Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

Are you sure about that do I need to post the special move from legend of dragoon where a party member spreads her legs and a black hole comes out

I mean that's just weird more than anything, but there were plenty of western games where sex and titillation was literally the entire point. Hell, God of War loved its topless women and sex scenes and that's one of the biggest Western franchises of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

Also a whole cultural thing that didn't age well was the whole "Scifi fans/gamers are weird virgins" idea because not only is it implying that nerds are unappealing unilaterally, it's also implying that if you are a virgin it's because there's something wrong with you, when you may just be asexual and not care about it. I've been a virgin my entire life and it's simply because I don't care about that kind of thing, not because I'm a weird nerd (shut up, I know this potentially walks me into a dumb joke and am willing to take that risk)

I'm absolutely sure if you watch every current running CBS show airing right now that will come up at least once a week. Ditto for the other big networks.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

gaming/anime/nerd stuff is waaaaaaaay more accepted among the mainstream than in the 00s, but the stigma of being a virgin nerd is still prominent

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Speaking of G4/Xplay/TechTV something that aged badly when it was done was when they did the survey of which one of their women would the public want to see in Playboy and they'd do a shot. I forget the other three candidates but the winner of course was Morgan Webb who politely declined. I think this aged as soon as it happened because:

1) it was going for the horny nerd demo reducing women to nudity.
2) Clearly they thought they could pressure Morgan Webb into doing it by putting her on the survey and not asking her about it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

So what's Adam's SA name, 'cuz this is some goony rear end posting.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/1632121484167757829

Phenomenal levels of persecution complex

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also we have tended our gardens, and now we're criticising his because he's got a nasty japanese knotweed infestation.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760?lang=en

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arivia posted:

Are you sure about that do I need to post the special move from legend of dragoon where a party member spreads her legs and a black hole comes out

My god, it's full of stars...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I'm not sure it's a complex, dude has been catching non stop poo poo from chuds on Twitter for the last two years after coming to the defense of a queer co-worker.

If someone is going to compulsively touch the poop there's worse results than calling gamer gaters a bunch of piss-swilling nazis.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes I’m sure chuds are absolutely looking to crush him for his racism in the early 2000s

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
The tweet he's responding to is the softest ball possible, and the original tweet didn't even mention him by name.

If he feels attacked by that, that's the definition of a persecution complex.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waste of Breath posted:

The tweet he's responding to is the softest ball possible, and the original tweet didn't even mention him by name.

If he feels attacked by that, that's the definition of a persecution complex.

The person doing the review was him lol

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

The person doing the review was him lol

Hey now, both hosts were casually being racist, it was a team effort.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

Hey now, both hosts were casually being racist, it was a team effort.

Even by 2006 standards that was a wildly poo poo review that was 3/4th yelling Sake! because it sounded like the characters name, also not remotely funny.

Also, 2006, like drat, that was 5 years after FFX sold 10 million copies when games were a massive success if they sold 2 mil.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Last I really looked at Sessler's TL he was yelling at everyone even slightly to the left of Hillary. So yeah he's just kind of a weirdly combative shitlib who gets cornered of Twitter way too often and will resort to calling you a chud, or worse, a Bernie supporter.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

grittyreboot posted:

Last I really looked at Sessler's TL he was yelling at everyone even slightly to the left of Hillary. So yeah he's just kind of a weirdly combative shitlib who gets cornered of Twitter way too often and will resort to calling you a chud, or worse, a Bernie supporter.

Adam Sessler’s entire Twitter feed is just him yelling at everyone on his timeline, so just statistically and demographically speaking he ends up making GBS threads on rear end in a top hat CHUDs, like, 60% of the time. Last time I read his tweets he was completely, retroactively, and justifiably renouncing gamer culture in its entirety and dealing with the insane backlash that came with that.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
It all looks incredibly weird to me. Like, do I understand it right that the reason a 15-year old 1-min video about a forgotten video game was posted now was so people would understand why some don't like the term JRPG? But the review didn't even say "JRPG"? Nor was it a review of anything, just some lame attempts at humor, which I guess is bad if you like the game. Did they review other games normally, but this only got 40 seconds of skits?

I used to play JRPGS back then, but I don't understand a loving thing about this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Man I used to watch the hell out of Tech TV. Then it became G4/Tech TV and got really loving weird. It tried so goddamn hard to be edgy, and I was coming from the Tech TV side of it so that was jarring. Then they just fired/dropped everyone from the Tech TV side, but kept the dumb gaming show, renamed it to X-Play to fit with the rest of the awful edgy bullshit. I never liked Adam Sessler, but boy did I have a crush on Morgan Webb from her Screen Saver days, on Tech TV.

Didn't they also have an official "who would you like to pose for Playboy?" poll?

Looking back that guy who hosted The Screen Savers was creepy as hell. I remember he once commented on the size of the women cohosts' breasts.

One thing I remember finding kind of amusing about Tech TV is that for all of their 7 hours of daily programming, they had the same people hosting different shows.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

X-Play's worst sin was giving Jedi Outcast a 2 out of 5

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Offler posted:

It all looks incredibly weird to me. Like, do I understand it right that the reason a 15-year old 1-min video about a forgotten video game was posted now was so people would understand why some don't like the term JRPG? But the review didn't even say "JRPG"? Nor was it a review of anything, just some lame attempts at humor, which I guess is bad if you like the game. Did they review other games normally, but this only got 40 seconds of skits?

I used to play JRPGS back then, but I don't understand a loving thing about this.

I think your trying way to hard to overthink this. It was just a really bad review of a game that honestly wasn’t even very good to begin with

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Calling that a review is extremely generous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In retrospect a lot of the mockery of 'weeaboos' and 'those wacky japanese' could and usually did extremely quickly descend into frothing racism by any standard.

grittyreboot posted:

Reminded back in the day I heard you can search the Twitter timeline of that type of dude (gender neutral term) for 'asian' and you're guaranteed to get some spicy takes.

Phylodox posted:

Adam Sessler’s entire Twitter feed is just him yelling at everyone on his timeline, so just statistically and demographically speaking he ends up making GBS threads on rear end in a top hat CHUDs, like, 60% of the time. Last time I read his tweets he was completely, retroactively, and justifiably renouncing gamer culture in its entirety and dealing with the insane backlash that came with that.

It'd probably help if he'd actually change his behaviour to go with it rather than acting exactly the same.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

X-Play's worst sin was giving Jedi Outcast a 2... out of 5

ftfy

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The one thing I remember from x-play was a review of some resident evil or something and they were complaining about the fixed camera tank controls, so there was a skit where he was trying to walk into a bathroom but kept bumping into walls as the camera angle changed

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Offler posted:

You missed the fact that the video on Twitter is a cut down version. Somebody linked the full version upthread.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Is this guy the gaming host who got his show back on air, tried to push crypto stuff on it and then it got canceled again?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Aces High posted:

What about shows like Monkey Dust? I only know about that one because of the Pedofinder General clips making their rounds when #metoo was starting to kick off. I presume it (as a sketch series) had its own share of :yikes: content

The Monkey Dust thing I remember was the series of sketches about a "terrorist" who was all "Now brothers we must smash the western imperialist state ..." etc. but his recruits/fellow jihadists were a couple of subcontinental teenagers from Birmingham. Complete with Brummie accents and their mum coming in every now and again to offer tea and biscuits to her sons and their nice bearded friend.

I thought it was sweet.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

BrigadierSensible posted:

The Monkey Dust thing I remember was the series of sketches about a "terrorist" who was all "Now brothers we must smash the western imperialist state ..." etc. but his recruits/fellow jihadists were a couple of subcontinental teenagers from Birmingham. Complete with Brummie accents and their mum coming in every now and again to offer tea and biscuits to her sons and their nice bearded friend.

I thought it was sweet.

Yeah those sketches were great.

https://youtu.be/rhxQT1d1AvE

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Singularities? In my vagina?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Splicer posted:

Singularities? In my vagina?

Better than a white dwarf

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Arivia posted:

Better than the original which apparently had red blood instead of Mystery Black Liquid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always liked Milenia from Grandia 2, I liked her whole vibe and her initially parasitic relationship with Elena developed in interesting ways.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Arivia posted:

Gods, yeah, as much as I liked Rose, that spell creeped me out so hard I tried to avoid ever having her in my party if I could help it.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm assuming it's a reference to the boob physics they bring up in the review.
God, this reminds me of the developer trailers for the 1998 FPS game SiN in which they prominently bragged about introducing jiggle physics for the main antagonist's breasts. It was a breakthrough right along the lines of destructible scenery and having hit points counted separately for different parts of the PC's/NPC's bodies.

Of course, that whole game kind of falls into the category of maybe not fitting in this thread because it aged poorly from the start. I think my favorite was the thug's AI bark at your police officer character, "Who are you supposed to be, Barney Miller?", referencing a show that had been off the air for 16 years at that point IRL and the game was set in 2037. Cribbing Daikatana's ad campaign slogan of "I'm gonna make you my bitch!" was another highlight, though at least that was a recent reference at the time. And then there are charming bits like the hidden security camera room on one level where you can watch the aforementioned antagonist masturbate in a hot tub. A true gem of late '90s gaming!*

*Admittedly the gameplay was alright for the time and I did have a lot of fun in multiplayer battles with that game. OTOH, SiN was also infamous for shipping with a bug that required a 31mb patch to fix, which was so onerous for download speeds at the time that Activision offered shipping of a free CD with the patch as an alternative.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Edgy attention-getting marketing in the 90s was just, as the old man said, the style at the time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

Gods, yeah, as much as I liked Rose, that spell creeped me out so hard I tried to avoid ever having her in my party if I could help it.

It was funny, I was like "I should look this up to see if it's as bad as I remember just in case someone calls me out on it." and then I looked it up and it was EVEN WORSE.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edgy attention-getting marketing in the 90s was just, as the old man said, the style at the time.

Look how big these polygons are, don't they make you horny?!

Also, I know I push this show a lot but Adam Ruins Everything did a good thing on why videogames were a boys hobby for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Not to add much defense, because the opening was racist as hell anyway but I think the "sake" thing is a reference to the Last Samurai painfully dragged out