Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

US Berder Patrol posted:

Thinking now about getting shipmated by some random chief for my haircut, and when I said "aye-aye, chief" to him his face went beet red, convinced I was cracking wise with him. He wanted to know why I would say that instead of just, "yes". Because they taught me to say that in boot camp?
So he made me stand there at attention on the street in front of the NEX while he tried to call my chief. Never got through for whatever reason, had to just radiate chiefly malice at me while I bowed and scraped my way out of there

Lol get divorced again bitch

^^^^ that last line goes for every chief even air force e9s reading this gently caress you too smdftb

Damned if you do damned if you don’t from that rear end in a top hat.

I use aye-aye all the time with everyone because it’s fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Damned if you do damned if you don’t from that rear end in a top hat.

I use aye-aye all the time with everyone because it’s fun.

Fourteen years out and I still have a habit of repeat-aye-ing people. "Could you get me a fork?" "Fork, aye."

It gets me the occasional side-eye but trying to stop would be an annoying effort.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

US Berder Patrol posted:

One of my buddies works on a government ship and he's been encouraging me to get my MMC and apply for the junior version of his job. I even met some of the other crew and officers and they were all like oh yeah dude get a job out here with us.

I'd like to thank all the merchant seamen in this thread the past few pages for encouraging me to go buy a bag of weed tonight instead lol

MFU juniors are making decent money and have a decent union with similar stuff to officers, own room with bathroom, tv, fridge, etc. If you move up to electrician or reefer you're basically making 2nds pay, around $800/day I think but I think the pension is nonexistent and the vacation isn't as good.

I'm not going to say dont go MSC but just be very aware of what it is. The 3rd on there for 2 years should go home with $700k+ but some money just isn't worth it. There are the RRF ships which mostly sit around at the dock on 5 day notice and those are really nice if you live close cause they are under DoT until the second they get activated so most of the time they have less DoN bullshit.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
ok so random-rear end browsing and landed on a court-martial record of a Coastie in a contract marriage, and came upon this bit of brain-meltingness:

quote:

Romantic relationship between shipmates are unauthorized

I had always thought they were frowned upon and viewed with a heavy tinge of "keep your home poo poo home and work poo poo work", but they're actually banned?

https://boards.law.af.mil/CG/BCMR/NJP%20and%20Court-Martial/2015-102%20NJP_Redacted.pdf

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

US Berder Patrol posted:

Thinking now about getting shipmated by some random chief for my haircut, and when I said "aye-aye, chief" to him his face went beet red, convinced I was cracking wise with him. He wanted to know why I would say that instead of just, "yes". Because they taught me to say that in boot camp?
So he made me stand there at attention on the street in front of the NEX while he tried to call my chief. Never got through for whatever reason, had to just radiate chiefly malice at me while I bowed and scraped my way out of there

Lol get divorced again bitch

^^^^ that last line goes for every chief even air force e9s reading this gently caress you too smdftb

2 days before I got out my COB got on me about my hair. I just said "aye cob" and got the dumb haircut. gently caress it.

funny as gently caress that a chief would flip out for being said aye to

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lightpole posted:

Thank God for a contract with a shower, shitter, and no roommates.

Seriously there's few things nicer than having your own shitter.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

MFU juniors are making decent money and have a decent union with similar stuff to officers, own room with bathroom, tv, fridge, etc. If you move up to electrician or reefer you're basically making 2nds pay, around $800/day I think but I think the pension is nonexistent and the vacation isn't as good.

How's the supply of electros and reefers out there, on the SIU ships we've been short on the equivalent guy (electricians) for a while now. Lot of engineers getting an education in reefers the hard way.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I slipped up and told one of our tightest-assed officers to carry on once that got me a talkin to. Kinda worth it to see him redden up though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GD_American posted:

ok so random-rear end browsing and landed on a court-martial record of a Coastie in a contract marriage, and came upon this bit of brain-meltingness:

I had always thought they were frowned upon and viewed with a heavy tinge of "keep your home poo poo home and work poo poo work", but they're actually banned?

https://boards.law.af.mil/CG/BCMR/NJP%20and%20Court-Martial/2015-102%20NJP_Redacted.pdf

That could just be sloppy paraphrasing on the part of the report. Unless the Coast Guard specifically has different standards, they're not flat-out banned, just subject to a lot of restrictions. Can't be a big rank differential; can't be a subordinate/superior chain of command relationship; can't be married to other people; and you can't have sex or any romantic behavior onboard a ship. So in this particular case she's in the wrong if they're able to prove she's actually in a relationship with another sailor on board, but in general it's permitted for, say, two unmarried E-3's in different divisions to be in a relationship as long as they keep it out of work. Terrible idea, but not banned.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

I'm not going to say dont go MSC but just be very aware of what it is. The 3rd on there for 2 years should go home with $700k+ but some money just isn't worth it. There are the RRF ships which mostly sit around at the dock on 5 day notice and those are really nice if you live close cause they are under DoT until the second they get activated so most of the time they have less DoN bullshit.

That buddy on that govt boat told me about the SIU entry level apprenticeship, so it's something I'd had in my back pocket. I had no idea about MFU, but it turns out I am close to their hiring hall and in person is the only way you can apply at the entry level -- good to know! So thanks for this post.

FWIW, the "government boat" my buddy works on is in a pretty different mission set, not military related really. Those folks were telling me that they're always needing electronics people, so getting myself ready to apply when their job listings post in October is my big project for the year. I'm on semester 2 of 4 of an electronics associate's at my local community college, but I can matriculate for a "Basic Electronics" vocational certificate after this fall. I have had amateur radio privileges since even before I ever started taking my night school in electronics, so I think studying on my own for the GROL later this year is a pretty reasonable goal as well. That's a good start I reckon, but I think it unlikely that they'll hire me on as an E-Tech without any experience (old job listings show that they'll technically hire Electronics Tech at Wiper but prefer QMED-Electrician). They do hire for other roles at the entry level -- specifically, hydrographic survey work, which I am a little more qualified for already from an educational standpoint. It's a considerably smaller salary, but I think I could probably move towards Chief Electronics Dude from within the organization if I worked as a mission tech at the OS/Wiper level first. I have to admit my goals and plans are still a bit foggy, but I may ask y'all for more advice on this stuff later.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I would recommend getting a plan together if you actually want to do it. SIU is pretty lovely compared to MFU, MFU needs people, you need sea time and training for upgrades etc. Can also go for officer if you want, the MEBA still has a pension, the company makes a contribution matching 5-20% of my pay toward a 401k, full medical, etc. The ARA as well if you want to go radio officer route, 2nds pay guaranteed OT, light work, and I think they are coming out with electrical technical officer soon and not many people have that endorsement. Just be aware of pay and conditions across the industry cause places want to lock you in with low pay and poo poo conditions.

Theres options and slurm or I should be able to help point you somewhere if your friends can't help.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Most of the industry loving blows compared to the good parts of it which don't seem to be that much harder to get into or any harder work.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Fourteen years out and I still have a habit of repeat-aye-ing people. "Could you get me a fork?" "Fork, aye."

It gets me the occasional side-eye but trying to stop would be an annoying effort.

I do that all the time. Repeat the command, aye. I do that and "Yes, chef." It's both funny and useful simultaneously.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Repeat and aye isn’t just a navy thing, I do it and I haven’t been at sea in ten years.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I repeat almost every order or request mostly to make sure I heard it right and so I don't forget it in the time it takes to grab my note pad and pen and write it down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

the piece of poo poo spearhead class i was on was equally bad except it was by design not because it was old and tired.

"The ship is unstable in rough seas and at high speeds. At 10 knots in calm sea states the hull can roll up to four degrees to each side, while conventional ships would roll very little; this increases if the ship goes faster or in rougher conditions, raising the possibility of seasickness.[10] To achieve its top speed the ship has to be traveling in waters not exceeding sea state 3 (waves up to 1.25 m (4.1 ft) high). At sea state 4 it can travel at up to 15 knots, at only 5 knots in sea state 5, and has to hold position in any higher sea state."

1) I got use to the torque of the ship pretty quickly and never got sea sick. however I saw an entire security detachment of marines and sailors get wrecked on their first couple nights on the ship in transit.
2) lol we would run and hide at sea state 3. Ship would just try to tear itself apart.

Those things look wicked cool from a distance, but up close the corrugated skin makes them look like a meth shack some redneck built in their yard.

FrozenVent posted:

Repeat and aye isn’t just a navy thing, I do it and I haven’t been at sea in ten years.

It really is good concise language. I like to do really loud sarcastic ones after my boss gives me a task I don't wanna do (he's also prior Navy)

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Gruntyginman/status/1630633738580180999?t=zjr-L4HfR7VNsWrB9EsSRA&s=19

It literally costs nothing to be a good :chiefsay: and look out for your people. I never understood fellow Chiefs that were like this.

For some reason all the submarines I was on were really good about this when we were in pretty, people would pick up duty... everyone had a "look out for your family" mentality.

At sea? It was a different story, I had to help drag an FT1 off our COB after the COB told him he wouldn't be let off the boat for his 5 year old daughter's funeral* and to "suck it up, buttercup"

We were not on mission, we were loving around near Florida preparing for deployment.

*it doesn't make it any better, but she died of a chronic illness, and her death was not unexpected.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 3, 2023

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

For some reason all the submarines I was on were really good about this when we were in pretty, people would pick up duty... everyone had a "look out for your family" mentality.

At sea? It was a different story, I had to help drag an FT1 off our COB after the COB told him he wouldn't be let off the boat for his 5 year old daughter's funeral* and to "suck it up, buttercup"

We were not on mission, we were loving around near Florida preparing for deployment.

*it doesn't make it any better, but she died of a chronic illness, and her death was not unexpected.

That sounds like a specific COB I had as well and it is a very small world so there's a good chance it was lol.

My last sea command was the Tender in La Madd. I was the Command DAPA for a while and had a weekly meeting with the CO, XO, JAG, CMC and me, a first class. I got to hear a LOT of interesting things in those meetings and one specific moment stands out to me. We were waiting for one of the other guys to show up for the meeting so the CO was going through things on his desk. Then he picks up the phone and tells the CHENG to come to his stateroom. CHENG shows up and the Captain asks why he disapproved a leave chit.
"Sir, we will be underway for that period."

CO: "So can you explain to me why you can't get this ship underway without (looks at chit) EN3 Smith?"

Dude got his leave approved and I'm sure his Chain of Command was totally cool about it. It was fun to hear anyway.

Speaking of anyway, I was going to cross-post some pictures from the Lego thread of a project I'm working on that is Navy related if there is any interest.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Elviscat posted:

I'm sure I know the answer but please tell me something happened to that chief and nothing happened to that sailor.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One of my CMCs who was publicly later relieved of his duties (wow, I have multiple ones who fit this bill!) didn't let a CE1 go home for the birth of his daughter because we were doing field training. The training is 4 hours drive from homeport. He could have been gone a day and came back.

This CE1 still had good things to say about said CMC and spoke at his retirement, the one he had because after being publicly fired for sexual harassment he was shuffled from the NCF to a blue Navy command where he allegedly tried to pull rank regarding things involving the real Navy (note - Seabees know nothing about this subject. Or construction) and drinking on the job.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yeah if there's anything that's worth an end- run past your own command and straight to SUBRON, that would be it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

That sounds like a specific COB I had as well and it is a very small world so there's a good chance it was lol.

My last sea command was the Tender in La Madd. I was the Command DAPA for a while and had a weekly meeting with the CO, XO, JAG, CMC and me, a first class. I got to hear a LOT of interesting things in those meetings and one specific moment stands out to me. We were waiting for one of the other guys to show up for the meeting so the CO was going through things on his desk. Then he picks up the phone and tells the CHENG to come to his stateroom. CHENG shows up and the Captain asks why he disapproved a leave chit.
"Sir, we will be underway for that period."

CO: "So can you explain to me why you can't get this ship underway without (looks at chit) EN3 Smith?"

Dude got his leave approved and I'm sure his Chain of Command was totally cool about it. It was fun to hear anyway.

Speaking of anyway, I was going to cross-post some pictures from the Lego thread of a project I'm working on that is Navy related if there is any interest.

The Emory S. Land was a huge piece of poo poo and it was wild being assigned to it on rotational staffing on my supposed "shore" duty. They made it a mixed company ship and drastically downsized the crew. There were about 200 MSC civilian mariners who filled almost all the positions of ship's company, and then about 200 Navy folks who made up repair division, with about another 50 Navy folks who did admin/idler jobs and various parts of command.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

aye aye chief, have a fine navy day *turns smartly and cheerfully to assigned tasks*

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

So, inexperienced USAF SNCO here, I've been following the Navy threads here for years. From seeing how Navy Chiefs in other job fields act (mine is very joint-service & chill, the Navy Chiefs generally aren't jackasses), it's been a good learning experience in how to not SNCO. TYF your suffering.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Flyinglemur posted:

COB Murphy on 774, but he did like 3 COB tours so there's a good chance.

McNally posted:

I'm sure I know the answer but please tell me something happened to that chief and nothing happened to that sailor.

Mediocre news! The COB was force retired soon after for a variety of reasons, FT1 faced no disciplinary action, and was one of our EP firsts, went to the chillest shore duty I've ever heard of, and is Chiefing it up nowadays, knowing him he'll never drink the Kool-aid, and is probably on a boat protecting his sailors from the same bullshit he went through.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

So, inexperienced USAF SNCO here, I've been following the Navy threads here for years. From seeing how Navy Chiefs in other job fields act (mine is very joint-service & chill, the Navy Chiefs generally aren't jackasses), it's been a good learning experience in how to not SNCO. TYF your suffering.

My coworker is an AF Reserve SNCO, on slow nights we swap stories, and, uh, yeah hopefully the AF culture is wearing off on those Chiefs, y'all have your own problems culture-wise but on the whole the AF sounds way more chill.

Not every Navy E7 is a piece of poo poo either, I've actually been really lucky with the ones I've directly worked for, one saved my career when I was an E4, and another literally saved my life later in my career, another still is my best friend.

E: every single COB* I've had has been an unrepentant piece of poo poo in at least one way though.

*E8 or E9 senior enlisted leader on a submarine, for those not in the community, old traditional term for a CMC.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 4, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Nobody posts about the (vast majority of) chiefs that are mostly fine most of the time

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Nobody posts about the (vast majority of) chiefs that are mostly fine most of the time

We try to keep this thread grounded in reality.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve had at least two outstanding Master Chiefs I’ve spent a lot of time with. Nobody’s interested in feel good stories though we love sharing misery!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Jimmy Smuts posted:

My negotiations teacher had us read Difficult Conversations and I'd recommend it. Just because I can order people around doesn't mean its the best way to go about it. I can head off all sorts of issues because people trust me enough to talk to me even when I don't want them to.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

There was a chief working the gate at NOB who got Very Upset that i tried to drive onto the base while out of uniform.

Not because i was in civvies, but because i had my crackerjack pants and dress shoes on but my top and neckerchief were on a hanger in my back window. He had the gate guard direct me to pull over and rolled up on me to demand an explanation.

I told him that i had a dress whites inspection that morning and i didn't want my top to get wrinkled or dirtied by the seat belt.

He made me get out of my car and stand at attention on the median while he called the boat to tell them i was standing in my underwear in the middle of the road.

My chief had to come up from the pier to collect me.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Of course not all chiefs are bastards, so it's mostly joking on my end. I shouldn't say gently caress all chiefs, we had a guy do a drunk thing and get extra duty, and our chief made sure to take him for a bunch of extra duty days. He did a lot of dumb makework stuff ofc, but our chief was also like shooting basketball with him and I think genuinely trying to see if he could help or life coach the guy up a bit. He was cool. My chief on my shore duty ran a lot of cover to make sure all of us could take as much leave and liberty as we could, which was also dope. My lcpo on first deployment was a bona fide old school operator type and he was maybe one of the coolest dudes I ever met to this day.

But it's an imperial war machine, unfortunately. What can you say, it's a pretty toxic work environment most of the time. The jerks are definitely out there and the navy definitely has that reputation for a good reason. Quite a few of my year group are chiefs now and they don't usually have a lot nice to say about their colleagues lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Elviscat posted:

E: every single COB* I've had has been an unrepentant piece of poo poo in at least one way though.

*E8 or E9 senior enlisted leader on a submarine, for those not in the community, old traditional term for a CMC.

my first cob was a piece of poo poo who directly caused the death of a shipmate. my second cob inherited a pile of poo poo because of the fallout of that and was actually a decent guy.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Worth a poo poo Chiefs are 1 in 10, tops. Its like Office Space but your labor can't quit or they go to prison.

I'll ride or die for the 1 though.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
So there I was on AS39, one of like 5 or 6 First Classes in my repair division. I had submitted a request chit to go be the Command DAPA and the senior chief took that poo poo really personal. Apparently he had instructed my chief to really gently caress with me about it. So I went to the senior chief to say something about the reprisal and how it was pretty hosed up, not knowing what was really going on. So my chief came back at me screaming and informed me that I had to paint his office in the divisional space. I was like, wtf? but I didn't say anything. I skipped lunch to get paint and supplies from the paint locker and knock it out at noon. He came back in as I was finishing up and lost his goddamn mind. He was SCREAMING at me for painting his office and that I should have waited until after working hours, which was not explained to me at all. So he had the leading first class write a counseling chit on me. I just stared at him the whole time and I knew he was uncomfortable but he was trying to make chief and I knew that at some point I would be the DAPA. The first made chief, the chief made master chief eventually and was a miserable back stabbing poo poo.

Side note, that chief grew up about a half hour away from my home town in South Dakota. It's a small world so I was talking to my parents about poo poo and it turns out my dad knew his dad. And then I learned that a LOT of people knew his dad. Back in the day his dad and their neighbor got into a fight about water in their farm lands and Chief's Dad shot and killed the neighbor. I think maybe chief didn't like me too much when I told him that my dad knew his dad. I certainly didn't think that would start a contentious relationship but there we were anyway. 20 years has given me a LOT of lovely E7 and above stories. Also had a lot of good E7 and above stories, but not as many as the lovely ones.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The other day I threatened to cross post a thing I'm working on from the Lego thread so here it is, for your consideration. I started doing car kits last year and found that it really helps out my mental health. There is a free program you can download to design your own poo poo, then you upload the parts to a linked website that has vendors buying and selling parts, so you can order the parts and actually build poo poo. So I decided to give it a go. Started with something small....

The parts for the first step

Some progress

finished:

you gotta click it for the gif to work

The plan is to have cutouts throughout the model, with lighting. The VL tube is hard to see there because the light isn't on, but it is definitely there.

This week I got most of the parts for the next step:

With both sections I have learned that I'm underengineering parts of it, so I have to order more parts and wait for them to get here. Not pictured are the two other Mk48s and the Tomahawk canister.

The sections will be connected better than this, but I put them next to each other just to see.

My wife is really impressed (she is easily impressed) and said "wow, that's big. There's only one more section, right?"

lol

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dude that’s awesome.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Woah, that owns :sun:

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Is that your own design? That's awesome, you're going to learn so much about Lego design from this.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Do they made sad Lego men for the engine room?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

slurm posted:

Is that your own design? That's awesome, you're going to learn so much about Lego design from this.

Yes. And yes, I am learning a lot as I go. For instance, as I designed it on the program, I didn't make instructions. So the dome/VL section was just a poo poo ton of black bricks. So I turned all of them white on the program and then as I built, changed each brick I used to black to keep track of what I did and where I was. I'm not happy with the dome, but gently caress me that was hard to design. I must have tried a dozen or so different methods and just went with what I have here. Hopefully the rest of the model will take your eyes off of the dome.

Cerekk posted:

Do they made sad Lego men for the engine room?

They do, for sure. I ordered all the parts for the minifigs for the forward section this week. THAT is where they get you. But I am making it to minifig scale, so there is room for them in the three levels. I'm seriously considering making the laundry area with the dryer on fire. For accuracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What the gently caress is it with sea going dryers? I don’t think I’ve practiced anything so much in my life as putting out a fire in a loving laundry rooms.

I’ve seen fires in trash cans, various parts of engine rooms, unloading tunnels, cargo holds, but never a laundry room.