Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

007 373 5963

If you know, you know.

justin bailey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vertical Lime posted:

justin bailey

:hmmyes:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

harperdc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9RJ_SCRfM

I'm guessing my dad was into technology (so got an NES) and also got the bug for Top Gun (as all dudes, who rocked, in the 1980s did) but I don't think either of us got too far in that Top Gun NES game. Yeesh.

I can land this plane with my eyes closed. Refueling was harder.

I also maintain that Tiger Heli and Spy Hunter are two of the hardest games to beat of all time

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kiimo posted:

I also maintain that Tiger Heli and Spy Hunter are two of the hardest games to beat of all time
DINO RIKI

gently caress THAT GAME

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Corwin of Amber.

Top gun was hard, I feel like I rarely got to the 3rd stage or so. I like how all of these seemingly impossible games that 10 year old me and friends spent hours and hours bashing our heads against the wall with are all now beaten on youtube in like 20 minutes. Streetfighter 2010, Back to the Future (I think I missed the part in the movie where you throw bowling balls at bees), Top Gun etc.

I have beat BattleToads :smug:

kiimo posted:

I did not think Spy Hunter was beatable, I was under the impression it was high score based and the game went on forever.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 5, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Contra

….with no Konami code.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Silly Burrito posted:

Contra

….with no Konami code.

This Is the Run is some A+ Giant Bomb content playing through all of those

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I beat Contra without the code but I had like every moment memorized. I should have gone to the pool more that summer but instead that's what I did

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

fartknocker posted:

I have no memory of that mission being a problem, although getting the upgrade thingy at the city at the end was mildly tricky since IIRC it was in between some buildings and you had to go very slow and at the right angle to get it.

The Imperial Construction Yards mission on Balmorra was tricky the first time for me, and I remember protecting those drat AT-PTs on Fest causing the most trouble when I first played the game at age 8.

In order to get a gold medal for that mission you had to destroy all the Imperal bacta tanks without destroying the friendly bacta tanks that were next to them. It was simple enough but for some reason the Imperial tanks sometimes were buggy in that if you shot at them, the hitbox wouldn't recognize the shots and it'd go through them and hit the friendly ones and destroy them.

After a bunch of trial and error I found the angle you approached them mattered in detecting hits. It was the last mission I got a gold medal on.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My sophomore going into junior summer break, I finished building my first PC then decided to beat as many SNES RPGs on an emulator as possible. I remember beating all 3 Final Fantasies for it, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Robotrek, Live A Live, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Earthbound, Secret and Trials of Mana, both Lufias, both Breath of Fires, and of course Super Mario RPG.

I probably should have hung out with people more then!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kiimo posted:

I beat Contra without the code but I had like every moment memorized. I should have gone to the pool more that summer but instead that's what I did
Same, but going to the pool also involved me playing the Rush'n Attack arcade game during the adult swim breaks. So many quarters, never a win.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Quiet Feet posted:

My grandmother died yesterday. She was 95 and got Covid in January and it seems like even after she got over it she wasn't quite the same. My mother and all of her siblings were with her, at least, including one uncle who drove up (to CT) from Virginia overnight to be there.

I feel worse at the thought that my mother lost her mother, than I am that I lost my grandmother, if that makes sense. Also for my uncle who moved back from California five or so years ago to take care of grandma and grandpa and has been living with them. Grandpa passed two years ago and that's gotta be a lonely house to be in right now. :smith:

My condolences to you and your fam, QF. I have dinner every Sunday with my dad and sister, and a couple of weeks ago quietly and privately got a little bit emotional overhearing my sis talk to our dad about her therapy/grief counseling, and her saying that our mom was her best friend really hit me, especially as I realized she was our dad's best friend too. So I kinda feel you there on feeling worse for those closer.

My mother's eldest sibling, our aunt Zoe passed away yesterday. It was not unexpected, she had started palliative care a week ago and had been in a home for some time. She'd been dealing with MS for a couple of decades or so, and in the last week couldn't keep food down. To be honest, I had largely lost touch with my relatives in Canada since I moved to the US in 1999, until Facebook came along and we started reconnecting to some extent. At the moment I'm not grieving super hard for my aunt, but I'm pretty sure when I give her kids a call I'm going to feel how hard it's hitting my cousins.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I played goldeneye in a big room with my friends

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

In order to get a gold medal for that mission you had to destroy all the Imperal bacta tanks without destroying the friendly bacta tanks that were next to them. It was simple enough but for some reason the Imperial tanks sometimes were buggy in that if you shot at them, the hitbox wouldn't recognize the shots and it'd go through them and hit the friendly ones and destroy them.

After a bunch of trial and error I found the angle you approached them mattered in detecting hits. It was the last mission I got a gold medal on.

Now that you mention that, I vaguely remember those hitboxes being an issue on replays, but it wasn't the worst for me. IIRC, the hardest ones for me to get Gold (But not necessarily beat) were Sullust and Thyferra. Sullust just had so many missile batteries the warning sound is burned into my brain, and it took me a bit of time to realize you didn't need to blow up every single emplacement to get to that tricky capacitor at the end. Thyferra had a lot going on, tons of targets and fighters and poo poo, and then the boss fight at the end was a pain early on.

Episode I: Battle for Naboo I remember being harder for me to get all Gold on. Some of the speeder and boat levels were tricky as hell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sorry for your loss Quiet Feet. 95 is a good run.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I played goldeneye in a big room with my friends

Every lunch break my senior year we’d go off campus and play either goldeneye or WCW/NWO revenge. Every single lunch break. We had that poo poo down to a science.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

Same, but going to the pool also involved me playing the Rush'n Attack arcade game during the adult swim breaks. So many quarters, never a win.

oh my god rush'n attack! Floods of memories you just uncorked

edit: it was pretty epic for 8-bit

kiimo fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 5, 2023

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

seiferguy posted:

My sophomore going into junior summer break, I finished building my first PC then decided to beat as many SNES RPGs on an emulator as possible. I remember beating all 3 Final Fantasies for it, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Robotrek, Live A Live, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Earthbound, Secret and Trials of Mana, both Lufias, both Breath of Fires, and of course Super Mario RPG.

I probably should have hung out with people more then!

Other than the Japan only games I think I beat every single one of those on cartridge, plus Ogre Battle and the 7th Saga. As all seven characters no less. I may have played the 7th Saga more than any American.

The local video store had a RPG connoisseur and not many takers. One other to be exact, to the point this guy always took the first save slot, and I’d take the third. I ran into him at my first job. He was like the Shelbyville version of me - same personality, same acne, same stupidly high grades and taste in video games, we both had a lovely GM B-body, but he went to the rival high school. Should have been a blaring klaxon I was a full blown weirdo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I always think back to how good starfox was on the snes. He played that game for hours as a kid.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Spending almost all my time the 1st time I was in the Philippines playing Ikari Warriors with my cousins was pretty fun.

Somehow the movie channels today were showing The Hunt for Arex October and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which both have Jeffrey Jones. I did have a moment thinking "what's he been up to?" and :chloe:.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ll never forget the unbridled excitement, unwrapping Zelda with its gold cartridge for the first time. It snowed in South Georgia for the first time in a century or something and I was too sick to play in it. Six years old, and I got right to the adventure.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remember watching my friend play after he got it and you can't really take turns at that game so I just had to watch. I kept yelling at him to burn the bushes because there are probably all kinds of loot behind them and he refused for weeks. I was right dammit

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear came out days before I started college, and being in the dorms was my first exposure to high speed internet.

It's definitely a confidence coincidence I ended up on academic probation my freshman year.

e: goddammit

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 6, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear came out days before I started college, and being in the dorms was my first exposure to high speed internet.

It's definitely a confidence I ended up on academic probation my freshman year.

Just the best possible time to get hosed by auto correct.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My roommate flunked out because he could not stop playing Battlefield 1942. Literally 20 hours a day. He was from Palos Verdes Estates so I guess he was not actually wasting his own money.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Pain of Mind posted:

My roommate flunked out because he could not stop playing Battlefield 1942. Literally 20 hours a day. He was from Palos Verdes Estates so I guess he was not actually wasting his own money.

I was requested by everyone else on my freshman dorm floor to lock up my video games during finals. We played The New Tetris, Mario Kart, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark an insane amount.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Team Fortress Classic was my personal addiction but it was insane how addictive it was with a homebuilt machine and fast rear end internet.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh man yeah. As a kid i discovered it on my uncles computer and played like 6 hours middle of then night. Obsessed with tfc

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pain of Mind posted:

I can think of a couple people from my dorm floor freshmen year that either flunked out, or nearly flunked out because they were obsessed with video games. Funny how some kids just can't manage that new found freedom.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Today is the first recorded instance of Zoey and Toby using the dual boxes with blanket setup for kitties to sit in the sun:

Toby walked up to sniff Zoey and got head licks before he laid down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What the gently caress is happening?

https://twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/1631494605387743233?t=IasyF3vCWQIRYynxCd7_tw&s=19

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Team Fortress Classic was my personal addiction but it was insane how addictive it was with a homebuilt machine and fast rear end internet.

Knew two guys who failed out because of tfc. The real monster though was when WoW came out...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Probably a bad idea to keep cutting all of these positions down to bare minimum number of people and then overworking them to make up for it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Junior year of college we had a house right in the dead center of campus, an enormously heavy 31" Hitachi CRT, and a shiny new copy of Goldeneye. Me and my gaming buddy played 2v2 matches about 14 hours a day against all comers because groups were always passing by our spot and stopped in for a beer or a smoke or just a game. New players used to come in all smug and demand we play golden gun against our very strong recommendations not to. They only did that one time though.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Capitalism has us absolutely gutting infrastructure.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

It’s gonna cause another Tenerife incident one day and it kinda makes me not want to fly

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My college friend Ryan was the one that had all the game systems so we'd go to his dorm and play stuff on the PS1 or Sega Saturn. The joke became when we'd go to Media Olay or Suncoast Video if we saw a game or movie we'd say "Ryan, you should buy that." Then he would.

The funniest thing was we were playing Marvel Vs. Capcom on his Sega Saturn and our friend Terrance came in. Seeing that we were playing he put a quarter on the Saturn to signify he was next.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Electronics Boutique with their "return the opened game within 10 days" policy provided us with so many free rentals of the really good stuff we wanted more than a night or two.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Android Apocalypse posted:

My college friend Ryan was the one that had all the game systems so we'd go to his dorm and play stuff on the PS1 or Sega Saturn. The joke became when we'd go to Media Olay or Suncoast Video if we saw a game or movie we'd say "Ryan, you should buy that." Then he would.

The funniest thing was we were playing Marvel Vs. Capcom on his Sega Saturn and our friend Terrance came in. Seeing that we were playing he put a quarter on the Saturn to signify he was next.

thank you Ryan

thank you to all of the Ryan's of the world, sharing their games with us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Think first attempt at making bread came out pretty good, crunchy rear end sourdough. Baking at altitude sucks haha