Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

"degenerate art"

Are you saying you assumed he was a secret antisemite for thinking James Joyce is trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rodbeard posted:

Are you saying you assumed he was a secret antisemite for thinking James Joyce is trash?

No, I'm saying I assumed the original account was one of those 'return to tradition' fash dudes sharing a quote from an old stuffy brit they felt supported their worldview. Also you know the fash grouped a helluva lot of other 'undesirables' and stuff like all postmodern art in their dumb 'degenerate art' category, right? It wasn't strictly all antisemitism.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Degenerate art was the specific phrase Hitler came up with because he was butthurt about failing as an artist which is why it's associated with antisemitism. I should have been more specific. It's a bit of a loaded phrase to be using just because a guy didn't like James Joyce.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I just posted it because the guy's pants were up to his nipples

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically Hitler came up with the phrase Entartete Kunst.

“Degenerate art” is merely the orthodox English translation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

rodbeard posted:

Degenerate art was the specific phrase Hitler came up with because he was butthurt about failing as an artist which is why it's associated with antisemitism. I should have been more specific. It's a bit of a loaded phrase to be using just because a guy didn't like James Joyce.

Once again to clarify I'm saying I thought the op was here because it was a modern fascist using a dead white guy's quote to prop up their position. It was just a person really into joyce dunking on Moore with a photo of how goofy he looked, and was also only posted here because of the goofy photo.
I'm not saying Moore was fascist or antisemitic for not liking Joyce.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

grittyreboot posted:

I just posted it because the guy's pants were up to his nipples

way to gently caress up idiot

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

the fat man is patrick moore a famous british astronomer and public intellectual known for being incredibly dour and also a skilled xylophone player, which utterly contrasted his demeanor since it was so whimsical. He's been dead for some time. I'm assuming the idiot quoting it is just doing that typical reactionary "appeal to august elders to explain a hatred for degenerate art" shtick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_Ckg5ott8

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

Thank you for posting that so I didn't have too

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

rodbeard posted:

Also they apparently only removed the anti-black racism from the books but left in the part that says Koreans are lower than apes.

So what, was the stuff about Koreans the only thing that was left?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Samovar posted:

So what, was the stuff about Koreans the only thing that was left?

From what I read they only changed the antiblack racism and left all other racist comments and misogyny:

https://www.dw.com/en/james-bond-se...erary%20estate.

I did not do much digging but somehow when my buddy decided to read some of the books in college the library copy he took out was the original British version that had some casual use of the n-word in chapter titles that got censored out before bringing the books over to America. That happened while he was alive so that was used as justification to tone down just racism against black people in the latest reprinting based on him signing off on past revisions. The publishers were basically afraid to make the books any less racist to avoid making people mad but of course any change makes culture warriors mad and everyone else is asking why they left everything else in the books.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can understand why they're sticking to just removing the most blatantly racist bits from Ian Fleming's novels. To do much more you'd have to almost rewrite the drat things.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shardix posted:

Thank you for posting that so I didn't have too

frankly the fact people didn't recognize him instead of immediately posting the weebl and bob video made me feel old

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
But also let's have another children's movie flavor of idiocy

I am going to sue marvel for the blatant false advertising of blorko's end credit scene

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Finally the Neverending Story lawsuit can become reality

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Coolness Averted posted:

But also let's have another children's movie flavor of idiocy

I am going to sue marvel for the blatant false advertising of blorko's end credit scene

lol I saw some of the tweets and they keep citing "evidents"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

the fat man is patrick moore a famous british astronomer and public intellectual known for being incredibly dour and also a skilled xylophone player, which utterly contrasted his demeanor since it was so whimsical. He's been dead for some time. I'm assuming the idiot quoting it is just doing that typical reactionary "appeal to august elders to explain a hatred for degenerate art" shtick

e: actually glancing at the person's feed it's not that at all, looks more like it's just a giant Joyce and 20th century lit fan making fun of Moore, so not really any sort of internet idiocy

Aren't you forgetting his little role as a disembodied cyber/ steampunk, royal and/ or divine head that mocked small children and dispensed videogame advice?

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Mar 5, 2023

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Coolness Averted posted:

e: actually glancing at the person's feed it's not that at all, looks more like it's just a giant Joyce and 20th century lit fan making fun of Moore, so not really any sort of internet idiocy

Wait, Patrick Moore actually did play the xylophone? I thought it was a non-sequitur from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_Ckg5ott8

EDIT: Oh goddamnit some already did post that. I am legit surprised that he actually knew how to play apparently.

Unlucky7 has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Mar 5, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Alex Jones* has a repeated bit where Moonraker actually reveals 'The Globalists' plans and Fleming actually wrote it as a coded warning of their sinister schemes. Bio-weapons, eugenics etc, etc.

But he says all of this stuff based on the Film. He's clearly never read the book (even though he's pretending to)
and has no idea it's completely different from the plot of the movie, which is of course 'Lets riff off of Star Wars and see if we can get similar mountains of cash'.

*This is from listening to Knowledge Fight, the podcast deconstructing him, not actually a fan of his I hasten to add.

Deptfordx has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Mar 5, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Probably worth pointing out that in the UK this grotesque racist fossil was the face of video games in the 1990s on TV and would dole out cheat codes and put kids against each other in street fighter and whatnot.

Also he was a cyborg.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Unlucky7 posted:

Wait, Patrick Moore actually did play the xylophone?
Yeah! As an American I was introduced to him through the Weebl song too, but he really did play and there's a few BBC videos of it, including an original composition of his 'Penguin Parade'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

rodbeard posted:

From what I read they only changed the antiblack racism and left all other racist comments and misogyny:

https://www.dw.com/en/james-bond-se...erary%20estate.

I did not do much digging but somehow when my buddy decided to read some of the books in college the library copy he took out was the original British version that had some casual use of the n-word in chapter titles that got censored out before bringing the books over to America. That happened while he was alive so that was used as justification to tone down just racism against black people in the latest reprinting based on him signing off on past revisions. The publishers were basically afraid to make the books any less racist to avoid making people mad but of course any change makes culture warriors mad and everyone else is asking why they left everything else in the books.

Well, I can at least say that the Bond books were not the most racist books I've read; that 'award' would have to go to the Fu Manchu series. And I've read Mein Kampf.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean there is a reason fu Manchu is basically a genre unto itself

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samovar posted:

I've read Mein Kampf.
You seem to be weirdly proud of that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That's not what people meant by"Read another book"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My "I've read Mein Kampf" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

My "I've read Mein Kampf" t-shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt.

If you were a real fan you’d know Hitler’s first hate crime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like you're allowed an average of one mein kampf brag a year.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tiggum posted:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Government]

Jennifer Government isn't a perfect read, but it is a good read, I would recommend it. Even when Max Barry's books aren't objectively good, they always have good ideas.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

NationStates was an entertaining browser game based on it, too

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like you're allowed an average of one mein kampf brag a year.

7 posts in 8.5 years, they just made it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The James Bond edits remind me of the recent outrage about how Roald Dahl books have been edited and chuds have been considering it a cardinal sin to do this.

They'll also accuse liberals of double standards about it-"They're fine with third graders reading the Gender Queer book but God forbid we read what Dahl originally wrote about Oomla Loompahs!"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tiggum posted:

You seem to be weirdly proud of that.

Tbh., if you manage to read Mein Kampf front to the center, that's an achievement. It is incoherent drivel and the prose is garbage. It's even worse if you read it in German. It makes the fact that millions of households proudly displayed it in their bookshelf even crazier. How do you subscribe to an ideology when its influential manifesto is complete nonsense?

Controversial statement, I know, but… Mein Kampf? Bad book.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

How do you subscribe to an ideology when its influential manifesto is complete nonsense?

I mean, conservatism has a similar problem, the sane ones believe in utterly nonsense economics and the crazy ones believe in literal demon aliens eating children.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Antigravitas posted:

Tbh., if you manage to read Mein Kampf front to the center, that's an achievement. It is incoherent drivel and the prose is garbage. It's even worse if you read it in German. It makes the fact that millions of households proudly displayed it in their bookshelf even crazier. How do you subscribe to an ideology when its influential manifesto is complete nonsense?

I see that and I raise you "Bespuća povijesne zbiljnosti" by Franjo Tuđman.

The title itself is so pretentiously stupid that it's almost untranslatable to other languages, in part because that locally-famous fascist dictator decided to completely invent "old/pure Croatian words", straight from his rear end. ("Wastelands of Historical Realitiness", basically)

No, I haven't read it nor will I ever even consider reading it, tyvm.

gbut has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Mar 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Antigravitas posted:

It is by all accounts a horrible slog of a book so I can sort of see why a person would want others to get something out of the experience, namely “bragging rights”.

It’s a self-own to admit to reading it on one’s free time though. Why would they subject themselves to that?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Hitler badly needed a good editor. Mein Kampf is a mess.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Desert Bus posted:

Why would you say something so brave, yet so controversial?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even Musso panned it.

quote:

JAN. 7 1939: I have tried to read some passages in "Mein Kampf." It is nonsense. The author calls it the Bible of the New Germany. He believes that he has thought up a masterpiece. Unreadable. The incoherence of that insane madman of a Rasputin of Hitler: Alfred Rosenberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Desert Bus posted:

Some sort of Final Solution to the problems of his work.