Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CzarChasm posted:

How about a thread appropriate subtle moment tied to this bit of trivia.

There's a scene where this security guard taps on a glass window and it sounds like something blunt and fleshy hitting glass.

Later when he has been replaced by the T-1000, he taps the glass again, but the sound is replaced with something metal hitting the glass instead.

I just rewatched it and holy poo poo, nice catch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWk7d1STpGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's not Carrie Coon, it's Anna Torv.

what     the     gently caress

step back

i think i have the goon face blindness now

first, it was that one frame of damon as leo, now its spreading

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

what     the     gently caress

step back

i think i have the goon face blindness now

first, it was that one frame of damon as leo, now its spreading

No, Carrie Coon and Anna Torv look shockingly similar, and I'm someone without face blindness whatsoever.

I mean, look at them....

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jedit posted:

Leslie appears well before that scene in the theatrical cut, in Sarah's dream. She's the Sarah Connor in the playground with the kids. The two of them never share a shot in that scene so there was no particular need to do it, but it allowed Cameron to create the scene without any wardrobe fuckery and using natural reactions and sight lines.

I think she also played one of the Sarahs in the steel mill.

BTW, that's the one deleted scene in the movie that bugs me. The rest are neat but slow down the pacing, but I like the character work better when John doesn't need help to tell if his mom is the one advertising their position by calling for help or the one with the shotgun.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The steel mill scenes that were cut in Terminator 2: Judgement Day did answer the moment when the T-1000 had that T-800 exoskeleton scan up after beating Arnold, tho I don't mind it being cut as it did slow the pace down.

I'm watching Terminator: Genisys and there isn't much that's subtle about it. In fact, it kinda sucks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Genisys would easily be the worst terminator movie if there weren't so many other godawful terminator movies.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Genisys would easily be the worst terminator movie if there weren't so many other godawful terminator movies.

The quality gap between the trailer for Salvation and the full movie is like an ocean.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, Carrie Coon and Anna Torv look shockingly similar, and I'm someone without face blindness whatsoever.

I mean, look at them....

Plus in TLOU she's pretty dirtied up so distinguishing features are less noticeable, and Coon was on a previous prestige HBO drama.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I mean, look at them....

sure but can we be sure thats not just our brain fungi talking #wow #whoa

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's not exactly subtle but I'm rewatching Terminator 2 and I love how even the movie itself is sick of Sarah's monologuing by the second half.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I watched the first Terminator recently on TV. Man... it's such a good film.

One thing I really liked about it is that in the movie, getting shot really messes you up. Everyone who is shot pretty much dies instantly. When Reese is shot he doesn't like hold his bullet wound and keep firing back, he immediately loses consciousness.

It really highlights just how unstoppable Terminators are compared to humans.

Also James Cameron made the film for 6.4 million dollars. That is so crazily low, even for the time.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Schneider Inside Her posted:

One thing I really liked about it is that in the movie, getting shot really messes you up. Everyone who is shot pretty much dies instantly. When Reese is shot he doesn't like hold his bullet wound and keep firing back, he immediately loses consciousness.

Also James Cameron made the film for 6.4 million dollars. That is so crazily low, even for the time.

I remember in the supplemental materials of the T2 laserdisc they mention that Arnie made 20 million for being in that movie. Laserdisc was so cool back then, except for being the disc flip bitch because you're the kid in the family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

poonchasta posted:

I remember in the supplemental materials of the T2 laserdisc they mention that Arnie made 20 million for being in that movie. Laserdisc was so cool back then, except for being the disc flip bitch because you're the kid in the family.

That can sometimes be fun. Like getting kids to help plug in new devices to the inevitable jungle of cords under and behind the TV, it's nice to have your smallness be useful.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I just rewatched it and holy poo poo, nice catch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWk7d1STpGo

Also at the end of that clip there's a rare moment of a Hollywood action movie character actually doing what would be necessary to knock somebody out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Schneider Inside Her posted:

tbf 6.4 million dollars in the 1980s is pretty much 6-4 million billionm today

because of the inflation and stuff

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbf 6.4 million dollars in the 1980s is pretty much 6-4 million billionm today

because of the inflation and stuff

I did some googling cos I am bored at work and I think it works out to be 22 million dollars today. I think, I'm real bad at maths and recognising how much numbers are.

$22,169,251.70 is the number I got from an inflation calculator.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Not counting things too obscure to be in Wikipedia, the main theme for The Terminator is the only song in the 13/16 time signature. It wasn't supposed to be, but the composer had to do a bunch of poo poo manually that software would handle now, and something got messed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cwi0pkhoSE

Technically there's a second song, but it only uses it for a single measure and uses pretty much every time signature possible, switching through them seemingly at random. Listen to it here if you hate yourself (or like this kind of thing, I won't judge): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcdsgD22_Iw

Also, forget the age-old "Superman vs Goku" argument. Who wins in Sarah Connor vs Laurie Strode vs Ellen Ripley?

Edit: Actually, should Sidney Prescott be in there too? Do we need a Final Girls bracket?

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Mar 4, 2023

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Can't even lie, genesys is one of my favorite bad movies. It knows it sucks and it dives headfirst into "don't give a gently caress" and just unleashes crazy poo poo.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can't even lie, genesys is one of my favorite bad movies. It knows it sucks and it dives headfirst into "don't give a gently caress" and just unleashes crazy poo poo.

I've not seen all the sequels to T2, but out of T3, Salvation and Genesys... I dont know that I'd argue that Genesys was the best of the 3 as such, but it is the one I enjoyed watching the most.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Salvation is the only one I truly dislike from start to finish. The rest of them all have something appealing to me in them somewhere.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't normally fall asleep in movies. Salvation put me to sleep.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll never forget the moment after seeing the trailer for Terminator: Salvation then discovering McG directed it and being all :negative:.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

rydiafan posted:

Also, forget the age-old "Superman vs Goku" argument. Who wins in Sarah Connor vs Laurie Strode vs Ellen Ripley?

Edit: Actually, should Sidney Prescott be in there too? Do we need a Final Girls bracket?
All of them are incredibly badass survivors, but only Sarah Connors has actual guerrilla training. Ellen Ripley probably has the largest bodycount of them all, but all her kills are in a single day.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Genysis is the third best Terminator move, barely ahead of what I assume is the last one ever. They took the right tack: if ya hosed up several serious ones, ya need to make a goofy non-serious one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just rewatched Tangled as I'm planning to go through the TV show again now it's on UK disney plus in it's entirety, and realised that the end credits actually have some aspects that come back in the show as I never sat through them before - the art style is very reminiscent of the opening notebook drawings for the TV show that summarise the plot so far, but also at one point Eugene and Rapunzel are seen seeing a monkey with a turban - the monkey that in the TV show turns out to be helping a con artist fake being a fortune teller and has a lot of importance to the overall plot of the show.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Android Apocalypse posted:

The steel mill scenes that were cut in Terminator 2: Judgement Day did answer the moment when the T-1000 had that T-800 exoskeleton scan up after beating Arnold, tho I don't mind it being cut as it did slow the pace down.

Is been awhile, what is the moment/answer here? I don't remember either scene you're talking about

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Honestly i thought T3 could have been pretty solid except for the casting of John, bad dialogue and complete lack of chemistry between John and Claire Daines, and the whole set-up of "hey, this random person i kidnapped was actually the girl i made out with at a junior high basement party 15 years ago" setup that i think was cribbed from the EU books.

I thought the TX was cool and the story was decent otherwise but it was really harmed by flat performances and bad dialogue.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I haven’t watched it in years, but my memory is T3 had some kinda meh early-00s CGI that didn’t look great then and didn’t age well at all, which stood in very stark contrast to T2 that still looks mostly fantastic.

Salvation was mostly meh at best because their version of the future war wasn’t just more of the awesome scenes from the first two movies, but I recall at least a few moments of it that were decent, like the T-800 reveal and the ensuing fight having some parallels with the one from the original movie. Genisys was more meh I saw once and I didn’t bother to see Dark Fate at all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fartknocker posted:

I haven’t watched it in years, but my memory is T3 had some kinda meh early-00s CGI that didn’t look great then and didn’t age well at all, which stood in very stark contrast to T2 that still looks mostly fantastic.

Salvation was mostly meh at best because their version of the future war wasn’t just more of the awesome scenes from the first two movies, but I recall at least a few moments of it that were decent, like the T-800 reveal and the ensuing fight having some parallels with the one from the original movie. Genisys was more meh I saw once and I didn’t bother to see Dark Fate at all.

Dark Fate is the good one.

The others are all meh to bad.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Friend posted:

Is been awhile, what is the moment/answer here? I don't remember either scene you're talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pq9F5f8kyE&t=147s
Pretty sure they're talking about the ripple that goes through the T-1000 right after he sticks Arnold's arm in the gear and switches back from chrome to color. This is from the extended version that shows he can't keep his shape anymore but the ripple is in both versions.

I first saw the movie on DVD and just thought the ripple was the T-1000 doing a quick clean-up on his appearance after the fight. Even after I'd seen the extended version I just thought it was a generic glitch and not more of him accidentally mimicking everything he touches.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Dark Fate is the good one.

The others are all meh to bad.

I've only seen it once but I remember liking it the best out of the sequel sequels. Salvation I remember thinking was decent, but I'm not sure I ever saw it a second time. I enjoyed what Genisys was doing with the "everything you knew about Terminator is wrong and backwards now" thing and then thought the rest of it was less interesting. 3 I can't be objective about because its the most excited I'd ever been for a movie and nothing could have lived up to the movie I'd built up in my brain ahead of time. Its part of why I will now only watch a trailer and then if I decide to watch the movie I just ignore subsequent trailers and try not to think about it or theory craft or anything ahead of time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I loved Salvation. I don't understand why everyone hates it? I guess I went in with no expectations, and I hadn't seen this great trailer everyone talks about. All I knew is: Christian Bale is John Connor and it's future stuff. There are things I didn't like about it, but the whole ride I thought was great. I thought it tied in well enough with 1, 2, 3 while being able to pretty well stand on its own as its own thing. The twist ending was also really fitting and, well for me, it surprised me at the time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

rydiafan posted:

Are we restricting to original movie? Alien and Terminator?

Edit: if so, I'm going with Ripley based on the last 10 minutes of the movie.

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Mar 5, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Salvation at least had the Mad Max with robots future and some crazy Skynet poo poo, but it really sounds like they butchered all the interesting parts of the plot to appease Bale's ego.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The most annoying bit in salvation was the terminator being gigantically badass and imposing and wrecking poo poo so when he gets his hands on Conner he just throws him around a bunch instead of squishing his head or just breaking his neck. Yes it'd be a short fight but drat, you literally have him in your hands, just squish the fucker.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The most annoying bit in salvation was the terminator being gigantically badass and imposing and wrecking poo poo so when he gets his hands on Conner he just throws him around a bunch instead of squishing his head or just breaking his neck. Yes it'd be a short fight but drat, you literally have him in your hands, just squish the fucker.

To be fair, that's what Arnold did to Sarah's roommate's boyfriend in the first movie.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Also I don't understand how a Terminator could be such a bad shot. How do fuckin robots with the shot accuracy of storm troopers overthrow humanity, anyway?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

credburn posted:

Also I don't understand how a Terminator could be such a bad shot. How do fuckin robots with the shot accuracy of storm troopers overthrow humanity, anyway?

Nukes did the bulk of the work, hunter-killers were responsible for mop-up.

Terminators are more an infiltration model.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We watched Terminator again and at the end my wife said that she had completely forgotten the plot so it was like she was seeing it for the first time.

I was jealous for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Nukes did the bulk of the work, hunter-killers were responsible for mop-up.

Terminators are more an infiltration model.

...and as such they need to rely completely on on camera based image recognition that seemingly hasn't progressed much past Tesla's self driving.