Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

I kinda love how characters keep saying "I'm just like you, Reiner." as shorthand for "Oh boy, do I loving suck or what?"

Haha yeah, literally every character is like "I'm a piece of poo poo now, just like you" or "I had to stop myself from killing you every day you rear end in a top hat" or "how will you ever forgive yourself for being a raging shitstain?" whil Reiner just stares at the floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Misread this as an Attack on Titan coloring book at first and recoiled.

Saw one of those at Wal-mart the other day.

edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Attack-Titan-Adult-Coloring-Book/dp/163236414X

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

drat that was sick. See you all for Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 3 Part 2 Part 1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

drat that was sick. See you all for Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 3 Part 2 Part 1

And it will be delayed until next year.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I don't collect these but when these went up for pre order months ago I had to snag one and it came last week. Finally set her up today, feels right

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It was so long to go without hearing Eren's inner voice, but I liked the through line that Eren is unwilling to sacrifice the people of Paradis for the rest of the world because the rest of the world isn't the paradise he imagined but just another kind of fascist and evil, and that the people of the world know they didn't make a world worth the leap of faith to save.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Apparently Crunchyroll did some anime awards and Attack on Titan won a bunch of stuff including

Best Drama
Best Main Character (Eren)
Best Japanese VA (Yuki Kaji as Eren)
Best Opening (The Rumbling)
Best Song (The Rumbling)
Best Score

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Literally gasped at seeing Erwin again. Also I hope the fact that children brutally die convinces people watching that guys the rumbling is not a good thing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wonder if God Emperor of Dune had similar controversies when it came out

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I’m confused, so is there one more special like this and that’s the end?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That’s the current claim. I now believe they will continue splitting into infinitesimally smaller parts as we approach the end, never quite reaching it.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Literally gasped at seeing Erwin again. Also I hope the fact that children brutally die convinces people watching that guys the rumbling is not a good thing

They already know that kids are going to die when an event like the rumbling happens. They don't care.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

DamnGlitch posted:

That’s the current claim. I now believe they will continue splitting into infinitesimally smaller parts as we approach the end, never quite reaching it.

Asymptotic Titan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Queering Wheel posted:

They already know that kids are going to die when an event like the rumbling happens. They don't care.

There's knowing and there's experiencing. Some people still don't care, but being reminded of the personal cost sometimes shakes people out of a theoretical understanding to actually confront what the consequences would be of the actions they endorse.

You see it with Jean and Reiner in the context of the show. They'll both talk about horrible things being necessary, but when they actually see the consequences, Jean backs down and Reiner breaks down.

(Meanwhile, Armin keeps moving forward. It's a fun thing about Jean and Armin's friendship that Jean is the cynic... but he does the right thing in the clutch, even hesitating when people have guns aimed at his head because he doesn't want to hurt people. Meanwhile, Armin is the nice guy always talking about diplomacy, but he'll set off really morally compromised plans without blinking, even if he feels guilty later. They understand each other in a way most people in the cast don't.)

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It definitely feels like an intentional choice to have the children die first in the rumbling to immediately put the breaks on people who spent the last year going "I can't wait to see the rumbling, it is going to be so awesome."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Steve Yun posted:

Asymptotic Titan

wasn't that Genndy Tartakovsky's show

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah I mean they are trying very hard and idiots are either “yea that’s a good thing what happened” or “yes, that’s why the show is fash and you should be put on a list“

Incredibly frustrating

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

It definitely feels like an intentional choice to have the children die first in the rumbling to immediately put the breaks on people who spent the last year going "I can't wait to see the rumbling, it is going to be so awesome."

I mean, it does inspire awe. The squished children, the burned bodies, the suicide? (Loved that shot) It's a full on vision of a living hell, and that inspires fear and a terrible wonder.

It's just not the kind of awesome that's fun.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I think the rumbling is a metaphor for climate change I do not actually think this

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ugh, can't believe how pro-genocide this show is :rolleyes:

I like that Levi pretty much seems to be in on it all just to settle his grudge match with Zeke

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Yawgmoft posted:

? It's a television show. Nobody is claiming it would be awesome if it were to happen in real life. We want to see something crazy happen on tv.

What a bizarre thing to shame people for lol

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 5, 2023

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also the intentional choice to have Ramzi and Halil die first was made like, uh, three years ago?

Also, they didn't die first, the allied fleet did. Or if you wanna be a real pedant, people on Paradis that got crushed by falling rubble.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

? It's a television show. Nobody is claiming it would be awesome if it were to happen in real life. We want to see something crazy happen on tv.

What a bizarre thing to shame people for lol

I think it's pretty obvious what I am saying and you would have to be extremely obtuse to take personal offense to it.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 5, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Nobody is claiming it would be awesome if it were to happen in real life.

People literally do claim this. Have you been to the internet before?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hmm

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder if God Emperor of Dune had similar controversies when it came out

Dune and its sequels are still subject to endless debate, especially as new folks get into them on account of the new movies. But generally the discourse has settled on "you really should not be idolizing these characters." I've read that Dune Messiah was controversial (albeit in a smaller circle than this anime) upon its initial release, since it decides to show its hand and drops the pretense of Paul being a Good Guy.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Queering Wheel posted:

Yes but there’s “eh casualties are war” and then there’s “watch this character tearfully apologize to a young child who gets graphically squished to death by the main character who knows he’s about to do it”

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

it's the final countdown :pray:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

hoy poo poo, the foreshadowing in this show is insane

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When's the first half of that image from?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

When's the first half of that image from?

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

just gotta finish eating and I'll post a picture of my toast, it's got eren punching armin on it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan_Shore posted:

hoy poo poo, the foreshadowing in this show is insane
That's some "Mary on a tortilla" poo poo :mad:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

That's some "Mary on a tortilla" poo poo :mad:

I dunno, it's pretty clear in that full image, plus that scene happens when Eren literally sees everything he's going to do in the future. Makes thematic sense

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean that design was clearly chosen for a reason. In real life that would be a just a coincidence but in a story where we already know the Author likes to foreshadow things?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

christmas boots posted:

I mean that design was clearly chosen for a reason. In real life that would be a just a coincidence but in a story where we already know the Author likes to foreshadow things?

Here's the medal in the manga.

So they definitely made it more detailed in the anime. The season 3 finale, "The Other Side of the Wall" aired in July 2019. The first chapter with the Founding Titan, "Island Devils", was released in November 2019.

So WIT might have gotten a heads-up about the Founding Titan's design, I don't think that's unprecedented at all. It may also just be a coincidence.

Given the design of the Founding Titan is very clearly a puppet on strings, the theme of Eren being dragged forward by a fate he can't change, and that it all started when he kissed Historia's hand, I don't think it's crazy to say that the design was purposeful. The medal being a physical version of the metaphorical strings that are about to be tied to Eren doesn't sound all that out there to me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Just went back to the episode. The necklace itself is the same, the bit they added was on the front of her dress

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'd say the difference between the manga and the anime is large enough to say it's intentionally evocative of Eren's Founding Titan form.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Visually it's just a little too close and thematically, it just fits together a little too well for me to think it's a coincidence. I'd say WIT somehow knew what the Founding Titan was gonna look like, or Isayama got the idea for it and just passed them an updated drawing for Historia's little cape thing without saying exactly what the significance was.

Like, it's literally Eren looking at the exact shape of the strings that are about to ensnare him. It's just a little too fitting to not be on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, it does inspire awe. The squished children, the burned bodies, the suicide? (Loved that shot) It's a full on vision of a living hell, and that inspires fear and a terrible wonder.

It's just not the kind of awesome that's fun.
Yeah all the rumbling scenes were awesome in that sense. Especially the aftermath scenes with just that gate standing surrounded by a completely trampled landscape. Awesome and horrifying.

Amazing part 1, it was everything I hoped it would be.