Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

actionjackson posted:

well good to know if you are a medical resident, but that's certainly not me, nor most people eligible for this housing (basically all employees, outside of certain faculty)

Yeah, everyone here who needs housing knows about this and no one who can make changes knows (or cares if they do). You'd be doing us a small service by taking an interview and laughing at them for how bad the salary is relative to cost of living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reposting this from another thread because it's pretty

i say swears online posted:

i discovered san antonio de las alazanas in 2016 and when i visited last summer a bunch of people had built neat new houses. it's definitely my gently caress you money move

the pines get huge and there are even tiny stands of aspen, about as far south as they get, mostly above 9000ft or so

edit i took this in 2016, those slopes are being developed now and i want in

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

Yeah, everyone here who needs housing knows about this and no one who can make changes knows (or cares if they do). You'd be doing us a small service by taking an interview and laughing at them for how bad the salary is relative to cost of living.

well this is a remote job, so it's not really an issue. i am curious to see what kind of pay scaling they do based on region (they have one for stanford, then west, central, south, east)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

well this is a remote job, so it's not really an issue. i am curious to see what kind of pay scaling they do based on region (they have one for stanford, then west, central, south, east)

would be kinda funny if it was possible to set up a PO box in a higher COL area and then have it fowarded

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

MickeyFinn posted:

oh i was going to ask, doesn't Stanford pretty much have all the leverage here? Given all their ~prestige~ it's not like they have a shortage of interested students. And for the grad students, having a degree from Stanford is a big plus. I'm guessing that's why Stanford has no incentive to do anything.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's also another way to make sure people who have a degree from Stanford, and thus preferential hiring for a lot of jobs, are The Right Kind of People from Good Families.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

oh i was going to ask, doesn't Stanford pretty much have all the leverage here? Given all their ~prestige~ it's not like they have a shortage of interested students. And for the grad students, having a degree from Stanford is a big plus. I'm guessing that's why Stanford has no incentive to do anything.

They certainly seem to think this is true. But plenty of Stanford’s money comes from charging overhead on grants to professors and scientists. Those overhead rates get negotiated with whoever is funding the grants, but Stanford sets what to pay grad students (and charges them rent, too). At the moment, professors are starting to run into a problem that grad pay + overhead > grant money, so they can’t afford to hire graduate students without some other source of money. Sooner or later Stanford itself is going to need a housing crash.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wow that seems like a pretty low price

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/125-N-Mary-Ave-SPACE-114-Sunnyvale-CA-94086/153178023_zpid/

quote:

This is a manufactured home on leased land (not real estate); the land lease is $1,850 per month

nm

MickeyFinn posted:

They certainly seem to think this is true. But plenty of Stanford’s money comes from charging overhead on grants to professors and scientists. Those overhead rates get negotiated with whoever is funding the grants, but Stanford sets what to pay grad students (and charges them rent, too). At the moment, professors are starting to run into a problem that grad pay + overhead > grant money, so they can’t afford to hire graduate students without some other source of money. Sooner or later Stanford itself is going to need a housing crash.

how much money do you think stanford is getting for leasing some of their land for homes?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

actionjackson posted:

how much money do you think stanford is getting for leasing some of their land for homes?

On page 8 they list their revenue sources. I suspect money from landlording is in within "Investment income."

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

actionjackson posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/125-N-Mary-Ave-SPACE-114-Sunnyvale-CA-94086/153178023_zpid/

nm

those homes are all over Palm Springs area. my grandparents moved there in the 90s and lived in a gated 55+ community and their house was like that. seemed ok for what they wanted. Zillow has it at 126k. what a bargain.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Mar 3, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

actionjackson posted:

nm

Lmao at the value estimate history

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the used trailers in Florida used to go for like 5-20K. then folks started selling them as if they were houses with an owned lot. one can get a brand new double wide for 50-100k.

in some cases in these trailer parks the value of the home is the desirability of the lot, which the seller does not own .

it’s goddamn crazy.

Apr 7, 2003

sonatinas posted:

those homes are all over Palm Springs area. my grandparents moved there in the 90s and lived in a gated 55+ community and their house was like that. seemed ok for what they wanted. Zillow has it at 126k. what a bargain.

Yeah, Florida retirement communities are full of places like these and there’s nothing wrong with them

The extremely lovely financial arrangements growing up around them, not so good

Apr 7, 2003

According to what I just read the cost of a new double wide is up 65% in California Jan 2019 - dec 2021. What a country

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah I thought 40-60 but it’s 50-100 it’s a pretty steep increase.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

sonatinas posted:

All the downsides of owning a depreciating and near-immovable asset and paying rent on someone else’s appreciating land.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

All the downsides of owning a depreciating and near-immovable asset and paying rent on someone else’s appreciating land.

yeah that's the dream for a landlord. i hope no one buys it.

Apr 7, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah I thought 40-60 but it’s 50-100 it’s a pretty steep increase.

The site I just checked listed prices for california and it was like $110k - 170k

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that’s really really high for basic double wides, that’s like getting into luxury / green stuff last time I checked up here in WA. we had been toying with buying land and plopping down a modular if we hadn’t managed to buy a house

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!

guy with only $10 million dreaming about being able to afford a home in Atherton someday

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Silicon valley has, on an order of magnitude, more superfund sites concentrated in one area of the country than anywhere else. Semiconductor manufacturers would just dump toxic chip sludge onto the ground and now all these million dollar houses and billion dollar tech offices sit upon land that's leaking vaporous carcinogens through the ground lmao

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/09/silicon-valley-full-superfund-sites/598531/

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a normal person talking normally about housing

https://twitter.com/JediNabber/status/1631462461311270912

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

theyre right

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

in some cases in these trailer parks the value of the home is the desirability of the lot, which the seller does not own .

Yeah, but they're essentially squatting on that land, so you're bribing them to move off the lot.

I don't think it's just a Florida thing necessarily, it occurs anywhere that trailer parks might attract more than the poorest buyers. There's a trailer park on the main commercial drag in my city and buying a house there will absolutely cost you a lot more than the cost of a new double-wide, but the cheapest non-manufactured homes here will cost you a minimum of $300k for something that's probably perilously close to being a teardown.

When my friend's mom sold her house in that lot back in 2018 she sold it to a couple in their thirties that almost certainly had more than $100k combined income.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

it occurs anywhere that trailer parks might attract more than the poorest buyers.

it’s this part. once you get richer folks… boom the prices explode. there were some generational expectations involved too, mostly who lived through the depression related vs who didn’t.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

what in affectation

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

why is it impossible for social housing to have universality, affordability, and quality?

if it’s public/social housing then it’s literally just a question of funding based on desired levels of service

I am arguing with a retweet of a tiktok

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The slums of the future are not going to be big towers, those were the slums of the past. The American slums of the future are leaky tract houses on quarter acre lots an hour out of town.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a whole quarter acre?? sign me up

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Beached Whale posted:

Silicon valley has, on an order of magnitude, more superfund sites concentrated in one area of the country than anywhere else. Semiconductor manufacturers would just dump toxic chip sludge onto the ground and now all these million dollar houses and billion dollar tech offices sit upon land that's leaking vaporous carcinogens through the ground lmao

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/09/silicon-valley-full-superfund-sites/598531/

That's not surprising. Former industrial land in the city is built over with housing, often without remediation. All prime residential real estate was already built on decades ago. I researched that stuff while shopping for a house, and basically anything built in the last 10 years in my city was on undesirable land (flooding, next to a highway, soil 20% asbestos by weight, etc).

Apr 7, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

The slums of the future are not going to be big towers, those were the slums of the past. The American slums of the future are leaky tract houses on quarter acre lots an hour out of town.

In much of the city here, the minimum lot size to build new construction post dates existing construction on smaller than minimum lots. So in some neighborhoods, if a house is torn down, nothing can be built on the newly vacant lot until an adjacent lot is also cleared. Very good and smart zoning.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

oof that’s rough to apply current zoning to already existing plats that were already valid. we aren’t even that crazy out here.

Apr 7, 2003

Most of the city's neighborhoods were separate boroughs that were annexed into the city at some point until the state passed a law banning annexation in "second class cities" (just this one) in 1907, so the city's zoning laws just got applied over top of what was already there.

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Paradoxish posted:

When my friend's mom sold her house in that lot back in 2018 she sold it to a couple in their thirties that almost certainly had more than $100k combined income.

so like two teachers? lol

Apr 7, 2003

My sister-in-law is a mid-career primary school teacher making $42K, teachers get hosed pretty bad in most of the country.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My sister-in-law is a mid-career primary school teacher making $42K, teachers get hosed pretty bad in most of the country.

When I started teaching in Texas around 10 years ago I made $38k my first year and it was only that high because I was a science teacher. A first year English teacher would have made $34k. It was a rural district so I was actually commuting out to the countryside. Urban districts are higher. I think this year specifically a lot of them are around $50-55K starting. They don’t pay poo poo for experience though. A teacher with 30+ years of experience would make $60K. Even at $60K you can’t actually afford a house in the district that is paying you that much. It also only that high because people are leaving teaching in droves. Also, in Texas it is illegal for a school district to negotiate with a teacher’s union. So you could potentially have a teacher couple making a combined $100k a year (before taxes of course, and insurance. Our family insurance was several hundred a month and didn’t cover jack poo poo) but it still sucks. Even when you make a little money everything was insanely expensive. Also teaching loving sucks. I drank a bottle of wine nearly every night my first year. I honestly don’t think you could pay me to go back as it is.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I mean, you can do decently as a public school teacher, in the most expensive city in the country, if you have a masters degree and many years of experience. And if we cherry pick the very top of the salary scale and sort descending. $100k+ for working 9 months of the year with presumably a pension for retirement sounds pretty good. Personally I believe that public servants should be well paid and rewarded, especially as society crumbles and the state takes on more responsibility of raising children via school. If your district is not moneyed then have fun I guess. I could not do those jobs even if they paid millions so I support teachers/librarians/food service workers/drivers/etc.

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/search/?a=school-districts%2Fsan-francisco%2Fsan-francisco-unified&q=librarian&y=2020&s=-gross

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

why is that guy talking like elizabeth holmes?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pulcinella posted:

Also, in Texas it is illegal for a school district to negotiate with a teacher’s union.

So, uh, what do teachers' unions actually do there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

So, uh, what do teachers' unions actually do there?

discounted costco memberships

https://www.atpe.org/Join-ATPE/Member-Discounts