Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How much do you all think this would change if Dana hypothetically were to uh, disappear?

Mr. Bulger please don't blow your cover, the world thinks you're dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

Mr. Bulger please don't blow your cover, the world thinks you're dead.
Whitey’s life lesson to his kid from the Black Mass trailer but it’s about slapping ones wife

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

I agree with this post unconditionally. I also have been in a coma since 2015 and only just awoke

CarlCX posted:

Allow me to counterpoint with a brief powerpoint presentation about the last time Jon fought someone who forced him to work at range

Lol

Lmao

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

For gently caress’s sake just shut down the heavyweight division.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
GSP is still my GOAT

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

is there a bigger threat to jones' title at heavy weight other than himself?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Tweak posted:

is there a bigger threat to jones' title at heavy weight other than himself?

Now that Francis is gone, no. I think him vs Stipe is an extremely intriguing match up but I'll hate when Jon inevitably wins it

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jon Jones is the champ and GOAT the UFC deserves

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Weeeeell gently caress. :smith:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

chaleski posted:

Now that Francis is gone, no. I think him vs Stipe is an extremely intriguing match up but I'll hate when Jon inevitably wins it

It’s pretty amazing how badly UFC shot themselves in the foot there. I can’t see Stipe having anything for Jones. After that there’s Pavlovich and uh Blaydes I guess, and the division is cleared out again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8zwVIFxQg

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If there’s any consolation, it’s a Saturday night in Vegas, and a Saturday night in Vegas after he won a fight. He is absolutely gonna do some stupid poo poo and we’re absolutely going to hear about it within a month

Historically there’s even a 60-40 chance it’s of the variety that negates the result

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

Heyyy I feel pretty good about this call. Brunson had some wrestling in round 1 go his way and traded for a little while, but was then just overpowered and blown out by the end of round 2.

I still feel pretty good about my analysis, specifically this part:

quote:

Brunson has the wrestling offense to shut du Plessis down, but du Plessis has proved remarkably difficult to keep down, and unlike du Plessis, when Brunson gets tired, he's cooked, and at 39 his gas tank isn't getting any better.

He was beating du Plessis easily in the first round both standing and on the floor, but the second that switch flipped and he got tired, he was just completely done. It was sad to watch.

Definitely don't feel good about this one, though. Jon looked better than he did in the Reyes fight so I'm glad heavyweight agrees with his mobility, but boy, Gane looked like absolute poo poo.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

Definitely don't feel good about this one, though. Jon looked better than he did in the Reyes fight so I'm glad heavyweight agrees with his mobility, but boy, Gane looked like absolute poo poo.

This is where I'm going to be an angry fan and disagree with that. I don't think we saw much if anything from me to really say that.

Clearly he could get a take down and sub a guy that isn't good on the ground.

But we don't know if his cardio holds up, does he still have a chin, can he handle pressure.
I just feel like i have questions even after that easy masterfull performance.

The constant "Well, he never fought a X type of fighter" is where I'm at right now. Needs to fight a true wrestler. (Which I know is a stupid to hold highly but I'm in a bad mood now)

VVV I mean at heavyweight

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 5, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Digital Jedi posted:

The constant "Well, he never fought a X type of fighter" is where I'm at right now. Needs to fight a true wrestler. (Which I know is a stupid to hold highly but I'm in a bad mood now)

I know we're mad but he fought DC repeatedly, and Hamill, and The Janitor...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

This is where I'm going to be an angry fan and disagree with that. I don't think we saw much if anything from me to really say that.

Clearly he could get a take down and sub a guy that isn't good on the ground.

But we don't know if his cardio holds up, does he still have a chin, can he handle pressure.
I just feel like i have questions even after that easy masterfull performance.

VVV I mean at heavyweight

Hes going to reign until he does something dumb off field or retires.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there is no god

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

God is Dead
And no one cares
If there is a hell
I'll see you there

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

God is punishing you for believing in false prophets like Johnny Walker

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Johnnie Walker is the only prophet I have left because Bones can still gently caress this up and Walker would help

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also, man, I'm really happy for Alexa Grasso but if she gets past the rematch Erin Blanchfield is going to kill her.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The heavyweight division is doomed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Jon Jones v Ryan Bader 2

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BlindSite posted:

God is punishing you for believing in false prophets like Johnny Walker

excuse me, i believe in johnny walker so little that i don't even like the whisky

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

CarlCX posted:

Also, man, I'm really happy for Alexa Grasso but if she gets past the rematch Erin Blanchfield is going to kill her.

It's cool that there's very interesting matchups at W125 that don't include Valentina

I know instant rematches for dominant champs is the standard and no one deserves it more than Valentina but I'm liking the sound of Grasso-Blanchfield more and more

chaleski fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 5, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
man i'm real happy for grasso. i watched her last invicta (i think) fight and her first ufc fight. she looked really promising then, and really brought it to the champ today. to go back to your corner looking fresher than the dominant champ who spent the last 10 minutes chilling on top of you is genuinely impressive poo poo.

with that said either i hadn't seen valentina fight in so long that my brain made me think she was capable of things that she really wasn't even a little, or for whatever reason she fought pretty loving poorly today. but that doesn't really diminish grasso's achievement at all. it wasn't a leon edwards hail mary. she worked to that finish from the opening second and weathered serious adversity. extremely good poo poo.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I’m loving how in multiple interviews this week they were asking Valentina what the UFC would do now she ran out of room for rubies for defenses on her belt oh well I guess we’ll never know :iiam:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I didn't know they stuck rubies on the belt for that. Do they just remove them now or something?

edit: Looks like just a removable plate that has the ruby sockets on it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Unperson_47 posted:

I didn't know they stuck rubies on the belt for that. Do they just remove them now or something?

edit: Looks like just a removable plate that has the ruby sockets on it

it used to be, every time you won you got a new belt, did they replace the new belt with a single gem now?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Looks like it's just a plate that can be removed with the fighter's name on it so they probably just change out the plate for the new champ. I would hope the previous champ keeps their plate. Here's Shevchenko holding one of them.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

it used to be, every time you won you got a new belt, did they replace the new belt with a single gem now?

Allegedly mighty mouse successfully argued that he should get a new belt after each defense but it was too expensive so they went to rubies after he left

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lone Goat posted:

When the swapped from the old design to the new one, they put this sideplate on that has spots to put rubies into for each successful title defense rather than just giving you a new title belt.

Possibly because DJ was bugging Dana a bunch about getting his new belt for each victory, which was the norm at the time because like...i think only a handful of people had beyond 6, and this is likely cheaper to do than making a whole new belt each time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd be shocked if they're not cheap little plastic things rather than actual rubies tbh

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

quote:

In addition to this, the belt is adorned with 16 white cubic zirconia stones, with eight on each side. Each time the champion wins or defends their title, one cubic zirconia stone will be replaced with a synthetic ruby, starting from those on the left.

https://mmachannel.com/do-ufc-champions-keep-the-belt/

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Let DC take roids and come back for another fight

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
grasso was cool as heck, the back take was nuts.

gently caress jon jones. i had such high hopes that the fight could've been canned on the steps to the cage. Actually gane should've gotten better value off the dick kick

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 5, 2023

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd be shocked if they're not cheap little plastic things rather than actual rubies tbh

well yeah

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Went to bed before the main, read back through the gdt when i woke up, genuinely shocked at how many people here expected Ciryl loving Gane to pose any kind of challenge to Jon Jones

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a quick google shows them starting at ~£10 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Alaois posted:

Went to bed before the main, read back through the gdt when i woke up, genuinely shocked at how many people here expected Ciryl loving Gane to pose any kind of challenge to Jon Jones

It's silly to Always Bad one of the more skilled and athletic heavyweights in history. Other than showing bad grappling IQ against and being lead blanketed by Ngannou (in a fight that could easily have been scored 3-2 in his favor if the one round where Ngannou didn't throw a strike had been scored according to the letter of the law), Gane's shown to be a good, dangerous fighter at a size Jones hasn't had to contest with before. Jones hasn't looked like a world-beater for the past half decade and barely scraped by a no-legged Thiago Santos; him completing obliterating Gane was by no means a no brainer.

He sure did make Gane look like poo poo, though. Massively disappointing.