Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lid posted:

The sparklersplosion was a botch too, it's sometimes things go wrong such as the ladder entirely breaking and needing everyone to hold it. Yes in Japan ref's also are dumb and useless but like I said it was the sheer number of refs that everyone noticed making a visual of them all aiding Hobbs specifically to win. It's a dumb thing that happened that doesn't need to recontextualised.

The point remains that not everyone agrees on how dumb it looked or that it looked dumb at all. That's ok. Folks aren't recontextualising they are simply disagreeing on their perception of the same event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lid posted:

The sparklersplosion was a botch too, it's sometimes things go wrong such as the ladder entirely breaking and needing everyone to hold it. Yes in Japan ref's also are dumb and useless but like I said it was the sheer number of refs that everyone noticed making a visual of them all aiding Hobbs specifically to win. It's a dumb thing that happened that doesn't need to recontextualised.

The ending to the exploding ring match was on a whole different level, what are you even talking about

And clearly you don't watch Japanese wrestling because I'm not referencing them being dumb or useless at all

A refs job is to protect the wrestlers and try to keep things fair, they did that

It's not like somebody was coming to topple the ladder and they stopped them

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"everyone needs to agree with me, otherwise they're arguing in bad faith"

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I get people saying get another ladder but it's TV time's tight and it could take forever too which would also have people complain.

Really what should of been done is once the position the ladder looked bad the camera angle should of been changed so the TV audience didn't see the ref's

even if he got another ladder most of the people complaining now would still be complaining

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Alaois posted:

"everyone needs to agree with me, otherwise they're arguing in bad faith"

this, but for real

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Of all the insane nitpicky things for the internet to get unreasonably angry about right now they focus on this?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The timekeeper awkwardly attempting to help move that table into place was much more distracting to me than the referees making sure Hobbs and whoever else didn't (accidentally) kill themselves on a ladder.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i do think it's wild that refs have held ladders across promotions for decades and so many people somehow have only noticed it for the first time on wednesday, all at once

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I thought it made Hobbs look badass. He was so powerful those refs did his bidding.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Saucer Crab posted:

The timekeeper awkwardly attempting to help move that table into place was much more distracting to me than the referees making sure Hobbs and whoever else didn't (accidentally) kill themselves on a ladder.

That was demonstrating Hobbs naturally commanding presence. It's called psychology.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Chakkawakk posted:

I'm fine with the refs holding the ladder up for Hobbs. He has a little notebook that he could have written their names into if they didn't hold the ladder for him.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Of all the insane nitpicky things for the internet to get unreasonably angry about right now they focus on this?

They will nitpick anything to keep their level of unhappiness.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah I truly don’t think it looked dumb. Hobbes was so powerful that he broke the ladder. He then told the refs to hold the ladder. What am I missing here why does it look dumb.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I truly don’t think it looked dumb. Hobbes was so powerful that he broke the ladder. He then told the refs to hold the ladder. What am I missing here why does it look dumb.

That's exactly where I landed on it. Hobbs has big powerful legs that no mere Home Depot ladder can sustain. It's just physics.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 3, 2023

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

flatluigi posted:

i do think it's wild that refs have held ladders across promotions for decades and so many people somehow have only noticed it for the first time on wednesday, all at once

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

I thought it made Hobbs look badass. He was so powerful those refs did his bidding.

that was what I thought too

all I know is I can't wait for the hoss off between Hobbs and either Samoa Joe or Wardlow on Wednesday

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
to be fair, people first noticed and complained about refs holding ladders the first time AEW had a ladder match and also every time since

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Saucer Crab posted:

lol i forgot about the tiny timekeeper lady helping move the table for a second. She was going into business for herself, gently caress Orange Cassidy!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I follow her on Instagram and she posted that Stokely made her help, but I think she just hates OC

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

to be fair, people first noticed and complained about refs holding ladders the first time AEW had a ladder match and also every time since

Yeah, really people notice every time and some people think it's stupid, some people don't, and the wrestlers are happy the spot got done and no one died because the ladder wobbled over

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I think it’s important for someone to hold the ladder because safety has no holiday.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

I’m going to start complaining every time a wrestler moves themselves closer to a corner and angles themselves so another wrestler can jump on them

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Now I want a ladder match to end with the ladder breaking, and the referees making a human pyramid for someone to climb up

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

syzpid posted:

Now I want a ladder match to end with the ladder breaking, and the referees making a human pyramid for someone to climb up

I'd be shocked if DDT hasn't done this.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1631511901766053889?s=20

Ah yes, mentioning WON stuff is totally the same as parroting the vile racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic garbage that Cornette spews.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Well Dave does love the fed again now so yeah maybe

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pylons posted:

I'd be shocked if DDT hasn't done this.

When I went to japan and saw DDT live they had a match where they put a banana peel on the bottom rung and they slipped on it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Pinche Rudo posted:

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1631511901766053889?s=20

Ah yes, mentioning WON stuff is totally the same as parroting the vile racist, sexist, homophobic, and transphobic garbage that Cornette spews.

You can tell when someone's a fan of Dave because they are constantly shuffling papers, and can't get make a point without a long anecdote about luchadores in the 90s.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Meltzer Said What?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Mr. Squishy posted:

You can tell when someone's a fan of Dave because they are constantly shuffling papers, and can't get make a point without a long anecdote about luchadores in the 90s.

You know what today is?
No Dave what is today?
It's uh *shuffle* the uh *shuffle* 73rd anniversary of the second time little Tilly rollerson won the southwest regional invitational in the western conference of rollerderby ultra.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

The_Rob posted:

This is how I saw it, thought it was pretty obvious and easy to figure out. Never underestimate the stupidity and/or feigned ignorance of the most vocal online wrestleposting dorks.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

for $119.99/year you can get the most knowledgable you've ever received

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Sure, you COULD make the argument that it looked dumb and broke the illusion of “sports” to have the referees, who are supposed to be impartial, hold the ladder for Hobbs, but have you considered this:

P-P-P-POWERHOUSE

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

weird how this is immersion breaking for some people but the ref opening the door of the steel cage (something so accepted in WWE that it's built into the mechanics of the video games) isn't.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

haunted bong posted:

Sure, you COULD make the argument that it looked dumb and broke the illusion of “sports” to have the referees, who are supposed to be impartial, hold the ladder for Hobbs, but have you considered this:

P-P-P-POWERHOUSE

If they hold the ladders for everyone who tries to climb one by themselves, it's impartial.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hobbs would be the only contestant smart enough to make Alex Horne do part of the task

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Penguin Patrol posted:

Hobbs would be the only contestant smart enough to make Alex Horne do part of the task

Ricky would hire someone on his phone to come over and do the task for him.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sammy Guevara would be Nish Kumar levels of "hosed the task but everyone enjoyed it"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lamuella posted:

weird how this is immersion breaking for some people but the ref opening the door of the steel cage (something so accepted in WWE that it's built into the mechanics of the video games) isn't.

That's dumb too, but it's built into the match. Those are the rules. Like how you can run around the ring barrier and on the table in the Rumble as long as you don't touch the ground. There is no established rule that 4 referees need to race into the ring and hold up a ladder whenever someone tries to climb it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Much like there is no rule preventing a horse from kicking fieldgoals, there is no rule preventing referees from holding up a ladder.