Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

cat botherer posted:

It clears my head, makes me calmer, and helps my focus. I have an actual disorder, which you apparently don't think is even real. It's not a loving performance enhancing drug any more than albuterol is.

But it does this to essentially everyone, it's why it's so commonly abused. It also took years to figure out that albuterol wasn't performance enhancing in common forms and iirc it's still debated and somewhat restricted as to dose in a lot of sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

cat botherer posted:

It's great getting told your mental health problems aren't real. I love it.

Come on now, I'm sure slurm has expansive medical knowledge and is a real life doctor and totally not a fat piece of poo poo who can't see his own feet

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

slurm posted:

It's insanely hosed that your employer sets expectations that can't be met without PEDs, yes. I'm sorry that this is how your workplace operates but I'm opposed to this becoming increasingly common.

Didn't really feel like you were out of line until this post. It's not a PED for people with ADHD like an SSRI wouldn't be a PED for someone suffering from depression. It's more of a stabilizer. More than work performance its just life performance. Taking care of chores, responsibilities etc.

There's an anxiety, helplessness and self loathing that comes with a lifetime of feeling like you cant do basic things that other people take in stride.

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 6, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Uriah Heep posted:

I don't really get withdrawal for more than a day, and once I'm off my days feel much more emotionally rich. poo poo flattens me out, especially by the end of the day I'm a zombie and it affects my relationships, but I still take it. Also I'm on Dexmethylphenidate and haven't had issues refilling.

Been thinking about trying Wellbutrin tho, sick of all the poo poo that comes with amphetamines.

wellbutrin can give you panic attacks and psychosis too if you're lucky

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

slurm posted:

But it does this to essentially everyone, it's why it's so commonly abused. It also took years to figure out that albuterol wasn't performance enhancing in common forms and iirc it's still debated and somewhat restricted as to dose in a lot of sports.
Asthma isn't actually real. Mostly just in people's heads. I think it's sick that we have a society that sticks children on performance-enhancing drugs like albuterol if their bronchial tubes don't adhere to the mainstream's ridiculous standards of air flow.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Uriah Heep posted:

Didn't really feel like you were out of line until this post. It's not a PED for people with ADHD like an SSRI wouldn't be a PED for someone suffering from depression. It's more of a stabilizer. More than work performance its just life performance. Taking care of chores, responsibilities etc.

I'm not debating that there is a legitimate medical use and I think that this should be left to real doctors who actually know their patients in conjunction with therapy, which is pretty much my blanket stance on everything because I'm not a doctor.

But it's also obvious to me that it needs to be tightly controlled to prevent it from becoming basically mandatory in the workplace, because the short term performance enhancement in people without any medical issues creates hosed up incentives, like those jobs where basically everyone has to wear a diaper not because of any official policy but because they're squeezed into not taking breaks. The employer isn't mandating or even providing diaps and piss jugs but they know what they're doing and don't give a gently caress.

The glut of shoddy prescribing between 2020 and 2022 probably set us a lot farther down the bad road to this poo poo becoming as unofficially mandatory in other settings as it is at top schools.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

I'm not debating that there is a legitimate medical use and I think that this should be left to real doctors who actually know their patients in conjunction with therapy, which is pretty much my blanket stance on everything because I'm not a doctor.

But it's also obvious to me that it needs to be tightly controlled to prevent it from becoming basically mandatory in the workplace, because the short term performance enhancement in people without any medical issues creates hosed up incentives, like those jobs where basically everyone has to wear a diaper not because of any official policy but because they're squeezed into not taking breaks. The employer isn't mandating or even providing diaps and piss jugs but they know what they're doing and don't give a gently caress.

The glut of shoddy prescribing between 2020 and 2022 probably set us a lot farther down the bad road to this poo poo becoming as unofficially mandatory in other settings as it is at top schools.
gently caress off back to D&D with this concern trolling

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

slurm posted:

Dude, shut the gently caress up, nobody likes you or wants you posting here

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

slurm posted:

Okay, now this is just derailing and encouraging slap fights. Stop.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

slurm posted:

Yeah I think this is true, thanks Cerebral for starting this whole mess and probably getting a whole lot of young people with no actual medical need hooked on it

slurm posted:

Idk what the disease specific legitimate use or whatever so if you actually need this and it works in reverse in your brain or whatever I'm not talking about that
ah, so you agree that this is putting a needless strain on people who have a legitimate medical use for it, which you do not understand and are making no effort to understand?
then you must feel bad for those people, and as such will make a conscious effort not to antagonize random strangers on the baseless assumption that they do not belong to that group, and must instead be part of the crowd of people that you assume must exist that do not have a legitimate medical use for it? thank you, I'm glad that you are going to stop doing that

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, now this is just derailing and encouraging slap fights. Stop.
This is some weak-rear end moderating. Pathetic.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Uriah Heep posted:

I know worker rights is a lol but can your boss fire you for something like this? I mean actually going to court is probably not worth it, but if your back is against the wall a threat might give you leverage. I'm assuming your boss is maybe not so understanding of your temporary problem.

it’s more that my job is basically impossible for someone with unmedicated adhd rather than something that could be worked around with accommodations. hell i wouldn’t even want to keep this job even if i could force them to not fire me. it requires a ton of multitasking to a degree that it’d be basically impossible if i’m not on meds.

quote:

I'm not sure why your meds so expensive? Even when I didn't have insurance I paid 35 bucks for a 30 day supply of dexmethylphenidate (generic for Focalin), I think I used a coupon on GoodRX.

im on XRs which my insurance in their infinite wisdom says is just the same as taking two IRs through the day so they won’t cover any of it. it used to be pretty cheap even without insurance covering it but the price has skyrocketed in the past few months

quote:

Edit: maybe I'm denigrating the meds too much because of my experiences. Mindfulness and exercise are fantastic and will help, but if you still need meds in addition that's normal and there's nothing wrong with that.

i went through a year of therapy in an attempt of finding non-pharmaceutical treatment. i really wish i would have gone with the meds earlier because they work. my aversion to wanting to try drugs was because of posts like yours and others itt. adhd isn’t something you can therapy your way out of. it’s a shame too because despite being one of the worst bastards in terms of being resistant to therapy or lifestyle changes it has one of the best success rates to pharmaceutical intervention.

i waited until i was in my 30s to finally seek out help and then another year to get myself a treatment that actually works. i can’t fathom how different my life would be if i’d managed to get treatment in my twenties or hell, when i was still in high school. while i’ve accepted that what’s done is done and i’m focusing on living my best life moving forwards i still get upset when i see others banding about the same advice that led to my life being a black hole for two decades.

adhd is fundamentally an inability for your brain to produce enough of certain chemicals to keep things in order. your advice is like asking a type type-1 diabetic if maybe they’ve considered a more natural diet.

respectfully, keep it to yourself next time

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

OP and other people in this thread, I am sorry they are out of your adderall and hope all of you are okay while you wait for it to be filled.

Hello fellow path seeker. It seems you have your 10 toes planted and your heart in the right place. Care to preach ?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
this thread reminds me of exactly why having a bunch of adhd-ers be properly medicated along with therapy is a great idea, and its because like half of you are emotionally flaring up and the other have of you are rejection sensitivity dysphoria-posting in response thanks to our wonderful, amazing brain disease

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

A few years ago these douchebags like slurm would have been making identical posts about HRT. Seconding the lovely-rear end modding here.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Cubone posted:

ah, so you agree that this is putting a needless strain on people who have a legitimate medical use for it, which you do not understand and are making no effort to understand?
then you must feel bad for those people, and as such will make a conscious effort not to antagonize random strangers on the baseless assumption that they do not belong to that group, and must instead be part of the crowd of people that you assume must exist that do not have a legitimate medical use for it? thank you, I'm glad that you are going to stop doing that

Yeah I think that's fair to say. There was definitely a "bad old days" of occupational speed use and I don't want to go back there (and I've run into guys using heavily at work and it's loving terrifying because they can outperform like crazy but then get someone killed being high and sloppy), but of course the DEA is worse than useless and when I say you should need an in person doctor and therapy that's probably a big ask in the US.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

slurm posted:

Yeah I think that's fair to say. There was definitely a "bad old days" of occupational speed use and I don't want to go back there (and I've run into guys using heavily at work and it's loving terrifying because they can outperform like crazy but then get someone killed being high and sloppy), but of course the DEA is worse than useless and when I say you should need an in person doctor and therapy that's probably a big ask in the US.
You already need to see a doctor to get adderal, numbnuts

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

One poster derails an entire thread all by himself, trivializing legitimate mental health issues for millions despite being warned at least twice, every post he's made in the thread has been reported = fine with the mods

Say the c-word with no context = immediate probe in less than 1 minute

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

thank you

Jelly fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 6, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

cat botherer posted:

You already need to see a doctor to get adderal, numbnuts

No you don't, you just need to know the right person to give them to you

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
wish the mods would fix the adderall shortage

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Jelly posted:

do your job, cunts

:catstare:

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

slurm posted:

But it's also obvious to me that it needs to be tightly controlled to prevent it from becoming basically mandatory in the workplace..

It is a controlled substance, schedule 1. A lot of doctors won't even prescribe it or fill prescriptions.

I really don't see the majority of people taking amphetamines daily as a PED for white collar work. It's just plain unsustainable. There are major side effects that could cause it to actually make your performance worse. People have a line they would cross for work life balance and getting hosed up on meth for data entry is a lol.

There are people that certainly will and have abused stimulants at work to keep going. See it in kitchens a lot. But to think it could become the standard across the board is a huge stretch, and people who need it shouldn't be punished for those that abuse it.

I think there's room to criticize overprescription, self diagnosis, and the culture of trying to "fix" neurotypical people in a way of trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Which I thought is what you were trying to say at first, but you're more doing some capitalism doomer thing.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I admit that I have never never used them myself, but I know people who need them to function

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
speed should be sold like the old days with a wink and a nod from the pharmacist behind the counter for anyone looking for "diet pills"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If it was good enough for Jack Kennedy it's good enough for the American people

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Uriah Heep posted:

It is a controlled substance, schedule 1. A lot of doctors won't even prescribe it or fill prescriptions.

I really don't see the majority of people taking amphetamines daily as a PED for white collar work. It's just plain unsustainable. There are major side effects that could cause it to actually make your performance worse. People have a line they would cross for work life balance and getting hosed up on meth for data entry is a lol.

There are people that certainly will and have abused stimulants at work to keep going. See it in kitchens a lot. But to think it could become the standard across the board is a huge stretch, and people who need it shouldn't be punished for those that abuse it.

I think there's room to criticize overprescription, self diagnosis, and the culture of trying to "fix" neurotypical people in a way of trying to jam a square peg in a round hole. Which I thought is what you were trying to say at first, but you're more doing some capitalism doomer thing.

schedule 2

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

blight rhino posted:

Shout out for anyone thinking about Wellbutrin. I was on it for about 3 years, and it really helped. And then I had a seizure, and was immediately taken off of it. It is a severe side effect, but really it's one of those ones that affect like a tiny tiny percent of patients, so they have to list it. Also, watch your alcohol consumption with it, since that can make the seizures more prevalent.

Now I'm on Trazodone and Venaflexine (effexor). and it's .. okay, but not the same as Wellbutrin / bupropion. Supplemented it with Concerta which helped quite a bit, but recently have been taken off that due to being real fat, a drinker, and high blood pressure. Now I survive with Strattera , and it's a noticeable difference, but sucks compared to before.

And yeah, I definitely need a psychologist, I just have a -iatrist.

Best of luck, folks, I hope we all get the help and meds we need.

Do they know for certain it was alcohol that caused your seizure while on Wellbutrin? I was on it for a long time and never had an issue with alcohol but I couldn’t take cough medicine that contained dextromethorphan (DM) because I would lose control of swallow reflex (cue jokes) and felt like I was going to have a seizure.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Uriah Heep posted:

It is a controlled substance, schedule 1.

Amphetamine is Schedule II, below the evil schedule I drugs like THC and LSD and psilocybin. So are Oxycontin and Percocet.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 6, 2023

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

speed should be sold like the old days with a wink and a nod from the pharmacist behind the counter for anyone looking for "diet pills"

agree.

im annoyed they are making me spend like 20 hours a month fighting with my insurance to get their stupd copay penalties overridden so i can get my script filled with the available brand name instead of the generic. trying to charge me like $600 a month lol

definitely having to spend a lot more time reviewing detail stuff at work and falling behind which is pretty cool.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Do they know for certain it was alcohol that caused your seizure while on Wellbutrin? I was on it for a long time and never had an issue with alcohol but I couldn’t take cough medicine that contained dextromethorphan (DM) because I would lose control of swallow reflex (cue jokes) and felt like I was going to have a seizure.

The anti-anxiety meds I'm on shouldn't be combined with grapefruit juice and I'm finding that a lot of IPA's have a not insignificant amount of grapefruit juice in them, or it's ingrained in the hops (it's immediately noticeable in unpleasant fashion). I tend to avoid beers which focus on citrus hops now (rejects are slowly building up in my fridge). I used to like to switch it up each time but it's starting to become Space Dust all the time. You also absolutely cannot search/google/read to find if beers have grapefruit juice in them either. I can totally see how someone who favors those beers could get the totally wrong idea about alcohol pairing with it in general.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

Amphetamine is Schedule II, below the evil schedule I drugs like THC and LSD and psilocybin. So are Oxycontin and Percocet.

Me 30 years ago: "That's ridiculous, surely this won't last."

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

...adhd is fundamentally an inability for your brain to produce enough of certain chemicals to keep things in order. your advice is like asking a type type-1 diabetic if maybe they’ve considered a more natural diet.

respectfully, keep it to yourself next time

I literally have ADHD, and am medicated. I'm speaking on my experience and never poised that my experience was fact.

I didn't mean to upset you, so I'm sorry. But I wouldn't say to someone struggling with ADHD to not take meds. You are projecting your past experiences with some assholes onto my post. I said taking meds isn't where treatment stops.

It is not like saying to pursue a more natural diet, and that comment wasn't directed at you. I was just throwing that out there in case some folks weren't aware. there's a lot of meaningful evidence to suggest that mindfulness meditation strengthens your prefrontal cortex, where ADHDers have deficits. It's not a replacement, but it's not bullshit. If it doesn't work for you that's fine but I'm not out here peddling essential oils.

jarofpiss posted:

schedule 2

Oh oops, my bad

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jelly posted:

Me 30 years ago: "That's ridiculous, surely this won't last."

Diacetylmorphine is Schedule I though.

Morphine is Schedule II and diacetylmorphine, oxycodone and hydrocodone all turn into morphine-analogues in your body and fail your piss tests

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jelly posted:

The anti-anxiety meds I'm on shouldn't be combined with grapefruit juice and I'm finding that a lot of IPA's have a not insignificant amount of grapefruit juice in them, or it's ingrained in the hops (it's immediately noticeable in unpleasant fashion). I tend to avoid beers which focus on citrus hops now (rejects are slowly building up in my fridge). I used to like to switch it up each time but it's starting to become Space Dust all the time. You also absolutely cannot search/google/read to find if beers have grapefruit juice in them either. I can totally see how someone who favors those beers could get the totally wrong idea about alcohol pairing with it in general.

I don't think Wellbutrin is one of the drugs that interacts with grapefruit, but holy hell a lot of drugs do. I'm probably on the same anti-anxiety med as you, and before I realized it had the grapefruit interaction I spent a month or two wondering why I felt like I was being weirdly pressurized in the early part of my day. I'd been drinking an energy drink to start my day that was heavy on grapefruit, so I was essentially putting myself into an overdose state every single day. Yay.

Luckily the meds I rely on most are not subject to shortages, but trying to time refills has definitely gotten worse. Pharmacies are slower and harder to reach - a bunch of them around here don't even answer their phones anymore.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Uriah Heep posted:

It is not like saying to pursue a more natural diet, and that comment wasn't directed at you. I was just throwing that out there in case some folks weren't aware. there's a lot of meaningful evidence to suggest that mindfulness meditation strengthens your prefrontal cortex, where ADHDers have deficits. It's not a replacement, but it's not bullshit. If it doesn't work for you that's fine but I'm not out here peddling essential oils.

alright that's fine. i took issue with the, 'if you still need meds after...' part of your statement. if exercise and meditation are able to get you out of adhd then you likely didn't have adhd in the first place. the way you phrased it makes it sound like you can be on the meds for a bit, get your life in order, then jump back off again.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't think Wellbutrin is one of the drugs that interacts with grapefruit, but holy hell a lot of drugs do. I'm probably on the same anti-anxiety med as you, and before I realized it had the grapefruit interaction I spent a month or two wondering why I felt like I was being weirdly pressurized in the early part of my day. I'd been drinking an energy drink to start my day that was heavy on grapefruit, so I was essentially putting myself into an overdose state every single day. Yay.

Luckily the meds I rely on most are not subject to shortages, but trying to time refills has definitely gotten worse. Pharmacies are slower and harder to reach - a bunch of them around here don't even answer their phones anymore.
I have to say I have the opposite experience in my state. I think I need to cancel my auto-renew because I'm way overstocked with like 3 refills waiting for pickup right now. Or maybe I won't and I'll just stockpile it for the inevitable collapse of society. I asked for a breakthrough dose for some recent travel which ended up being one extra dose for a week (7 pills) and they gave me an 80 dose refill for it. At least it's cheap!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't think Wellbutrin is one of the drugs that interacts with grapefruit, but holy hell a lot of drugs do.

Carbamazepine was on the DO NOT INTERACT EVER list and I loving hated it with all my soul.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jelly posted:

I have to say I have the opposite experience in my state. I think I need to cancel my auto-renew because I'm way overstocked with like 3 refills waiting for pickup right now. Or maybe I won't and I'll just stockpile it for the inevitable collapse of society. I asked for a breakthrough dose for some recent travel which ended up being one extra dose for a week (7 pills) and they gave me an 80 dose refill for it. At least it's cheap!

I had to stop the auto-refill on my monteleukast because for whatever reason it was doing that - I ended up with a ridiculous stockpile even though I take one a day and never miss it. I do intentionally stockpile one of my meds because it is prescribed at one a day but my doctor said I could just take half, but if I wait to refill it then the pharmacy cancels it because going too long between refills is apparently bad. :shrug: So I refill it even when I have a lot so I don't end up having it canceled on me with no notice the next time I actually need a refill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alright that's fine. i took issue with the, 'if you still need meds after...' part of your statement. if exercise and meditation are able to get you out of adhd then you likely didn't have adhd in the first place. the way you phrased it makes it sound like you can be on the meds for a bit, get your life in order, then jump back off again.

Practicing CBT, mindfulness, etc. was basically impossible for me until I was medicated. Now those methods I'd learned in therapy are becoming much more applicable.

I wish I saw more conversation around this kind of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8LRb4jfZ9g

The recovery capabilities of patients who have tried this absolutely blow my mind, as well as the grass-roots movement to change the language around it to make it more societally acceptable.