Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

mila kunis posted:

what am i supposed to do with the information in this tweet. why do you do this

its important that everyone knows communism is dumb because its just boring speeches the serious activist said so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the inscrutable CCP hides its intentions deviously by only letting the world know what’s up by giving hours-long public speeches expounding exhaustively point by point by subpoint on all their doings and ideological motivations and future plans

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Ding tai fung kinda sucks

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Ding tai fung kinda sucks. Overpriced and any Shanghai dumpling stand tastes better.

bro i dont get those here in seatlte

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

indigi posted:

an authentic dumpling stand in Shanghai China tastes better than a mall food court location in America? well now I've seen everything

Isn't one of the ding tai fung restaurants Michelin starred?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah and its overrated

had a bunch of hype so work took a bunch of influencers there, to me it tasted worse than frozen pelmeni

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
i've never been to any of the US ones but the one i went to in taipei was perfectly cromulent so i wonder if the ones in the states are more geared to western palates? like it's still a chain in china so it'll obviously pale to a hole in the wall dumpling house

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

work took a bunch of influencers there

lol what

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol npr
When it comes to the dangers of AI, surveillance poses more risk than anything

www.npr.org posted:

NPR's Ari Shapiro talks with Paul Scharre about how tech giants and the world's militaries are wielding the power of artificial intelligence. It's the subject of his new book Four Battlegrounds.

ARI SHAPIRO, HOST:

At least 1 billion surveillance cameras are spying on the world right now according to one estimate, and more than half of them are in China, though the country has less than a fifth of the world's population. To sort through data from those hundreds of millions of cameras, the Chinese government is enlisting the help of artificial intelligence - technology that can identify faces, voices, even the way someone walks. Paul Scharre investigated the country's surveillance systems for his new book "Four Battlegrounds: Power In The Age Of Artificial Intelligence." He writes that AI has the power to reshape the entire landscape of human governance and warfare from enabling the spread of authoritarianism to influencing how wars start and end. Paul Scharre, welcome back to ALL THINGS CONSIDERED.

PAUL SCHARRE: Thanks. Thanks for having me.

SHAPIRO: You say early on in the book that the dangers of AI are not the dangers science fiction warned us about. We don't have to be afraid of killer robots rebelling against their human makers, at least not yet. So what is the immediate threat?

SCHARRE: Well, the immediate threat isn't that the AI systems turn on us. It's what people may do with these AI technologies. And we can see, as you mentioned, in China the development of an AI-enabled model of repression that China is pioneering, particularly in Xinjiang, where they're using AI to help in the repression of the ethnic Uyghurs that live there but also nationwide. And then China's beginning to export its model of AI-enabled repression globally.

SHAPIRO: When you spent time in China looking at the country's use of AI, what surprised you?

SCHARRE: So many things. One of them is - you know, it's one thing to hear about 500 million surveillance cameras deployed in China, but it's an entirely different thing to walk down the streets of a major Chinese city and see these cameras everywhere - at light poles, at intersections, halfway down the block - sometimes to the point of absurdity. I would sit and count how many cameras there were on a given light pole. And so the surveillance is very ubiquitous. And it's not trying to be hidden because, of course, the Chinese Communist Party wants to subtly remind people that, in fact, they are being watched.

SHAPIRO: Yeah.

SCHARRE: And one of the things that AI enables the government to do is to then put electronic eyeballs behind all these cameras because how do you monitor 500 million cameras? Well, you need AI to do it.

SHAPIRO: As China exports this technology and these standards and norms to countries like Zimbabwe and Venezuela and others, how does that ripple out?

SCHARRE: Well, one of the things that's really troubling, of course, is China's export of its surveillance technology and the social software, the norms and standards behind how it's used. China's technology for policing and surveillance has been sold to over 80 countries worldwide. But China's also been engaging in training with countries on things like information management and cyberspace laws and norms, exporting its model for how AI technology can be used for censorship and surveillance. Over 30 countries have been engaged in some of these training sessions. And in many cases, we've seen that, following Chinese engagement, there have been laws that other countries have passed that show China's model.

SHAPIRO: Is it accurate to view this as a kind of yin yang where, on the one hand, China is spreading this AI-powered autocratic philosophy and, on the other hand, the U.S. and Western Europe are spreading something else?

SCHARRE: Well, one of the hard parts about this problem is that there should be - we would like to see pushback from democratic countries, the United States and others, about how AI is used so that there is a competing model that's consistent with democratic values. But that doesn't exist yet. There's, of course, quite a bit of pushback here in the United States and in Europe against the use of facial recognition technology, particularly by law enforcement. Certainly, democratic governments are not doing what the Chinese government is doing.

But one of the things that's difficult within democratic societies is because power is so much more decentralized, the process of coming up with a model for AI governance is much messier. It's slower because there's a give-and-take between the government and local and state and federal authorities and civil society and the media and grassroots movements of citizens. And so it's taking longer for there to be a model coming out of democratic countries, and that's a problem 'cause there's a vacuum in, really, the ability to push back against what China is doing.
. . .
SCHARRE: Well, I do think there's a risk that over time, in warfare, for example, as more and more AI systems are adopted by militaries, we begin to see a transition to a period of warfare in which humans effectively have to hand over control to machines. Some Chinese scholars have talked about the idea of a singularity on the battlefield where the pace of combat action eclipses humans' ability to respond, and militaries effectively have to turn over the keys to AI systems just to remain competitive. And that is a troubling prospect.
. . .
SCHARRE: Thank you. Thanks for having me.

(SOUNDBITE OF ROYKSOPP'S "RISING URGE")

☯️

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

now if you'll excuse me, i saw someone step on my lawn via the ring camera that i constantly loving watch while at work

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im willing to condemn anything if it means whoever owns or posts on nextdoor also has to go to the hague

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
the way the west's system of governance is useless and broken, can't loving do anything and corporations keep fleecing everyone? That's good actually

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

the way the west's system of governance is useless and broken, can't loving do anything and corporations keep fleecing everyone? That's good actually

at least you can still uselessly vote and say anything until you threaten capital interests, that's freedom

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1632225665264279552

ghost city reporting by the west since the 80s lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
westerners literally don't know what building infrastructure looks like anymore

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it looks like a fat check made out to my Mauritian holding company

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
allowing landlordism is still ironically the worst CCP policy by far though

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Some Guy TT posted:

its important that everyone knows communism is dumb because its just boring speeches the serious activist said so

These people have never in their life given a thought to what it would be like to actually govern.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1632225665264279552

ghost city reporting by the west since the 80s lmao

lol this is literally "markets are good because the competition will force prices to come down benefitting the consumer" but in reality and suddenly all the exponents of markets do not like it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ElbridgeColby/status/1632368970991902721

oh yeah sure my dude

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

john adams hack fraud

colonial kissinger

realpolitiking his way through war after war after war

clown who sucked so much he made slaver jefferson look good

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

john adams was right to want a strong central government but who would want john adams in charge of it

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I figure it belongs here. I never realized that our recruitment of Pinay nurses has caused an acute shortage there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/philippines-health-international-nurses-1.6764854

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Regarde Aduck posted:

what people itt believe when they read the c-word

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Si vis pacem, tace aut irrumabo

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1631815591240650753

Lol didn't they arrest several Huawei execs at the behest of the US?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol they sure did

Even the national propaganda apparatuses are losing coherence

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's a 'listen to renters' open mic thing coming up in my town, because lol housing crisis is across the globe. Does anyone know of any good speeches or longer quotes from any M/ML/MLM comrades, on landlords/rent seeking, that I might be able to read aloud and get folks attending nodding or cheering along for before I loudly attribute it?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

"Respecting extradition agreements isn't foreign interference - bing bong, so simple!"

Ranter posted:

There's a 'listen to renters' open mic thing coming up in my town, because lol housing crisis is across the globe. Does anyone know of any good speeches or longer quotes from any M/ML/MLM comrades, on landlords/rent seeking, that I might be able to read aloud and get folks attending nodding or cheering along for before I loudly attribute it?

Read Mao's thoughts on landlords, OP.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think mao's thinking had more to do with rural landowners who directly profited off farms, not people who rent out flats.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Foreign means not white hth

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Horseshoe theory posted:

"Respecting extradition agreements isn't foreign interference - bing bong, so simple!"

Read Mao's thoughts on landlords, OP.

Which book / pamphlet / speech?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ranter posted:

There are other prominent and more popular thinkers that westerners would be more open to listen to:

As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce. - Adam Smith

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Isentropy posted:

I figure it belongs here. I never realized that our recruitment of Pinay nurses has caused an acute shortage there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/philippines-health-international-nurses-1.6764854

nobody wants to pay for it. you wouldn't even have to pay competitive salaries, if a sense of duty and patriotism fills in the rest, but you at least need to pay livable salaries. Some nurses still haven't received their COVID hazard pay from 2020

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yes and we were the only bitch country to do it after Mexico and everyone else told them no. Thankfully we got something in exchange like them loving jacking our supplies of vaccines and masks during COVID

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ranter posted:

As Cpt_obvious has sorta pointed out, classical liberalism has as a core component some sort of land redistribution. Another good angle is Taiwan's georgist policies.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

not looking up who that guy is but I'm assuming he's just Okinawa rapist #42069

i will continue to assume this even if he got busted for something else

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Lord of Pie posted:

not looking up who that guy is but I'm assuming he's just Okinawa rapist #42069

i will continue to assume this even if he got busted for something else

he “fell asleep at the wheel” and mowed down some people in a parking lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

he “fell asleep at the wheel” and mowed down some people in a parking lot

seems like another problem that could be solved by not being there