizes then it's still the same and probably better

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

acumen posted:

Commendations would be fine if it was like, one per match. And only one generic type. And you didn't need a "score" of 750 to rank up. Maybe make it like (reasonable number) commendations received for the final rank to show people don't hate grouping with you or whatever. But yeah I and I'm pretty sure literally everyone is just smashing them on whoever just to make number go up

If all you care about is the campaign then it may be a pass but if you enjoy spending 300 more hours in the skinner box shooting things for prizes then it's still the same and probably better

As someone who started in 2021, watched Cayde-6 die in the opening mission, then promptly did a ton of missions with him and was confused as gently caress, the overall story doesn’t really matter all that much. There’s just nothing that comes close to the quality of moment-to-moment gameplay as destiny seems to.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Commendations are dumb as hell. My two teammates might've been more useful as ablative armor than they were shooting their guns but sure as poo poo they're getting my commendations, The Number Must Go Up

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

As someone who started in 2021, watched Cayde-6 die in the opening mission, then promptly did a ton of missions with him and was confused as gently caress, the overall story doesn’t really matter all that much. There’s just nothing that comes close to the quality of moment-to-moment gameplay as destiny seems to.

it's that + more quality of life, so basically yes

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Different loadouts require an artifact reset so they couldn't do this.

Artifact resets are supposed to be free so this shouldn’t be a problem?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Pirate Jet posted:

In theory. I'm still spending ever-increasing amounts of glimmer to do it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

What's the point of Loadouts if you have to reselect 12 mods every time, though??

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

king's fall is already no longer powerful, then? kind of lame, it should have been up for this week

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I would much rather go back to the old system and have to slot artifact mods on armour but being able to unlock all of them than having to reset the artifact every time I want to change

this is a net downgrade especially because yeah it's charging me glimmer now

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Heads up for my fellow unobservant hunters

https://twitter.com/Kyubayas/status/1631834736715808770?s=20

(I still think it's dumb, it's just another thing to pay attention to that isn't the guy shooting you)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the point of Loadouts if you have to reselect 12 mods every time, though??

My dude what is the point of *gestures at everything*

There are only stones, flesh, stars, and those truths the hand can touch.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

Whoever decided to put rank 7 behind 750 commendations AND put 4 loadouts behind that should be fired into the sun via a cannon. What the gently caress Bungie.

They didn't.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, don't know why they put out a strand handcannon when handcannons suck dicks in pve right now.

I want to like this thing, and maybe I just need the right perks, but man does it feel like way more trouble then it's worth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's no reason the loadout system couldn't implicitly perform the artifact reset and select the 12 perks the loadout calls for- if resetting actually were free. If it's a completely consequence-free operation that doesn't change anything about your character except re-locking all the perks, the loadout system could be easily* extended to cover it

*easy for that guy's wife, maybe not for Bungie programmers

Oxyclean posted:

Man, don't know why they put out a strand handcannon when handcannons suck dicks in pve right now.

I want to like this thing, and maybe I just need the right perks, but man does it feel like way more trouble then it's worth.

Hatchling plus a minor spec mod means every red bar is secretly on your side

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
artifact resetting seems to be free for me every time I gain a point in it, though after that it costs glimmer.

Also for anyone wondering, the additional loadouts can be unlocked just by completing that flawless LLS. You don't need rank 7.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Also the game doesn't reset you completely to rank 6 and you have to redo everything. The blue boxes are reset, because they relate to seasonal stuff, whereas a lot of other stuff (do a Legendary Lost Sector etc) do not reset, which means for that you'll mainly do some seasonal stuff to re-rank up, but you won't lose your loadouts or whatever. That makes sense because the difference between 6 and 7 is "returning player" versus "active player".

Once you unlock the extra loadouts you're fine, they won't be reset. So going back down to rank 6 every season should mean effectively gently caress all for most people.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

I'm not sure exactly what I thought the guardian ranks would be, or what I'd want it to be, that doesn't overlap with triumph score,

but

it is a little eye roll inducing that it's yet another seasonal treadmill.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.shacknews.com/article/134429/destiny-2-guardian-ranks?amphtml=1

Lmfao 6,000 commendations for rank 11.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Edit: a rare double post!

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 4, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I was waiting for the part of that page where they say what the reward was for doing those things and lol.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Finally, we know the difference between a rank 8 guardian and a rank 9 guardian-- one has cleared King's Fall, while the other has cleared King's Fall.

I don't know why but it's galling to me to know that I probably won't ever clear rank 8 because I don't raid, despite being a competent enough player to solo the recent dungeon (a rank 11 achievement!!). Also that requirements like 'complete a GM nightfall' are on the same level as 'reach 80 on the season pass'.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I'm really not a fan of "everything in this patrol zone now has endgame health." Me and two other pubbies were doing an injection rig public event and even though we all knew how to make it heroic, we couldn't because the vents had too much health.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So I was looking into what's up with planetary mats and found they're going away, so I bought all the aspects and fragments on my three characters. Is there anything else that would be good to blow all my planetary mats->glimmer stockpile on before planetary mats can't be turned in for glimmer anymore?

That conversion is going away after this season, right?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

So I was looking into what's up with planetary mats and found they're going away, so I bought all the aspects and fragments on my three characters. Is there anything else that would be good to blow all my planetary mats->glimmer stockpile on before planetary mats can't be turned in for glimmer anymore?

That conversion is going away after this season, right?

You pretty much already made the best choice. Maybe load up on Ascendant Shards and transmog bounties.

I don’t believe Bungie has ever said when selling planetary mats for glimmer is going away, but someone can feel free to correct me here.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lmao, they really made a system that will absolutely poison lfg even more with the ranks poo poo. This entire release is so bad, the skinner box comment was right on the money but now it takes 3/4 of your body weight to push the button halfway down and instead of a light flipping on it gives you a barium enema. No one knows what it takes to fully push the button but that's for the best probably, everyone walks away from the box.

Absolutely going just run a macro to collect season pass rewards and get artifact levels so maybe this are less poo poo to do, but after one or two strikes I'm feeling like this was just such a miss. Might be time to go back to warframe.

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 4, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ptroll posted:

Commendations are dumb as hell. My two teammates might've been more useful as ablative armor than they were shooting their guns but sure as poo poo they're getting my commendations, The Number Must Go Up

Exactly my attitude. I spent 30 minutes doing a non-legendary ritual battle and more than half of that was rezzing both of them but we got there in the end. Bless their hearts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have to say the cross platform stuff in Destiny 2 is a bit odd. Apparently I played Witch Queen on Steam, but now I'm playing Lightfall on the PS5. I have some weapons from Witch Queen, which I can still use, but on the PS5 I can't actually go and update them, because I don't have Witch Queen on the PS5. I guess I could log out in a non Lightfall area, install the PC version, load up my character there and go to the Witch Queen area to upgrade my weapon?

Also the campaign in Lightfall is a massive bummer. The missions themselves are fine even though the difficulty occasionally spikes bizarrely, but god drat the story is awful.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIB6IQnQQdQ

:allears:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I can't quite believe how well the grapple mechanic itself has been implemented in this game that wasn't meant for it. It's too bad that the current game mechanics mean it's not actually fun to use most of the time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So starting to learn about armor nodding. My big question right now is, how do I know if an armor piece is investing into to unlock more armor slots? Granted, I have over a thousand legendary shards, so it’s not a big deal. But how do I identity “good” armor?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
High stats. 61 minimum.

More specifically you would look at the breakdown of the piece and ask yourself "Is this a good roll?" Heavy grenade builds want Discipline, if rarely use your super Intellect is dump, stuff like that. It would be beneficial to just ask in here or the Discord if you want input on specific pieces.

Also note that sometimes a good roll of armour will be available from a vendor and that usually gets posted here in the thread so keep you eyes open for those.

Though for real you could just upgrade whatever and when you find something better replace it. It's relatively cheap to upgrade armour and eventually you will have an abundance of materials to do so with.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So starting to learn about armor nodding. My big question right now is, how do I know if an armor piece is investing into to unlock more armor slots? Granted, I have over a thousand legendary shards, so it’s not a big deal. But how do I identity “good” armor?

There's two things to consider

Is the armor "high stat"? People have different standards for this but the most common cutoff is 60 total points. The majority of armor sources in the game will drop this level of gear rarely or not at all, there are a few places that specifically call themselves out as sources of high stat armor

Does the armor have a lot of points in a stat you care about? This depends on what you want your build to focus on. Wading in and facetanking stuff? Resilience. Using your grenade ability a lot? Discipline. The cooldown-reducing stats are less important now that there are so many ways to gain ability energy other than simply waiting, but each stat being high has a different gameplay implication and unlocks different specializations, so pick what looks like your favorite. Also, in addition to the 3 stats that are outright labeled as reducing cooldown, your class ability cooldown is governed by one of the 3 other stats, but which one depends on which class you are, and I don't think this is in the UI anywhere

Also remember that there's a family of mods that lets you boost stats, so your armor doesn't have to be perfect, just close enough. Most players consider an armor setup that reaches 100 points in two different stats the ultimate goal (at 100 points you have maximum benefit and it stops increasing with more) but don't worry if you aren't able to do this, Destiny stats have a much weaker effect than in most RPGs because of the shooter/thumbskill component

haveblue fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 4, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is mobility worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Warlock strand build that keeps everything suspended forever (using striga and necrotic grips) feels way better to me than the threadling build. Not sure I like it over stasis or good, but there's something there for sure.