Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wasn't watching WCW much at the time and I'm confused...Buff Bagwell was doing the Chucky laugh like a year before Chucky showed up?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Buff Bagwell did like, a cocky heel laugh sometimes, but it didn't sound anything like Chucky. In the few weeks leading up to the Chucky thing, they would play the Chucky laugh during promos that involved Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner/Rick Steiner. But Buff was not the one doing the laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Tell me about Raven in ECW before he left in 97. The first time I saw Raven was as a kid vs Benoit in 98 WCW and he was instantly my favourite. Going back I've hardly seen any pre 97 Raven in ECW except for the Sandman/Funk match.

Raven was still a lazy drug addict in his first ECW run but he hadn't destroyed his pancreas yet so he was capable of having very fun matches, and did with a wider variety of people than you'd think: his title matches with Shane Douglas and Steve Williams were good and his match against Terry Gordy was a violent brawl booked around Gordy's post-coma limitations so he looked like a killer again.

He also improved the pacing of ECW TV immensely because he had production experience and got Paul E. watching old Mid South TV for ideas.

Raven was also unique in that he was at first glance a cool edgy character with a modern look for the time, but he was such a whiny little poo poo that most ECW fans hated him and wanted guys like Dreamer and Sandman to kill him. To be a proper heel in a company that purposely cheered heels to be contrary is no small feat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also swiped his character from Point Break

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He also swiped his character from Point Break

This makes so much sense in retrospect.

In Lucha when does the wrestler leaving the ring count as a “tag”? Ie if I do a suicida to the outside can my tag partner step in the moment I clear the ropes or hit the ground? What if I’m caught like this guy?

Is it gone rope? The catch? The moment I touch the ground?

I realize the actual answer is whatever the match requires, but I’m wondering if there is a rule that defines it in some Lucha commission bylaws.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nystral posted:

This makes so much sense in retrospect.

In Lucha when does the wrestler leaving the ring count as a “tag”? Ie if I do a suicida to the outside can my tag partner step in the moment I clear the ropes or hit the ground? What if I’m caught like this guy?

Is it gone rope? The catch? The moment I touch the ground?

I realize the actual answer is whatever the match requires, but I’m wondering if there is a rule that defines it in some Lucha commission bylaws.

as soon as you're out of the ring you're illegal

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

After last night, I can confidently say it’s whatever they think is coolest. They usually seemed to tag in whenever a wrestler left the ring unless there was a big spot coming up. Then they’d just wait for the spot to enter

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What is the difference between a Death Valley Driver and a Spiccoli Driver? I can never tell

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was the 1-2-3 Kid the first non-roided or just generally not huge guy with moderate success in the WWF? Did he even win any titles in that gimmick?
They're probably not the type of guys you're thinking of, but like Piper and Backlund were big draws and weren't tall guys or muscle bears. And like, Tito Santana, who had a shorter pre-WWF career than Waltman did.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Elephant Ambush posted:

What is the difference between a Death Valley Driver and a Spiccoli Driver? I can never tell

Nothing. Same move. Just renamed after Louie Spicolli after he died because he popularised the move in North America

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

Nothing. Same move. Just renamed after Louie Spicolli after he died because he popularised the move in North America

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
A comment in the AEW thread made me curious: how many iron man matches have their been which weren't decided by one fall? Like, it's obvious why most of them find a way to make all of the time on the clock meaningful. Have any gone with "yeah this guy's just much better?"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Halloween Jack posted:

They're probably not the type of guys you're thinking of, but like Piper and Backlund were big draws and weren't tall guys or muscle bears. And like, Tito Santana, who had a shorter pre-WWF career than Waltman did.

Ricky Steamboat too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hand Knit posted:

A comment in the AEW thread made me curious: how many iron man matches have their been which weren't decided by one fall? Like, it's obvious why most of them find a way to make all of the time on the clock meaningful. Have any gone with "yeah this guy's just much better?"
It really seems like the ironman match is only ever used in situations where the assumption is that the dudes are incredibly evenly matched and you do not want whichever one happens to get lucky first to be the definitive winner.

That said it would be amazing to have an ironman match where like Wardlow was up 7-0 on Ryan Nemeth after 5 minutes and Peter Avalon threw in the towel

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dr. Quarex posted:

That said it would be amazing to have an ironman match where like Wardlow was up 7-0 on Ryan Nemeth after 5 minutes and Peter Avalon threw in the towel

hahahahahhaa

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hand Knit posted:

I glanced through what I could find from cagematch since 2013. Probably about 98% of the matches where draw or one point win, some were two point difference and there were handful of very short matches with a bigger margin (i.e. five minute iron man match ending 5-0)

I think Lulu Pencil vs Chris Brookes (30 min) might be a best example of a long iron man match that breaks the mold. Ends 3-1 with Lulu getting her only point 10 seconds before the end

Kennel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 5, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

It really seems like the ironman match is only ever used in situations where the assumption is that the dudes are incredibly evenly matched and you do not want whichever one happens to get lucky first to be the definitive winner.

Not an iron man match but one of the best understated bits of Omega/Okada 4 is that Okada would of won if he didn't escalates Kenny's no time like stip with best 2 out of 3 falls stip as well

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

purkey posted:

After last night, I can confidently say it’s whatever they think is coolest. They usually seemed to tag in whenever a wrestler left the ring unless there was a big spot coming up. Then they’d just wait for the spot to enter

It's definitely about as strictly enforced as tag rules in the US. But I'm glad you got to go, especially now that CMLL is kind of hot again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CombineThresher posted:

Raven was also unique in that he was at first glance a cool edgy character with a modern look for the time, but he was such a whiny little poo poo that most ECW fans hated him and wanted guys like Dreamer and Sandman to kill him. To be a proper heel in a company that purposely cheered heels to be contrary is no small feat.

Especially given as unlike the Dudleys he wasn't just calling ECW fans' mommas whores or something. It was actual capital H heel work.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

forkboy84 posted:

Huh. I always thought the Spicolli Driver was specifically the rolling/cartwheel variation of the DVD.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Super Dan posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Buff Bagwell did like, a cocky heel laugh sometimes, but it didn't sound anything like Chucky. In the few weeks leading up to the Chucky thing, they would play the Chucky laugh during promos that involved Buff Bagwell/Scott Steiner/Rick Steiner. But Buff was not the one doing the laugh.

I’m talking about the laugh Buff did that would repeat along with “new World order” during the nWo theme. That one sounded so much like Chucky to me that I thought they just used the sample from when he appeared in ‘98. But then I saw a few ‘97 Nitros and kept hearing the laugh and then saw Buff doing it. I’m not sure there is a question.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Bonk posted:

Huh. I always thought the Spicolli Driver was specifically the rolling/cartwheel variation of the DVD.

That was my interpretation as well

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I was thinking about it during the Iron Man Match where MJF was dying and Bryan wasn't even breathing that hard. Is there anyone in wrestling history that has better cardio than Bryan Danielson? Not thats stronger but could go in the ring at semi full tilt longer?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

LionYeti posted:

I was thinking about it during the Iron Man Match where MJF was dying and Bryan wasn't even breathing that hard. Is there anyone in wrestling history that has better cardio than Bryan Danielson? Not thats stronger but could go in the ring at semi full tilt longer?

Maybe Flair in his prime?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

LionYeti posted:

i bet danielson and claudio could go two hours

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

LionYeti posted:

To be fair theres a lot of smoke and mirrors in the iron man match. Not saying Bryan isn't in excellent physical conditioning, but it's more like "A full tilt segment for three minutes, MJF does schtick for ten, another full tilt segment for three minutes, double down for a few minutes, more schtick." The art of the ironman match is to stretch a normal 20 minute match in 60 minutes. For that Bryan and MJF where absolute wizards.

As for Cardio, RVD, Omega, and Pac seem to go full tilt for twenty minutes flat out and don't seem all that gassed in certain matches

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 6, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

To be fair theres a lot of smoke and mirrors in the iron man match. Not saying Bryan isn't in excellent physical conditioning, but it's more like "A full tilt segment for three minutes, MJF does schtick for ten, another full tilt segment for three minutes, double down for a few minutes, more schtick." The art of the ironman match is to stretch a normal 20 minute match in 60 minutes. For that Bryan and MJF where absolute wizards.

As for Cardio, RVD, Omega, and Pac seem to go full tilt for twenty minutes flat out and don't seem all that gassed in certain matches

RVD's ECW matches were all about a big spot and then laying down for awhile.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LionYeti posted:

I haven't watched it, but wasn't there some crazy charity event where Chris Hero just kept wrestling for like three and a half hours against a seemingly endless list of opponents?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

i believe when low ki won the 4 way iron man match to determine the first ROH World Champion he won by a 2 fall lead over spanky/doug williams/chris daniels

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

I haven't watched it, but wasn't there some crazy charity event where Chris Hero just kept wrestling for like three and a half hours against a seemingly endless list of opponents?

Three hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkXdUpsYomg

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

neoaxd posted:

Maybe Flair in his prime?

Probably Nick Bockwinkel as well.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

Probably Nick Bockwinkel as well.

Bob Backlund too

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flatluigi posted:

i bet danielson and claudio could go two hours

Them and PAC, yeah. PAC's cardio meter is utterly broken and he's gotten very good at pacing himself so he could do it. I feel like Sami Zayn might be able to pull it off too. And Kenny, of course.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

MassRafTer posted:

RVD's ECW matches were all about a big spot and then laying down for awhile.

This is what I've seen every time I've turned on WWE in the last several years.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just watched the Brandoncam for last night's Trios title match - the pop for the pin was massive. Like, it was "long denied babyface gets the pin over the company's top heel" massive even though House of Black is an unapologetically unironic statanic evil faction. Are they heels? They wrestle like heels, and they don't even do any antihero stuff like classic Steve Austin. They just do evil poo poo, cheat, kick in the back, and gently caress people up.

Tell me about some other wrestlers or factions in the past who like HoB were "Heel" in every sense of the word, but who got those kinds of reactions.

Hail satan

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CommonShore posted:

I just watched the Brandoncam for last night's Trios title match - the pop for the pin was massive. Like, it was "long denied babyface gets the pin over the company's top heel" massive even though House of Black is an unapologetically unironic statanic evil faction. Are they heels? They wrestle like heels, and they don't even do any antihero stuff like classic Steve Austin. They just do evil poo poo, cheat, kick in the back, and gently caress people up.

Tell me about some other wrestlers or factions in the past who like HoB were "Heel" in every sense of the word, but who got those kinds of reactions.

Hail satan

nWo
Four Horsemen

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Suzuki-gun, becuase they loved and supported each other almost as much as they loved doing violence

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
House of Black isn't face or heel, their alignment is "fuckin' cool".

Some of the incarnations of Los Ingobernables, especially de Japon, fit the bill of being ostensibly heel but everyone loves them.

Toryumon's Crazy MAX also comes to mind. They pretty much only turned face because they were out-heeled by M2K.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

When calling it in the ring, they're not actually calling every move, right? So like, if the other guy tells me to hit the ropes, do I just read his body language to know whether I'm getting powerslammed or getting a lariat etc?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When calling it in the ring, they're not actually calling every move, right? So like, if the other guy tells me to hit the ropes, do I just read his body language to know whether I'm getting powerslammed or getting a lariat etc?

They very often actually do. The mics have sometimes picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's often either literally just said, or there's a signal. The most famous/obvious one is a clap. Say someone bounces off the rope and is going to get clotheslined, no clap=duck and clap=take the bump. There's lots of signals like that but yeah it's often literally just said out loud.