Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
as someone who identifies as ace it's always hard for me to know where i stand on seeing myself represented. like obviously tons of games never mention sex, or games which do always have characters who aren't involved in those conversations so you can headcanon them, but that's not really the same thing right? but also because there's so many of those characters that it seems like... idk, selfish to want it explicitly canonized considering how much less other lgbt folk have on that front a lot of the time. like is Hildibrand in ffxiv ace representation because no one in that storyline knows what sex is? what about Robb in Chained Echoes?

i'm mostly talking to myself and don't really want answers but even bringing it up feels very indulgent. i think what inspired me to mention it at all was endorph talking about queer joy, for me a lot of my identity as an ace person isn't just not caring about sex - it's the uncomfortable feeling you get sometimes when everyone around you is talking about loving when you just want to watch the drat movie, or the silly ignorance of not even realizing when someone made an innuendo, or the joy of trolling and saying "the warrior of light is ace" and pissing the catfuckers off, or whatever. and i definitely don't see that very often if at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
excited for "friends of dorothy" to have common use after feels villeneuve popularizes it again

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Whirling posted:

LGBT romances in WRPGs are so important because the dudes they try to get you with in WRPGs if you play a woman are so dire.

tbf some of the straight romances dudes get are kind of uncomfortable too. lots of really bad romances all around, in western rpgs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Friends of dorothy, the rich lesbian from gundam wing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

excited for "friends of dorothy" to have common use again

the actress responsible for the old-school lesbian term "sewing circle" once produced a version of Oscar Wilde's Salome which, it was strongly rumored for years, had an all-gay cast, including the extras

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

sadly people already struggled with gay women doing war crimes in fire emblem three houses

I'm reminded of some of the handwringing online about the movie Tar, but that's a discussion for the monhun thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

Friends of dorothy, the rich lesbian from gundam wing

all these years later and I'm still in awe of how powerful her eyebrows are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

tbf some of the straight romances dudes get are kind of uncomfortable too. lots of really bad romances all around, in western rpgs.
Regrettably giving saints row a good joke award for the romance option that goes 'i dont normally swing that way, but sure,' regardless of your characters gender

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the actress responsible for the old-school lesbian term "sewing circle" once produced a version of Oscar Wilde's Salome which, it was strongly rumored for years, had an all-gay cast, including the extras

that is cool, always love hearing about this stuff

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

in kuro no kiseki there's a hot spring scene with two dudes and one puts on a feminine act, stroking his hair seductively, and the other one tells him to quit it and he says "ok but did I get you hard tho?"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly at this point i dunno if i think much of any kind of rpg romance between like, a primarily silent protag and another character. stuff like soul nomad kinda edges in cause the few lines revya gets tend to be pretty good, i feel like it says something how a lot of the most fondly remembered romances in terms of actual writing in some games are ones where the main character themself has a solid dynamic with the character you're romancing

Endorph posted:

Regrettably giving saints row a good joke award for the romance option that goes 'i dont normally swing that way, but sure,' regardless of your characters gender

sriv managed to make a romance joke that actually will stand the text of time for how explicitly it's making fun of cheap western rpg romances and not really anything else

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

The Colonel posted:

I think it's half uncomfortable straight relationships as a woman, half unbelievably boring men. Like, Christ, no I am not going to hook up with Kaidan Alenko, I'm sorry.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
im not sure if im reading too much gay tension in the interactions between gig and the MC or if it's just a case where there is some kind of *academic voice* queerness in the idea of a domineering, arrogant dude threatening to take over your body

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think i killed both kaidan and the other one on two separate playthroughs as male and female shep specifically because i didn't want to hook up with anyone in me1

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

im not sure if im reading too much gay tension in the interactions between gig and the MC or if it's just a case where there is some kind of *academic voice* queerness in the idea of a domineering, arrogant dude threatening to take over your body

given gig's ending and how the game's already kinda written to prioritize female revya i'd say it's very much something the writing is playing into a little. kinda the fate/extra thing where you can argue it's just cause they wrote the game with one gender option in mind but, the existence of the other option and what specific ways the script is changed between both or, unchanged, makes it clear they considered that anyway and rolled with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Female protag is canon so its probably a case of it being written with that in mind and spilling over a bit to male protag.

Though Vitali is definitely gay coded so i doubt it was like, accidental

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
my best "am i reading queer poo poo into movies where it doesnt belong" moment was watching breaking away, a film where a high school kid starts talking different, dressing different, in a way that is completely against the norms of a relatively conservative town in Indiana to the consternation of his family, and also his dad walks in on him shaving his legs.

except in this case it is that he becomes obsessed with Italian culture, and cycling

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is apparently one of the more controversial outlooks but i think even just like. being able to read anything into a character or script and never having that flat-out denied in any way is a pretty valid approach that has its own value. one i could understand being a bit more bitter with when more explicit writing was harder to come by but i don't mind just rolling with text that isn't being overly explicit about stuff in specific ways nowadays

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The absence of something can also be its presence.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Arknights has a billion romantically-coded same-sex relationships, but the only explicitly gay character is Scavenger for some reason.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
breaking away is a certified feels villeneuve classic btw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Arknights has a billion romantically-coded same-sex relationships, but the only explicitly gay character is Scavenger for some reason.
i can think of a few reasons why a chinese game might wanna make the only explicit gay character a fairly minor one with not a ton of story focus, tbh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think a smaller but funny example of this is how the agetec tls for armored core have a tendency to specify a gender for the player that i don't think exists in the jp text, at least not as i've seen since switching over with 3? so like realistically you can imagine anything about your raven you want. could imagine they're a weird super granny. there's a whole ton of female ravens across the series and some of them are the most interesting and memorable ones, one of the novels features a really butch one who looks like a genderbent amuro ray. armored core might honestly be one of the more even mecha series i can think of in terms of how it treats women in relation to big mecha fighting. just started silent line today and i like that the third arena combatant in the entire game is an amnesiac woman who entered into the arena to uncover her mysterious past, and the only reason she's ranked low is because every time she recovers a memory mid-fight it makes her pause mid-battle so her opponents just keep beating her before her flashbacks can end. lots of funny weird little ideas in armored core's characters that express a lot of personality i've come to love about them, it's an aspect i'd never seen people talk about before playing them and now it's like the crowning reason i love the series

i think i started with a point here but just ended up wanting to express how much i like armored core

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anyway what im hearing is to write or read gay soul nomad fanfic

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Endorph posted:

The absence of something can also be its presence.

i don't want to say "turnaround" but the gradual change in tone about miyazawa is neat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lessail posted:

i don't want to say "turnaround" but the gradual change in tone about miyazawa is neat
miyazawa's interview sucks rear end still sorry

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirara manga time: the absence of something can also be its presence
me: so true
miwazawa: i was the chair in that liz and the blue bird scene
me: police???

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

friend of dorothy the lilim from vallhalla

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*acadmeic voice* lacuna of queerness

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Okay I'm going to google miyazawa interview

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

The Colonel posted:

i think i started with a point here but just ended up wanting to express how much i like armored core

fair

I've not really ever looked at Armored Core somehow, like at all. All I know is that Fromsoft makes them and there hasn't been a game release in a decade but apparently one is coming out soon. Mecha's not usually my thing most of the time, but I really should look into it more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Runa posted:

update:

lmao wtf

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

miyazawa is a jp sci-fi author who made an interview where he talks about yuri manga/novels/etc

a lot of people clipped out excerpts from it to present him as a Woke King while ignoring the parts where he goes 'well, this scene didnt have any men in it, so obviously the 100% male audience was meant to project onto background objects,' or a lot of wondering if yuri actually 'needs lesbians,' and also the english tl of the interview entirely cut out the bit where he talks about which vtubers he wants to gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's some sort of interesting ideas poked at about subtext and how subtext can sometimes be more meaningful than raw text that i agree with but i think there's a lot of better ways of expressing it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You all have no idea how close you all were to Ubisoft trying to make their own Vtuber.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

people are also missing the context that miyazawa isnt just some guy spitballing he has ties to yuri sci-fi magazines/book labels and is consistently getting them to publish stuff that isnt really even lesbian-coded/subtextual and refers to people mad about this as 'yuri conservatives'

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Odd Wilson posted:

fair

I've not really ever looked at Armored Core somehow, like at all. All I know is that Fromsoft makes them and there hasn't been a game release in a decade but apparently one is coming out soon. Mecha's not usually my thing most of the time, but I really should look into it more.

they're cool though they definitely require you to be able to handle some old fromsoft jank or otherwise figure out how to set them up for ps3/360 emulation. the first three games + expansions are fun once you realize they're honestly way more fast paced and arcadey than they look and you can remap the camera controls to the face buttons to make moving and aiming easier, and bunnyhopping is like the default tactic for a two-legged ac. haven't played nexus but it's the first generation that supports analog control and seems to have kind of a mixed reception, ac4 is the latest that anyone seems to like and plays very different from the older ones, focusing a lot more on making fast-paced movement tech the default. have never heard good things about ac5

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Barudak posted:

You all have no idea how close you all were to Ubisoft making their own Vtuber.
the only official vtuber we need is the vtuber of mr. heart from hokuto no ken

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my opinion about the iori miyazawa interview is that i dont connect with any of it at all and i dont mind if people do but i have to see it brought back up like every month and i'm exhausted of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Endorph posted:

people are also missing the context that miyazawa isnt just some guy spitballing he has ties to yuri sci-fi magazines/book labels and is consistently getting them to publish stuff that isnt really even lesbian-coded/subtextual and refers to people mad about this as 'yuri conservatives'

yeah i always came at them like i stumbled upon his tumblr or something and lol'd at the responses and the internet poisoned energy they radiate