Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

PRADA SLUT posted:

goon hivemind, I need some ideas for two starting classes for frosthaven

was thinking bannerspear/drifter and boneshaper

e: probably gonna be one boneshaper, was looking for the other class to balance it

Boneshaper and bannerspear is a killer combo. The extra summons makes the banners skills easier to hit and the banners tankiness saves some skellies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

goon hivemind, I need some ideas for two starting classes for frosthaven

was thinking bannerspear/drifter and boneshaper

e: probably gonna be one boneshaper, was looking for the other class to balance it

If you're gonna play Banner Spear in 2 player it'd be best to do it while you're also playing Boneshaper so that it's easier to hit those skills that depend on the positions of allies. Also there's a dedicated Gloom/Frosthaven thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840191

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

If you're gonna play this 2P, bannerspear will really appreciate boneshaper's skeletons for her formations.
Drifter is very easy to play and the most effective character out of the box. He'll work well in any comp.

e: alright I guess the frosthaven crew is on high alert today

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No one scheduled their frosthaven meet ups for Friday night so we're all just sitting at home jonesing

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Drunkenly met Quinns the other day, I acted like a total prick. He was a class act.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

day 1 of frosthaven tomorrow with da ladz - bannerspear, deathwalker, and blinkblade

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Buck Wildman posted:

day 1 of frosthaven tomorrow with da ladz - bannerspear, deathwalker, and blinkblade

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Whatīs a good, meaty 2 player game? Most recommendations / top 10 lists are all about small box games that last around 20 minutes. I want somethinger bigger, more involved. Could potentially support more players, as long as it's great at two, and no co-op or too euro.

I looked at Star Wars Rebellion, but thatīs out of stock locally. War of the Ring might be tooooo time consuming / complex for the other person.

Edit:
vvv That's still considered good? I have Undaunted already, which I never quite fell in love with, but Memoir seems like it has a better table presence.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 4, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

uncle blog posted:

Whatīs a good, meaty 2 player game? Most recommendations / top 10 lists are all about small box games that last around 20 minutes. I want somethinger bigger, more involved. Could potentially support more players, as long as it's great at two, and no co-op or too euro.

I looked at Star Wars Rebellion, but thatīs out of stock locally. War of the Ring might be tooooo time consuming / complex for the other person.

Memoir 44?

Edit: Also Summoner Wars, Undaunted, Watergate

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 4, 2023

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

uncle blog posted:

What´s a good, meaty 2 player game? Most recommendations / top 10 lists are all about small box games that last around 20 minutes. I want somethinger bigger, more involved. Could potentially support more players, as long as it's great at two, and no co-op or too euro.

I looked at Star Wars Rebellion, but that´s out of stock locally. War of the Ring might be tooooo time consuming / complex for the other person.

Edit:
vvv That's still considered good? I have Undaunted already, which I never quite fell in love with, but Memoir seems like it has a better table presence.

Imperium Classics/Legends? Wouldn't play at more than 2 though. Maybe Root with the hirelings? I'd say Arkham Horror LCG except you said no co-op.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tash Kalar is probably best in class here

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Unmatched, Summoner Wars, Solforge Fusion

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 4, 2023

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Napoleon's Triumph

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

taser rates posted:

Napoleon's Triumph

Guns of Gettysburg is also good.

Go.

I just saw SW: Rebellion used on the local Facebook swap ($70), but I got Oath instead, how funny is that?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

taser rates posted:

Napoleon's Triumph

I was assuming "acquirable". It's the right choice though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

I was assuming "acquirable". It's the right choice though.

Yeah I was going to say: Didn't that designer retire a little while back and close down their website? Same maker as Guns of Gettysburg, too.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah I was going to say: Didn't that designer retire a little while back and close down their website? Same maker as Guns of Gettysburg, too.

Yes, Rachel Simmons retired.

It's more that GoG has copies floating around, the upcoming Triomphe a Marengo will presumably have copies around...and NT is flat out impossible to get most places, and where someone is parting with a copy I'm sure it costs the universe.

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Dedicated 2p: Sekigahara. I like Wir sind das Volk but the rules are a bit fiddly. On the topic, what are people's thoughts on Hannibal & Hamilcar? I haven't gotten it do the table yet.
Plays more but good at 2p: Pax Pamir 2e, Inis

kalthir fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 4, 2023

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

uncle blog posted:

Whatīs a good, meaty 2 player game?

Spirit Island stays winning. Game scales incredibly well to 1-4 players and is maybe the best at 2 players.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Twilight Struggle? War of the Ring would have been my recommendation but I’m getting into block war games and they do the same things better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Go

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve enjoyed Shores of Tripoli as a hour or so 2p game

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
Paths of Glory

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yomi, the Japanese word for reading the mind of your opponent

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They are fairly solvable but Patchwork, Nova Luna, and Santorini are my top 1v1 games.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Played Dinosaur World for the first time. There were a lot of printed errors, and a bunch of clunky mechanics. I don't think we will be playing it again.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Speaking of Dinosaur games, how's Tiny Epic Dinosaurs? Not looking for a complex game, I just don't have any worker placement games at the moment

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
New York Zoo: Too fiddly with squeezing all those animal meeples on the polyomino pieces combined with the rotating action selection. It's a mess and so difficult to tell what's happening on other players' boards that it's not worth the effort. Isle of Cats is still the only polyomino game I enjoy.

Trekking Through History : Really good set collection / open drafting game. I really like the way historic moments provide the symbols that match their significance and how you're always going forwards in time. The best part is the time tracker; taking cards costs a certain amount of "time", so you move your pocketwatch up on the clock track. Whoever is furthest behind takes their turn, so it's never a question of whose turn it is. Our daughter was so excited to play it again that she woke us up early. That's never happened before. To play a game, I mean. She's woken us up early plenty of times.

There isn't much interaction. You can't really stop someone from taking a card; if you need it, chances are everyone else needs it to some degree also. But that doesn't stop it from being really fun. High production values on this one, too, and not just because we got the Kickstarter version.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Azran posted:

Speaking of Dinosaur games, how's Tiny Epic Dinosaurs? Not looking for a complex game, I just don't have any worker placement games at the moment

It was OK from what I remember. Better than Dinosaur World, but we enjoyed less than Tiny Epic Galaxies.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

LifeLynx posted:

New York Zoo: Too fiddly with squeezing all those animal meeples on the polyomino pieces combined with the rotating action selection. It's a mess and so difficult to tell what's happening on other players' boards that it's not worth the effort. Isle of Cats is still the only polyomino game I enjoy.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed with this one - wish Barenpark played five instead.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My copy of Stationfall arrived and we played a 5 player game on Sunday there. It's in that category of game I would call an 'experience generator' and it's a ton of fun. There is a lot of scope for bad feels in it if all your dudes are down but it actually plays out quite quickly and there's a lot of opportunity to do funny things even if they're not really that effective.

Conceptually the game works well, it's got a really strong theme and the different objectives of the different characters does create tension. We used a fully random setup for our first game on account of being exceptional gamers/idiots, and it ended up with some clones working with a space monkey dual wielding some wrenches to escape whilst a robotic lawyer and an engineer worked to kill everyone on board, or at least make sure they had the right paperwork. If you think Space station 13 the boardgame you're not too far away.

I do like that surviving is not needed for a victory. The Legal character gets points if no one gets of the station or if everyone who does escape has signed an NDA.

On the downside it seems it quite hard to get from under if you get downed, as you need someone to come heal you and as the game progresses there are fewer and fewer character on the board able to do that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Aramoro posted:

My copy of Stationfall arrived and we played a 5 player game on Sunday there. It's in that category of game I would call an 'experience generator' and it's a ton of fun. There is a lot of scope for bad feels in it if all your dudes are down but it actually plays out quite quickly and there's a lot of opportunity to do funny things even if they're not really that effective.

Conceptually the game works well, it's got a really strong theme and the different objectives of the different characters does create tension. We used a fully random setup for our first game on account of being exceptional gamers/idiots, and it ended up with some clones working with a space monkey dual wielding some wrenches to escape whilst a robotic lawyer and an engineer worked to kill everyone on board, or at least make sure they had the right paperwork. If you think Space station 13 the boardgame you're not too far away.

I do like that surviving is not needed for a victory. The Legal character gets points if no one gets of the station or if everyone who does escape has signed an NDA.

On the downside it seems it quite hard to get from under if you get downed, as you need someone to come heal you and as the game progresses there are fewer and fewer character on the board able to do that.

Good to hear it was mostly positive. My Character Dossier arrived mangled, so I'm waiting on a replacement before I pitch to my table. Very much looking at people's experiences with it now that it's in everybody's hands.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Has anyone tried the new Star Wars Deck building game?

Sinlaeshel
Apr 5, 2009

"I cannot speak English
because I am Japanese
"
Frosthaven update said shipping is 99% complete.

I am the 1% :mad:

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Finally won a round of Brass Birmingham by focusing on pottery. Was v fun. Nearly got denied it by another player using my beer though.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Sinlaeshel posted:

Frosthaven update said shipping is 99% complete.

I am the 1% :mad:

Same here. Be strong - this has to be our week.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
My buddy got his copy in December, and I only got mine a few weeks back. Be strong!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Decon posted:

Finally won a round of Brass Birmingham by focusing on pottery. Was v fun. Nearly got denied it by another player using my beer though.

Did you get L3 out in Canal? That's always been key to scoring high with pottery in my limited experience. Hard to deliver considering the two beer though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

CitizenKeen posted:

Good to hear it was mostly positive. My Character Dossier arrived mangled, so I'm waiting on a replacement before I pitch to my table. Very much looking at people's experiences with it now that it's in everybody's hands.

It was a blast I think, for the right group certainly.

I was trying to steal a jetpack off someone but I hadn't revealed yet so someone else bribed me to give my helmet away before bludgeoning me unconscious and rocket panting away to escape. That blew up my game but the character that escaped also didn't want to escape so blew up thier game as well. If you don't like weird things happening and running your chance to win its not the game for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Aramoro posted:

It was a blast I think, for the right group certainly.

I was trying to steal a jetpack off someone but I hadn't revealed yet so someone else bribed me to give my helmet away before bludgeoning me unconscious and rocket panting away to escape. That blew up my game but the character that escaped also didn't want to escape so blew up thier game as well. If you don't like weird things happening and running your chance to win its not the game for you.

Before I backed the two phrases I heard to describe the game were "tactical intrigue" and "a party game for board game nerds". I know there are games like FCM where you can lose on the first turn. Given how this game has so little randomization, I'm curious how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's a cutthroat tactical game" and how much it's "you can be eliminated early because it's an experience generator."