Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Takes No Damage posted:

It is a lot weaker than other games like DS or Nioh, but you can also cast it multiple times in every fight forever as long as you get a few deflects first. I get the feeling you're meant to work it into your regular attacks much more frequently than in games with item/MP based magics.

I just don't love how you gotta alternate between trigger/RB to enable abilities. Wish they kept it like Nioh with all the secondary stuff on the dpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Phoix posted:

I think this might be the most annoying boss I've ever fought in a videogame holy poo poo

Guess you just aren't that gui

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Unlucky7 posted:

When did the Travel option become available? If it wasn't for the village pit stop at the start of part 3 I would have never noticed it and the side quests.

Given how relatively easy it is to spirit break bosses it definitely feels like boss battles are either feast or famine, with it being a blowout in either direction.

As soon as you make it to the bonfire at the start of the second mission.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am posting right now because i was resting at a battle flag and my game just crashed lol

I had one CTD, not at a battle flag but after I killed some mobs, picked up some new equipment and went to equip it. I had CTD issues with Nioh 2 actually, which is funny because since then I've ship-of-theseus'd my computer and here we are with new parts and a new game and it's the same old problem.

It actually used to be super annoying since I played nioh 2 coop with a friend, and any time I crashed we'd basically have to redo the whole mission all over again. They're faster when you know where you're going but some of them can be pretty long. :(

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Wish there was more detail on things in tool tips.

Like what does it mean that I can "increase enemies' Stone ailment accumulation?"

I don't know what "Stone ailment" even is.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The decision to only enable coop after the first boss is defeated is something Dark Souls 3 also did; it was very questionable back then and it's still very questionable now lol

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i dont think its a particularly questionable design decision to not let you play co-op until you have completed the tutorial

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

Wish there was more detail on things in tool tips.

Like what does it mean that I can "increase enemies' Stone ailment accumulation?"

I don't know what "Stone ailment" even is.

open up your menu and then go to Documents (the unfurling scroll icon), and click on Effect Icons to browse through all the effects in the game that you've seen and what they do

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I cannot wait to see the stupid meme builds that eventually come up, might take until the DLC but I fully expect as usual there's going to be some real stupid things

Still annoyed unarmed can't deflect, I guess it makes sense but it would have been way more fun to just only deflect and use magic.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Okay, so I got my rear end handed to me up down and sideways by the first boss. I've played Sekiro and had few issues with deflecting (stopped at owldad, but I should hope that the first boss of this game isn't as difficult as owldad). I've gotten decent at parrying in the other Souls games. I've also gotten okay at doing the deflects in Nioh 2.

What the gently caress am I missing about the timing? There's some sort of fundamental issue that I'm running into that I just can't figure out. I did win, and on that winning run I did manage to deflect most things, but I occasionally got caught in combos and just mauled for most of my health.

I've tried being hyper-aggressive, I've tried being more passive (since sometimes you can't interrupt your attacks and other times you can), I've tried heavier armor, lighter armor, and I tried the sword and dual blades, so my weapon was plenty fast for the enemy.

Something isn't clicking and I'm not sure what it is.

Edit: I'm only very rarely using martial arts, and the only magic I'm using is buff spells. I'm not running out of yellow gauge unless I screw up and buff on empty and then get punched in the face, and I definitely deserve that for sloppy play on my part. It's the timing that's getting me, as far as I can tell.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Okay, so I got my rear end handed to me up down and sideways by the first boss. I've played Sekiro and had few issues with deflecting (stopped at owldad, but I should hope that the first boss of this game isn't as difficult as owldad). I've gotten decent at parrying in the other Souls games. I've also gotten okay at doing the deflects in Nioh 2.

What the gently caress am I missing about the timing? There's some sort of fundamental issue that I'm running into that I just can't figure out. I did win, and on that winning run I did manage to deflect most things, but I occasionally got caught in combos and just mauled for most of my health.

I've tried being hyper-aggressive, I've tried being more passive (since sometimes you can't interrupt your attacks and other times you can), I've tried heavier armor, lighter armor, and I tried the sword and dual blades, so my weapon was plenty fast for the enemy.

Something isn't clicking and I'm not sure what it is.

It's a combination of deflecting and using basic attacks to build enough spirit to use a heavy attack, I think people are forgetting about that part. Spirit attacks do the same amount of damage/stagger as critical deflections and they're much easier to build up. Start putting points into Earth, it'll give you an easier time parrying (wood is also good for life)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

It's a combination of deflecting and using basic attacks to build enough spirit to use a heavy attack, I think people are forgetting about that part. Spirit attacks do the same amount of damage/stagger as critical deflections and they're much easier to build up. Start putting points into Earth, it'll give you an easier time parrying (wood is also good for life)

Yeah, I'm doing the Sekiro thing - stab stab stab deflect stab stab stab heavy attack/martial art to spend blue gauge. That part is fine. It's the parrying that's screwing me up. Glad to hear about Earth stuff, I'll put points in that. I was splitting between water and wood because sword, and because water said more recovery on parrying.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, I'm doing the Sekiro thing - stab stab stab deflect stab stab stab heavy attack/martial art to spend blue gauge. That part is fine. It's the parrying that's screwing me up. Glad to hear about Earth stuff, I'll put points in that. I was splitting between water and wood because sword, and because water said more recovery on parrying.

Remember to block while you parry because if you miss the parry you'll just take chip damage unless it's something huge.

I think it's just tricky timing, takes a bit to learn. Make sure you're prioritizing FPS (obviously) so you don't lag at a terrible time and lose a parry because of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Remember to block while you parry because if you miss the parry you'll just take chip damage unless it's something huge.

I think it's just tricky timing, takes a bit to learn. Make sure you're prioritizing FPS (obviously) so you don't lag at a terrible time and lose a parry because of it.

On PS5 with FPS prioritized. Didn't realize you could deflect out of block - I'll have to try that. I will admit that that saved my rear end on many occasions in Sekiro because they were the same button and you could just hold down L1 if you weren't confident that you got the timing right.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

What the gently caress am I missing about the timing?

as far as i can tell, deflect frames come out as soon as you hit the button, meaning that you need to time the parry to as right before an attack actually hits you as possible, unlike in dark souls 2/3 where parrying has windup frames before it becomes active

other than that: make sure to avoid feathering the parry button ala sekiro, since that will only cause you to dodge incorrectly into attacks, and try to move into the incoming swing with your stick/WASD, since deflect has a short hop component to it, and it's thus entirely possible to deflect away from an attack for long enough that the hitbox impacts you right as your deflect frames end

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Dirk the Average posted:

For parrying in this game, I feel like you have to do it a little earlier than you might be used to from Sekiro. If you're missing parries a lot, try pressing the button earlier than you think you should.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Also be careful because you can't animation cancel anything and you can't parry until whatever attack you just did is done

And the stats on weapons actually matters (other than the attack ones, of course), heavier weapons generally have smaller parry windows but excellent guard stats, and you take no damage guarding if you have enough spirit

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ojetor posted:

For parrying in this game, I feel like you have to do it a little earlier than you might be used to from Sekiro. If you're missing parries a lot, try pressing the button earlier than you think you should.

Yeah this, I feel like to hit parries on basic attacks I basically have to hit the button as soon as they begin the windup. It's very fast. Dunno if it's input latency or just slow reflexes, but that's what works for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Holy poo poo what’s the code for this?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

64 bit butt-head

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

RatHat posted:

Holy poo poo what’s the code for this?

WLS-?f%LFp4iGbrQ3, apparently. Also apparently creation codes are not cross-platform, which is stupid.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ShadowMar posted:

i dont think its a particularly questionable design decision to not let you play co-op until you have completed the tutorial

As of right now, I've been waiting for three hours for my friend to finally defeat Zhang Bao so we can play together :v:

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Dirk the Average posted:

My 2 cents, be hyper aggressive in phase 1 you more or less keep him ministunned/staggered 75% of time with a sword. You should be able to get through phase 1 only using a single health pot. Phase 2 I went very passive and dried bait out his unblockable. I stayed mid range blocked/deflected his rock spikes attack and tried to not get stuck in a corner. Deflect the grab and punish with your spirit attack and go back to being a wimp. Don’t forget to use you guardian spirit as soon as you can in phase 2(triangle + X).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ugh, finally beat that first boss.

The parrying is frustrating, but I'm definitely getting more of a feel for it. Being able to hold down block and parry out of that really helps a lot. The biggest thing messing me up is hitting the deflect button multiple times in a panic, because that was always the go-to in the Nioh games to get away/around big attacks. In this, it turns a deflect into a dodge, which is Bad.

It does feel great to deflect big attacks though, like that grab attack in the second form. I'm really excited to try out more weapon types, kind of annoyed that they don't let you pick one at the start, I loved how Nioh 2 handled that.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lu bu was a loving bastard and also, ironically, the only point in the game i've had actual stuttering so far

that dude's 5 hit combo may as well be a blender, criminy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Man, Zhang Bao can eat a dick. Sure, let's make a boss who can and will teleport out of the way of your spirit attacks whenever he feels like. He wasn't even so much difficult as just supremely annoying, as half the fight just consisted of running after him or his adds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am looking forward to unlocking the teleport ability and seeing how that plays lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think the first boss is too much, too fast (that stalagmite-wave attack, good lord) but the next stage's boss crumbled like a cookie

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So I love the Souls series, never tried Nioh, and unfortunately bounced off of Sekiro, I guess I just really suck at parrying in these games. The gameplay for this looks like fun but I've been led astray before, is this worth picking up? I heard the PC port has a lot of technical issues (planning on playing it with a controller/on Steam Deck instead of KB+M if it helps). I'm downloading the demo but won't be able to play it until later.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i think the first boss is too much, too fast (that stalagmite-wave attack, good lord) but the next stage's boss crumbled like a cookie

The first boss is legit harder than quite a few of the next bosses. It's compounded by the fact that the first stage is incredibly short and easy so you can get to him before you really have any practice with the game. And then on top of that the prompt to use the divine beast is both buggy and easy to miss so you may not even notice that you should have "won" the fight already.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So I love the Souls series, never tried Nioh, and unfortunately bounced off of Sekiro, I guess I just really suck at parrying in these games. The gameplay for this looks like fun but I've been led astray before, is this worth picking up? I heard the PC port has a lot of technical issues (planning on playing it with a controller/on Steam Deck instead of KB+M if it helps). I'm downloading the demo but won't be able to play it until later.

it's been really parry-heavy from what i've played - not quite as much as sekiro but enough so that i don't think you'd have a great time with it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i feel like the stalagmite wave would be vastly more approachable if they made it much clearer in the tutorial that "deflect" is a just guard and not a parry, because 99% of people (me included) are going to see a big wall of rocks and think, "well, i'm not parrying that"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I guess coming off of SOPPFO where Jack Garland goes "oh bahamut megaflare nuking the entire room... time to parry" made me not even think twice about trying to deflect that attack lol, you are a wuxia protagonist after all

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Has anyone found a single source of damage in the game that can't be deflected? I haven't found one yet.

Even the roll you do to negate fall damage uses the deflect button. You can deflect fall damage.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i swear they used some nioh levels again

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Has anyone found a single source of damage in the game that can't be deflected? I haven't found one yet.

Even the roll you do to negate fall damage uses the deflect button. You can deflect fall damage.

I don't think you can deflect the fire patches on the ground?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lu Bu is such a tremendous rear end in a top hat, took me a few hours.

Vastly harder than any boss before him, and far harder than the next three bosses I've faced.

He goes on my list of bastards right next to Dancer of the Boreal Valley

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Azran posted:

As of right now, I've been waiting for three hours for my friend to finally defeat Zhang Bao so we can play together :v:

Yeah it makes no sense to be so permissive with coop especially as compared to Souls and then do this bónehead poo poo. That said it's how it was in Nioh 2 so I wouldn't expect they'd change their tune.