Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Progression" shouldn't mean that you start the game off way, way below how powerful the plot seems to peg you at.

Like, if you start the game as a super soldier you shouldn't be level 1. Maybe level 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah JC Denton started off as a super advanced cybersoldier who sucks rear end at literally everything, it is pretty funny

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah JC Denton started off as a super advanced cybersoldier who sucks rear end at literally everything, it is pretty funny

it's a fine example of how much of a dumb sleepwalked-into mechanic rpg mechanics are, just because number go up makes people feel good psychologically

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Deus Ex's progression is fun and interesting, and HZD's isn't. :shrug:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Deus Ex has a whole lot going for it but fun combat isn't one of them, its total garbage. HZD has bad rpg progression but at least its really fun to fight the robots. They flubbed the sequel though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

QuarkJets posted:

The entire god of war series is kind of meh

yeah, i never liked the series in general but i liked the new one because it at least sorta explored kraitos better then "hurr me kill and gently caress because me self hating brute"

Orange Cat posted:

Ragnarok feels super forced. The dialogue doesn’t continue until you beat the next linear encounter (painfully so, like mid conversation exchanges), the “partner swapping” breaks the immersion in the narrative, and the maps are overly confusing … for what reason? And what the gently caress with the southern drawl dwarf?

yeah, i get what they are trying to do, but again, it feels like the last chapter in a trilogy with two games and it never nails the "dad and boy loving around and growing sorta".

Vandar posted:

Ubisoft games are fun as long as you aren't playing every single yearly entry in a series.

I just finished Far Cry 5 a couple weeks ago and except for the ending and a couple awful flying missions I had a complete blast with it.

i liked 6 more but yeah. ubisoft games are fun and can be interesting, just dont play them all in a row and branch out and etc. i love the AC games, they are my favorite series because i love dumb historical fight times and dont give a gently caress about the modern stuff and just view the games as a anthology with some threads connecting them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Panzeh posted:

it's a fine example of how much of a dumb sleepwalked-into mechanic rpg mechanics are, just because number go up makes people feel good psychologically

It's a problem tabletop D&D has, because it feels really unclear to me why my guy can't do poo poo despite being a veteran or fully fledged wizard with a band of people who are paid to do adventurer poo poo. The alternative is that you *do* start as just some guy, but that makes player motivation difficult to establish.

Anyway, I liked the old God of War games in a mindless action game make numbers big kind of way, and the one from a few years ago was good, but not enough to get me interested in Ragnarok (although there was one interesting hook teased in the ending), but lol that Sony are stuck with one of their flagship characters looking like some guy from Godsmack because they chased that 2004 zeitgeist too hard.

Kratos is one Ed Hardy jeans, wallet chain and BC Rich guitar looking motherfucker.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 3, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Edit/post mistake

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Disco Pope posted:

It's a problem tabletop D&D has, because it feels really unclear to me why my guy can't do poo poo despite being a veteran or fully fledged wizard with a band of people who are paid to do adventurer poo poo. The alternative is that you *do* start as just some guy, but that makes player motivation difficult to establish.

This is why you should always start DnD at level 2 at least. So that a goblin can't oneshot you while you have a 50% chance to hit.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Panzeh posted:

That's literally the purpose of entertainment media

What are you proposing to take place of feeling good while entertaining yourself

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Disco Pope posted:

D&D 4e is great and part of it is because you start at level one as an established adventure guy with a wide variety of tools and options at your disposal. You feel like a hero right from the start and don’t have to wait around for your character to level up and suddenly feel useful and good.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's literally the purpose of entertainment media

What are you proposing to take place of feeling good while entertaining yourself

All media should be state run and only exist to express the virtues of the mother/fatherland.

Glory to Arstotzka!

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

5e puts so much padding between the player character and the possibility of death that I think it's an achievement if you get oneshot by a goblin at level 1. It might also mean your DM hates you because they have the ability to just say that didn't happen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dark Souls games suck because you don't start off with your weapon upgraded and your stats boosted.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waltzing Along posted:

Dark Souls games suck because you don't start off with your weapon upgraded and your stats boosted.

It would be dumb if you were a legendary hero renowned for your monster slaying abilities and you start the game naked, level 1, and your only weapon is a broken stick. Dark Souls has you start out as a prisoner which is way better

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Because Dark Souls are the best RPGs to be released in the last 15 years.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Yep. There was a 1st edition AD&D module called Treasure Hunt where the party starts as level 0 commoners who've escaped from a shipwrecked slave galley and during the course of the adventure advance to level 1 and pick a class. They're allowed to choose whatever they want but the DM is supposed to keep track of what they do and suggest an appropriate class. Like at one point they come across a shrine that's fallen into ruin and spend the night there, and if anyone cleans up the statue of the goddess or leaves an offering or whatever to show respect then hey, that character might have clerical leanings.

It was a neat concept but in practice a bunch of characters with 3 and 4 hit points defending themselves with planks from the shipwreck and virtually no abilities who are at risk of dying from exposure because they're underfed, over-worked, and half-naked wasn't exactly compelling gameplay. It just doesn't really work.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yep. There was a 1st edition AD&D module called Treasure Hunt where the party starts as level 0 commoners who've escaped from a shipwrecked slave galley and during the course of the adventure advance to level 1 and pick a class. They're allowed to choose whatever they want but the DM is supposed to keep track of what they do and suggest an appropriate class. Like at one point they come across a shrine that's fallen into ruin and spend the night there, and if anyone cleans up the statue of the goddess or leaves an offering or whatever to show respect then hey, that character might have clerical leanings.

It was a neat concept but in practice a bunch of characters with 3 and 4 hit points defending themselves with planks from the shipwreck and virtually no abilities who are at risk of dying from exposure because they're underfed, over-worked, and half-naked wasn't exactly compelling gameplay. It just doesn't really work.

It does give a neat idea for justifying starting at level 1. Where reaching level 1 from 0 is the work of a human lifespan, and going beyond that to levels 2-100 is destiny.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't think that's an inherently flawed idea, it just sounds like the game mechanics weren't there to properly support it.

Regarding Deus Ex, starting as a clumsy moron and slowly working your way toward competency and eventually becoming a death machine was a lot of fun. The only problem was that it hilariously clashed with the game's narrative.

The Witcher has this problem too, except The Witcher isn't fun.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They could have fixed Deus Ex's narrative conflicting with the gameplay with a story beat about Denton coming to grips with the augs in his body. An accident during training caused some kind of neural or physical damage that repair over time blah blah, not dissimilar to how some gameplay mechanics were rolled out in Human Revolution. They just didn't have time to put anything together because Deus Ex's dev cycle was a rush job and all the skills and augs stuff was being hosed with till the last minute.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

I don't think that's an inherently flawed idea, it just sounds like the game mechanics weren't there to properly support it.

Dungeons and Dragons has a long, proud history people breaking out sledgehammers to fit square peg game concepts (ie, anything that isn't derivative high fantasy) into their round holes.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Man, what the hell. I'm on Route C in Nier Automata, specifically the part with the hacking tower dungeon. I go all the way through it, do all the little shoot em up minigames which are... tedious but fine I guess, then I get to the end only to get one shot by the boss. For whatever reason they didn't put a checkpoint at the start of this boss and it sent me right back to the start of the chapter to do the dungeon and all the stupid minigames all over again.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Beartaco posted:

Man, what the hell. I'm on Route C in Nier Automata, specifically the part with the hacking tower dungeon. I go all the way through it, do all the little shoot em up minigames which are... tedious but fine I guess, then I get to the end only to get one shot by the boss. For whatever reason they didn't put a checkpoint at the start of this boss and it sent me right back to the start of the chapter to do the dungeon and all the stupid minigames all over again.

but the guy who made it is wearing a mask

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
the AI president VC game banter is already a dead horse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Beartaco posted:

It's a bad game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

This is why you should always start DnD at level 2 at least. So that a goblin can't oneshot you while you have a 50% chance to hit.

hp at 1st level == (con + hit die) house rule motherfucker!!!

Manager Hoyden posted:

well you could always do the popular indie thing and make the player feel like a war criminal for entertaining themselves instead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
war criminal games own

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
games where you play as a war criminal do own. games where you just kind of play them, and then it accuses you of having participated in a metaphor for war crimes about 80% of the way through, do not

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
I wish someone would make games like how I remember them. :mad:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Sure thing let me just add a couple things. Loot boxes, dailies, battlepasses, oh and if we aren't super successful we will be closing the servers in like 6 months.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

DrPossum posted:

Square Enix just released a jrpg that's just like how you remember them called octopath traveler 2

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I’ve been really enjoying midnight suns, wish there was less of the “relationship building” and story stuff, but at least it lets you skip cutscenes. I never played xcom games before, but this is supposedly similar.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

fridge corn posted:

Square Enix just released a jrpg that's just like how you remember them called octopath traveler 2

Bravely Default and Octopath absolutely kick rear end at sucking poo poo. They're pure mires of looking "old-school" but being half-baked trash with no direction or imagination.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

George posted:

Bravely Default and Octopath absolutely kick rear end at sucking poo poo. They're pure mires of looking "old-school" but being half-baked trash with no direction or imagination.

Ain't that the truth.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

George posted:

Idk I've never played either of those games but Octopath Traveler 2 is real fucken good

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Not gonna lie I don’t like or respect the games but I love titles like “Octopath Traveler” “Bravely Default” and “Triangle Strategy”. Had they not had such cool names I wouldn’t have looked at them long enough to go “eww it’s a standard jrpg, no thanks”. Titles like that are so much better than generic tripe like “Heroes of Legends: Revelations” or “Fighters of Battles: Awakening”.
In fact let’s just ban all the following words after semi-colons:
-Legends
-Awakening
-Revelation
-Judgement
-Rebirth
-Origins
I’d put more but you get the idea.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

octopath traveller was announced as a working title, but it stuck they ended up just releasing it as that

and then exactly the same thing happened again with triangle strategy

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

galagazombie posted:

Not gonna lie I don’t like or respect the games but I love titles like “Octopath Traveler” “Bravely Default” and “Triangle Strategy”. Had they not had such cool names I wouldn’t have looked at them long enough to go “eww it’s a standard jrpg, no thanks”. Titles like that are so much better than generic tripe like “Heroes of Legends: Revelations” or “Fighters of Battles: Awakening”.
In fact let’s just ban all the following words after semi-colons:
-Legends
-Awakening
-Revelation
-Judgement
-Rebirth
-Origins
I’d put more but you get the idea.

Assassin's Creed falls over with a bunch of daggers in its back

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's not the names, it's the fact that they suck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Fur20 posted:

games where you play as a war criminal do own. games where you just kind of play them, and then it accuses you of having participated in a metaphor for war crimes about 80% of the way through, do not

there's always gonna be stupid poo poo like that though. There are people who legit think that you're a fascist if you think the Empire in Star Wars in cool or if you play the Germans in a World War II video game.

We should destroy them to the last man and woman so we don't have to listen to their stupid bullshit anymore.