Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vahakyla posted:

If you do them right, footwraps are very very comfortable and can offer a very flush fit with the boot. They also dry faster than socks once you take em out.
However if you make a mistake or are inexperienced, they're hell to wear. It takes a lot of experience to learn to set them and wear them properly.

A.o.D. posted:

Wraps are fine, but require skill to wear. They have several advantages over socks, one being that with foot wraps you do not need as precisely sized boots as compared to socks. They can also be longer lasting than socks, since there's no elastic component to them. However, they can also become undone, and unlike a sock, it's possible to wear them improperly, and it's not like socks have any meaningful deficiency as foot insulation. If you're thinking they're an example of Russian industrial and military culture deficiency.. you're right.

I guess the Russian troops are fortunate to have received a bunch of initial and specialty training, which probably gave them enough time to get this figured out before going to the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

I guess the Russian troops are fortunate to have received a bunch of initial and specialty training, which probably gave them enough time to get this figured out before going to the front.

Once upon a time (in living memory in fact) foot wraps were the norm in Russia, so your typical conscript wouldn't have needed training on how to wear wraps. Russians mostly wear socks now, but why let modernization get in the way of military tradition and corruption?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Honestly I would not be at all surprised if foot wraps were something they actually had a legitimate stockpile of.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sockpile, surely?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

in a well actually posted:

Sockpile, surely?

This tracks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
JSOC and the Sock Pile

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I guess that wraps it up.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Jesus.

What the hell is this?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Flyinglemur posted:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...ntent=link&ICID

Boy, if you don't get your Ratsputin looking rear end outta here

Just a quick note but the Express is basically a tabloid. Heck, just look at the article: "We hear that some Kazakh opposition journalists have been saying that their unnamed sources are saying Kadyrov is totally ill and maybe poisoned!" It's pure rumormongering.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ASAPI posted:

Jesus.

What the hell is this?

The second worst thing you'll see today.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

More tanks!

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1632068634444181505?t=iiPdGdrXpYRPxhcm6AGr3w&s=19

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

in a well actually posted:

Sockpile, surely?

Obviously they don't have that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tomn posted:

Just a quick note but the Express is basically a tabloid. Heck, just look at the article: "We hear that some Kazakh opposition journalists have been saying that their unnamed sources are saying Kadyrov is totally ill and maybe poisoned!" It's pure rumormongering.

Yeah, never take anything it says as gospel. The Express is sub-tabloid. It's a fantasist rightwing outlet aimed at crazy people obsessed with Princess Diana.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

psydude posted:

Out of curiosity: Has the Abrams ever suffered a combat loss that wasn't friendly fire from another Abrams? I'm sure there were some mobility kills.

I very distinctly remember a hasty bridge built so we could cross the river going into Baghdad in 03. What was underneath the hasty bridge was the old bridge and the tank that tried to cross flipped upside down in the river. I dont think the crew made it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There was an infamous kill where it went through the crew cabin credited to an RPG29. Damaged/destroyed the breech block as I recall

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Tomn posted:

Yes I know that, I was more talking about what he is starting to look like and probably thinks he is becoming

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Kadyrov has known renal failure already. While it is possible that he could be poisoned, it seems more likely to be disease progression in the setting of him being a mega piece of poo poo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I haven’t checked on this thread in a while and the explosion of posts was slightly worrisome as I’ve avoided twitter doom scrolling for a week or so lol.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tomn posted:

https://news.yahoo.com/chechen-warlord-kadyrov-reportedly-having-185300586.html?guccounter=1

Yahoo news also has the story, and they are actually a lot more reliable.

edit: it is a repost from The New Voice of Ukraine, so who knows? But in my experience, Yahoo generally does some fact-checking.

Also

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/13766

not sure about the reliability on this one.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 5, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
eh it's all the same reporting on reporting on reporting from the tabloids

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
"Russian State Duma Defense Committee Head Andrey Kartapalov encouraged Russian companies to purchase their own air defense systems to defend against drones."

This kinda reminds me of the stories about 1920s America with coal mines/ford/steel companies buying belt-fed machineguns to protect the factories and homes of the owners. Though that was against their own workers rather than drones !

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Baconroll posted:

"Russian State Duma Defense Committee Head Andrey Kartapalov encouraged Russian companies to purchase their own air defense systems to defend against drones."

This kinda reminds me of the stories about 1920s America with coal mines/ford/steel companies buying belt-fed machineguns to protect the factories and homes of the owners. Though that was against their own workers rather than drones !

Pretty sure the bosses back then regarded their workers as drones too.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Fearless posted:

as opposed to now?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Fearless posted:

if the drones had stingers they'd be taken much more seriously

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's still a really long road to go, but transitioning from 'regional governments, develop the capacity to raise battalions all by yourself' to 'local companies, buy air defence' is another box ticked off the prerequisites for 'accidental free-for-all civil war'.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

New Perun on Wagner and Russian PMC

https://youtu.be/wXKUNc9yI2A

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1632255175963340801

I thought this was interesting and hadn't seen it posted in the thread yet, a reminder that Ukraine isn't just relying on old Soviet hand-me-downs but actually has a competent defense industry of its own that hasn't stopped innovating.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PurpleXVI posted:

I thought this was interesting and hadn't seen it posted in the thread yet, a reminder that Ukraine isn't just relying on old Soviet hand-me-downs but actually has a competent defense industry of its own that hasn't stopped innovating.

See also the Neptune - they seem to be doing well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1632270968868466689

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Well, we heard that, but I didn't think that was meant literally attacking with just shovels :stonk:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

How do they not have enough AKs to hand out? Even a rusty AK-74 with a bayonet and no ammo is a better weapon than a shovel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Again, the message didn't say they were armed with only a shovel.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Got it. I wonder if they use that model to dig the trenches, that would be rough.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

How do they not have enough AKs to hand out? Even a rusty AK-74 with a bayonet and no ammo is a better weapon than a shovel.

In the close quarters of a trench, the shovel is time tested and battle proven as an SS tier melee weapon. I'd prefer an E tool to a bayonet mounted rifle. The bayonet gives you reach, but requires more room to use efficiently and with lethality. They are also designed for primarily one plane of use- stabbing. Bayonets tend to not have slashing edges. An E Tool can be swung from any plane, including stabbing, and cause great harm. Reading accounts of Sturmtroopen and Trench Raiders, you'll find they rarely used fixed bayonets, instead preferring clubs, shovels, pick axes, hatches, and knives- with a healthy crop of fragmentation grenade.

If you want a practical demonstration, do bayonet drills in your shower, and consider that is utterly ideal compared to taking a trench.

I don't know that it is still taught, but I know the Soviets and Americans used to teach to keep an edge just in case- in the American case, I can say I was told that (and some of the finer points of cleaving with one) as late as 2002.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

In the close quarters of a trench, the shovel is time tested and battle proven as an SS tier melee weapon. I'd prefer an E tool to a bayonet mounted rifle. The bayonet gives you reach, but requires more room to use efficiently and with lethality. They are also designed for primarily one plane of use- stabbing. Bayonets tend to not have slashing edges. An E Tool can be swung from any plane, including stabbing, and cause great harm. Reading accounts of Sturmtroopen and Trench Raiders, you'll find they rarely used fixed bayonets, instead preferring clubs, shovels, pick axes, hatches, and knives- with a healthy crop of fragmentation grenade.

If you want a practical demonstration, do bayonet drills in your shower, and consider that is utterly ideal compared to taking a trench.

I don't know that it is still taught, but I know the Soviets and Americans used to teach to keep an edge just in case- in the American case, I can say I was told that (and some of the finer points of cleaving with one) as late as 2002.

E-

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Got it. I wonder if they use that model to dig the trenches, that would be rough.

They are using the standard issue E- Tool is my guess. About 30 inches long, wood handle, Square-ish spade blade about 8 inches at it's widest point. They issue the same shovel they did during the Soviet Era.

E2- me post good

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

The thumbnail the BBC chose is...illustrative.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The US Army issued one folds up. They were still doing the bayonet assault course in BCT when I was in, but we were also told to use a knife or hatchet or worst case this thing up close.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That's the Russisn issued e tool in the thumbnail. Now imagine all 4 edges with a sharpened edge.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yeah, you could brain a dude with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Squares with an intercepted call from about a week, ten days ago, where a number of mobiks were complaining about having almost no equipment and scolding a superior officer who ordered them to do exactly that.