Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm on Android Firefox nightly for developers and was able to add my collection!
However there is a plus next to each one and trying to install gets me "failed to install" on all of them.
I'm not seeing that here, so not a clue. Like they download, but fail to install? I went back a few pages to see what the alternative solution was of just downloading the xpis from the website, and it turns out that came from you anyway! Did that not work out? Could doing that have hosed something up for you? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It never let me run them, I would have had to use ex file manager or some sort of alternative file explorer.

If it won't break my Adguard I'll just have to try that Firefox fork. I've been waiting like a year for addon's.

I just wanted to report that it didn't work on the latest version of nightly

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ublock Origin doesn't block YouTube ads for me, is there something I need to configure?

I use a separate extension to block YouTube ads.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Serephina posted:

Is there a way to disable that HTML (?) feature that tracks if the page/tab is in focus and being viewed? I remember finding out it's name a while back when I was puzzled at why certain youtube pages refused to play in the background, but I've since forgotten the name and can't seem to find it again.

I've already murdered a lot of functionality on my browser, so losing this won't change much except make my life easier as I've never noticed the feature except when used maliciously against the user.

It's the "visibilitychange" event. Mozilla docs: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Document/visibilitychange_event, the example is stoping music once the tab goes hidden. But I don't know if you can mess with other scripts' event handlers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Quackles posted:

I use only uBlock origin and don't have ads on youtube.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

karoshi posted:

It's the "visibilitychange" event.

Beautiful, thank you. Slam that into the Firefox Extension search, comes up with one hit which does exactly what I need it to do, great stuff.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

Unnecessary, ublock origin does it with the default blocklists.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

Unnecessary, ublock origin does it with the default blocklists.

I also use uBlock Origin and uMatrix together, and I've had some issues where it doesn't completely block YouTube ads. Maybe they're just getting smarter about it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't think you're supposed to double up on uBlock Origin and uMatrix.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Quackles posted:

I also use uBlock Origin and uMatrix together, and I've had some issues where it doesn't completely block YouTube ads. Maybe they're just getting smarter about it.

Yeah, all ad blocking has been a cat and mouse games for many years.

But I’ve not seen *any* YouTube ads in Firefox, nor in the Brave browser I use to block ads in YouTube on iOS. If your browser and extension are both up to date, check which blocklists you’re using in uBlock Origin. I don’t think YouTube is doing anything new to bypass ad blocking and it’s been perfect for me for a long time.

Google’s way of ‘getting clever about it’ is changing how extensions can work in manifest v3 to make it near impossible to block properly in most browsers in use. But we use the remaining good browser.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

wooger posted:

Yeah, all ad blocking has been a cat and mouse games for many years.

This. I've never had an occasion where youtube played ads and it wasn't fixed with purge caches + update now to refresh all the filters.

I'm not watching youtube 24/7 though. I'm sure that when youtube updates their stuff and breaks the filters, it takes an hour or three for the filters to get fixed. It's a moving target, that's what happens.

If you are *frequently* seeing ads imo it means you either need to check more boxes in the filter lists or have something hosed up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not seen a youtube ad since... ever? on my own machine. I am continually shocked to find out that they exist when I hear them when another person pulls out their phone. So in other words, if you're hearing them then something's gone wrong with your main adblocker.

Facebook ads apparently where a more slippery moving target and I eventually got sick of occasionally seeing them so I grabbed a dedicated extension and it's been fine since.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I don't think you're supposed to double up on uBlock Origin and uMatrix.
I really don't see why not. Works great.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Serephina posted:

I've not seen a youtube ad since... ever?

There was that time a while ago when uBlock stopped working for a day or so and it was just terrible. God, I don't know how normal people use the internet.

I do see ads on Twitch, however. But, if I link to the stream here on the forums, no ads play. So, if anyone wants to watch a Twitch stream free of ads, yeah, do it through somethingawful,com, lol.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Flipperwaldt posted:

Apart from the poster seeing YouTube ads?

What benefit are you getting from using two extensions that do 99% the same thing?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

wooger posted:

What benefit are you getting from using two extensions that do 99% the same thing?
What indication is there the combination is the cause other than the two things being mentioned in close proximity? These addons work in series, with uMatrix only seeing what uBlock Origin hasn't blocked. There's no mechanism for one to strip the ads and the other one adding them back in. I've been using the combo since 2014 and I've yet to see youtube ads. It's imo more likely that whatever is affecting the other people saying they see ads slip through uBlock origin is affecting them without uMatrix being a factor either way.

uMatrix doesn't have filters nor filter lists. You couldn't block youtube ads with it without breaking the site. uBlock Origin's advanced mode is a disaster interface-wise and leaves a lot of exciting, extremely specific ways to break websites on the table. Or rather you probably can if you learn the filter syntax, but uMatrix works fine with it, so why bother.

That's not a blanket recommendation for it. Nobody should use it but paranoid masochists.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been doing this for years and the only drawback has been having to reapply the rules in umatrix every browser/windows reinstall, which doesn't happen often for me but it's annoying.

Also the occasional form I fill out will break depending on how it's delivered.

And the occasional video embed, especially with reddit for some reason.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I do see ads on Twitch, however.
Twitch has ads?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I've always used a combination of noScript and uBlock, definitely have viewed YouTube ads. I have Firefox set to never remember browser history after it's closed.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wooger posted:

uMatrix lets me fine-tune blocking as I need to.

uBlock provides a baseline so I don't have to be fine-tuning all the time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MikusR posted:

Twitch has ads?
It's more like an occasional bit of stream in between all the ads.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
uBlock Origin with these lists + NextDNS with Hagezi Multi NORMAL. Hardly ever a breakage or need to turn blocking off. Never any ads

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I do see ads on Twitch, however. But, if I link to the stream here on the forums, no ads play. So, if anyone wants to watch a Twitch stream free of ads, yeah, do it through somethingawful,com, lol.

twitch switched to cutting ads into the main video stream a while back, making DNS blocks impossible. afaik youtube still uses separate ad servers

twitch also added aggressive adblocker detection to deal with the fancier scripts that could determine when there was an ad by inspecting the video manifest

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

twitch switched to cutting ads into the main video stream a while back, making DNS blocks impossible. afaik youtube still uses separate ad servers

twitch also added aggressive adblocker detection to deal with the fancier scripts that could determine when there was an ad by inspecting the video manifest

https://github.com/cleanlock/VideoAdBlockForTwitch works for me for Twitch

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the secret to twitch is to load the m3u8 on usher.ttvnw.net from a proxy that's in a country where twitch doesn't serve ads

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Ublock origin is more about getting rid of individual elements in the DOM while noscript/umatrix are mostly about preventing scripts and frames from loading in the first place. They're definitely complementary and I think every "power user" who can put up with manually allowing scripts when you open a new site for the first time should run both. Especially on laptops or phones blocking scripts is going to save a lot of power and mobile data and usually make everything a fair bit snappier, despite the lies Google is trying to use to sell Manifest v3. On mobile I'm still using using noscript but I definitely prefer umatrix when it's an option.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Desuwa posted:

Ublock origin is more about getting rid of individual elements in the DOM while noscript/umatrix are mostly about preventing scripts and frames from loading in the first place.

This is wrong, ublock origin totally has script and frame blocking.

It doesn't do everything umatrix does. Like, you can't block frames but allow scripts per-domain from the gui (you can write a rule though). And matrix has more fine-grained options. But if you are just doing scripts & frames, ublock is all you need.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

uMatrix is like an anorak for people who make anoraks, whereas uMatrix is just an anorak.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
uBlock can do everything uMatrix can but you have to write down all the rules manually instead of point & clicking coloured rectangles.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
uMatrix has been EOL for a while, right?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
yeah uMatrix has had 0 development on it for years

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah. I used to use a fork, nuTensor, but that's also archived.

But it still works.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

zetamind2000 posted:

The extension manager button is there but can be removed with extensions.unifiedExtensions.enabled set to false

As of v111, Firefox does not respect the about :config flag about trying to get rid of this Extensions button and this is un-removable. If anyone is wondering why this barnacle keeps popping up like a bad penny.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
code:
#unified-extensions-button { display: none !important; }
Putting this in your MoreShitToUnfuckFirefox.css should remove that eyesore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I accidentally added an improperly spelled word to the dictionary.

How do I remove it?

I tried following the instructions here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001058.htm

quote:

Click Start, Run, and type: %APPDATA% and press Enter.
In the Application Data window, open the Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles folder.
In the Profiles folder, there should be a "xxxxxxxx.default" folder, where "xxxxxxxx" could be something such as "yicjwewa". Open this folder.
Right-click the persdict.dat file and select the Open with option.
Select a program from the list to open the file. We recommend selecting Notepad or WordPad as the program to open the file. If you have another text editor, this can also be used.
Locate the misspelled word and delete it. Make sure to also to delete the line it was on and don't leave an empty line.
But I don't have a persdict.dat file in that folder. I have hidden items viewable too. Am I missing something simple?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

slidebite posted:

I accidentally added an improperly spelled word to the dictionary.

How do I remove it?

I tried following the instructions here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001058.htm

But I don't have a persdict.dat file in that folder. I have hidden items viewable too. Am I missing something simple?

1. double check that you're in the AppData/Roaming/ folder, not /Local/

2. there might be more than one random-characters profile folder in Firefox/Profiles depending on how long your history with firefox is.

3. Maybe ff doesn't save that file until you quit the browser? That would be pretty silly but I suppose it's possible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was it, I looked in the wrong profile folder.
Thanks.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Firefox 111 on Ubuntu 20. WebGL suddenly became unavailable. The console has the error code "EXHAUSTED_DRIVERS" (mood). I tried flipping the force WebGL config but no dice, tried safe mode and nothing, tried fiddling with the performance and hardware acceleration settings and nothing. The claim online is that this is a problem with the snap version of Firefox but I've got it installed through apt, and the claim is that this is a problem with Wayland but I'm using X11.

Guess I just... Don't get WebGL for now

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Killingyouguy! posted:

Firefox 111 on Ubuntu 20. WebGL suddenly became unavailable. The console has the error code "EXHAUSTED_DRIVERS" (mood). I tried flipping the force WebGL config but no dice, tried safe mode and nothing, tried fiddling with the performance and hardware acceleration settings and nothing. The claim online is that this is a problem with the snap version of Firefox but I've got it installed through apt, and the claim is that this is a problem with Wayland but I'm using X11.

Guess I just... Don't get WebGL for now

No probs for me, but on a different distro and using wayland.

The internet says firefox is a snap even if you install it with apt, unless you go out of your way to add the mozilla ppa and some overrides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So what's going on here? I noticed that Firefox supports the autoplay function for Youtube, but not when I'm logged into Youtube.

Above is logged in, below is incognito:

It's not an extension issue and there's nothing in Youtube's settings about autoplay.