Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Zodijackylite posted:

After reading that article, I looked at the Flyers CapFriendly page and saw that they acquired a UFA rental in Brendan Lemieux and didn't trade UFAs JVR and Justin Braun. They have their own 1st this year, but their 2nd was traded for Ristolainen. They have an extra 3rd from trading Justin Braun at the deadline last year, as well as from the Giroux trade, but they traded their own 3rd away in the DeAngelo trade. They also have an extra 4th (Brassard) and 6th (Patrick Brown) this year. They also traded their 2nd and 5th next year.

Oof, that's a rebuild?

Never fear, Chuck Fletcher has a plan. It's a secret plan. In fact it's so secret that not even he knows what it is. But it's gonna blow your mind like whoooooaaaaa. You're in good hands, Flyers fans.

e: god loving drat it why is every post I make either the 40th or the 1st post on a page :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was busy yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to bless this thread with my thoughts. I do like what the Leafs did this deadline, even if I think they could have done slightly better. We've already discussed ROR, but I do like the additions to the blueline. However, do they need 9D? No. No team does. It is what it is at this point, though, even if I thought they should have traded Holl. I also know in a few years I will be rueing the Sandin trade.

This deadline was Dubas moving all the chips in, and this is definitely the last chance for this team. Another failure means Dubas/Keefe won't be back. The Big 4 may not stay the Big 4. Someone else is going to try to slightly retool this team.

In other news, is Arizona even a real NHL team? They are a bad team, but they feel different than any other bad team. They seem purposely trying to stay a bad team.

Also, got to watch Bedard last night on TSN. I am not an expert at judging prospects, but I will be surprised if Bedard doesn't become one of the best players in the league in a year or two of entering the league. His shot is so deadly. He is not just quick, but he is agile. Manages to always find space. Of course, these things look even better playing against worse competition, but I think he'll adapt fairly easily.

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1631489913827872770

Really surprised no one posted this gem.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Had to watch it live, didn't need to see it again. Literally muted the stream in cringe.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

the most embarrassing sport on ice

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Hey there's one Western Canadian team that is good and brings joy. It's a pretty good time!

lol come on now.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is there a video of the Devils/Knights OT anywhere? I gotta watch that again.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

fawning deference posted:

I've only found the highlights and the shootout. It's not often you see Adin Hill steal a game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

lol come on now.

Don't worry, when Darryl Sutter becomes GM there will be a second Western Canadian team bringing me joy.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
McDavid draft year: 120 points in 47 games (2014-15 in the OHL)
Bedard draft year: 119 points in 46 games (2022-23 in the WHL)

Just give him to the Blue Jackets. The league needs it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

whl ain't the ohl

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

McDavid draft year: 120 points in 47 games (2014-15 in the OHL)
Bedard draft year: 119 points in 46 games (2022-23 in the WHL)

Just give him to the Blue Jackets. The league needs it.

they'd never let that happen
if they're fixing it, they're fixing it for chicago
the league can't afford for that team to suck for the next decade, it's too big a market

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I think Chicago has enough fan support from the 2009-2017 success that they'll be popular for a while. The Jackets are starving.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mr. Kite posted:

I think Chicago has enough fan support from the 2009-2017 success that they'll be popular for a while. The Jackets are starving.

Columbus has had several sellouts this season for a terrible hockey team. Give them a reward.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

CBJSprague24 posted:

Columbus has had several sellouts this season for a terrible hockey team. Give them a reward.

So what, Arizona has sold out every game this year

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Draisaitls goal last night was rude as hell he's so cool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

honestly if i was in the area and had the money i would go see cbj no matter how bad the team is overall just to hear the cannon irl once. that's cool and special.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

So what, Arizona has sold out every game this year

Thats cheating when they only have 800 seats to sell.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

honestly if i was in the area and had the money i would go see cbj no matter how bad the team is overall just to hear the cannon irl once. that's cool and special.

It's a recording played over the sound system because the woke NHL doesn't want to "permanently deafen their fans" or whatever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Don't worry, when Darryl Sutter becomes GM there will be a second Western Canadian team bringing me joy.

Bedard is going to leave Regina to go to the NHL though, so you’ll be back down to one. :colbert:

I’m sure the Oilers will find a way to disappoint both you and McDavid.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

Chicago's attendance is way down. The hockey popularity bump they generated at local ice rinks has died down too, some of it's almost assuredly covid related but both youth and beer league signups have declined.

Not that I'm arguing for Chicago to get any handouts at all, gently caress em. But they are definitely way less popular than they once were.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

It's a recording played over the sound system because the woke NHL doesn't want to "permanently deafen their fans" or whatever.

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

We need 10 mins of 3 on 3 just to watch Jack Hughes play 3 on 3 more.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Twin Cinema posted:

In other news, is Arizona even a real NHL team? They are a bad team, but they feel different than any other bad team. They seem purposely trying to stay a bad team.

I am by no means an expert but it seems like arizona is like a tech startup that never makes any money and tries to cash out as soon as a buyer appears.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m at the AHL outdoor game in Cleveland and after warmups they announced a five hour delay due to the sun.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Arivia posted:

No. Not the cannon...

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Spelling Mitsake posted:

No. Not the cannon...

Ugh that loving game

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

what, did they get a little too much of that Columbus nightlife

e: I shouldn't antagonize, I think the Wings have allowed something like 40% of the 10-spots this millennium

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 4, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

eXXon posted:

Arivia posted:

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The cannon itself makes no noise, but the flash of the pyro charge it's synced to is real (and can be seen in the rafters if you're in the upper bowl).

They had to tone down the intensity of the explosion as allegedly the trial runs when it was installed rattled the windows in the arena on the concourses.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 4, 2023

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Dahlin back way sooner than I expected. "Day to Day and then retroactively placed on IR" is often code for "he was actually week to week the whole time".

May have jumped the gun on my doomering.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Stillman played 1.5 games for the Sabres before being murdered by Tanner Jeannot, RIP

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Tampa continues to somehow stay lowkey but legit the dirtiest team in the league

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
stillman had a legitimately great game until his brains got scrambled

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils notable things in line rushes today... no Sharangovich (this is after he barely played yesterday after the second period) and the formation of just an absolutely disgusting line with Meier:

Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Palat-Haula-Boqvist
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

It's tempting to put Meier with Nico for the Swiss chemistry and to ensure both lines have high volume shooters/finishers, but also, that first line has been SO good that I get why Lindy just put Meier with Jack.

If this team had a good 3C it would be lights out. Not sure where Lazar will fit since BMW is actually coming together the past few games, but New Jersey's top six god drat.

For good measure, here's their first PP unit:

Hughes-Hischier-Bratt-Meier-Hamilton

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

whatis posted:

stillman had a legitimately great game until his brains got scrambled

canucks fans will tell you he was awful but he was partnered with tyler myers basically his entire time in vancouver. he's prone to mistakes in coverage but he's useful otherwise

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Dawson Mercer is my favourite player in the NHL in case anyone cares

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1632098219286052864?s=46&t=MoaE4jJkcLe9-XYHTDi3yw

The stick of an independent thinker

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Devils notable things in line rushes today... no Sharangovich (this is after he barely played yesterday after the second period) and the formation of just an absolutely disgusting line with Meier:

Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Palat-Haula-Boqvist
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

It's tempting to put Meier with Nico for the Swiss chemistry and to ensure both lines have high volume shooters/finishers, but also, that first line has been SO good that I get why Lindy just put Meier with Jack.

If this team had a good 3C it would be lights out. Not sure where Lazar will fit since BMW is actually coming together the past few games, but New Jersey's top six god drat.

It makes no sense to break up Tatar/Nico/Mercer so this makes sense to me. That 2nd line is going to be fire.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Call me crazy, but Colorado should have been burning up the phones finding a second line center rather than making an AHL trade on deadline day.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Palat-Haula-Boqvist
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Playoff experience seems to be A Thing but what if you're just really, really talented in today's nhl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Today was kids’ takeover day at KeyBank Center and the Sabres had a kid as the guest announcer calling the goals and stuff. He was clearly really excited and it was fun. Local dumbass beat writer Mike Harrington apparently thought he was too energetic which led to this incredible exchange:

https://twitter.com/hinostroza12/status/1632121869653487616?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

What a King