Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm willing to bet that father has a history of eavesdropping and the spanish/portugese speaking in his house was a preemptive measure.

I’m sure dad also has some thoughts about his daughter’s Mexican husband

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, the misogyny in particular stinks like a manure pile.
AITA for forbidding my daughter from speaking anything other than English in my house?

"I told her she couldn't stay under my roof if she spoke Spanish, and she moved out from under my roof. I AM BEING UNFAIRLY ABUSED."

Eventually a 23&me test will reunite him with his real daughter, the poster who thinks people are speaking other languages in order to deliberately antagonise her and ruin her fantasy relationships. Sam will be able to stay with her real parents who don't think bi-lingualism is a sociopathic trait and both families will be able to sue the hospital where the baby mix up happened.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If only there were something dad could do to see his daughter again.

Oh well, guess she’s gone forever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I’m sure dad also has some thoughts about his daughter’s Mexican husband

It's very telling that when he tells his daughter not to speak Spanish under his roof, she immediately assumes that it's Spanish specifically that he objects to.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for telling my (30F) husband (33M) it's not the right time to shave his balls?

quote:

We have a partially non-verbal 2 year old autistic son. I am currently unemployed and I take care of our son all day. My husband goes to work in the morning, and after work he goes to my mother-in-law to help her with the gardening (they have olive garden). When he comes home, he is very tired and most of the time our son is already asleep. So it's almost like he don't exist, except coming home and sleep. I understand him most of the time and try to be helpful.

It's been raining the last few days, so my husband comes home from work instead of going to the garden. I try to encourage him to spend time with our son, but he takes it as if I want to leave my son to him and relax myself which is not the case.

Our son is a difficult child. Like I said He has autism and top of that he has hyperactivity disorder and we have difficulty communicating because he is nonverbal. He says only two words which are "done" and "gone" Even though I spend the whole day with him, sometimes even I can't understand his needs and both my son and I get nervous because of it. He gets overwhelmed easily and starts to moan/cry non-stop, so I get overwhelmed as well because idk what to do to help him.

Today was one of those days. My son cried from morning to night and I was psychologically exhausted. My husband came home, I was cooking soup for our son, then I noticed that they were playing and went to them. I thought something like oh they are making memories I wanna be in it too. I was distracted and the soup on the stove overflowed. I said to my husband, "I want to clean it before the soup dries in there, you guys keep playing."

When I was halfway through cleaning the stove, my son came to me and started crying/moaning clearly wanting attention. I looked around for my husband but he was nowhere to be found. I sang to my son and cleaned the stove at the same time. But now my hands were shaking from the tension because he was crying/screaming/moaning all day and I couldn't take it anymore.

Finally my husband came to the kitchen an hour later and asked why our son was crying. And I said to him "you left him alone where were you?" And he said "I was shaving my balls." dead serious. And I said "You couldn't wait for ten minutes? Was it that urgent?" And he blew up on me. Saying things along the lines of "I'm working all day to make money for you, you're at the house all day, I'm tired, Can't I do what I want when I want?"

And he's currently locked himself in the bedroom not letting me in. AITA here? Am I missing something?

P.s.My native language is not English so I apologize in advance if I named something wrong.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for telling my (30F) husband (33M) it's not the right time to shave his balls?

"God what a long loving day at work. I'm exhausted. Guess I'll just go unwind with a little scrote shave to take the edge off."

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"I'm working all day to make money for you, you're at the house all day, I'm tired, Can't I do what I want when I want?"

What do you mean I have a family that depends on me? This is bullshit!

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
About the school snack issue; when you are disabled you run into a lot of piece of poo poo teachers that resent you for "special" treatment. I had one that would get salty about me leaving class for physical therapy. I had to dictate answers to an aide when writing became too much for me to manage so my pysch teacher called me out in front of class and accused me of having my aid do the work for me. Even had an algebra teacher refuse to accept my homework at the beginning of class or give me the assignments at the end, because I arrived a couple minutes late and left a couple early since I couldn't drive through the packed halls when classes changed.

Some see a disabled child and think "this little bastard has it too easy." I had enough confidence to lay into them also knew my mom would have my back, but a lot of kids end up getting steamrolled by these pricks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He was actively trying to develop nuclear weapons in Germany in the 1930s and 1940s, did they just skip that part?

If it makes you feel any better (it shouldn't), he was rehabilitated by West Germany like most Nazis.

Where it is good to stick to your principles, it's uncertain how fast you can expect people to hold when their primary information is his importance to physics and nothing else.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Do your physics classes normally include history? Is there a section in my General Relativity textbook for Einstein's patent office work? Do lessons on Feynmann diagrams take time to explain that he was an insufferable narcissist whose only redeeming quality was being right?

I can't speak for OP but all of my quantum physics courses, including QFT, came with a good amount of historical detail. In fact all of my upper division and graduate courses did, these details were often the most interesting part of the lectures and helped put the discoveries (or the flubs) in their proper context, otherwise you're just memorizing a bunch of weird equations and the circumstances in which to apply them. Our QFT book did not describe Feynman as a narcissist when it began describing Feynman diagrams, but it did explain what was going on in his professional life and in the larger community at the time.

I don't think most people take General Relativity, but I did (it was an elective), and our textbook did include a blurb about Einstein working in a patent office. Why wouldn't it?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

quote:

he goes to my mother-in-law to help her with the gardening (they have olive garden)

That's nice but I don't know what their dinner plans have to do with gardening

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Drunk fiancée (36)flooded hotel room

It's not he "fell asleep" it's he passed out.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Sodium Chloride posted:

It's not he "fell asleep" it's he passed out.

He's probably assuming the shower will sober him up (it won't) and then passes out again.

That or he's got a deep need to sit under a waterfall that he can't repress when drunk.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Barry Bluejeans posted:

That's nice but I don't know what their dinner plans have to do with gardening

In comments, it turns out they have an olive orchard that is the sole support for his bedridden father, as well as his mother and sisters.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

I got lucky. It was strangely awesome when I got disabled in high school 'cause I got the elevator keys and whomever was with me carrying my stuff got a couple extra minutes to get to class so a lot of people suddenly wanted to help (see also: smart travelers on airplanes who will carry my stuff for priority seating). I'm not stupid. I took full advantage of that. The teachers were all very cool, and I got to use the weight room alone for physical therapy.

When it came to my learning disabilities, though, nobody really gave a poo poo.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not letting my gf have access to my finaces

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together 3 years and have a 1.5 year old. I'm the only one with a job right now, and its not a high paying one either. I did get a credit card last year to try and better my credit score, but I accumulated a bit of debt over the winter using it for Bill's and whatever the family needed.

It's the last thing I feel like I have any control of currently and I just want to be able to take care of the financial stuff myself. She says it's a huge red flag that I dont show her the accounts. In my opinion i think she just dosent trust me and thinks I'm paying for adult related online sites (which im not, I dont have the money to eat more than 1 meal a day let alone pay for only fans stuff)

My work also slowed down the last 2 months so money in was a bit less than a normal busy month which didnt help. I told her I put all my tax returns into paying it and that I have about $2500 left to pay off currently, and that my goal is to get rid of it by summer. She was upset by the number and now says she has to see the accounts and that I'm wrong for not doing so. Other couples she reads about online share accounts and passwords. Yet I'm being unreasonable and suspicious because I dont want to give her acess to my accounts and then have her tell me how to spend my money better and how I did wrong getting items that were not 100% important in her eyes (small treats for things under $10 usually. Sometimes more for the baby)

AITA?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, the misogyny in particular stinks like a manure pile.
AITA for forbidding my daughter from speaking anything other than English in my house?

"I told her she couldn't stay under my roof if she spoke Spanish, and she moved out from under my roof. I AM BEING UNFAIRLY ABUSED."

Okay, fine. He has a right to know everything that goes on in his house?

He gets to hear the details of your period.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

guy's post history is him spending a lot of money on legos, a hobby that is only slightly less financially ruinous then owning horses.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Evil Willow posted:

This post is 10 sentences long and there are, by my count, 8 points at which I said "holy poo poo, this guy is a stone cold idiot"

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

"God what a long loving day at work. I'm exhausted. Guess I'll just go unwind with a little scrote shave to take the edge off."
My silky-smooth balls keep food on this table!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This GF is 100% goign to do a bunch of dumb poo poo if they have access to his funds, or is a massive control freak and either way it's time to sever and avoid the disaster if they marry.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for telling my sister to not come to my wedding because of her outfit choice?

quote:

I (24F) and my fiance (28M) are having our wedding at the end of April. We pretty much have everything taken care of at this point and everything planned amazingly. It's going to be a wedding of 100, and it's going to be a outdoor wedding. The venue is amazing, going to be barn type place and it's close and no one has to go on a road trip to get here.

The issue is yesterday, my sister (22F) and I were talking about my wedding and the conversation of her outfit came up. She was showing me on her phone the outfit she already bought that she's gonna wear to my wedding. It was a tuxedo. I asked her if she was seriously going to wear that, and she said yes. I told her calmly, that I would like for her to wear a different outfit and what she's planning on wearing is going to make everyone stare at her. She disagreed and said she think it'll be awesome and for me "to not get mad if she wore it anyways at your wedding" the thing is, my finance's family are quite traditional, and I would rather not want my sister to argue with anyone at my wedding that could happen. After back and forthing with her I eventually told her to not come to my wedding.

This resulted in a huge argument between us both, and she kept telling me that I'm her sister and I should be okay with what anything she'd wear, and that the wedding shouldn't just be about the bride and groom. She eventually left, and has been ignoring me and the word got to my parents and my mom said to me that I should just let her wear the tux to my wedding, it's no big deal and it's harsh that I'd just straight up not allow her to show up. My fiance agrees with me, but now my sister and mom are pissed off at me. AITA?

Hand that tried to feed me twice is much nicer than braised beef cheek!

AITA for not eating dinner my girlfriend cooked?

quote:

My (27F) girlfriend (29F) is a great home cook/baker. I eat everything she makes with zero complaints. Today she spent about seven hours cooking braised beef cheek while I worked for several hours.

I’ve never eaten beef cheek before, and she warned me it’d look a bit different compared to normal beef due to the muscles and all. When she started to pull it apart, it was grey on the inside and so off putting. I gave her a very disinterested face and was less than enthused and I can tell she was a bit hurt I wasn’t more excited about it. I tried some, It tasted exactly like meat you’d put in shepherds pie and I said she went through a lot of effort for little reward.

After that she got quiet and started eating a very small plate of the beef cheek and sides. I went back to working in the same room. By the time I looked up at her, she was packing up the dinner into leftover boxes and cleaning dishes. I got upset by her reaction and headed off to bed without eating.

20 minutes later she comes into the bedroom with a burger and some croquettes that she cooked for me but I told her I wasn’t hungry and was going to bed. When she heard that, she gave her dog my burger and has ignored me since.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Back from a hard day at the ball-modeling factory, and this is the thanks I get!

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

pentyne posted:

guy's post history is him spending a lot of money on legos, a hobby that is only slightly less financially ruinous then owning horses.

I hear the bottom has fallen out of the Funko market and Funko had to send a large
part of their inventory to a landfill.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for not eating dinner my girlfriend cooked?

My girl comes into my room with a stack of lunchables and you best believe I'm selling that as Michelin Star quality in appreciation. She tries a dish then comes to you later with a loving burger and you're "eh?"

Acid vat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for acting crazy and spouting conspiracy theories to get my sister to stop including me in her videos.

quote:

My (19 M) sister (21 F) is a "social media chef" on tiktok and youtube. I still live with my parents while going to college, while sis lives with some friends about a 10-minute drive away. Even though she does not live here, she comes over 2-3 times a week to film for hours in my parent's kitchen. She will make lunch and dinner for my parents and me, but she insists that she includes us in her videos. I'm not comfortable with this for a variety of reasons. One of these being her fans have made comments about me that I find highly inappropriate and I don't like.

I've asked my sister multiple times to please edit me out of her videos, or not film me at all. She's told me multiple times she would stop but still includes me in her videos and goes out of her way to still try and film me. my parents have also told her to stop, but they don't see any harm in what she's doing so they have taken a passive role in this.

A few months ago, a graphic designer friend of mine offered to make me some "not safe for youtube" shirt designs for me to order from her and I did. It gave me the idea to start acting a bit unhinged and inappropriate for the platform she's trying to make. Nothing of this is inappropriate, mind you. I'm not trying to offend. Most of what I'm doing is conspiracy theory shitposting. My parents even find it entertaining and my father has joined in as well as he also is a bit tired of being filmed.

Apparently earlier this week, I got my sister's accounts suspended. One of the shirts I got made has a picture of Ted Kaczynski with the word "Hero" under it, and when she was streaming Monday she turned the camera on me to ask me a question. I told her to stop and she continued. While wearing the shirt I said "Pay attention, people. Covid was created to hide the truth of 9/11." My sister got mad and shooed me away (despite coming to me and trying to film me) and just continued to be annoying in the kitchen. Last night she called my parents up mad because her streaming account got suspended because of me. She also got multiple videos of me wearing that same shirt flagged, putting her youtube account in jeopardy and preventing her from uploading to it for 14 days.

My parents just told her "we told you so" but I got into an argument with her on the phone. I fully believe she is in the wrong for filming me, but I learned that this might completely destroy what she's been building for 2 years now. Despite the filming me issue, I actually am now wondering if ruining her chance at this being her career makes me a giant rear end in a top hat?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Some fun estranged parent Missing Missing Reasons energy in this one:

AITA for referring to my son’s wedding reception as a BBQ?

quote:

My son and his partner, both of whom are in their early 40’s, were married on Friday. They decided to have a very simple courthouse wedding with only a select few close family members in attendance followed by a backyard BBQ reception at their home with more friends and extended family invited.

Leading up to their event I had misplaced the date a couple times as my phone calendar has been acting up and not syncing with my computer which was the device I had used to input their wedding. Due to this I had a few times accidentally went to make other plans for this weekend before being corrected. Erroneously I responded I had forgotten about their little BBQ get together and I would change my other plans. Again, my phone calendar has not been populating from my computer. Additionally, unlike with my daughters wedding where I was very involved, my son and his partner wanted everything to be understated and simple and so I had no involvement in planning. They have been partners close to twenty years at this point and I consider them basically married for all intents and purposes.

I am finding, however, now that the event is over, my daughter has told me she didn’t like the way I spoke about the wedding or reception. In particular she did not like that I referred to their party as a BBQ apparently. I find that since their father and I divorced that all the fault lies with me in my children’s eyes. I wasn’t aware of any offense, but my son will never tell me when he is upset and prefers to more or less ignore me half of the time. I’m still not sure what social faux pas I’ve made with the younger crowd this time, perhaps nothing and my family in particular is sensitive. Of course, I will apologize to my son if he took any offense.
I accidentally misplaced the date of my child's wedding multiple times and my phone calendar just kept mysteriously booking other things for that date! Sometimes things just happen like that, OK?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FMguru posted:

Some fun estranged parent Missing Missing Reasons energy in this one:

AITA for referring to my son’s wedding reception as a BBQ?

I accidentally misplaced the date of my child's wedding multiple times and my phone calendar just kept mysteriously booking other things for that date! Sometimes things just happen like that, OK?

I also kept forgetting that it was a wedding reception and not just a random party. Those young'uns are just so inscrutable.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
This is how OP remembered:

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for throwing away an important key?

quote:

I (16f) work at a local family owned store, it's like grocery mixed with a restaurant, it's pretty big and gets a lot of business.

Our supervisor is the owner's son (18m), he's always been nice, but I would never go to him if I needed help with something or even just talk to him, because I'm not really comfortable around males. All of us who work here are teenagers, aside from the owners of course, so I just ask one of the girls.

The store was closed yesterday, all my coworkers went in, ordered pizza, and just hung out and watched Netflix all day. I wasn't told. It was the owner's son who organized it and invited everyone.

I was upset that I wasn't invited, and asked him about it during my next shift, he just said “you avoid me and all the other guys, the rest of us are friends”

While there's multiple keys to the store, there's only one key to the kitchen. I threw it away. They had a big catering order to make, along with regular customers. His parents looked at the cameras to find it and saw me, they're really upset with me, but not their son. AITA?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Evil Willow posted:

Unless there’s some major pieces of information missing here, yes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

Firstly, he works at a deli, we have a word for that. Secondly, "i acted out of spite, am i spiteful?"

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

His parents looked at the cameras to find it and saw me, they're really upset with me, but not their son. AITA?
Hard to imagine why they're pissed at the person who stole the key, threw it away, costing them a couple hundred bucks for a locksmith plus hundreds more for the lost business.

:iiam: because really that's perfectly equivalent to the son not inviting OP to eat pizza.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

By upset do they mean they are now jobless and this story told to everyone else the owners know?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

But they didn't get invited for pizza. Why isn't anyone correcting that injustice, huh???

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't know why but I can't stop laughing at that one. And

well why not posted:

Firstly, he works at a deli, we have a word for that. Secondly, "i acted out of spite, am i spiteful?"

didn't help.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Unless there’s some major pieces of information missing here, yes

I'm wondering if there is some missing cultural or personal baggage here like maybe him and his friends are creepy teenagers and they live somewhere young women are just expected to endure unwanted male attention.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm wondering if there is some missing cultural or personal baggage here like maybe him and his friends are creepy teenagers and they live somewhere young women are just expected to endure unwanted male attention.

We call it Earth.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

Look, if they didn't want dudes leering at them, they wouldn't be women, right?

AITA for refusing to clean up after my girlfriend even though she was upset?

quote:

I’ve been with my girlfriend for 2 years and she’s always had irregular periods, she has some sort of hormonal imbalance meaning her periods are apparently more difficult

She’d been complaining her period was late, by like a little over a month.

Editing to add, because I don’t want this to be biased, we’ve been together 2 years, during that time she’s occasionally had periods that last two months/had a period twice a month etc. she’s been doctors, I’ll say no much more as I’m not looking for medical advice.

In the past when she’s been on her period she has bled over bedding/the sofa/the floor and she says it’s because it’s a heavy flow, she’s sometimes in a lot of discomfort so she’s asked me to clean it up.

I got home yesterday and it was like everywhere I can’t even explain how bad it was, I don’t know how she managed it, she said it was heavier because it was late.

I told her I wouldn’t be tidying up and went to bed, I’d had a really long day my dad is sick, so I had to spend time comforting my mother which in itself was hard but then I spent the day on my feet being yelled at by customers…she was obviously upset, but there’s usually discomfort when her period starts so it’s not unusual. (I did get out the heated blanket for her and some pain meds)

Today I apologised to her for assuming she was going to ask, she said “I was…” so I said “oh, not as sorry then because I wasn’t going to tidy it” to which she stormed out, told me “I should understand by now that she struggles occasionally and I need empathy” I said she needs to learn she has them enough that she should be the one to clean up after herself….we’re not speaking right now.

AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sorry I was trying not to single out Italian men but gently caress it just pretend I said Italian men.