Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Those camping photos make me so jealous. It's the middle of winter here, and last week we had tons of snow and extremely heavy winds.

(Which poses an interesting question: how would the truck hold up in winter conditions? Having to devote plenty of energy to heating and less solar output aside, how would, say, a -10, -15 degree centigrade cold affect the frame and welding and stuff?)

The ductile to brittle transition of materials that exhibit that phenomena, like steel, change how much impact strength the material has and it's an S shaped curve. If you arent banging the frame around or dont already have preexisting visible cracks you prob don't need to worry about it much. Here's an example curve:

Charpy V-notch curve for a 0.06C 0.5Ni steel weld metal

Aluminum, copper, lead, and austenitic stainless steels won't have this effect because of their crystal structures.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been tracking a wildcard of 100+ acres in the Mohave, but they still want too much for it given climate change.

What are the climate change implications on land here, water source primarily I would guess?

In the last 3 weeks we've gone through 1 in 250yr flooding followed by a cat 2/3 cyclone causing more deadly slips in my city and widespread devastating flooding further down the country, so climate considerations are a very hot topic right now. Auckland has now hit over half a years rain in just 45 days.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

El Jebus posted:

Yeah, I don't need specifics and am not looking to poach, so vagueness is fine and encouraged! My partner and I joke about moving north east of Salton all the time but we just like living near people now (Coachella valley). We both grew up in pretty rural Oregon and visit during the fires (our parents visit us in the winter so we've all become snowbirds in a way).

Coachella valley is a lot better than the Salton Sea area imo. At least more interesting with some topography around. Salon Sea is about as cheap as it gets though. Pretty sure an acre of dirt out there costs less than a gallon of fuel. A few years ago (lol 2017) I checked out some acreage south of it in a small mountain range that opens up to basically the Algodones dunes and glamis. Would have been impossible to get a well truck out there nevermind a tanker. The 350 would have made it deadhead but not with the camper.

CarForumPoster posted:

The ductile to brittle transition of materials that exhibit that phenomena, like steel, change how much impact strength the material has and it's an S shaped curve. If you arent banging the frame around or dont already have preexisting visible cracks you prob don't need to worry about it much. Here's an example curve:

Thanks for clarifying this. So long as I camp above -40 we'll be alright :sun:
(I'm not entirely sure this camper would stay together and functional at -40. Maybe someday I'll find out.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

What are the climate change implications on land here, water source primarily I would guess?

In the last 3 weeks we've gone through 1 in 250yr flooding followed by a cat 2/3 cyclone causing more deadly slips in my city and widespread devastating flooding further down the country, so climate considerations are a very hot topic right now. Auckland has now hit over half a years rain in just 45 days.

The western states have been subjected to an unusually wet rain season. It kind of doesn't work to fight the drought when a years' or even several years' rains fall in one day. Reservoirs better than they've been in past years which is much needed though I don't see how it's going to hold out long term. Several western reservoirs are at risk of going deadpool. Lake mead is at 29% and Powell at 23% The entire Colorado is hovering around 33% capacity which is still down from 2022. If any of the reservoir chains along the Colorado go deadpool the southwest is in deep poo poo.

Some places I've looked at in years prior had a water table that would require a well in excess of a mile down. That well came with a 'maybe it'll produce, maybe it won't. I'd actually prefer to find something with a producing well on site.

Here's a few links. The first two are interactive.
https://impactlab.org/map/#usmeas=absolute&usyear=2020-2039&gmeas=absolute&gyear=1986-2005&usrcp=ssp245&usvar=tasmax
https://projects.propublica.org/climate-migration/
https://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/weekly.pdf
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/150111/lake-mead-keeps-dropping
https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/lake-mead-below-1050-feet-intake-no-1-pump-off/
https://mead.uslakes.info/level.asp
https://powell.uslakes.info/level.asp

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 17, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If we're gonna do this again I'd like to have some sort of vehicular redundancy. The truck will break as the truck always breaks. It's a pain in the rear end. Buying a car is bullshit right now. And I happen to have two bikes sitting in storage for like two years now.
Recall back to the frame post about the factory reinforcements on latemodel drw pickups.

Collaborating with the welder, we're going to implement that very thing. Ok sort of. The bed upfit is built really terribly. We'll design around that. With pulling under 10k-lb in mind.

First up is pulling the weight off the truck.

Drop the tank, get the shocks out, drop the exhaust.

I'm getting really good at pulling this dumb tank. Bonus this time, it's nearly empty but that's still several gallons.

Airbag section broke again, gonna reinforce.

The fix built using brazing rod to heat the steel enough to form it to the frame.

And plug welded from the outside.

The temp patch, ready to come out.

Cutting out the temp fix for a more permanent solution.

Top side reinforement

And a second piece sandwiched below the channel to clear the dumb bed.

Driver's side

With that out of the way and done. When the spring shop resprung the truck it now sits about an inch higher. The panhard rod for the front axle isn't long enough which causes suspension binding on the passenger side.
The fix is an adjustable panhard.

I was expecting a hell of a fight cause I haven't messed with the panhard since the new bushings years ago and got them on tight. Turns out the bolts were loose from the respring.

Before: Note the deflection on the shackle side bushing and the angle of the shackle itself.

After:

Now that this is done I can take it in for a tire rotation and inspection. They found the chunking normal but they did not like the lovely transmission in this truck.

Filter restriction gauge developed a crack. A new one courtesy of GM this time.

Since air filters are next to impossible to get now, a washable cloth style filter that doesn't need oil. Two up so I can always have a fresh one on rotation.

That leaves me with uhhh

New fuel filters. These spin on dry. Pour the old ones into the tank. System autopurges. 30 sec on, 15 off. do that a few times, then good.

Making friends while I dispose of the old filters.

Front end settled in with a good drive. The truck drives noticeably better. Dare I say the front suspension is working as intended and the frame feels less noodly now.

The farm truck is ready for launch. But will it explode? Does anything work without a hitch after being stored in the desert southwest for a while?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

cursedshitbox posted:

Does anything work without a hitch after being stored in the desert southwest for a while?

Can verify, if you leave something out in the sun in the SW desert, it will disintegrate. Plastics and textiles first.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

El Jebus posted:

Can verify, if you leave something out in the sun in the SW desert, it will disintegrate. Plastics and textiles first.

The few months the camper sat in san diego the UV hit it all pretty hard.
There's UV burning on some of the camper's plastics. The bricknoses' headlights had a layer flaking off of them.

Rolling into the second iteration of random road trips with this old farm truck.

Pick it up for the last time from storage. A night at the local KOA. Maybe for the last time? Probably not.

I'm in awe of the talent to build this sand castle.

Homebrew pitas and Lamb kibbe for dinner.

The screens, they're multiplying. I specifically bought a 30 year old car to avoid this. And yet.

Off to uhaul to grab a box truck.

No. Not this one. But it probably does have a 8.1/allison combo.

Drag down the property values and get our poo poo on the road.

The moving steed. Complete with a LS and blown front shocks.

Day one. Arrive to camp at the Los Alamos camp at Pyramid Lake. This campsite has been heavily damaged in the recent rains.

He lost his keys. A section of weatherstrip on the dinette window started peeling back in the cross winds. This synthetic poo poo just has never worked as good as proper rubber.
In the process he threw the keys on the hood of the uhaul. Then forgot them. That ring had the only keys for most of the hatches and entry door.

The camper needed a new door latch anyway.

Day Two. More driving and another campsite. Island Park Campground in Sanger, CA.
Drove down the boat ramp following google nav. It was on a steep enough grade to warrant 2wd-Low range to back up it and no K turn for risk of rollover.

Oh. Yeah. The frame broke today.
Dude in NoDak stopped his bead where a rivet hole is. And I totally missed it. For 10,000 miles.

I can drill it out for now and make it northward where this frame can be fixed AGAIN.

Old friend of mine in NorCal offered his driveway and a waterlogged HF welder maybe up to the task.
Just gotta make it there. And get our stuff in storage. And return a Uhaul.

Day Three. Hogans Lake. Site 100 for a night. Drop stuff off in storage. Return the van. Then return to site 117.
(I started keeping track of site numbers for if I come back to that campground I'll have a log of where I last stayed and it's impact if any on solar and satellite reception.)

The deer are fine with high stakes games when proper gorbage is involved. Let's be honest, nobody at camp is going to be packing salads unless mom is around.

While running around to get new door and hatch latches I found a "new and improved" window weatherstripping. It looks just like the new-old stuff I got back in 2020 and costs twice as much.
Good cause this looks like poo poo. For the uninitiated that is Hockey Tape. If you do not know what Hockey Tape is, you need Hockey Tape. 20-30 rolls could hold this truck frame together.

I bought enough to redo them all.

Hogans lake has a few trails. Some are more flowy. Others steep and rocky.

End of line for this specific spur.

Then climb for a view. My phone is incredible at making flat things not flat, and not flat things look flat.

Grilled corn and steaks.

He's reported that the brake lights aren't working and when they are they're flickering. Classic loving Ford brake light switch problems.
Except this particular one is a one off. Hydroboost systems require less pressure on the pedal to do the braking bit than the vacuum assisted system do.
The spring inside the switch is calibrated for that specific style of power braking system.
I re-sprung this one to suit. The switch is now flaking out.

Fortunately they're bakelite and bullshit. Broke it down. Cleaned it. set the preload on the spring. Put it back together. Works fine. This time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Reading this thread while playing BeamNG and ended up doing this:

No truck campers in Beam, so it's just a bare flatbed, but I was able to get surprisingly close on that part without having to go find any more mods.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Gavril D35 Pig
Pretty sure if its jumped off a mesa on that map with the gravity turned up just a touch it'll break the frame. If not, max out the spring rate.

I've been learning blender lately. Should make a model of this fucker for BeamNG. Maybe an alternate parts set for the Gavrils. Haven't played that game in ages.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cursedshitbox posted:

I've been learning blender lately. Should make a model of this fucker for BeamNG. Maybe an alternate parts set for the Gavrils. Haven't played that game in ages.
There was recently a new modder challenge run by the BeamNG devs that I had signed up for but never managed to come up with an idea, and when putting this together I was kicking myself for not thinking about doing a camper addon at the time. There's a class C mod for the chassis-cab van and a little bumper pull trailer but nothing in between.

The parts to make the D-Series look like a Ford are from a mod called "DFA Pack" that the modder took off the repository and made patreon-only, the old free version still works though if you can get ahold of it.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

I'm so glad you keep updating this thread, I love it!

On a side note; that vehicle is becoming more weld than frame every day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
What are steel beams if not an Extremely Large Weld Bead anyway. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
This fucker is 20% weld by volume. This is however, the last time this frame gets time under the welder.

Pull up at the friends house. Pull out all the tools. Grab a beer for the Balmer Curve. Drop the loving fuel tank again. This is the uhhh third time this one has been out.

But this time I timed it to run the tank low as possible. The sending unit sank in 2020 and the retainer ring is rusted to the tank. This fuel tank laughs in my face.
It sucked air pulling into the grocery store to grab some cookout items post fix.

The truck killed its batteries trying to evacuate the pump and restart. With about 9V left in the system it lit off. Right after I texted a sos to my buddy. Good thing he was still at home. These batteries are almost 7 years old and have been through hell playing hospice for the old engine. Sometimes cranking that dead lump 90 seconds while also running the glowplug system.

Anyway. Drop the tank. Use a floor jack with a 4x4 to lift the frame back into proper position. The welder is a waterlogged HarborFreight 240V unit that's spent the last 4-5 years outside.
Drill the crack. Then use a 4" grinder and cut into the crack. So that the weld sits flush.

10% duty cycle it does ok. Ok enough that it set the wood block on fire

Plate it from the inside. There's no after photos other than this half rear end potato shot. I am thoroughly over this frame as this frame is thoroughly over life.

If I can't quit. Neither can you, frame.

Gorbage:

This recipe is delicious.
(no pics from the cookout, was too busy housin' it)

Parting gift. Since "i have more use for it"

It can run off of the electrical system of the camper. Though I'll set it up to drive off of the truck's alternator later when I can source the right alternator. The old 100A Ford 1G is a fire hazard. There's a Delta wound ambulance alternator good for 160A at a 100% duty cycle with around 50lb of copper in it. I've wanted one for years. They're extremely hard to find complete with brackets and pulley.

30 miles later. New batteries. :20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

These crapapillar batteries went into the truck when it came out of a field in 2016. I've never really liked their cold starting performance.
A pair of new motorcrafts it is because cold camping r u l e s, and winter is coming. I am not gonna hang out in the lowlands over some bullshit cheap batteries. Good enough for the 6.7 with 500hp. Good enough for the idi with 100.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

cursedshitbox posted:

Gorbage:

This recipe is delicious.
(no pics from the cookout, was too busy housin' it)

Ohh this looks goooood!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So a couple of big Johnsons went under the hood?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

slothrop posted:

Ohh this looks goooood!

I make it literally every time I can find leek now. it is top notch.

STR posted:

So a couple of big Johnsons went under the hood?

Someone is little amped up about a pair of big johnsons. I'll have you know that with a slightly-overcharging-1G-alternator and a 3.6kW of starter they'll turn almost any crank*.

*It does technically do this soon...

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
The Youtube channel B is for Build is starting to build an overlanding camper truck, and they're building it into the cab, with a passthrough, and "strengthening the frame", which from the start seems to be "welding a couple bars in and the old 5th wheel hitch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y7-q6NLxlQ

It'll be interesting to see how whatever they build holds up, and what ends up breaking. It doesn't look like they're doing any actual engineering, just "weld poo poo together and send it".

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

n0tqu1tesane posted:

The Youtube channel B is for Build is starting to build an overlanding camper truck, and they're building it into the cab, with a passthrough, and "strengthening the frame", which from the start seems to be "welding a couple bars in and the old 5th wheel hitch".

It'll be interesting to see how whatever they build holds up, and what ends up breaking. It doesn't look like they're doing any actual engineering, just "weld poo poo together and send it".

Ahh so you see what B is for Build is about. Half the time or more dude has no idea what he’s talking about. He thought he wails be slick and buy some flood teslas from the hurricane a bit ago. Complete failure he did zero due diligence.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

With knowledge only derived from reading this thread, I can't see any way that thing isn't going to come apart at the join between the cab and whatever body they build onto it. PU bushings aren't going to allow a lot of flex surely.

Also I clicked through from that video to a Grind Hard one where they are advertising their totenkopf logo merchandise, another one for the pile I guess

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That whole thing is going to tear itself apart on the first pothole.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

:catstare:

I know where this is going.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

cursedshitbox posted:

I know where this is going.

Yea it seems like the reinforcement theyre doing won't do a great job of resisting the bending load near the cab caused by rocking about the rear wheels/rear springs. Just from reading ITT and some other pics of failure on line it seems like the fix would be gusseting or boxing that runs vertically near the front isolators and probably wherever xmembers are near those isolators.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's no great fix for this. Maybe run a subframe or go to the 4500 chassis that doesn't have the Uey bendy contractor pickup bullshit.

Add insult to injury the guy welds cross braces to these risers. On a frame that's been heat treated.

In the case of the camper above I thought it was installation error but it too cracked at these similar looking risers.
Though on this gen they are redesigned as so.

There's a reason why class 4-8 doesn't use boxed hydroformed frames. It's too rigid.

Dudes truck will probably be fine with an ultralight build. Hardly any builds are "light' let alone "ultralight".

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Simply pre-empt it with a pivot in the frame and some springs between cab and camper

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Need to add some struts between the first and second stage. :jeb:

For reals, why isn't the upfit connected to the cab on these builds? Wouldn't something that could roughly triangulate and change bending point-load stress into a distributed shear or something be better?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Need to add some struts between the first and second stage. :jeb:

For reals, why isn't the upfit connected to the cab on these builds? Wouldn't something that could roughly triangulate and change bending point-load stress into a distributed shear or something be better?

Short answer: frame flex. Long answer: till like 4 years ago truck cabs were a combination of cold wet diarrhea and paper mache'. The NHTSA footage on the 1997 F150 is testament to that.

Some companies do link the cab to the upfit. It's real common in Class Cs and the like and even in class8 land. The longer sleepers like what used on moving company trucks are still independent with a gaiter linking the two. EarthRoamer does something similar the former afaik. I do not however have any details as to how their upfit is built and attached to their trucks.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 5, 2023

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
In talking to someone that knows him personally / is a youtuber themselves I've gotten the idea that he does the builds sketchy style on purpose

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Boca Campground near Truckee.

The bear boxes are for their protection, not yours. What, do you want bears to get anxiety and high cholesterol too? C'mon.

Pretty nice campground. Lots of trails nearby for dirtbikes. Watersports too if that's your thing. Some occasional big block powered money sinkhole in the water goes by. Jetskis are somewhat common. No sight of stand up paddleboards though.

Fog? Didn't expect that but it worked out.

A salad of sorts. Mostly peppers and olives. Which is fine.

The riding is mostly dirtbike/adv/gravel trawler kinda stuff. I did find a couple singletracks to play on.

The Prosser Creek Reservoir dam.

Ok that's a lot of butter, goddamn.

Burrito mix with leftover steak bits. Cook the potatoes like this for a good time.

Down at the other end, more fire roads, a beach, and another dam.

Old bridge. Probably not rated for my heft.

5 minutes after this shot a cargo train goes by. I was already on the other side of the bridge making my slow climb into the background. Next time.

Taking the back roads towards camp. The dam from below.

I had to cross this small bridge built on some original pilings. I uh, don't like it.

I really don't like this.

But the view is pretty.

The spillway.

Don't fall in. The torrent of water is quite loud.

Pretty sure I have a spark arrester on this thing. Pretty Sure. May get labeled as a 'gross polluter' if I'm caught though.

Infrastructure week? It's always infrastructure week. The aging Unifi AP puts up a fight. Requiring pulling this cabinet down for the 37th time.

The bike much like the camper only works because of never ending maintenance. This too is tracked with the power of spreadsheets. That's my actual hobby, not riding and breaking the bike.

loving SRAM

That's better.

The shifter is completely worn the gently caress out. It's been on hospice for about a year now. There's no bearings inside but bushings. The stackup of the various pieces of stamped metal are all heavily worn. One of the two bolts that hold the whole thing together is bent. It usually won't shift properly. It's basically a 4L60E relegated to towing 5 tons everyday forever.

I've been through this area a thousand times and have never stopped or wandered off the cement superslab. Would do again. Preferably with the liter sized dirtbike.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gorgeous scenery, thank you!

You are aware that the only way to get that Unifi to work flawlessly without even a burp, is to move it out to an easily-accessible spot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Every fuckin' thing in this camper follows that rule. The only downside is I happen to live in the easily-accessible bits.

It's been a minute and I don't remember the exact reason why we were in there. I am pretty sure it had to do with failover as that has plagued us since running starlink alongside LTE. The system is supposed to just fall back to the LTE if starlink isn't available, and switch back to it when it is. This has pretty much never worked right.

This infra is pretty old now (it doesn't support wifi 6) and with the various vms that run the networking on a 25W microserver it's a bit of a kludge at best. iirc the AP came out of our house. Which probably came from the Gillig circa 2016. lmao.

It's soon project to replace literally all of this.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The WISP I janitor for has close to a thousand UniFi devices across hundreds of customer sites from the original AP+ to the newest U6 and XG stuff, and not a single one needed the babysitting yours has. I did check and didn't get the luck of the jumpering DC to the orange/green pair as a reset like the other Ubiquiti devices do. DHCP fallback is normally 192.168.1.20/24 and should have SSH and TFTP running all the time, SSH credentials generally stay the default ubnt/ubnt unless you change them. Do you use a controller?

The only time we have issues with the UniFi stuff is bad grounding or static buildup, which basically covers mobile use.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're approaching the edge of what I know about the old system. I'm a network mechanic at best. He does all the plumbing bits despite having no love for it. There's a management vm for the Unifi's configuration due to its specific versioning requirements. When that fails we go in to manually reset the device. There's some homebrew routing tricks via the microserver. Terraform was involved, I helped with part of that but it's been ages ago. Your DHCP rules and SSH callouts do seem familiar though.
iirc the old AP required its own PoE power supply with the reset switch directly on the brick. Which had long gone to the sidelines. The microserver is providing PoE iirc.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 10, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yet another little town I've ridden by a million times. Verdi.

Little campground as part of a truckstop/casino.

The site. As seen from a rental Compass. A week for chorin' and preparing for an old friend's wedding.

There's a decent trail network that runs along the Truckee River.

Wooden aqueducts. It's impressive how leaky these are yet it works.

With a spillway

A historic power house. Looks to be mostly gutted.

Ugh, no fun. Its an alright trail for mtbs though.

Sourdough projects. Pizza dough specifically. This round of pizza will be different. With homebrew sauce from tomatoes grown at the apartment.

Huck it into the fridge for a couple days.

What good is a jeep suv thing if I gotta break the bike down to fit inside. Larger than a 90s Mercedes ML yet somehow has less space inside.

This bridge while pretty was sketchy as f u c k to cross.

turn around spot. Somewhere in this area is a natural hotspring. It was busy when I rode by.

Instead I went for a dunk in the river.

It of course looks flat through here. Good ride while watching traffic back up for miles and miles.

State borders

Bike properly dirty. The jeep doesn't do washboard road so well. Not my problem. It's an ok car that barely does 20mpg with a 4banger.

Post ride trash.

Picked up a couple of cook books.

Sourdough naan? Sourdough naan.

Delicious, but the plating needs forever work.

Sourdough biscuits. Kind of a pain in the rear end to make. Mostly cleanup is a pain.

The hashbrowns are easier though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I am charmed and I am hungry.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

How is the Indian cookbook? I mostly use one of Julie Sahni’s books when I reach for an Indian recipe but I’d love to have one that was both glossy and good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
So far I've really liked it. Imo the biggest suggestion I can make is to stock a couple of specific spices. Asafoetida, cumin, carom, and tumeric comes up often.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lake Tahoe has some interesting rides floating around.

Old VW

Eagle cap on a Ram 3500. This combo is known for breakin' frames.

They should probably bite the bullet and go ram 5500 shopping. Because uh, yeah.

A gasser. Looks like a barrel of fun.

The pizza dough? It am become pizza.

(South) Lake Tahoe itself is pretty nice. Extensive multiuse paths on the southside.

The Gilded-Age mansions are enormous. Also fascinating. They're a reminder that when we don't work together we're doomed to repeat this age.

Someday a garden like this would be awesome. For pizza. Specifically. A pizza garden. Maybe a margarita plant too.

Do not feed the plague-rats.

I'm only here for a close friend's wedding. I lucked out months ago and landed a campsite right across from the venue hosted at one of the above mansions.

A shirt I wanted but wasn't in goonsized.

Since we're basically set up to take a tour of central nevada, we've only touched off this part of the state roughly a decade ago with rovers and jeeps. It was usually a long weekend and maybe a week at most to see what's around. With starlink, we can take as long as we want. Well. So long as the weather holds out.

A random water crossing. Roughly axle deep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6NBYitJuWg

Our site for the weekend is in the back of this alleyway.

The road continues on but its not really passable for the rig. Nor is there really much to see.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Your Beaumont visit from last page, I was thinking "oh, I saw a youtube where someone visited a mine in that area" and then you ended up there, cool. Also, Tahoe looks amazing. There's so many good things in Northern California away from the bustle.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

cursedshitbox posted:

A shirt I wanted but wasn't in goonsized.

Ha! This shirt is awesome and I would absolutely buy it for my wife (diagnosed celiac). Would she wear it? Maybe while camping. Your photos and updates never disappoint and the meals you manage to cook are seriously impressive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Your Beaumont visit from last page, I was thinking "oh, I saw a youtube where someone visited a mine in that area" and then you ended up there, cool. Also, Tahoe looks amazing. There's so many good things in Northern California away from the bustle.

395 is like the hidden gem of the state. None of my coastal buddies really ever frequent the place. I love it out there. I'm a sucker for mountains, desert, and mining remnants. Tahoe is awesome. I hardly ever spend any time there sadly.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Your photos and updates never disappoint and the meals you manage to cook are seriously impressive.

Goons gotta eat much to the detriment of my ever shrinking pants. We knew from the beginning that we wanted to cook. And to cook well. Learning from the lack of kitchen the Gillig had and the cramped galley the GM bus had, this one is significantly better to cook with. For the next generation I'd make changes still, but I'd definitely keep an oven around. Being able to prepare a meal from raw basic ingredient doesn't just extend our run times in the wilderness, it's also healthier.

I know with The Bean it has a very capable galley for its footprint. maybe should do a recipes for glamping thread at some point?

Fixer upper. One owner. More than any of us wants to afford.

There wasn't a lot around. However there is some shafts and adits nearby.

Find a spot, pull the brake, chock the wheels so it won't roll, etc.

There's a waterfall behind the rig. Best to not be here during the monsoon season.

Something that isn't left behind is equipment. Even the rails are taken out. But here, not this time.

Climbing the hill next to us, a view of the valley.

Random rocks from the tailings. Lots of rust.

??? I've seen this a few times now. I am unsure what it is.

More rails. probably the discard/dump. There's a switch right outside of view, but has been dismantled.

The rails lead to where we're parked more or less. It's built on old tailings.

The view towards the switch.

I found the missing rail to the switch and placed it back in its spot.

Slowly collapsing shaft. With material removed above it. It's fairly stable.

The waterfall behind, this is ontop of the mountain, facing in the direction the waterfall goes.

The road in the bottom right goes nearby to the cabin in the first photo. It's a mountain over from where the vehicle is parked.

In another adit

The deeper we hike, the more interesting the rock becomes.

Random airtank left behind.

And the haulage.

Water seeping in by the haulage.

And can't go any deeper. It is flooded.

The windshield washer pump on the truck is flaking out. Its this crappy ford connector. Jamming a rock in beside the connector fixed the problem till another day.

The weather has changed fast and drastically. It's just past mid October. Bringing the furnace back online results in the blower squealing like a banshee. It's pretty rude when I'm trying to sleep in later than 5am.
These things were originally designed in the 70s and not changed since. The motor is placed square in the middle and the entire sheetmetal box of hate is built around it.

Turns out the bearings aren't serviceable. I can get the motor new, but there's two plastic blower wheels. Gonna need those too because we all know how this goes. Maybe it'll solve itself if it gets cold enough.

Back together. Note that in the way this is designed the little plastic self tappers are hard-mode. Drop one and it goes into the abyss forever. It can't be reached shy of taking the furnace out of the vehicle.

ritos'. A staple of mine.

Winters in central/northern Nevada are pretty unpredictable and can change fast. The ol' Donner party ended in tragedy because of it. There's a front moving in with a blizzard warning and we're in a spot that if it hits, we're stuck here for potentially weeks. That's outside of our risk limits.
Backing out to the main road and heading to civilization.

This person gets it. F450 pickup. Not quite enough payload for a 1165 but it'll do for most slide ins with less than 3 slide outs.

KOA in Ely, NV. If it's gonna snow several inches, might as well have full hookups.

At the same time we're faced with renting another car to run errands. So far its been about once a month and every time costs about a thousand bucks. Yeah screw this, it's time to n+1 it where n is the number of rolling engineswaps already running.

Ok so what do we want? more Rovers? Diesel benzes? Wtf a not-running 190D is 8k. A brick Bronco? Those are like 20 grand now. OG International Scout? Another Wrangler TJ? A Jeep Cherokee XJ? Oh god even those are 10 grand now what the fuuuuck. A CJ5 running an om617? oh this is cool. Oh god this fuckers gonna be a nightmare to baseline.

No, all of this stuff is too old and trying to dig it out of maintenance debt without a shop would put Sisyphus to shame. A modern ish pedestrian JK? No wait, the 4 door holds more people, and tows an extra 1500lb. With a regular cab bench seat truck, that's the ticket. No Chrysler automatics, manual only. No 3.8 pushrod bullshit from the 80s, no early 3.6L Pentastar with a half dozen problems. We bought a jeep. Sight unseen. One owner, from PA through Carvana. We pick it up in ehhhh 3 weeks almost a thousand miles away from the KOA. We're gonna be snowed out for a week then its h a u l the mail with this ancient truck down to Escondido to pick the vehicle up. Almost full circle in 3 months. I'm sure the truck is up for this. This is fine.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I can feel the impending doom with that last paragraph as the feeling grows more and more.

And I now dread that carvana sells you a loving travesty with massive power train issues because they were buying cars solely on bluebook value and never doing any inspections in things. Made worse because it's a jeep and I'm expecting Chrysler level competence where the engine falls out when you close the hood.