Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

galagazombie posted:

More importantly, will they have as entertaining bond conversations as Soren?

probably not, but i hope chrom suggests eating an unpeeled orange to at least two different people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wait, did Veronica stop being sassy in FEH

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The design they're using is Legendary Veronica, who knows the Power of Friendship

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
This game will legit give Veronica more character than in FEH

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Not a very high bar

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I appreciate the DLC SP books because they let me do crackpot builds I would never in a million years recommend to someone but that are fun to do for the lulz

For example, inherit Starsphere early on Alear so he gets good combat stats, then in the very late game inherit Lunar Brace, use Marth, and wield a forged and engraved Brave Sword. (Inherited Lunar Brace and Marth emblem instead of Eirika emblem so a. someone else can use Eirika and b. Alear can have Marth's Str/Spd boost.) He one-rounds anything short of a General on Maddening, straight through to endgame (and he does one-round Generals if he switches to an Armorslayer).

Is this actually more useful than Alear with Corrin or Byleth or Lucina? No, absolutely not. Can other units achieve similar results with significantly less cheating investment? You know it. But it's fun and silly and would be a huge waste of SP if I didn't get a bunch of SP books bundled with the DLC, so hey, I'll do it so nobody else has to.

Seriously though, don't make Alear a combat unit. Their Dragon type support is so much more valuable than one more good combat unit. Do as I say, not as I do.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 3, 2023

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wish hacking a switch was easier, or getting my savedata etc in an emulator. I really want to do a reverse recruitment/emblem order run but I don't feel like doing all the work for emulation right now.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ehh, I'd say to run Alear with Marth at endgame. Marth patches up their offensive weaknesses, and Mercurius helps catch up after 5-6 story maps and many Paralogues focused on Dragon Vein/Instruct/Bond Shield instead of getting kills, especially with how much damage Lodestar Rush does. And at that point you have Veyle doing Dragon duties anyway. You don't really need two.

Speedtaker is pretty good for their open skill slot, since Marth isn't quite enough to get them to "double fast enemies" by themselves but does make them one of your faster units, and it gives you more Avoid stacking to go with Marth. Canter is almost non-negotiable for the other slot, in light of Divine Inspiration.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Einander posted:

Ehh, I'd say to run Alear with Marth at endgame. Marth patches up their offensive weaknesses, and Mercurius helps catch up after 5-6 story maps and many Paralogues focused on Dragon Vein/Instruct/Bond Shield instead of getting kills, especially with how much damage Lodestar Rush does. And at that point you have Veyle doing Dragon duties anyway. You don't really need two.

For the spoiler: This is true, but if you have the DLC, you might be better off having Veyle use Soren to one-shot anything she even glances at.

I will say that I do sort of prefer running Alear as a combat unit specifically towards the end, and specifically because of Engage+. Engage+ is really strong and coordinating Bond Blasts with your Engage partner can wipe out two whole healthbars on any boss after you get it, no problem. But that also means if you're running Alear with Byleth or Corrin, you have to choose between using their engage meter to do useful buffs/debuffs or to fuel Engage+, and that's a choice that feels bad to make.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Raserys posted:

between the three houses lords and chrobin, it's increasingly evident that ephraim really got the short end of the stick in this game

Poor Eliwood. Supposed to be the main character of his game, but got eclipsed by both the tutorial and the alternative unlockable MCs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Eletriarnation posted:

Poor Eliwood. Supposed to be the main character of his game, but got eclipsed by both the tutorial and the alternative unlockable MCs.

At least he gets a Bond ring with a useful skill attached to it.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Eletriarnation posted:

He could have tried having a low stakes but emotionally satisfying story about his heritage, or a big ax.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Good god put on some shoes Veyle you’re going to get tetanus. You’re not some mysterious escapee anymore you don’t have to keep the rusty broken chains. Wear your black evil outfit or something. I feel bad, like people are talking behind Alear’s back about they make their sister walk around in rags and won’t buy them foot protection.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

Seriously though, don't make Alear a combat unit. Their Dragon type support is so much more valuable than one more good combat unit. Do as I say, not as I do.
I dunno, I had my Alear in Wolf Knight for a while because I thought the ponytail was cute. Then around chapter 12-ish, I went and got Camilla, and reclassed Corrin back to Dragon so that I could have whatever dragon vein effects I wanted. The speed and strength from her time in Wolf Knight, coupled with Camilla's Axe (not the bolt axe, the other one) and stat bonuses means that she can basically one-round any unit in the game, and most things have about a ~20% chance of even hitting her in retaliation.

She's okay at support, but some of the [Dragon]-Effects from emblem rings/bracelets make her a monster.

On a related note, Veyle is currently holding onto Corrin because she doesn't need Rexcalibur or Bolting to be a threat. Being able to drop down field effects for when she can't reach the enemy due to her poor move is a nice bonus!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Support Alear is good but I don't think it's so good that it's their uncontested best option honestly. Dragon Corrin gives flexibility but doesn't make any of the veins stronger, while a Sage Corrin would have one of the best Veins and a 3-range attack (that Dragon lacks) to make it easier to Hex enemies with. Dragon Byleth gives you Rally All, but most of Byleth's power is in Goddess Dance regardless of the stat buffs it gives, and Backup or Covert Byleth still gives you a solid buff.

Making Alear support also has the drawback of making it harder to benefit from Divinely Inspiring, since if Alear is an actual combat unit they'd be generally in the thick of things instead of being in the back after using Instruct for example. I personally prefer combat Alear a lot more.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
Tbh if you want to take advantage of Alear’s personal (and you should) the difference between combat and support is less meaningful than simply making sure they carry Canter.

Also i tend to disagree on Byleth, because you can only Goddess Dance once per engage and most maps you’ll be getting two engages at most, but in the offturns you can be Instructing and giving +3 to all stats to up to 12 units is pretty huge.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

You notably can't Canter after you Instruct, though, so there's still some tradeoff there.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

I didn't find any of the +dragon effects irreplaceably valuable except for Lucina's, which I used as a crutch on half the maddening paralogue maps. +10% trigger rate to bonded shield doesn't sound fantastic at first glance, but it effectively halves the failure rate, and being able to keep a pocket of 3-4 attackers alive through a few enemy phases is really, really clutch for unexpected reinforcements or just holding chokepoints. Added synergy: as Alear can A-support everyone, Lucina's dodge-for-supports skill makes them unhittable while sandwiched in like that, and if Alear gets in position first, all the shield'd units get the +damage from Divine Inspiration.

At one point I had BylethAlear sync'd, but I found I was very rarely taking advantage of big instruct bonuses, and it kind of seemed a waste when 90% of Byleth's utility is in the dancing. I wound up putting him on backup units that were mostly around for chain hits anyway (+3 str from instruct isn't too bad either). eventually put him on Veyle

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
my experience with dragon-lucina is that 90% is still not 100% and the game would remind me of this at every possible opportunity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IMO the best way to truly abuse Bonded Shield is on a flying Alear with four other fliers. Since Alear supports everyone they'll be so evasive as to be completely untouchable on Normal/Hard or ignored on Maddening while providing a 100% Bonded Shield to their four adjacent flier buddies. The perfect murderball.

I'm using a normal Divine Dragon Alear this run but I might try a Lucina Wyvern Alear next time.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I gave Roy to Alear since Hold Out seemed useful to have on your "game over if killed" unit. Also gave some extra range on Blazing Lion which helped block parts of the map on turns where my Corrin user couldn't reach

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I feel like the only one that uses the heal, especially to top off hero units so double chain can be active again.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Support Alear is good but I don't think it's so good that it's their uncontested best option honestly. Dragon Corrin gives flexibility but doesn't make any of the veins stronger, while a Sage Corrin would have one of the best Veins and a 3-range attack (that Dragon lacks) to make it easier to Hex enemies with. Dragon Byleth gives you Rally All, but most of Byleth's power is in Goddess Dance regardless of the stat buffs it gives, and Backup or Covert Byleth still gives you a solid buff.

Making Alear support also has the drawback of making it harder to benefit from Divinely Inspiring, since if Alear is an actual combat unit they'd be generally in the thick of things instead of being in the back after using Instruct for example. I personally prefer combat Alear a lot more.
it's not just the dragon veins that gets the buff, it's also the aoe attack - the regular version is a checkerboard, the dragon version is a checkerboard with a solid square in the middle, which is much easier to hit a cluster of enemies with.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Er, what attack? Corrin attacks 3 squares in a line and gets +1 square from dragon

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Amppelix posted:

Er, what attack? Corrin attacks 3 squares in a line and gets +1 square from dragon

Camilla.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I didnt know this, but there's a huge mistranslation with Soren and dragon units: It states it doubles critical damage, but what it actually means is that critical rate is doubled. This lets Veyle hit 100% crit easily.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

gotta say, i'm still not used to the bosses going "actually, gently caress this?" and charging at you from their boss tiles. Eirika just decided to come running at me as soon as I reached the center platform, despite the fact there were still like 20 guys left. I had to pull off entrap staff shenanigans to actually kill her before she one-shotted any of my units with Twin Strike

FrickenMoron posted:

I didnt know this, but there's a huge mistranslation with Soren and dragon units: It states it doubles critical damage, but what it actually means is that critical rate is doubled. This lets Veyle hit 100% crit easily.
just gave her tome a +crit emblem and. lol. lmao. :black101:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Blaziken386 posted:

gotta say, i'm still not used to the bosses going "actually, gently caress this?" and charging at you from their boss tiles. Eirika just decided to come running at me as soon as I reached the center platform, despite the fact there were still like 20 guys left. I had to pull off entrap staff shenanigans to actually kill her before she one-shotted any of my units with Twin Strike

just gave her tome a +crit emblem and. lol. lmao. :black101:

When Nemesis did this to me in Three houses, I was stumped.

Fucker killed Ingrid as well.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I kinda felt bad when Micaiah charged me. You had an army of infinitely spawning wolf knights between us but you instead decided to throw your frail rear end against my meticulously laid out defenses in a choke point. And you’re the one Emblem without an engage attack so I don’t have to worry about you surprise one-shoting someone. I guess making me feel like I cheated did hurt me more than Shine ever could.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Her paralogue can be over in 2 turns. Rush the middle and astra storm her and she will just run at you.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

But the 1000 gold from the Sothe Fabrication...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FrickenMoron posted:

Her paralogue can be over in 2 turns. Rush the middle and astra storm her and she will just run at you.

Well yea that’s what I’m saying. There she is in the perfect position to wear you down and she just waltzes past all the respawning keeping me from her and jumps onto my sword point. At least Sigurd and Leif can take a hit and spawned parody levels of wingmen to come with them when I Astra’d them

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It works because you could kill Ike in RD 3-13 on turn 2 as well. Though Ike is quite a bit tougher than Micaiah and you basically need to be spending all of the Dawn Brigade's part 3 maps training your bosskiller (or making sure Ike doesn't gain any levels on the Greil Mercs side) in order to achieve it.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I dunno, Sigurd is almost Celica levels of easy to bait to his death. All you have to do is give him an Override conga long enough for him to not be able to canter out of range and he can be pretty easily dealt with without having to deal with any of his friends.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i know a few people in the thread have been posting about playing this on emulator - how well does it run on that? because the reverse recruitment mod seems fun. especially with the extremely funny veyle/soren build

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you give Veyle hold out you can just destroy entire enemy waves as long as she's engaged. You have to weigh if you want to use a 2 range tome like bolganone for potential doubles and double crit chance or thoron for being able to counter pretty much every enemy possible. A flare crit will heal her back to full hp.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

i know a few people in the thread have been posting about playing this on emulator - how well does it run on that? because the reverse recruitment mod seems fun. especially with the extremely funny veyle/soren build
it runs extremely, extremely well on emulator if you have even a half-decent pc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Chapter 25: its kinds of funny how hard they have to try to make a boss setup where you actively wish they got off the throne because it would be so much easier than being stationary. Meteor/Thoron sages, rewarp priests, a fell dragon on each side of the room, and an effective timer of infinite reinforcements flooding in is the only time I ever wanted the boss to come to me because it would mean less thinking, which was probably the point. Great chapter, kinda addresses the question I had where Dragon Mom wasn’t in the afterlife along with Good Veyle after Alear’s death, and Lumera sounding like a broken record against Clanne was a nice bit.

Speaking of Good Veyle, did anyone else feel bad for the evil one? I mean, she’s a literal irredeemable monster and all, but with the normal Veyle in the afterlife it kinda carries the implication that they’re literally different people sharing a body as opposed to Jeckle/Hyde and the evil one was basically just created to eventually die, which kinda sucks and I guess fits with Sombron treating all his kids like disposable fodder, even the one that wasn’t just beaten down enough to mindlessly obey orders.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I entrapped those bishops/sages with engaged Micaiah Hortensia.I made sure to save two uses for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I really need to get out of the habit of rewinding just before a bad turn and spending half an hour delicately getting out of the bad situation, instead of just rewinding 2-3 turns and avoiding the whole situation entirely. I always think "Ugh redoing all of that is so much work" but I end up spending probably way more time and mental energy anyway.