Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

my only issue is the heights of the characters. like i know its cartoon logic etc. but i think m and m are like toddler height arnt they? blizto is like 5 something and stolas is like 7. idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my only issue is the heights of the characters. like i know its cartoon logic etc. but i think m and m are like toddler height arnt they? blizto is like 5 something and stolas is like 7. idk.

That's what I'd figure? Loona's probably the only one of 'average' height.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

That's what I'd figure? Loona's probably the only one of 'average' height.

i mean its a cartoon and changes for a jokes but i am always curious.

but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa6fbOF3x8M

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

In the DHORKs episode (Truth Seekers I think is the actual name) Loona as a hellhound is actually taller than the humans but in human form appears to be the same height as them, as a hellhound she bends down to bite a human's head. Blitzo slouches/leans forwards because of body-shape (Loona does too tbh) and is maybe a head or two shorter than Loona. Moxxie and Millie are like, maybe a little bit shorter than Blitzo, and come across at about belly height on the humans so definitely not toddler, more like short/teen pre-teen.

Stolas meanwhile is super loving tall. But also their human disguises are clearly capable of not being the same height as their true forms (see Loona for one, but also Stolas again). So to be honest their "standard" height might not really be standard.

Based on what looks to be a potential canon Height Charts people are passing around/building, Stolas is anywhere from 7.5-9 foot tall, Loona is 6, Blitzo is 4.5-5.5 (and his horns take him up to 6) and Moxxie and Millie are about 4-4.5 each.

For what it's worth, Hazbin Hotel writers/word of god officially states Charlie is 6 foot tall, Alastor is 7, and Angel Dust is 8-9 and supposedly the same height as Stolas more or less. Actual Demons (human or natural) are tall as poo poo.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 22, 2023

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

In the DHORKs episode (Truth Seekers I think is the actual name) Loona as a hellhound is actually taller than the humans but in human form appears to be the same height as them, as a hellhound she bends down to bite a human's head. Blitzo slouches/leans forwards because of body-shape (Loona does too tbh) and is maybe a head or two shorter than Loona. Moxxie and Millie are like, maybe a little bit shorter than Blitzo, and come across at about belly height on the humans so definitely not toddler, more like short/teen pre-teen.

Stolas meanwhile is super loving tall. But also their human disguises are clearly capable of not being the same height as their true forms (see Loona for one, but also Stolas again). So to be honest their "standard" height might not really be standard.

Based on what looks to be a potential canon Height Charts people are passing around/building, Stolas is anywhere from 7.5-9 foot tall, Loona is 6, Blitzo is 4.5-5.5 (and his horns take him up to 6) and Moxxie and Millie are about 4-4.5 each.

For what it's worth, Hazbin Hotel writers/word of god officially states Charlie is 6 foot tall, Alastor is 7, and Angel Dust is 8-9 and supposedly the same height as Stolas more or less. Actual Demons (human or natural) are tall as poo poo.

Legs for dayz boys and I am hyped as gently caress my favorite ship is getting some attention finally. Ozzie/Fizz 4 lyfe

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

:goonsay: I am sorry but I disagree with the m and m height. They are like small kid sized compared to humans. Millie can fit in a backpack. Like I know that’s visual gags but idk. I mean I think the heights are about what I pictured about.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I’m glad you all enjoy the show but you’re thinking about this too much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I kinda want another fight scene like in DHORKS.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

I kinda want another fight scene like in DHORKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-AbKr4cFE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

I’m glad you all enjoy the show but you’re thinking about this too much.

Oh I know lol. I was mostly joking hence the :goonsay:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh I know lol. I was mostly joking hence the :goonsay:

If it helps re-watching DHORKS neither Moxxie nor Blitz's legs touch the ground while sitting in presumably human-sized chairs. It is not something I could un-notice at this point.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I always picture the imps as being the size of cats standing on their hind legs.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Blitz and Moxxie being short kings makes perfect sense

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

Blitz and Moxxie being short kings makes perfect sense

yeah, i mean blits is probably like 4 or 5 feet at most. loona is 6 something. idk i am just bored and its more fun then talking about whatever show WB shot in the head so velma or my name is sheriff could get another season.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I always picture the imps as being the size of cats standing on their hind legs.

thats what i kinda assume.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I saw this video linked in another thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wa5RxbG1s

I wound up watching Bless the Harts and it's...actually pretty good? Rough around the edges, sure, but I think it deserved more seasons. And at the other end of the quality spectrum I decided to dip into the TVIV archives to get second-hand experience of Allan Gregory, rather than risk direct exposure. It was still pretty :suspense: to read, though.

And then I went back through the original Bob's Burgers thread and it was weird to see some goons were hating on that when it first came out. It kind of makes me wonder if we've reached a point where that gap between The Simpsons and Family Guy is just another Death Slot now, because every show gets perceived as a placeholder, with Bob's Burgers the exception that proves the rule. Obviously some of those shows deserved to get canned, but maybe some might be worth giving another try.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I saw this video linked in another thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-wa5RxbG1s

I wound up watching Bless the Harts and it's...actually pretty good? Rough around the edges, sure, but I think it deserved more seasons. And at the other end of the quality spectrum I decided to dip into the TVIV archives to get second-hand experience of Allan Gregory, rather than risk direct exposure. It was still pretty :suspense: to read, though.

And then I went back through the original Bob's Burgers thread and it was weird to see some goons were hating on that when it first came out. It kind of makes me wonder if we've reached a point where that gap between The Simpsons and Family Guy is just another Death Slot now, because every show gets perceived as a placeholder, with Bob's Burgers the exception that proves the rule. Obviously some of those shows deserved to get canned, but maybe some might be worth giving another try.

Bless the Harts had some real good King of the Hill energy, and it would have been nice to see it get at least another season or two (if not more) because it was clearly made by people who loved the characters they were writing for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s a drat crime the Close Enough’s Offspring episode only had Pretty Fly For A White Guy licensed. I get why they only went for one and that one but come on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSuajHpF9Eo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox is apparently super hot on Dan Harmon's new show, Krapopolis as they've already ordered 3 seasons before it has aired. Not a good sign is that it has NFT related tie ins.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Fox is apparently super hot on Dan Harmon's new show, Krapopolis as they've already ordered 3 seasons before it has aired. Not a good sign is that it has NFT related tie ins.

Not shocking, they want themselves a big cultural juggernaut like Rick and Morty so why not just hire the Rick and Morty guy?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deadline article posted:

‘Krapopolis’ Could Spawn Next Homer Simpson, Bob Belcher Or Peter Griffin, Says Fox Scripted Boss.

Sure, okay. Why not? It might also spawn the next Bender the Robot or or Optimus Prime or Top Cat!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

The NFT aspect is extremely disappointing, but I think it's also that Fox really really needs to have their own stuff because Disney now owns all of what they used to have. It's also why they gave a development deal to the Great North's creators.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Aggretsuko continues to be a fun show with low-key awful politics. In previous seasons the problem was a satire of work culture that ultimately reaffirms every aspect of the status quo but this season all that is back-burnered in favor of politics humor that is clearly terrified of discussing something political. A good chunk of the season revolves around [redacted] running for office but ideology, policies, or even the vaguest sense of how this character would want to change things is never mentioned. It all has a very Andrew Yang Forward party vibe to it and I hate it so much.

Also I swear to god if this show tries to redeem Haida’s family I will loose my poo poo. :argh:

E: Done with the season. LMAO the bad guy wins the election by proposing literally the only policy mentioned all season where people over 65 would be barred from office. I think the show thinks this is a good idea and the solution to Japan’s problems? It’s a fantastic example of how fascism wins over empty centrist bullshit. It’s a shame the show’s not self aware enough to realize how insightful this is.

Also, God damnit I KNEW they’d try and redeem Hydra’s brother. Well gently caress you show, I still hate him!:argh::argh::argh:

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 5, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only thing I know about Japanese politics is that they should still be reeling from their former leader (retired because of butt problems) getting assassinated for his association with a weird cult.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
With the whatchamacallit 9000, no less

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only thing I know about Japanese politics is that they should still be reeling from their former leader (retired because of butt problems) getting assassinated for his association with a weird cult.

Japan collectively watched that happen and was like “…yeah ok, makes sense”. It was very funny.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

mutantIke posted:

With the whatchamacallit 9000, no less

Yeah, I know, Jimmy Neutron assassinating Japan's former prime minister because he was part of a cult that drove his mother to bankruptcy certainly wasn't on my 2022 bingo card but, welp, here we are.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey, did you know there's a Saudi Arabian cartoon on Netflix called Masameer County? Because I didn't until yesterday. It's actually been around since like 2011 as a webseries, but recently it's been given a reboot with much better animations and now two seasons with a full English language dub are available for your viewing pleasure.

So what's it like? Well, have you ever wanted to see what South Park or Family Guy would be like if it was made by the Coen brothers? Because that's really the only way to describe it. It was a lot of crude humor, which I was expecting from the art style, but it also has these episodes with really intricate plot lines and dry humor that made me feel like I was watching Fargo or Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? It also has some surprisingly ambitious animation, like every so often there's some really neat cinematography that you normally don't see in animated adult comedy shows.

I don't think this'll be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're interested in seeing an animated comedy about modern Saudi Arabian culture with dark but well-written humor then this is the show you've been waiting for.

Best episode: "Clearance" (season 2) If you only watch one episode of this show have it be this one. It's the one that's the most "Cohen brothers" and the least "South Park".

Second best Episodes: "Lapis" (season 1) and "Elevator Pitch" (Season 2)

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 5, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo. I didn't realize that S5 was just straight up the last season of Aggretsuko. Getting strong "we were told after the season was almost done that we were cancelled so we hastily wrapped everything up" vibes. For example, there's a random shot at the end of Retsuko's parents suddenly being OK with Haida despite her father's lack of acceptance being built up as a serious long-term conflict and literally NOTHING happening that would change their mind. They didn't approve of Retsuko participating in the election either so I can't see her losing in a landslide improving relations much. Then there was the fact that Hyda's brother quite clearly tried to have him maimed with a garbage truck and Hyda outright said it had to be him in the moment. Then at the end his brother walks up to him and says "yeah just wanted to let you know that wasn't me" and Hyda's suddenly shifted to "Yeah I know, you're not actually a bad guy" which is, um, not supported by the fact that earlier in the season he evicted his own brother into the streets and was nothing but viciously cruel to him literally every chance he got.

Also, now that the series is officially finished I'm struggling to figure out what I'm supposed to take away from it beyond "Stay in your lane, plebs". Retsuko either fails or is punished every time she tries to do something off the beaten path (Dating a billionaire, being a pop idol, and running for office to name the big ones.) and is rewarded/finds fulfillment when she works hard, listens to her mother, and makes choices in line with traditional values of working hard and becoming a housewife. And that's not even touching on some of the particularly weird aspects of the show like her sexist quite-literally-a-pig boss turning out to be a super cool guy who's behavior is excused ad being "old fashioned" and is never forced to change. The best I can piece together is some vague message about the importance of expressing yourself and being heard, which is fine I guess? But if that's the message then why did the show insist on having a stalker tank her idol career or having her loose the election? If the show is making a case for taking chances and trying new things it's doing a poor job of it.

I think the show's fatal flaw was that it pretends to talk about "the issues" when it's actually allergic to doing so. You'll hear people gripe about the 80's economy collapsing, greedy politicians, the unfair demands made on workers under capitalism, or the generational divide but these topics are never examined with any depth, no moral or ideological position is ever taken, and no actual solutions are ever proposed. The show frames the character's problems in a political light as being rooted in the challenges created by an imperfect society but then has these problems solved by adhering to norms imposed by the very society that created these problems in the first place. It's *very* obnoxious once you notice it and I think the show would have been better on every level had it not bothered with the political angles at all.

Oh well, it's over now. It can't hurt me anymore.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I gave up on the show after the way that plot with that crazy new employee was resolved. The points you made in your post make me feel like that was the best call.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Best episode: "Clearance" (season 2) If you only watch one episode of this show of the show have it be this one. It's the one that's the most "Cohen brothers" and the least "South Park".

Don't sleep on this. I’d be down for them to take that and spin it out into an entire series.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 5, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

readingatwork posted:

Aggretsuko continues to be a fun show with low-key awful politics. In previous seasons the problem was a satire of work culture that ultimately reaffirms every aspect of the status quo but this season all that is back-burnered in favor of politics humor that is clearly terrified of discussing something political. A good chunk of the season revolves around [redacted] running for office but ideology, policies, or even the vaguest sense of how this character would want to change things is never mentioned. It all has a very Andrew Yang Forward party vibe to it and I hate it so much.

Also I swear to god if this show tries to redeem Haida’s family I will loose my poo poo. :argh:

E: Done with the season. LMAO the bad guy wins the election by proposing literally the only policy mentioned all season where people over 65 would be barred from office. I think the show thinks this is a good idea and the solution to Japan’s problems? It’s a fantastic example of how fascism wins over empty centrist bullshit. It’s a shame the show’s not self aware enough to realize how insightful this is.

Also, God damnit I KNEW they’d try and redeem Hydra’s brother. Well gently caress you show, I still hate him!:argh::argh::argh:

Agreed with pretty much everything here. But age limits on public office are good and that one isn’t low enough.

The big take away from Aggretsuko is “being ground into dust by a broken society is fine as long as you get mad about it but not in a way that matters”

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

readingatwork posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't realize that S5 was just straight up the last season of Aggretsuko. Getting strong "we were told after the season was almost done that we were cancelled so we hastily wrapped everything up" vibes. For example, there's a random shot at the end of Retsuko's parents suddenly being OK with Haida despite her father's lack of acceptance being built up as a serious long-term conflict and literally NOTHING happening that would change their mind. They didn't approve of Retsuko participating in the election either so I can't see her losing in a landslide improving relations much. Then there was the fact that Hyda's brother quite clearly tried to have him maimed with a garbage truck and Hyda outright said it had to be him in the moment. Then at the end his brother walks up to him and says "yeah just wanted to let you know that wasn't me" and Hyda's suddenly shifted to "Yeah I know, you're not actually a bad guy" which is, um, not supported by the fact that earlier in the season he evicted his own brother into the streets and was nothing but viciously cruel to him literally every chance he got.

Also, now that the series is officially finished I'm struggling to figure out what I'm supposed to take away from it beyond "Stay in your lane, plebs". Retsuko either fails or is punished every time she tries to do something off the beaten path (Dating a billionaire, being a pop idol, and running for office to name the big ones.) and is rewarded/finds fulfillment when she works hard, listens to her mother, and makes choices in line with traditional values of working hard and becoming a housewife. And that's not even touching on some of the particularly weird aspects of the show like her sexist quite-literally-a-pig boss turning out to be a super cool guy who's behavior is excused ad being "old fashioned" and is never forced to change. The best I can piece together is some vague message about the importance of expressing yourself and being heard, which is fine I guess? But if that's the message then why did the show insist on having a stalker tank her idol career or having her loose the election? If the show is making a case for taking chances and trying new things it's doing a poor job of it.

I think the show's fatal flaw was that it pretends to talk about "the issues" when it's actually allergic to doing so. You'll hear people gripe about the 80's economy collapsing, greedy politicians, the unfair demands made on workers under capitalism, or the generational divide but these topics are never examined with any depth, no moral or ideological position is ever taken, and no actual solutions are ever proposed. The show frames the character's problems in a political light as being rooted in the challenges created by an imperfect society but then has these problems solved by adhering to norms imposed by the very society that created these problems in the first place. It's *very* obnoxious once you notice it and I think the show would have been better on every level had it not bothered with the political angles at all.

Oh well, it's over now. It can't hurt me anymore.

I felt the same way about Persona 5 where the overt theme is Society is broken and the adults are cruel monsters. But even though the Phantom Thieves actually have the power to change things every single one of the lessons is basically stay in your lane, its individuals not the system that's bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's such a weird rear end show. It feels to me like the biggest issue it has is that it keeps losing track of whether it wants to be about a goofy gimmick (cute Hello Kitty type character does DEATH METAL RAAAGH LMAO) or if that gimmick is actually just hinting at Big Important Issues that the writers aren't equipped to really tackle, but they try anyway because they think they've got something here. Like a porno that realizes it has a good story and tries to build itself into a bigger sociopolitical crossover phenomenon, Boogie Nights style, but then forgets that there is no such thing as that particular crossover audience.

It starts out making like it wants you to imagine there is a way to Matrix-smash your way out of capitalism by tapping into inner rage, but then it loses track of that thread so persistently and for so long that you realize by the end that it's completely forgotten to make any kind of hay out of what Restuko's singing actually accomplishes. Does it inspire anyone else to do anything? Does it even help her, long-term? Does it change her? Does it change anyone else's behavior? It doesn't seem to, not even Haida does more than pick up a guitar in a couple of cut scenes. Ultimately it feels like all it's saying is "find an outlet and use it to cope", like the minister in that one flashback in Preacher telling Arseface's mother that prayer will help her get by. "Get better, you mean?" "No, by"

But, y'know, cute hello kitty with RAARGH FACE LOL so I had to watch it to the end to see what, if anything, they did.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 6, 2023

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
God that ending left a bad ending taste in my mouth. Like way to waste my time with this drat show. Do you wanna change the goddamn status loving quo or not. Pick a goddamn lane.

edit: Echoing what the others said. Oh it wasn't his brother who hit him. Bullfuckingshit. He was being potrayed as a loving rear end in a top hat. Like good job the lovely rear end dad gets to feel his way was right. Way to go show.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I liked Aggretsuko but I kind of dropped off after season, three? The one with the Pop Idol plot.

I hated how both Haida and Retsuko's stories ended

Haida meeting another woman who he had much more in common with and ending up with her would have been better.

Not only would it have delivered a message that guys like Haida need to hear, namely "You can in fact always get "The girl" it's just that she's rarely the one you fixated on because she was nice to you once, so maybe try meeting other people."

But it would have tied into the theme of Retsuko sitting there passively because deep down she thinks all of her options and opportunities will always be there. So seeing that even Haida is moving on with his life would give her the kick too the rear end she needs to finally take a risk.

Speaking of which,

It's real cool how the show spent three seasons building up that Retsuko's real passion was singing and how she needed to take a risk, only to back hand her the instant she does in the cruelest most mean spirited way possible.

Again, I did like the show, it was funny and the characters were great, but at the end it was a show that liked to bring up how awful the status quo is, only to never risk breaking away from it.

NVTrainee
Jan 3, 2020
With Aggretsuko, I dropped it after being disappointed with Season 3's idol plot. Looking up spoilers on Season 4/5, I think I made the right call.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I haven't really watched Retsuko after season 2, but I think I get what they might've been getting at with the show. It reminds me of why I kinda checked out on Parks and Recreation in the later seasons. If you create a series based around characters having to learn to deal with the harsh world they live in and then keep sending them onward and upward, then by the end your series about living in a harsh world is about a bunch of superheroes who freely warp the world around them. At some point it turns into like a genre switch. It becomes a different kind of story.

So it makes sense for a series based around venting frustration and coping with the harsh world to refuse to let its characters fully escape that harsh world. Although the more convoluted it gets, the more that sabotages the intended relatability.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
New Helluva Boss this weekend!!! :woop: :toot:

https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1633003955109376000?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Thundercracker posted:

I felt the same way about Persona 5 where the overt theme is Society is broken and the adults are cruel monsters. But even though the Phantom Thieves actually have the power to change things every single one of the lessons is basically stay in your lane, its individuals not the system that's bad.
It's honestly not that different a message in 4, but luckily that one wasn't selling itself as a picaresque commentary on contemporary society.