Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ah, we got to the part where people are like, well, Melkor, what exactly did you think was gonna happen when you promised everything in the world to a being which is infinitely greedy.

Am I supposed to read Mandos as being the cattiest lil valar when Feanor says he'll be the first to die and Mandos goes "not the first" or is that supposed to be about his dad and not his mom. Because I read it about his mom and was like, drat, Mandos got claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Mandos ain't catty he just don't joke around or take any poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Barudak posted:

Ah, we got to the part where people are like, well, Melkor, what exactly did you think was gonna happen when you promised everything in the world to a being which is infinitely greedy.

Am I supposed to read Mandos as being the cattiest lil valar when Feanor says he'll be the first to die and Mandos goes "not the first" or is that supposed to be about his dad and not his mom. Because I read it about his mom and was like, drat, Mandos got claws.

I think it was supposed to be both a callback and a prophecy. it applies to mom, his dad, the kinslaying, the Noldor who would die on the Helcaraxë after Fëanor burned the ships, arguably the Trees

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vavrek posted:

Fëanor is great. :allears:

No, like, literally, he's The Greatest of The Elves.

You know, like Melkor is the greatest of the Valar.

Was talking about the One Ring before and there's definitely a running theme in Tolkien that epic heroes and kings and gods may be able to do mighty things they are also just as flawed and their power means the consequences of those flaws are horrific, and they are all the more vulnerable to corruption and going down terrible paths. While there's a theme that a lot of the best people are the ones who just want to chill and be merry and hang out with friends and guests, feasting and singing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fatty Bolger is the true hero of the saga

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fatty Bolger is the true hero of the saga

Fatty Bolger deserves credit for noping out at the first suggestion of anything strenuous, but the true hero of Frodo’s friends is Folco Boffin, who helped him pack all his stuff up at Bag End, had lunch, and then went home. None of this “magic” “ring” “quest” bullshit for him

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was talking about the One Ring before and there's definitely a running theme in Tolkien that epic heroes and kings and gods may be able to do mighty things they are also just as flawed and their power means the consequences of those flaws are horrific, and they are all the more vulnerable to corruption and going down terrible paths. While there's a theme that a lot of the best people are the ones who just want to chill and be merry and hang out with friends and guests, feasting and singing.

Just like IRL (In Rings Life)

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

skasion posted:

Fatty Bolger deserves credit for noping out at the first suggestion of anything strenuous, but the true hero of Frodo’s friends is Folco Boffin, who helped him pack all his stuff up at Bag End, had lunch, and then went home. None of this “magic” “ring” “quest” bullshit for him

Imagine being the guy who was less reliable than Fatty.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fatty Bolger staying behind like a bitch was an important part of splitting up the Nazgűl, otherwise they could have all gone to and surrounded Bree preventing their escape. he arguably saved the fellowship! then he became a Shire partisan which redeemed his cowardice I think

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Got to Faenor's oath and boy that was not expected from the audience. Quite a lot of "what is wrong with these elves, this is not how they were" and also the worlds #1 Galadriel stan curious how it all goes down for her given her extremely, comically, stupid cousins.

I like how humans don't even exist yet and Faenor is putting them on the shitlist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The elves in the time of LotR are relatively nice and chill because they're the surviving ones from all that poo poo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

indigi posted:

Fatty Bolger staying behind like a bitch was an important part of splitting up the Nazgűl, otherwise they could have all gone to and surrounded Bree preventing their escape. he arguably saved the fellowship! then he became a Shire partisan which redeemed his cowardice I think

Hold on didn't Fatty stay behind in Frodo's house as a decoy for the Nazgul? Hard to call that cowardly as they might well just have killed him

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Fatty Bolger did nothing wrong.

Wasn't he helping out Farmer Cotton and his stout lads in resisting Sharkeys thugs. Been too long since I read scouring.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Fatty Bolger survived the spiritual onslaught of four nazgul besieging Crickhollow with their aura of fear and darkness. A lesser being would have cowered, paralyzed with fear, until being captured and/or killed by the wraiths; Fatty managed to escape and raise the alarm in Buckland, driving the nazgul away and out of the Shire altogether. He's a goddamn hero.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

keep punching joe posted:

Fatty Bolger did nothing wrong.

Wasn't he helping out Farmer Cotton and his stout lads in resisting Sharkeys thugs. Been too long since I read scouring.

Until he was imprisoned and starved, yes. Dude served hard time for the cause.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Hold on didn't Fatty stay behind in Frodo's house as a decoy for the Nazgul? Hard to call that cowardly as they might well just have killed him

He stayed behind cause he was more afraid of the Old Forest than Frodo's tales of the Nazgűl

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Faenor you absolutely astonishingly stupid Noldor.

Finarfin forever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Fingolfin actually

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciate Finarfin's "gently caress this Im out" thinking.

Also seriously, this book is pretty readable for all the jokes it gets. You just really gotta go into it as you reading a dry translation of a primary source epic poem and your golden. Thanks 4 years of Latin in school and forced translation work!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so everything was very nice in the small corner of middle earth called Beleriand, where the Elves and the Dwarves held hands and sang songs of friendship each and every day content knowing that nothing would ever change that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a reason that one meme has one of the books just titled 'Feanor No' isn't there

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a reason that one meme has one of the books just titled 'Feanor No' isn't there

yah

e: for the unaware

https://twitter.com/LotRLore/status/643619894353784832?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elves Behaving Badly sounds like a thread title.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just got to the chapter "On Men" and yeah the general reaction is Elves are lucky there isn't a Valar in charge of HR

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Fatty Bolger survived the spiritual onslaught of four nazgul besieging Crickhollow with their aura of fear and darkness. A lesser being would have cowered, paralyzed with fear, until being captured and/or killed by the wraiths; Fatty managed to escape and raise the alarm in Buckland, driving the nazgul away and out of the Shire altogether. He's a goddamn hero.

Hobbits really are looking like Gandalf playing the Long Game by cultivating a whole society of people who can just No Sell supernatural evil and megalomaniacal temptation, it's like a super soldier program but for fantasy protagonists

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

Hobbits really are looking like Gandalf playing the Long Game by cultivating a whole society of people who can just No Sell supernatural evil and megalomaniacal temptation, it's like a super soldier program but for fantasy protagonists

Well sure, they have an upper-class English lifestyle, what's to tempt them? Meanwhile if you live within a thousand miles of Osgiliath, you farm dirt and kill anything that starts getting black striations in its veins from drinking water from the cursed river downflow from the death metal forest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so Feanor got wrecked, just absolutely savaged, and his cries of "Im not owned, Im not owned" rang out as he shrivled and turned into a burnt corn husk

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
And his spirit traveled to the Halls of Mandos, where it got loving beat up constantly by the spirits of all the other elves he got killed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You see Noldor elves walk like this, but Sindar elves walk like this

Curse you Tolkein, for making me wonder what a stand up special stereotypical Noldor voice sounds like.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

You see Noldor elves walk like this, but Sindar elves walk like this

Curse you Tolkein, for making me wonder what a stand up special stereotypical Noldor voice sounds like.

Feanor and his sons had a tendency to pronounce “s” as “th” and they thought the other Noldor were losers for saying “s”. Maedhros probably pronounced his own name “maethroth”. This sounds like a joke but is actually true

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"Look at me, Im a Noldor and Im thick of all theeth joketh" <entire menegroth audience starts laughing solid 2 minutes as Galadriel realizes maybe she shouldn't have sat in the front row>

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

feanor getting the jerry seinfeld campus protest treatment when he tries to go back on tour after the kinslaying

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caranthir being forced to sell his kingdom after a bizzare, extended rant about the Naugrim.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tolkien's whole thing was languages, of course he absolutely figured out regional accents for every character and then some.

There's an old saying that Tolkien came up with a bunch of languages and then made a story to fit them all in. It's probably true.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tolkien's whole thing was languages, of course he absolutely figured out regional accents for every character and then some.

There's an old saying that Tolkien came up with a bunch of languages and then made a story to fit them all in. It's probably true.

Iirc he started quenya several years even before ww1, when even the pre-mythos elf lore was but a twinkle in his eye.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc he started quenya several years even before ww1, when even the pre-mythos elf lore was but a twinkle in his eye.

The earliest Book of Lost Tales material is a year or two later than the earliest layer of the Qenya Lexicon, and is the only strict referent of Tolkien’s claim that the language came first.

hence, for example. the Qenya lexicon’s explicitly Christian vocabulary items are intended to agree with the abandoned plot thread of the elves lingering in Luthany-Britain long enough that eventually the Rúmhoth (Romans) and later the Ingwaiwar (Ingvaeonic peoples) show up and happen to record their lost tales. The plot concept clearly flows directly from Tolkien’s philological interest in creating glosses for English words that were particularly of interest to him as a devout Catholic, then creating an explanation for why such glosses would exist.

I think the way to imagine it is probably that Tolkien developed the story concepts in parallel with the lexicon, but obviously more slowly since it doesn’t take all that long to decide what the elvish word for “dick” is.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I like the elf who explicitly believes Christ will come to redeem Ea

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

indigi posted:

I like the elf who explicitly believes Christ will come to redeem Ea

The Protoevangelium of Saint Finrod

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I really wish there was an equivalent human Silmarillion. This story so far except Chapter 14, aka "The Adventure Areas for your Campaign", is a hilariously biased elf story with a lot of pretty fun action and characters so itd be great to have the human equivalent.

Vala what now? Let me tell you about the honored ancestors Eorl and Cirion and their eternal and sacred oath that binds our people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

And so it came to pass that Angrod invented the bus so that he could throw Caranthir under it