Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Arivia posted:

I’m pretty sure idling at a timmies drinking lovely coffee is also a civil right in Canada

This is unacceptable hate speech; the Tim Hortons corporation will not stand for this libellous denigration of Tim Hortons Coffee©

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

trapstar posted:

All speech should be protected. And yes the Americans have a better system for protecting their rights than us.

You already agreed earlier that threats of violence are not okay so clearly you can't be an absolutist. But you're fine with hate speech and slurs as long as they don't directly threaten violence? Is it cool to scream about how minorities should be killed as long as you don't volunteer to do it yourself? Or do we just need more Westboro Baptist Churches?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Im sure the telegram channels that these are coordinated in sharing politicians and public servants addresses won't be an issue in the future.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

trapstar posted:

Our right to freedom of speech.

That right doesn't exist.

wow i need to type faster

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Americans have great freedom of speech unless your a journalist publishing their war crimes

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

COPE 27 posted:

Americans have great freedom of speech unless your a journalist publishing their war crimes

CIA merit of distinction.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

flakeloaf posted:

That right doesn't exist.

wow i need to type faster

Weird how people keep thinking this is a thing we have here in Canada.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

I wonder how that guy feels about foreign interference in our democracy, considering his opinions about our “rights”.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Apparently, there was a dust-up at the anti-drag protest at Calgary City Hall.

Small anti-drag contingent with a large counter-protest.

Of course, the only source is loving Keean Bexte, and he's been slow-rolling the poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Crow Buddy posted:

I wonder how that guy feels about foreign interference in our democracy, considering his opinions about our “rights”.

Is it really 'foreign' interference if Harper's in charge of the group doing it?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well Harper is very clearly an alien robot in a bad wig, so technically yes, he is foreign.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

trapstar posted:

Calgarians, I have to ask you, sincerely. Why would you let this woman anywhere near the office of mayor?
https://twitter.com/JyotiGondek/status/1629975809216880640

I will forever be thankful that the chud vote for that year was split between the "I think taxes are bad" guy and the "let's give all the public money to a sports team" guy

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

PittTheElder posted:

I will forever be thankful that the chud vote for that year was split between the "I think taxes are bad" guy and the "let's give all the public money to a sports team" guy

Apparently Farkas went on a 3 month hike after he lost and has become less of a douchebag so that's another good thing to come out of that particular election

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

MakaVillian posted:

Apparently Farkas went on a 3 month hike after he lost and has become less of a douchebag so that's another good thing to come out of that particular election

I mean, if he did all that without seeking publicity for doing so, great for him. The fact he's sought attention for his reformation suggests he's intending to continue acting in public life again so who gives a poo poo about his dumb hike.

Hey guys, I walked a bunch til I didn't suck anymore, how about a council seat?? Eh??

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
This is cool.

https://twitter.com/goodtroubleyqr/status/1632013885308903426?s=46&t=4eOzkNAty-o4Dvnt3yJrKA

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Anytime a Canadian bloviates about “free speech” you just know that they have been poisoned with discourse from the United States since Canada explicitly does not have that.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sitchensis posted:

Anytime a Canadian bloviates about “free speech” you just know that they have been poisoned with discourse from the United States since Canada explicitly does not have that.

???

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You'll find your right to free speech at the bottom of a well, actually...

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

???

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

Yes, exactly? We have freedom of expression. America has freedom of speech.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The only real difference in speech rights compared to USA is we don't pretend they are absolute and have to invent rube Goldberg legal theories to get around it

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

???

Offer only valid as long as a provincial legislature doesn't say "Nah, I don't want that" and slams the nonwithstanding clause button.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sitchensis posted:

Yes, exactly? We have freedom of expression. America has freedom of speech.

Please elaborate

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Offer only valid as long as a provincial legislature doesn't say "Nah, I don't want that" and slams the nonwithstanding clause button.

Lol as opposed to the US?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

COPE 27 posted:

The only real difference in speech rights compared to USA is we don't pretend they are absolute and have to invent rube Goldberg legal theories to get around it

That has actually been the point of some of the conversation in the previous pages.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Please elaborate

Think about how ridiculous it would be if I was an American getting into debates with fellow Americans about the American legal concept of free speech and I only used the term for the Canadian legal concept of freedom of expression instead of free speech.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sitchensis posted:

Think about how ridiculous it would be if I was an American getting into debates with fellow Americans about the American legal concept of free speech and I only used the Canadian term for the Canadian legal concept of freedom of expression instead of free speech.

Not very?

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

Not very?

You think an American debating the concept of “free speech” with other Americans, and using a term from the Canadian legal system to refer to it, wouldn’t reflect on how badly they understand the American concept of free speech if they can’t even use the correct legal term for it in their own country?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

IANASCJ but there are two broad interpretations here:

1. "Expression" encompasses not just speech, sign language and written word but other non-verbal communication forms like interpretive dance, performance art and political donations by numbered corporations, or:
2. "Expression" is narrowly defined as an idiomatic phrase, the free usage of which was critical to Newfoundland's decision to join the (con)federation.

A third interpretation involving the physical expression of, for example, bodily fluids, was considered by the court but ultimately rejected (notably this decision predates R v tubgirl.jpg).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

A third interpretation involving the physical expression of, for example, bodily fluids, was considered by the court but ultimately rejected on numerous innumerable grounds.

And yet I have been charged multiple times and banned from otherwise public places for freely expressing myself

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

A lot of people itt unfamiliar with the People's freedom of choices and voices act :negative:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

And yet I have been charged multiple times and banned from otherwise public places for freely expressing myself

You can't express yourself within 100 feet of a school or playground

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

sitchensis posted:

You think an American debating the concept of “free speech” with other Americans, and using a term from the Canadian legal system to refer to it, wouldn’t reflect on how badly they understand the American concept of free speech if they can’t even use the correct legal term for it in their own country?

No I think most people are very much capable of having a normal conversation without pulling out their law dictionaries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

You can't express yourself within 100 feet of a school or playground

They're trampling my rights!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

No I think most people are very much capable of having a normal conversation without pulling out their law dictionaries.

I think it would be weird and certainly unusual for an American to start referencing language used in the Charter. OTOH, it's actually quite common for Canadians to use language from the US Constitution, in some cases because they don't realize that it isn't the Charter, that the Charter exists, and is a different thing from the US Constitution, and by extension that Canada is actually its own country with its own laws and legal tradition.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I think it would be weird and certainly unusual for an American to start referencing language used in the Charter. OTOH, it's actually quite common for Canadians to use language from the US Constitution, in some cases because they don't realize that it isn't the Charter, that the Charter exists, and is a different thing from the US Constitution, and by extension that Canada is actually its own country with its own laws and legal tradition.

Wikipedia posted:

Terms like free speech, freedom of speech, and freedom of expression are used interchangeably in political discourse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Thank you for quoting Wikipedia at me.

That certainly made whatever your point was for you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My HR director referred to the workers compensation board recently. Instead of accusing him of importing legal concepts from BC I just assumed he was referring to the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board because I'm not a robot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I still have no idea what your point is, but if you believe that trapstar is able to have a cogent conversation on the extents and limits of freedom of expression in Canada, you're welcome to try

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Do you get mad when people say we are a democracy instead of a constitutional monarchy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

if you believe that trapstar is able to have a cogent conversation

I think we're still taking depositions on this topic.