Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
You know, you misspelled "confession."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Season 1 is weird and fun and good, it it absolutely shows that it's a mashup of the westside LA punk pomo art scene that Groening hung around in with the heart that James L Brooks movies have.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The weird artsy backgrounds in the France exchange student one blew my mind

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Greg12 posted:

Season 1 is weird and fun and good, it it absolutely shows that it's a mashup of the westside LA punk pomo art scene that Groening hung around in with the heart that James L Brooks movies have.

Yeah, after diving into old comics over the last couple of years, it's so obvious now to see those punk art strides on The Simpsons. There is definitely some Gary Panter influences on the first season. This stuff makes post-Golden Age even more depressing because of its roots.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

And Marge rules in the Bleeding Gums Murphy episode.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
If the show had been cancelled after season one, would the overall quality density be lower or higher than if it were cancelled in 2023?

FrumpleOrz posted:

And Marge rules in the Bleeding Gums Murphy episode.

A mother telling her daughter it’s okay to be sad feels completely ahead of its time for 1990 network television.

Halisnacks fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 4, 2023

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Halisnacks posted:

A mother telling her daughter it’s okay to be sad feels completely ahead of its time for 1990 network television.

Like the show is dated in a lot of 89/90 ways but man a lot of this would still be fresh if it came out today. The first season is legit.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

FrumpleOrz posted:

I've got the first season of The Simpsons on right now and I don't know how anyone can think this is bad. Is it as good as the best seasons? Of course not but there are a lot of fantastic jokes that come at a slightly slower pace. But the edge for 1989 network television is amazing. I can only imagine what it was like to see it on TV when it first aired. I was far too young to appreciate it from that angle back in the day. It's great stuff.

The early Tracy Ullman shorts are.. okay. I put those on first and I bet those were more fun in context of that show though instead of just plowing through them all in one sitting.

I'll never watch it again if I don't have to. It's not the same as the show I like in the other seasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Homer in the first season is just a wildly different character from what he would later become. Less lovable doofus, more social-status-obsessed, gruff power-tripping household tyrant we all love for ~reasons~.

It’s a way bigger change than the “jerkass” turn later

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRA_4cgYij8

Craving some frosty chocolate milkshakes too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Call of the Simpsons is probably the first episode that kinda feels like later episodes. It's not completely there yet but a lot of the primordial ooze is there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I just don't find season 1 funny tbh

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

FrumpleOrz posted:

Call of the Simpsons is probably the first episode that kinda feels like later episodes. It's not completely there yet but a lot of the primordial ooze is there.

Albert Brooks’ RV salesman is possibly his second best character.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just recently watched The Crepes of Wrath and Krusty Gets Busted. Season 1 is good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Season 1 has good art

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that season 1 is seen as tame and wholesome now but was edgy and counter-cultural when it was new is a testament to just how lame the vast majority of TV was up to that point. Sadly by staying on the air 25 years past their prime, they not only tarnished the legacy they would have had as one of the greatest comedies of all time, but also the legacy of being one of a handful of shows to revolutionize television.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The Simpsons should definitely be off the air but I don’t think the show outstaying its welcome diminishes the impact and influence it has had on television, comedy, and culture more generally.

They are like a washed up band/musician that released iconic, genre-defining music a generation ago, but still puts out irrelevant, worse music now.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

hatty posted:

Season 1 has good art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xe3jXRCYhQ

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Halisnacks posted:

The Simpsons should definitely be off the air but I don’t think the show outstaying its welcome diminishes the impact and influence it has had on television, comedy, and culture more generally.

They are like a washed up band/musician that released iconic, genre-defining music a generation ago, but still puts out irrelevant, worse music now.

This is true. Unless it came out that like, all of the writers and whatnot were JK Rowling-tier levels of crazy I don't think the later seasons sucking has affected my enjoyment of the earlier ones. In some ways it might even make me appreciate them more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Simpsons in it's prime was genuinely one of the best shows to ever be on television.

Which makes its continued decades long death slog towards obscurity even more tragic.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Halisnacks posted:

The show has sucked for so long though that both points have dropped out of the public consciousness. The vast majority of people, even those who may have casually watched it when it was good, just regard The Simpsons as the low effort background noise comedy it's been for 20+ years.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I have no idea what, say, Gen Z and younger think, but my impression is that most Millenials and older who have an opinion think of the Simpsons as a show that was very funny and good in the 90s, and now is unfunny and boring.

Edit: maybe we can analogise to Star Wars after the prequels came out. People thought the prequels sucked, but they didn’t retroactively change their opinion on the original trilogy as a result (or if anything, the suckiness of the newer stuff made people appreciate the originals even more).

Halisnacks fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 5, 2023

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sometimes i think about the fact that if the show had ended when it should have it would have been rebooted at least once since then. i'm not sure if that would be better or worse

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FrumpleOrz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRA_4cgYij8

Craving some frosty chocolate milkshakes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wry3GQGwq0

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Carl meets a babe at the alley and they have a bowling themed first date. She owns a soul food restaurant, went to Howard, sings in a gospel choir, is in a Salt-n-Pepa cover band, and generally seems like what a bunch of white writers thing a successful black woman is like, just an accomplished pile of black activites.

Carl goes to the black side of town for a haircut, admitting he's never been there. (Bart is a regular at the barber shop there.) He has an identity crisis about not being black enough. There is a dress-up montage of Carl wearing stereotypically black outfits. He trades his belt buckle, which was the only thing he had from his birth parents, to get the store owner to give him a new look.

Naima sees through him when he doesn't know who the guy on his new shirt is (Huey P. Newton) and calls collard greens kale.

Carl goes to Moe's but the guys are uncomfortable helping him figure out how his adopted Icelandic heritage makes him an outsider in Iceland and in black America. They eventually settle on getting the belt buckle back. It's been sold to Henry Louis Gates (playing himself), who hosts a show called Finding Your Roots. Gates bumps his next guest to have Carl on to talk about it and it cuts to Reiner Wolfcastle holding the Wolfcastle Family History album and saying "You know, it's probably for the best" (best joke in the episode).

Gates tells Carl about his great-x4-grandfather who was at the original Juneteenth and became a cowboy. His whole family was cowboys all the way to his father. He foolishly tries to go bullriding and everyone tries to talk him out of it but he does it anyway and gets all messed up but impresses Naima because he tried to find out about his past and they bond in the ambulance as she gives him a blood transfusion.

OK episode. The bullriding stuff at the end is pretty funny and at one point Marge is counseling Homer with a big book of things white people shouldn't say about race that has some good jokes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i mean, if anyone likes season 1/2, hey more power to ya. we all like what we like. i was only trying to say that the show is so different compared to what it became and what people generally think of and love about the simpsons. even in this thread, how many times have you heard anyone wistfully recalling bart becoming a daredevil, or homer dancing with the stripper? hell, i'd argue that he different between 1/2 and 3-10 was immensely larger than 3-10 compared to what the show is now

to me it's almost like saying "i'm a huge fan of family matters, but ESPECIALLY the episodes without that annoying urkel kid"

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 5, 2023

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

sometimes i think about the fact that if the show had ended when it should have it would have been rebooted at least once since then. i'm not sure if that would be better or worse

how much worse can it get

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Carl meets a babe at the alley and they have a bowling themed first date. She owns a soul food restaurant, went to Howard, sings in a gospel choir, is in a Salt-n-Pepa cover band, and generally seems like what a bunch of white writers thing a successful black woman is like, just an accomplished pile of black activites.

I had this thought looking at the preview image: "Huh, pair up the only black single guy in the show with a black lady who went to a historically black university. I wonder if they bothered to give her an identity beyond her race." And then I thought, "No, you're being a jerk. That's a really cynical thing to think from one image."

Harvard writers. :toot:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Mr Interweb posted:

even in this thread, how many times have you heard anyone wistfully recalling bart becoming a daredevil, or homer dancing with the stripper?

Homer jumping Springfield Gorge might be the first iconic moment of the series.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The family therapy episode (which I think was the first one that aired on BBC in the UK) devolving into the whole family giving each other retaliatory electric shocks was hilarious and I'm chuckling again just thinking about it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Carl meets a babe at the alley and they have a bowling themed first date. She owns a soul food restaurant, went to Howard, sings in a gospel choir, is in a Salt-n-Pepa cover band, and generally seems like what a bunch of white writers thing a successful black woman is like, just an accomplished pile of black [activities].

As a Black woman, uuuugh. :cripes: I guess bowling's the only non-stereotypical hobby she's allowed to have.

edit: never too late to fix a typo

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 5, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a Black woman, uuuugh. :cripes: I guess bowling the only non-stereotypical hobby she's allowed to have.

It was her first time bowling ever. She does not get over the concept of renting shoes and is about to leave when Carl bribes the guy to open a new pair for her.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When I was re watching season one and two of the simpsons what struck me was how experimental the show could get and having these weird little subversive stories with genuinely cinematic storytelling. Those first two seasons are so ahead of their time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

It was her first time bowling ever. She does not get over the concept of renting shoes and is about to leave when Carl bribes the guy to open a new pair for her.

So she literally has no non-stereotypical hobbies, great. I'm surprised they didn't name her Ebony or Noire or some poo poo, lol.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

YeahTubaMike posted:

So she literally has no non-stereotypical hobbies, great. I'm surprised they didn't name her Ebony or Noire or some poo poo, lol.
Duckman already covered that territory in the 90's: a character named Ebony with clothes and hair right out of a 70's blaxploitation movie. Then at the end, Duckman asks her about it, and her answer is simply, "White writers."

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should have made her really into anime

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm kind of afraid of how duckman would hold up but it was an amazing treasure of counterculture rants

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Rascar Capac posted:

Homer jumping Springfield Gorge might be the first iconic moment of the series.

Sure but how many times have you seen people bring it up?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

Sure but how many times have you seen people bring it up?

At least once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Win5nErh7zA

I've just let my video server play The Simpsons from the beginning and the Tom Jones bit slayed me.