Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently a short teaser airs at the end of the first episode with no date besides "2023".

The replies to Crunchyroll's tweets are very funny right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

MJeff posted:

Apparently a short teaser airs at the end of the first episode with no date besides "2023".

The replies to Crunchyroll's tweets are very funny right now.

That was a great laugh.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The Polygon article on the delay is citing a fansub as an official source :laffo:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
So I'm guessing Mappa didn't provide a script to the English team in advance

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Hulu just updated, shows it dropping at 5 pm (central time)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It's up on Crunchyroll

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm excite (to watch it tonight)

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Well, I'm ready to discuss when everyone else is.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

10/10

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
In those character polls how do people choose characters that aren't Hange?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm still on the "Eren was so awful to his friends because he needs to force them to kill him" bandwagon, only now there's the additional wrinkle that Ymir is listening in and probably constraining his words/actions. There seemed to be some very careful wording in the coordinate desert.

Also, would like a translation check on the "dream from Zeke" bit. Presumably it's actually a memory that's been passed through Zeke, but the wording is ambiguous. I really want to say that there was a bit where Zeke made some sort of deflecting comment about a titan with wings, but I don't see it at the start of episode 61 where the idea is mentioned in jest.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sockser posted:

Rod Reiss's magical vial of Titan hardening fluid is also a sort of abandoned plot element that never gets circled back on

Of course these could pop up in the last 3 seasons of the final season part 3, but it doesn't seem like there's going to be much room for that.

Well, they came back to it, in an indirect way. Thanks Falco/Annie.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

AoT Heaven exists, and Floch's not there lol

Worried that Pieck is gonna try a suicide bomb but glad that it looks like Onyonkapon is gonna make it, he was sounding grim about his chances

a seagull fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 4, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Was good, shoulda finished with a movie.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

a seagull posted:

AoT Heaven exists, and Floch's not there lol

Worried that Pieck is gonna try a suicide bomb but glad that it looks like Onyonkapon is gonna make it, he was sounding grim about his chances

Yeah, I think the plan is that she jumps down Eren's throat and then they slice up whatever is left. It's not like we didn't see a previous version of that with Rod.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I don’t think I’ve ever see a character that wanted to die more than Reiner. He had to summon literally all his energy just to say something positive to Connie.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cried when Hange went out like a bad rear end with her old enthusiasm and zest for titans. She killed dozens of colossal titans. I love her. Cried when Erwin showed up. Whooped and hollered when Reiner transformed. Just incredible all round, totally worth the wait. man ita brutal, so loving brutal. that poor kid

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Char's Counter Attack with meat mechs part one was great

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever see a character that wanted to die more than Reiner. He had to summon literally all his energy just to say something positive to Connie.

Reiner's wish to die is only matched by his inability to achieve his goal.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This episode having an extra Part 1 and Part 2 within is so funny.

I thought the bone Beast Titan looked goofy at first but the assault on the Attack Titan animated incredibly. Better than I imagined in my head.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Should I resurrect the manga thread to talk about differences between the anime and the manga? Most of them are fairly minor stuff like minor censorship, more action, lighting changes and one really funny one (Leonhart is holding a pistol instead of a rifle because they changed the scene's blocking, I guess?), but there's a couple that stuck out to me as being kind of interesting and worthy of discussion.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I say maybe bump the manga thread, I had some thoughts as well. The specific changes I think might have just been stuff moved to the second movie.

Was anyone else’s Crunchyroll audio really bad for this? Not sure if I had a buffering problems or if their copy just had a bad audio track. Had issues cutting it and out and with different volumes at scene transitions.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Please bump the manga thread at least until the last part has aired.

I beg you

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Holy gently caress that was insane. What the gently caress. Hange :cry: Godspeed, you badass. Insane goosebumps at the end. Jfc.

Ban any manga chat ITT imo, christ.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alan_Shore posted:

Cried when Hange went out like a bad rear end with her old enthusiasm and zest for titans. She killed dozens of colossal titans. I love her. Cried when Erwin showed up. Whooped and hollered when Reiner transformed. Just incredible all round, totally worth the wait. man ita brutal, so loving brutal. that poor kid

:same:

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

ooooohhhhh, Eren blurting out what was going to happen to Ramzi and Ramzi not doing anything about it makes sense because they're speaking different languages. I'm dumb.

a seagull fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 4, 2023

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Part 1 was good.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gonna be hard not watching this until I can see it with my buddies on thursday. The day after my weekly anime night was a rough day for this to release, but I shall have strength

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Prediction:

This whole story has been Ymir playing the long game. She has been trapped in an eternal prison, a fate far worse than death, and because of that she's manipulated events to create a perfect freedom-obsessed puppet: Eren. She wants the existence of titans to end, now, so she can be free. Zeke's plan would eventually work, but she can't wait anymore. She wants it to be over as soon as possible, and Eren's genocidal rampage is the quickest path.

Eren couldn't transform to save Hannes in season 2 because his fingers hadn't fully healed, but he does just fine after Galliard rips his legs off in season 4. Because in each case it depended on Ymir being willing to build a titan in the paths. She was guiding events a certain way, hence Zeke getting a bonus life.

Being the OGest of titans she probably has some part of the Attack Titan's future sight so... she popped up ominously a couple times in this episode and my point is that might be the reason, I'm running out of steam because it's late and I'm drunk

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Because it's relevant one last time:

gently caress YOU, FLOCH

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

^^^ Indeed

Final note Big ol Eren titan got a lil butt lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

a seagull posted:

Prediction:

This whole story has been Ymir playing the long game. She has been trapped in an eternal prison, a fate far worse than death, and because of that she's manipulated events to create a perfect freedom-obsessed puppet: Eren. She wants the existence of titans to end, now, so she can be free. Zeke's plan would eventually work, but she can't wait anymore. She wants it to be over as soon as possible, and Eren's genocidal rampage is the quickest path.

Eren couldn't transform to save Hannes in season 2 because his fingers hadn't fully healed, but he does just fine after Galliard rips his legs off in season 4. Because in each case it depended on Ymir being willing to build a titan in the paths. She was guiding events a certain way, hence Zeke getting a bonus life.

Being the OGest of titans she probably has some part of the Attack Titan's future sight so... she popped up ominously a couple times in this episode and my point is that might be the reason, I'm running out of steam because it's late and I'm drunk

I don't think the Hannes and Galliard thing are a contradiction needing Ymir's intervention. Basically, the rule seems to be that you've got a short window after getting injured to pop a Titan, but if you don't, then you can't try again until you heal completely.

Edit: Also, we should give a shoutout to the engineers. Doing welding that steady while the apocalypse is right outside the door? That's dedication to the craft.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 4, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
well, uh

"children cling on to their very last coins" suddenly made a very tragic sort of sense

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 4, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did we get a vague date for the last part part 2 yet?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Did we get a vague date for the last part part 2 yet?

Fall, this year.

So, it'll be a while, but it's in sight.

Just 2,000 years from now...

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

A big flaming stink posted:

well, uh

"children cling on to their very last coins" suddenly made a very tragic sort of sense

Yup! I believe the equivalent chapters to this special had just finished releasing when the Season 4 Part 1 began airing, so a lot of folks made the connection then.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

a seagull posted:

Prediction:

Well obviously it's not my theory so it can't be right, but this adds an interesting spin. Could she be selectively showing things to Eren in an effort to get certain events to happen?

I mostly don't like it because I prefer my main characters to have some amount of agency, but even with my theory Eren's agency is dubious at best.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This special did a lot to give us an understanding of Eren. He clearly doesn't want to do this, and in a way was fighting against it (rescuing the child even though it was pointless).

Just an absolutely tragic story all round.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I kinda love how characters keep saying "I'm just like you, Reiner." as shorthand for "Oh boy, do I loving suck or what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MJeff posted:

I was at UniQlo today and I found a "Best of Attack on Titan in Color" book, it's got a bunch of chapters from all over the manga done in full color. It's really cool. It's even got the final character poll. No points for guessing who 1, 2 and 3 are. :v:

Misread this as an Attack on Titan coloring book at first and recoiled.