Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can deposit cash and checks.

No that's a different machine here. Actually that's two separate machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

ReelBigLizard posted:

No that's a different machine here. Actually that's two separate machines.

They're doing that thing where they're trying lots of cards to find the one with money (I had to ask a couple if I could go ahead of them once when they were about to try card #4 and I was in a hurry) attached to it? Or they can't remember their PIN?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Man, I hate when I get to the ATM machine and forget my PIN number

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Most of the time it seems to be people that have no idea how much money they have and/or which account it’s in so they just keep trying all kinds of combinations while doing the same “But I just had thousands of dollars in there!” that they do at the store when their credit card is declined.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for not helping my brother with his vet bill because he is an idiot.

I am a dirty hippy. I made a good amount of money before the dot com crash and I invested it well. So now I live on a small farm with my husband and make wool for artisans. Like I said dirty hippy.

Ah yes, a classic dirty hippie with a robust, diverse stock portfolio that produces a reliable income

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What do you think happened to a bunch of the 60s hippies?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

well why not posted:

just don't back down until he cedes the fact that "aluminium" has 5 syllabels AT LEAST

Just keep saying “expose the aluminium to meethane in the la-bor-a-tory” until he spontaneously combusts

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How many syllables does indubitably have?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

J Miracle posted:

Ah yes, a classic dirty hippie with a robust, diverse stock portfolio that produces a reliable income

:confused: Is this a contradiciton? Have hippies ever been anything but wealthy kids pretending they're not?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You can deposit cash and checks.

...you guys still use cheques?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

feedmegin posted:

...you guys still use cheques?

It’s pronounced “checks”

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Mega Comrade posted:

Sister changing her mind at the last minute is annoying, but cmon, if you have waited this long another 24 hours wouldn't have killed you.

Nah, the sister didn't even tell her the announcement was off, OP waited for half the reception and had to go ask her what was happening. Sister being like "don't tell our parents your big news for literal months so I can tell at my wedding, oh oops changed my mind tough poo poo" makes it seem like she just didn't want her wedding overshadowed by the baby in the lead up, so gently caress her OP didn't even make a big deal about it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Solenna posted:

Nah, the sister didn't even tell her the announcement was off, OP waited for half the reception and had to go ask her what was happening. Sister being like "don't tell our parents your big news for literal months so I can tell at my wedding, oh oops changed my mind tough poo poo" makes it seem like she just didn't want her wedding overshadowed by the baby in the lead up, so gently caress her OP didn't even make a big deal about it.

Yes, this, she wanted to tell her parents in person. So she told them quietly in private and told them not to make a fuss, and they behaved.

I'm astonished the cat didn't flee, screaming, from the bag the minute someone saw Op not drinking alcohol.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He was actively trying to develop nuclear weapons in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s, did they just skip that part?

If it makes you feel any better (it shouldn't), he was rehabilitated by West Germany like most Nazis.

Do your physics classes normally include history? Is there a section in my General Relativity textbook for Einstein's patent office work? Do lessons on Feynmann diagrams take time to explain that he was an insufferable narcissist whose only redeeming quality was being right?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Re-reading Feynman's autobiography as an adult was one of the sadder shocks I've had.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Drunk fiancée (36)flooded hotel room

quote:

So I really need some advice. My fiancée (36m)and I (34f) have been together for 8 years. We are on vacation at the moment.

In generell i am not a Fan of alcohol, I especially dislike how it changes his behavior when he drinks. He becomes a very different person and it’s quite hard for me to handle.

He does not drink very often though so this isn’t a regular issue.

So what he does when he gets drunk and wakes up (still drunk) he sits in the running shower for whatever reason.

2 month ago he did this at home and fell asleep for ABOUT 3 HOURS. There was so much steam in the bathroom that all of the cabinets had water damage, the paint on the walls got all weird and we had to renovate the bathroom.

I was mad, but got over it quickly cause I know he didn’t do it on purpose.

We are in a resort now and last night there was a party. I decided not to go because I am already exhausted. The air-conditioning in our room is not working, there are mosquitos everywhere. Mosquitos wake me up at night, I have about 20 mosquito bites… so this vacation has been horrible so far.

This morning I get woken up by my fiancée saying “oh I guess we have another issue”. The whole room is flooded. I am not kidding 1cm deep.

I jump up… he tells me he doesnt know why. I open the door to the hall. It’s all dry there. Check everything in the bathroom, realize there are no plumbing issues. Tell him he’s lying….

We start getting towels and spend 1.5 hours soaking up water. Moving all the furniture, wringing towels and were so lucky that the floor wasn’t even and that it wasn’t carpet or wood flooring.

Turns out he sat on the drain in the shower and fell asleep again.

I am so pissed and so over this. I want to go home and am about to book a flight home.

He says I should overthink it and that he feels like I am only doing that to punish him and that he doesn’t think my reaction is fair , since he didn’t do it on purpose. So in his eyes I am overreacting.

I think at the age of 36 you should be able to handle your alcohol and am just over it right now.

Am I overreacting? I really don’t know what to do.

tl/dr: my drunk boyfriend flooded our hotel room (not on purpose) I am mad as hell and want to book a flight home. He thinks I am overreacting. Don’t know what to do!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Raging about it in the store is ridiculous, but having separate register lines instead of one line feeding into registers is lunacy. Made the wrong choice and get behind the one person who needs cigarettes and wants to pay by check?
Hey, my cigarettes only take an extra 5 or 10 seconds. Now, those lottery motherfuckers...

well why not posted:

I'm imagining that he speaks like he writes, except in a booming voice with no pauses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDgez8QDAKo&t=18s

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Don’t worry, he’ll change once you’re married.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Don’t worry, he’ll change once you’re married.

I don't know man, with a catch like this, she needs to have at least two kids with him ASAP.

I mean, how else is she going to have mermaid babies?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Of course he didn’t do it on purpose, he doesn’t even know how it happened.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Passing out in the shower and not dying twice is some impressive tempting of fate

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Passing out in a running shower and blocking the drain with your rear end is some Looney Tunes poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He’ll probably learn his lesson after destroying the bathroom another 3 or 4 times

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Re-reading Feynman's autobiography as an adult was one of the sadder shocks I've had.
Yeah, the misogyny in particular stinks like a manure pile.
AITA for forbidding my daughter from speaking anything other than English in my house?

quote:

My daughter, Sam (f30) lives in Brasil with her husband, Jose (he’s Mexican-American) (they met in college). The both majored in Portuguese and have been living in Brasil for the past 5 years. Sam works as an interpreter and Jose works in business.

They came to visit and are staying with me and my wife for 2 weeks.

The first night I walked passed their room and heard them talking in another language. I wasn’t sure if it was Spanish or Portuguese (they both speak both) but that’s irrelevant. It wasn’t okay.

The next morning, I walked into the kitchen and they were already awake with Sam on the phone speaking in a different language. It annoyed me because it’s my home and I feel excluded and it’s not okay that I cannot understand what’s going on.

I approached Sam when she was alone and told her that I would appreciate it she refrained from speaking Spanish in my home. She said okay. I thought it was a done deal when she added ‘I’ll just speak Portuguese then.’ I asked her not to and she asked me what my problem was.

I explained to ther that I passed by their door last night and I couldn’t understand anything and today in the kitchen and that it wasn’t okay that neither my wife or I could join in on their conversation.

She told me she was having a private conversation with her husband, in her bedroom and I was not entiled to understand it.

I told her she was under my roof and I had a right to know everything that was going on. She argued that I didn’t and refused to accept that she had to speak English only.

I told her she’s under my roof and has to do what I say. She said she’s not 16 anymore and won’t be doing that.

I told her that if she refuses she has to leave. I admit, I didn’t think she’d do it, she never did before and always listened to me. To my surpsise she said ‘fine, we’re leaving then.’

I thought she was bluffing but they packed their bags and went to stay with Sam’s mother earlier than anticipated.

My wife agrees with me and told me she expected Sam to know better but my ex wife just called me screaming her head off, calling me a major rear end in a top hat and telling me that Sam will only speak to me after I apologise. I told her Sam is not a child and should grow up and act like an adult and actually speak to me instead of going to cry to her mommy and I hanged up.

I do feel bad though, I wanted to spend time with Sam and now I can’t. I need to know if I really was the rear end in a top hat and should apologize or should I wait for her to come and apologize because I was right?AITA?

"I told her she couldn't stay under my roof if she spoke Spanish, and she moved out from under my roof. I AM BEING UNFAIRLY ABUSED."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

MagusofStars posted:

That seems to be changing pretty quickly. In my experience, the one line feeding to registers was extremely rare up until idk, 5-10 years ago and even then, it was mostly only used as a one-off on Black Friday or a crazy sale day where separate lines would have been complete chaos. But now, probably around half the big box stores seem to have gone to the one-line model.

It cuts down on customer frustration from "getting the slow line", makes things more efficient overall, and lets the store hawk put all their cheap impulse purchase poo poo together to increase the odds that you see something that catches your eyes while waiting.

This is a better way to do it but whenever I get to the front of the line my anxiety spikes because I'm worried I'll miss an open register and just stand there while people are waiting on me and getting pissed.

Still better than surveying the registers and playing the "line lottery".

Edit:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for forbidding my daughter from speaking anything other than English in my house?

Someone is speaking another language around me? Clearly they are talking poo poo about me since I am the protagonist of life.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 5, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

quote:

I told her Sam is not a child and should grow up and act like an adult and actually speak to me instead of going to cry to her mommy and I hanged up.

:ironicat:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I gotta say I’ve heard some weird poo poo in the past but “not allowed to have long hair because it will distract you from school” is a new one for me

"Distraction from school" = boys. Her father wanted her to be less attractive to decrease the likelihood of her getting a boyfriend.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

My office sent me a random TV

Legally speaking, if you receive unsolicited goods, you are under no obligation to pay for or return them. He could have at least mentioned it to his employer in an "I didn't order this, so if you want it back, come pick it up" way, but at this point, it's been years and nobody is likely to come and get it. Talk about a meek, unassertive person though…

A few years ago, my aunt and uncle came home one day to find a package from Amazon waiting for them. It was a popcorn machine. Not a little kitchen appliance one, but one of those big ones they use in movie theaters. Calls to Amazon to find out what happened went nowhere, so they wound up with a $1000 popcorn machine for free. They wound up donating it as a raffle prize for a cancer research fundraiser event.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I told her she couldn't stay under my roof if she spoke Spanish, and she moved out from under my roof. I AM BEING UNFAIRLY ABUSED."

forget literally everything else, why are you eaves droping on your adult daughter and her husband at night when they are alone in a bedroom with the door closed? you trying to catch them loving?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

snergle posted:

forget literally everything else, why are you eaves droping on your adult daughter and her husband at night when they are alone in a bedroom with the door closed? you trying to catch them loving?

Houses, especially older ones, generally aren't 100% soundproof, so you often don't need to be actively engaged in eavesdropping to hear the conversations of others.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don’t mind me, I’m just going to casually admit, as her father, that I expect to listen to the private intimate conversations my thirty year old daughter has with her husband.

EDIT: Hey, poster above me, the father literally said he expects to know everything going on in the house and that it wasn’t okay that he and his wife couldn’t understand what was being said in a private conversation.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 5, 2023

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

snergle posted:

Yes, so he could complain about that being disrespectful.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah like if you're having dinner with your fellow plumber buddy you don't loudly talk about the giant wad of hair and fat you had to fight to yank out of a drain and how it smelled and the sound it made when it finally came loose.

Old post but: tell me you don’t know any plumbers without telling me you don’t know any plumbers

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do what I say, you child! DON'T ACT LIKE A CHILD, YOU ARE AN ADULT!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cloacamazing! posted:

Yes, so he could complain about that being disrespectful.

Legit surprised he allowed them to sleep in the same room

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The_Franz posted:

Houses, especially older ones, generally aren't 100% soundproof, so you often don't need to be actively engaged in eavesdropping to hear the conversations of others.

he said he "walked past" the room in the middle of t he night. if hes a reliable narrator he went to take a piss and heard them talking if he isnt he is eaves droping

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Legit surprised he allowed them to sleep in the same room

They may have already had that argument considering the daughter stands up for herself and that’s why he’s being ridiculous about this.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Excellent combination of 2 great genres, "help people are speaking not-English" and "stop doing that or get out... wait where are you going?"

Also great response:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I approached Sam when she was alone and told her that I would appreciate it she refrained from speaking Spanish in my home. She said okay. I thought it was a done deal when she added ‘I’ll just speak Portuguese then.’

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Franz posted:

A few years ago, my aunt and uncle came home one day to find a package from Amazon waiting for them. It was a popcorn machine. Not a little kitchen appliance one, but one of those big ones they use in movie theaters. Calls to Amazon to find out what happened went nowhere, so they wound up with a $1000 popcorn machine for free. They wound up donating it as a raffle prize for a cancer research fundraiser event.

I was sent a random package a few days ago with a twopack of leds in it, which i am fairly sure is that “brushing” thing where someone sends the lightest thing they can so it has a tracking number, so the sender can then post a verified review to amazon for something unrelated

Weird that yours got a rad prize like that, but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm willing to bet that father has a history of eavesdropping and the spanish/portugese speaking in his house was a preemptive measure.