Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Soul Dentist posted:

I bet ten Costco hotdogs that anime is involved

I'll take the Not side of that bet unless you want odds, like a chicken bake or some slices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm in the food industry and I've worked for a couple different companies that supplied products to Costco and can tell you it's not true for what I've worked on. Same formulas, just club packaging vs non club. And usually we have different sizes for Costco vs Sam's vs BJ's.

I was at the Miller factory in Milwaukee and there was so much machinery I didn't know what line was what but they were running Milwaukee's Best (the beast) while we were walking through.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

norp posted:

I don't mind the Costco checkers for some reason but I completely ignore the fuckers at Kmart (yes Kmart still exists in my country, it shares a logo but thats about it) because gently caress you Kmart for putting the checkouts in the literal centre of the store and making it impossible for them to tell who has checked out and who is just stealing a trolley full of stuff.

wait what

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

david_a posted:

wait what

Kmart was driven into the ground by one of those vulture VC hard libertarian guys who actually made it a policy to force individual store departments to compete with each other for resources.

There's no tale about insane Kmart stuff I would not take on faith because Eddie Lampert was a blood drinking sociopath who probably jerked off to Atlas Shrugged every night.

edit: It also appears that he gutted Sears as well.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I knew about Sears, I didn’t realize the same guy ruined Kmart. He was an Objectivist IIRC

(Edit: Yup)

quote:

Lampert is the owner of the Fountainhead, an 87.78 m (288 ft) motor luxury yacht.

That still doesn’t explain why the registers would be in the middle of the store

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2023

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

david_a posted:

I knew about Sears, I didn’t realize the same guy ruined Kmart. He was an Objectivist IIRC

That still doesn’t explain why the registers would be in the middle of the store

I could speculate, but probably something like being equidistant from all the departments or something, making it 'more efficient to return discard items or grab a request item

The stores were apparently so bad that new hires were told "don't ever loving help X in housewares, you work electronics only" and the place ended up looking like poo poo because literally no one would stray from their feudal grounds to help out anywhere else, and also being chronically short-staffed made it much worse.

Like one department would cut their shifts in half and then tell the supervisors to try and poach/harass/berate other department's employees to 'help out' in their section because they would get a ribbon or gold star for being the best cost cutting department.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're talking about foreign KMart. An entity with no connection to the American brand aside from the name. I'm guessing they're Australian

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

tango alpha delta posted:

I’ve suspected for a few years that manufacturers have two lines; the best stuff for Costco and the other factory line for everyone else. Stuff at Costco just seems to be better quality overall.

The last two boxes of chips I've bought at Costco have been bullshit. The bags were really empty and all the cheddar and sour cream baked chips weren't crunchy. They were kind of molded together into a super chip and had almost a gummy texture. Couldn't even eat them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

acidx posted:

The last two boxes of chips I've bought at Costco have been bullshit. The bags were really empty and all the cheddar and sour cream baked chips weren't crunchy. They were kind of molded together into a super chip and had almost a gummy texture. Couldn't even eat them.

This package sold by weight, not by volume. Some contents may have settled during shipment.

Macatt
May 3, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

They're talking about foreign KMart. An entity with no connection to the American brand aside from the name. I'm guessing they're Australian

No connection today, but there was in the past. The weird story is of Target Australia and Target US, who apparently have no historical connection, yet somehow ended up with identical branding which they're strangely content to share with one another. It's too coincidental for there not to be something more to the story, but I've never found an explanation.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes, Australian Kmart, nothing to do with US Kmart. And yes they put their checkouts in the middle of store starting almost a decade ago. Which is a complete fail, as all Australian states are quite clear on laws stating that the bag checks are a complete over-reach on rights. You can 100% walk past them and ignore them. Only bootlickers stop here.

Costco on the otherhand is membership driven store, so technically the could revoke your membership as they are allowed to make receipt checking a requirement of membership.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

david_a posted:

wait what

Yes, there is a giant self checkout area, assisted checkout counters and of quite long queue in the middle of the store along with the banks of impulse purchase poo poo

You have to walk through homewares and women's clothing sections to get to it

pentyne posted:

I could speculate, but probably something like being equidistant from all the departments or something, making it 'more efficient to return discard items or grab a request item

I think it's more of a thing to make the entry to the store open and welcoming like the fancy department stores (in Australia that would be Myer/David Jones) that have actual competing departments that have their own checkout counters

However unlike target that just jams them off to the side near the exit Kmart decided to make everyone uncomfortable and have to walk back through the store after purchasing stuff.

They also put the returns/layby counter at the very back of the store near the photo lab!

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Heading to Costco soon! Family lunch will be:
3x $1.50 Hotdog + soda (w/refill)
1x Slice of cheese pizza

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Cithen posted:

Heading to Costco soon! Family lunch will be:
3x $1.50 Hotdog + soda (w/refill)
1x Slice of cheese pizza

What's the rest of your family going to have?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alucard posted:

Hospital vending machine snacks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Alucard posted:

whatever they've got on the sample tables

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I was at the Miller factory in Milwaukee and there was so much machinery I didn't know what line was what but they were running Milwaukee's Best (the beast) while we were walking through.

Apparently Miller has owned Milwaukee's Best for a while?

But one of my absolute favorite things about visiting contract manufacturers is seeing all the brands they make. There's a tiny brewery in Minnesota that cans so many carbonated beverage brands and I had no idea until I visited to run my products there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Apparently Miller has owned Milwaukee's Best for a while?

But one of my absolute favorite things about visiting contract manufacturers is seeing all the brands they make. There's a tiny brewery in Minnesota that cans so many carbonated beverage brands and I had no idea until I visited to run my products there.

Yeah Miller has been making the beast for a very long time. When we were touring they just happened to have that on the line. Machines putting the cans in boxes and stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Who makes the Kirkland beer?

They need to be banned from making anything ever.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Survived a late Saturday afternoon afternoon church visit. (No communion.) Took a flyer on the premade chicken quesadillas... Meh.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

MarcusSA posted:

The assortments in bottles? I think those are fairly regional.

They don't make the light beer cases any more, do they? I am a connoisseur of cheap rear end case beers and the Kirkland light beer was remarkably, borderline undrinkably terrible.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Kirkland signature brand beer makes me rip rear end like you wouldnt believe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I went to Costco earlier and got Zyn, macadamia nuts, and Afrin. Gonna be a wild weekend here.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Is zyn like pouch tobacco for people they think it doesn't cause cancer or what?

Swedish steamed snus if you will for the American market?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Is zyn like pouch tobacco for people they think it doesn't cause cancer or what?

Swedish steamed snus if you will for the American market?

Nah, it's pretty much just straight nicotine with flavoring added. It's kind of like snus without the tobacco.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Hmm. Does it have a taste or is it just whenever they put in the package.. peppermint means peppermint? No tobacco flavor or well known carcinogens?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Do you put it on your upper or lower lip?

Edit: they seem very experimental but probably better than smoking.

probably better than tobacco too.. Nicotine is no joke but it's not a carcinogen to my knowledge

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 5, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wendigee posted:

Hmm. Does it have a taste or is it just whenever they put in the package.. peppermint means peppermint? No tobacco flavor or well known carcinogens?

Yeah, they have various flavors. My current favorite is, I poo poo you not, "Chill." It's like a mild mint flavor, but they have a bunch of others.

I've looked into it, and nicotine on its own is of mild concern, if memory serves. A lot of the nasty health effects are from tobacco itself and/or the way it is prepared. Along the same lines, snus is way less risky than classic American chewing tobacco, mostly because it is prepared quite differently.

I'm not advocating anyone not already addicted to nicotine rush out and buy it, but as someone who has a terrible nicotine addiction Zyn has been the best way I've found for me to remain functional. Snus was okay but the tobacco and resultant staining of my teeth wasn't great, and the spent snus were kind of gross. In terms of harm reduction it's hard to beat Zyn - I quit smoking cigarettes in 2010, and it's thanks to snus and then Zyn providing a viable nicotine replacement system.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

No not at all I think that's a good use case and responsible.

But upper lip I'm assuming like snus?

I only smoke when I drink but I imagine it would be way better to remove the smoke part of that.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol I’ll feel really bad about all the cigarettes i smoked when I get nerve gassed to death by the American heart association for not donating to their lovely little change drive. :hb:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol I’ll feel really bad about all the cigarettes i smoked when I get nerve gassed to death by the American heart association for not donating to their lovely little change drive. :hb:

🙏

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

MarcusSA posted:

When it first launched it was Gordon Biersch but I have no idea these days.

I always heard how crappy it was so I'm glad I never tried it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just had the ravioli Lasagna Bolognese from the deli and it's dooooooope. By far the best thing they make in house

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I remember the kirkland pale ale and lager were pretty gross, gave it to the plants.

In California attheres always 805 which is a nice lighter beer or Scrimshaw pilsner occassionally.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So it might not be poo poo in some regions!

quote:

The actual brewery that produces Kirkland beer can vary depending on the specific type of beer and the region where it is sold. Costco contracts with various breweries to produce the beer under the Kirkland brand name. Some of the breweries known to have produced Kirkland beer in the past include Gordon Biersch Brewing Company, Hopfen und Malz Brewing Company, and Minhas Craft Brewery.

Just most of them

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tried the Rana beef and short rib lasagna from the refrigerated section. I think it had maybe 4-5 pieces of short rib in it and a bunch of regular quality ground beef. Definitely not worth it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Kirkland Light - cuz it’s 11am somewhere!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
11? Late start or what?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Guess where I am right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm trying to think of what a smart trashcan would be for, and I honestly have no idea.

They’re called android phones OP