Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Does the newer notepad in windows 11 support the auto-save\restore on restart(update) feature?

I know there are a million better options than using 27 notepad windows as a scratchpad and leaving them open for weeks at a time, but I am the way I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rinkles posted:

I’m a Goldilocks, I don’t mind a trimmed down right click menu, but the Win11 one is missing some essentials for me. Ideally it would just be easily customizable.

Hot drat, customizable Windows? Imagine a world in which Microsoft did this…

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why the gently caress does Windows keep switching my keyboard layout to "EN English (United Kingdom)?? The only way I can figure out to switch it back is to turn on the language bar, switch to US, then turn the language bar back off. I'm pretty sure I don't have that language even installed!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That's a bug that has existed since windows 8. All you can do is install the language if it really isn't already, set your preferred order and uninstall the language you don't want again, then pray it stays that way for a while.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

hooah posted:

Why the gently caress does Windows keep switching my keyboard layout to "EN English (United Kingdom)?? The only way I can figure out to switch it back is to turn on the language bar, switch to US, then turn the language bar back off. I'm pretty sure I don't have that language even installed!

Are you sure you're not accidentally hitting the hotkeys to change the active keyboard layout?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tornhelm posted:

Are you sure you're not accidentally hitting the hotkeys to change the active keyboard layout?

I suppose I could be. What hotkey is that, by default?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Alt - Shift

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rinkles posted:

I’m a Goldilocks, I don’t mind a trimmed down right click menu, but the Win11 one is missing some essentials for me. Ideally it would just be easily customizable.

Here's my take, it's normal to want to be able to customize an interface, and stupid for an obscenely wealthy and powerful software company not to include customization options that you need to get your work done.

OTOH, they're a monopoly, and you can [THREAD TITLE].

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's a bug that has existed since windows 8.
Over here, this poo poo always only starts happening as soon as I install Office. Also, I can never remember how to fix it.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lately i've been having an issue where right clicking any type of removable drive causes Explorer to freeze. it happens most frequently with CD/DVD drives, even virtually mounted ones. i am using StartAllBack to replace the explorer panes which i'm not sure could have something to do with it, but it is very annoying

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
do you have any mapped networks drives pinned? explorer froze on me constantly until i removed mine

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

barnold posted:

i am using StartAllBack

Bingo

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

site posted:

do you have any mapped networks drives pinned? explorer froze on me constantly until i removed mine

i tried this and removed my series x but seems to not have any effect. it does work if i try to or three times in a row though

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

barnold posted:

lately i've been having an issue where right clicking any type of removable drive causes Explorer to freeze. it happens most frequently with CD/DVD drives, even virtually mounted ones. i am using StartAllBack to replace the explorer panes which i'm not sure could have something to do with it, but it is very annoying

I've been having a weird right click lag for probably two months? Intermittently, a right click will hang for half a second. Never enough to cause any trouble but enough to be weird and stand out lol. I did not have start all installed when my problem started.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hi i just upgraded to w11 - is there some way to make the overall GUI "faster"? i tried turning off animations in accessability but it still feels like there's a 1 second or longer pause between clicks on anything in the GUI versus W10, i have a beastly gamer rig and the OS is on an NVME drive

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since Windows is aware of games anyway, by means of the Gamebar stuff, Microsoft should finally integrate their goddamn Firewall dialog with it maybe, for whenever a game causes it to pop up.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Mad Wack posted:

hi i just upgraded to w11 - is there some way to make the overall GUI "faster"? i tried turning off animations in accessability but it still feels like there's a 1 second or longer pause between clicks on anything in the GUI versus W10, i have a beastly gamer rig and the OS is on an NVME drive

Did you do an in-place OS upgrade? Try a clean install, I've generally had better success with it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Pvt. Parts posted:

Did you do an in-place OS upgrade? Try a clean install, I've generally had better success with it.

that might work, will give it a shot

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

mmmmm nah i don't think so because i just disabled it and it still hangs in the standard win11 explorer too

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've been having issues getting my laptop to upgrade to 22H2, and I think it's a Bitlocker issue. I've been troubleshooting it, but after the upgrade fails I can't retry for a couple of weeks. Is there a way to get it to show up in Windows Update faster? I assume it's a registry flag or similar, but I can't find any info on how it works.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

you ate my cat posted:

I've been having issues getting my laptop to upgrade to 22H2, and I think it's a Bitlocker issue. I've been troubleshooting it, but after the upgrade fails I can't retry for a couple of weeks. Is there a way to get it to show up in Windows Update faster? I assume it's a registry flag or similar, but I can't find any info on how it works.

Use https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11 Windows 11 Installation Assistant

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

you ate my cat posted:

for the love of god, turn bitlocker off before you do anything else

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
So putting taskbar on the side is impossible? Any apps to enable it?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not sure how I missed finding this. I'll give it a go, thanks!

redeyes posted:

for the love of god, turn bitlocker off before you do anything else

The error I'm getting looked more like a driver issue, so I've been coming at it from that direction. I realized I was getting a bluescreen about halfway through the update for "inaccessible boot device" the last time I ran it. Hopefully suspending it will be enough because I don't want to turn it all the way off and then re-encrypt after.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

teraflame posted:

Windows 10

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If you're getting lag doing basic right clicks and stuff and you're running a SSD (absolutely zero reason for any os not to be in tyool 2023) next thing I'd check would be your memory. Unless you have some superfluous garbage installed meant to optimize/tune up/clean your system cause that's all trash 100% of the time

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

teraflame posted:

StartAllBack

Long free trial to see if you like it. Works well for me. Shame about microsoft not including such basic features any more.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

StartAllBack

Long free trial to see if you like it. Works well for me. Shame about microsoft not including such basic features any more.

Currently the trial never actually runs out because the dev is Russian and doesn't have a way to accept payment.

Anyway I've found that there's a perceptible pause before the context menu opens but I've found no way to fix it. It's consistent, so you'll eventually get used to it. Every win 11 machine I've used had that pause but that doesn't really mean anything because that's like three distinct computers.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it looks like he's figured out the payment situation, there's options to use paypal or gumroad currently

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

repiv posted:

it looks like he's figured out the payment situation, there's options to use paypal or gumroad currently

Yeah I paid him. Hopefully he can use the money to :frogout:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Currently the trial never actually runs out because the dev is Russian and doesn't have a way to accept payment.

Anyway I've found that there's a perceptible pause before the context menu opens but I've found no way to fix it. It's consistent, so you'll eventually get used to it. Every win 11 machine I've used had that pause but that doesn't really mean anything because that's like three distinct computers.

I'd be fine with a consistent pause but mine is inconsistent. It's such a minor thing but it drives me crazy lol

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'd be fine with a consistent pause but mine is inconsistent. It's such a minor thing but it drives me crazy lol

The stupid thing is Microsoft made the new menu to combat inconsistent load times of the context menu, by stripping away third party tools from loading

Of course they managed to even gently caress that up

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

HalloKitty posted:

The stupid thing is Microsoft made the new menu to combat inconsistent load times of the context menu, by stripping away third party tools from loading

Looking at your avatar I'm thinking of old OS -> car analogies and the little tweaks that have been in place since 95 (probably most of the gum and hair has been pulled out).

A search for "if your os was a car" and a click on quora for antique jokes led me to TempleOS. The last OS you should ever use I guess, like the hearse of OS' har har.

I'll cease.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

It's because the menu itself is pinging MS when you do anything. Kill internet and watch the menu just stop working entirely.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

redeyes posted:

It's because the menu itself is pinging MS when you do anything. Kill internet and watch the menu just stop working entirely.

What the gently caress, what????

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

redeyes posted:

code:
GET https://microsoft.com/WindowsTelemetry/RightClickService/GetOptionsForFile?filename=passwords.txt

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

What the gently caress, what????

Im sorry! Can I help? Some nice warm tea perhaps?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I'm out of touch. What's the best way to back up my win11 system. Is it still to go into that buried submenu in the windows 7 control panel and create a system image? Is doing this even needed anymore in the age of SSDs? In the event of a failure I want to avoid redownloading and setting up all the annoying little drivers and programs and plugins I've accumulated for audio recording. And also avoid buying a new windows license if my SSD fails and I have to buy a new drive. They buried the Create System Image option so deep that I can't help but think it's not the intended way anymore.

Also, I'm currently backing up files (documents and pictures) the same way I did 20 years ago - manually copy pasting to an external ssd. I found a built in utility called File History, which apparently is supposed to make this process automatic and regular, except it says "there's a problem with my drive" but doesn't say what that problem is. I've tried reformatting my external drive, no difference. OneDrive doesn't give me nearly enough space, plus I hate the idea of cloud backup, so just manual backups it is, then?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

stratdax posted:

I'm out of touch. What's the best way to back up my win11 system. Is it still to go into that buried submenu in the windows 7 control panel and create a system image? Is doing this even needed anymore in the age of SSDs? In the event of a failure I want to avoid redownloading and setting up all the annoying little drivers and programs and plugins I've accumulated for audio recording. And also avoid buying a new windows license if my SSD fails and I have to buy a new drive. They buried the Create System Image option so deep that I can't help but think it's not the intended way anymore.

Also, I'm currently backing up files (documents and pictures) the same way I did 20 years ago - manually copy pasting to an external ssd. I found a built in utility called File History, which apparently is supposed to make this process automatic and regular, except it says "there's a problem with my drive" but doesn't say what that problem is. I've tried reformatting my external drive, no difference. OneDrive doesn't give me nearly enough space, plus I hate the idea of cloud backup, so just manual backups it is, then?

Macrium Reflect free. It is kinda discontinued, but it will still get security patches for a year.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dont back up your system unless you have some very delicate or obtuse bespoke setup that is difficult to replicate. Backup your files, never the OS (you also shouldn't need to backup your files manually as you ought to have some sort of cloud setup or NAS in place doing it for you on the regular). Reinstalling Windows clean takes 5 minutes these days.