Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If I was the (former) richest man in the world, or even had a mere nine, eight, hell seven-figure net worth, I would hope my life was not so empty and meaningless that I spent my time desperately craving public validation from somebody who named himself after a piece of cat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
The funniest thing to me is one person in that thread offering a possible solution to the problem and entirely missing the point that this tweet was not asking for technical advice

https://twitter.com/lion_tender/status/1631781518380089350

It's kinda wholesome really, and one of the few things I like so much about the more social side of the internet (though I guess that's more forums than twitter). No matter the subject there's almost always an expert out there perfectly willing to help a complete stranger.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Looking into it

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
catturd is elon musk without hair plugs and emerald money

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Steadiman posted:

The funniest thing to me is one person in that thread offering a possible solution to the problem and entirely missing the point that this tweet was not asking for technical advice

https://twitter.com/lion_tender/status/1631781518380089350

It's kinda wholesome really, and one of the few things I like so much about the more social side of the internet (though I guess that's more forums than twitter). No matter the subject there's almost always an expert out there perfectly willing to help a complete stranger.

But that doesnt help anyone other than making some one feel that some nerd is telling them how to do their job

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Clearly a Hire Me Elon uwu post

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

just unplug that server

problem solved

E: Elon just emailed me offering me a job because if this post.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ratjaculation posted:

just unplug that server

problem solved

E: Elon just emailed me offering me a job because if this post.

Oh cool, what's the salary?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

kazil posted:

Oh cool, what's the salary?

Salary?!

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

NERV :elon: :elon:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
sorry elon just tweeted that you got fired

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

sorry elon just tweeted that you got fired

drat, twitter lost another senior staff member

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Severance is a lump of stock and liability for a percentage of Twitter debt.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632013616030334976

tripling down on Scott Dilbert

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632015912927674368

just more racism, nbd

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1632017143498788867

what the gently caress ever this is

it's the weekend and elon is going to be posting through it

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a man having a mid-life crisis.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"The severity of the situation". An old rear end in a top hat hosed around with racist poo poo and found out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This is just enragingly stupid. It completely mischaracterises the whole Scott Adams video, in which he takes a minority of responders to a right wing poll not agreeing with a known white supremacist dog whistle and says “therefore the monolithic blacks as a noun are a hate group, get away from black people”.

The guy who made that response is a loving idiot making a video in support of someone who hates him.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Payndz posted:

If I was the (former) richest man in the world, or even had a mere nine, eight, hell seven-figure net worth, I would hope my life was not so empty and meaningless that I spent my time desperately craving public validation from somebody who named himself after a piece of cat poo poo.

I would have to assume the Tesla stock rebound has placed him back into the top spot unfortunately.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Payndz posted:

Think of how powerful Caturd the Younger must feel.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Catthird: The origin of the species faeces.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

koshmar posted:

I would have to assume the Tesla stock rebound has placed him back into the top spot unfortunately.
To lose one's place as the richest man in the world once is bad. To lose it twice...

https://fortune.com/2023/03/02/elon-musk-bernard-arnault-worlds-richest-person-tesla-lvmh/amp/

(Lol.)

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Payndz posted:

To lose one's place as the richest man in the world once is bad. To lose it twice...

https://fortune.com/2023/03/02/elon-musk-bernard-arnault-worlds-richest-person-tesla-lvmh/amp/

(Lol.)

The fact that it's a direct result of his twitter purchase makes it all the more sweet.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Does Bernard Arnault have desperate losers in his replies sucking up to him hoping that he gives them a free bag or bottle of booze?

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/lion_tender/status/1631782322230919170?s=20

Yeah hes totally going to pay them for the work they did. Totally.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Also lol at 300/hr being considered a gouge rate if you're talking something bad enough it triggered sms alerts at a company that (used to be) huge. Tack on another 0 and have a minimum hours clause, that invoice would need at 5 digits paid before lifting a finger

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Elon doesnt even pay office leases, why is he going to pay someone who doesnt work for him.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Lol if that guy fixed anything elon would have him arrested for hacking

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Honestly the latest meme he posted looks a lot like fashwave art. Either he knows this or he's dog whistling

https://www.mic.com/articles/187379/this-is-fashwave-the-suicidal-retro-futurist-art-of-the-alt-right

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Sentient Data posted:

Also lol at 300/hr being considered a gouge rate if you're talking something bad enough it triggered sms alerts at a company that (used to be) huge. Tack on another 0 and have a minimum hours clause, that invoice would need at 5 digits paid before lifting a finger

Also then don't do the work but say it's fixed. Not like Elon's gonna notice

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

musk wasn't paying his AWS bill he isn't going to pay you lol

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

the best thing to do is nothing since it will take them longer to realize the alert was sent to someone who doesn’t care. don’t reply, don’t say it was sent in error, just let it sit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Honestly the latest meme he posted looks a lot like fashwave art. Either he knows this or he's dog whistling

https://www.mic.com/articles/187379/this-is-fashwave-the-suicidal-retro-futurist-art-of-the-alt-right

What did he post because the last image in that link here probably would have got me

since it just looks like depressed posting to me

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

TyrsHTML posted:

https://twitter.com/lion_tender/status/1631782322230919170?s=20

Yeah hes totally going to pay them for the work they did. Totally.

A beautiful thought experiment but if fired engineers have any actual access to Twitter systems they've done an even worse job than I'd expect.

The big news here is that the actual pager rotation is so thin and they haven't removed fired employees that they have probably intentionally assigned non-employees to their pager policies so it looks like they might be covered in an emergency but really it's just texting people who won't be doing anything.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

goatface posted:

It's a man having a mid-life crisis.

another mid-life crisis, he has them a lot because he's a nothing person

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

YanniRotten posted:

The big news here is that the actual pager rotation is so thin and they haven't removed fired employees that they have probably intentionally assigned non-employees to their pager policies so it looks like they might be covered in an emergency but really it's just texting people who won't be doing anything.

Wait, are physical pagers still a thing? I just figured it was an app or simple texting interface that their number never got removed from after they left.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, are physical pagers still a thing? I just figured it was an app or simple texting interface that their number never got removed from after they left.
The main app used by tech companies for on-call is named PagerDuty and because of this everyone still uses the term pager lol.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

It is an app, called PagerDuty.

E: dammit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Faustian Bargain posted:

the best thing to do is nothing since it will take them longer to realize the alert was sent to someone who doesn’t care. don’t reply, don’t say it was sent in error, just let it sit.

This. I never got why you should offer your services to your former employer for an exaggerated amount. Has that ever worked?

Just block the number and continue doing whatever you were doing. Who the hell wants to get caught up in some inherited rich boy pretending to be an IT guy and loving it up pieces at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pagers are still used in many places because they are closed circuit. The NHS has pagers still and all the hospitals are built with pager circuits in even now because if there is an extended, area wide power cut they will still work.

If you're texting things or using internet for that purpose an area power cut will knock out local cell towers and local exchanges and emergency staff won't hear things about where they need to be to deal with situations. Whereas the pager loop is connected to the emergency backup generators in the hospital and will be unaffected and continue to work.

Its occasionally a similar situation in big factories (like aircraft factory big), but mainly hospitals.