Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will cause the heavyweight title to stay vacant this time?
This poll is closed.
Jon Jones goes on a pre-fight bender in Vegas 3 8.11%
Jon Jones goes on a post-fight bender in Vegas 1 2.70%
Jon Jones goes on a mid-fight bender in Vegas 4 10.81%
Jon Jones tests positive for supercocaine, which USADA spends the next three months pretending is normal 18 48.65%
A well-fought majority draw 1 2.70%
No Contest on account of simultaneous dick kicks 10 27.03%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Jones planning to take him down and kill him was never in question, the question was what would happen when Gane made him work for it, and then Gane decided that instead of his attacks at angles or countering Jones coming in or pecking with leg kicks and taking his time he was going to a) footwork himself into the wall and repeatedly panic, b) throw jabs to the body, and c) throw loving Dan Henderson big right hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, Jones planning to take him down and kill him was never in question, the question was what would happen when Gane made him work for it, and then Gane decided that instead of his attacks at angles or countering Jones coming in or pecking with leg kicks and taking his time he was going to a) footwork himself into the wall and repeatedly panic, b) throw jabs to the body, and c) throw loving Dan Henderson big right hands

hey he also tried to kick him in the cock and balls

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Fighters should always throw a dick kick or two because they never get a point taken for the first or second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5JE5sYtWg

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Alaois posted:

hey he also tried to kick him in the cock and balls

What do you mean tried

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

What do you mean tried

i mean it connected but i would still call it an unsuccessful attempt

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

okay that's where my confusion was, I thought that the Tuivasa fight was for the interim belt again after Ngannou was stripped

Ngannou was still in the UFC when the Tuivasa fight happened.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

i mean it connected but i would still call it an unsuccessful attempt

How is it considered unsuccessful if the kick connected with Jones' cup and caused the fight to need a break in the action for Jones to recover from the nut shot?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mekchu posted:

How is it considered unsuccessful if the kick connected with Jones' cup and caused the fight to need a break in the action for Jones to recover from the nut shot?

I guess because in hindsight the fight getting stopped as a No Contest there would seem less embarrassing to Gane and potentially get him an "immediate rematch"? I dunno

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mekchu posted:

how is any time jones gets kicked in the dick not a victory on some level

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fighters should always throw a dick kick or two because they never get a point taken for the first or second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo5JE5sYtWg

Seems like you always get at least one free foul each, so might as well cash in your free eye poke/dick kick/cage grab per fight

Maybe cage grab isn't a good example, you can sometimes do that all night and only have the ref lightly slap your hands a few times

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
DON’T HOLD DE SHORTZ

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Brut posted:

I guess because in hindsight the fight getting stopped as a No Contest there would seem less embarrassing to Gane and potentially get him an "immediate rematch"? I dunno

its this

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Shumagorath posted:

I can't substantiate this, but back when Jones was at his peak I recall people on this very forum saying he out-earned both his brothers.

Sort of

His brothers said he outearned them.

https://twitter.com/Artj97/status/381992588104183808?t=ve6vuflWgKBOwCmYaA0DLg&s=19
https://twitter.com/Artj97/status/381999350819606529?t=-xkfSRfo8yaI8SbgZad8sw&s=19

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I was in desperate hope after the first dick kick we were going to get a vintage French kickboxing performance from gane

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Still mad but also laughing at jon doing an unironic Carlton-style dance afterwards

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

That was before he signed $6 and $9 million contracts.

Anyway practice squad dudes are out earning the average ufc fighter lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
That's true but the point was people saying at his peak he outearned his brothers is substantiated by his own brothers. A decade since does change the contracts and situation but it wasn't like people were trying to claim the average ufc fighter made more than an nfl player. Also the sponsorship era.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Lid posted:

That's true but the point was people saying at his peak he outearned his brothers is substantiated by his own brothers. A decade since does change the contracts and situation but it wasn't like people were trying to claim the average ufc fighter made more than an nfl player. Also the sponsorship era.

I think the point was why does the heavyweight division suck:

Shumagorath posted:

maybe if the UFC paid fighters instead of anyone reasonably athletic and north of 225lbs seeing the NFL as safer, more ethical, and vastly more lucrative

Which is why I think the comparison to Jon Jones specifically is a bit unwarranted, the average athletic dude considering both options is comparing 750k/year with like, 10k/10k per fight or something, it's not even close.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Heavyweight is trash

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

God bless Mark Hunt

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Chandler Jones has made 116 million in salary in the NFL despite being a fringe top 10 player at his position for most of his career

Fentry fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 6, 2023

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
mark hunt is correct lol

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

mark hunt is correct lol

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Fentry posted:

Chandler Jones has made 116 million in salary in the NFL despite being a fringe top 10 player at his position for most of his career

For those who don't know the NFL, how many positions are there? Its not like he's a top 10 player of the NFL, he's top 10 out of how many positions?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
All kicks landed on Jon Jones are dick kicks.

It's fitting that he won by his opponent looking like poo poo rather than him looking good. He was king of a bad division and he's moved on to a division that's even worse.

Shumagorath posted:

maybe if the UFC paid fighters instead of anyone reasonably athletic and north of 225lbs seeing the NFL as safer, more ethical, and vastly more lucrative

pretty sure you can make more as a bouncer in a mid sized city than you can in the UFC.

Actually, I said this sort of jokingly, but i picked a random heavyweight and it turns out he's on 25,000 a fight.

He actually could make more as a bouncer where I live, like really easily.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

God bless Mark Hunt

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Snowman_McK posted:

pretty sure you can make more as a bouncer in a mid sized city than you can in the UFC.

Actually, I said this sort of jokingly, but i picked a random heavyweight and it turns out he's on 25,000 a fight.

Holy poo poo; I could make more than that as a bouncer.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

For those who don't know the NFL, how many positions are there? Its not like he's a top 10 player of the NFL, he's top 10 out of how many positions?

There are 11 positions on offense and defense plus some special teams players like kickers and long snappers, Chandler is an edge rusher which teams generally roster 4 of and is one of the higher paid positions in the league. Punters and special teams players are usually the lowest paid players while Quarterbacks make by far the most money. The NFL does a player poll ranking everyone every year and Chandler has made it 5 of his 11 seasons ranking 15 at the highest in the 50-90 range his other years

Fentry fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bluedeanie posted:

God bless Mark Hunt

also this

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1632268493738459136

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Alexa Grassowns. I saw her live in Invicta on the card the Karate Hottie executed a Japanese grandmother. Glad she finally made it to the top, that's a long loving climb in MMA.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bluedeanie posted:

Alexa Grassowns.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Snowman_McK posted:

I’ve been wondering for a while now how many UFC guys have full time non-fighting gigs because yes, UFC doesn’t seem to pay a living wage until you break the top 10, and actually pays worse than a lot of unskilled jobs.

Fentry posted:

Yeah the tweet everyone has been talking about was from 2013, when Chandler Johnson was in the second year of his rookie contract. So he has earned multiple times more than Jon at this point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Champagne for Alexa Grasso the real champ,
real pain for Jon Jones the sham champ.

CarlCX posted:

Tenshin Nasukawa, the world's greatest kickboxing alien, passed all his boxing tests (this isn't a funny rejoinder, in Japan you have to actually pass a written test and successfully spar three rounds in front of officials) and is officially a professional boxer

This spontaneously reminded me of Joe Rogan doing an impression of Jim Brown commenting in UFC 1, talking about how he would automatically know how to fight MMA.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Show Win Sponsorship

Jon Jones $3m $100k $42
Ciryl Gane $500k N/A $32k
Valentina Shevchenko $500k N/A $42k
Alexa Grasso $110k $100k $32k
Geoff Neal $85k N/A $10k
Shavkat Rakhmonov $36k $36k $6k
Mateusz Gamrot $44k $44k $6k
Jalin Turner $48k N/A $6k
Bo Nickal $12k $12k $6k
Jamie Pickett $75k N/A $6k
Cody Garbrandt $85k $85k $10k
Trevin Jones $30k N/A $6k
Derek Brunson $210k N/A $15k
Dricus du Plessis $30k $30k $6k
Viviane Araújo $30k N/A $6k
Amanda Ribas $48k $48k $6k
Julian Marquez $33k N/A $6k
Marc-André Barriault $42k $42k $6k
Ian Garry $22k $22k $6k
Song Kenan $48k N/A $6k
And then all the Dwcs dudes got 12/12.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
12/12 is loving dogshit considering prelim fighters were getting 5/5 prior to Griffin-Bonnar 1.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Wtf Derek Brunson?

Presumably a typo

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

12/12 is loving dogshit considering prelim fighters were getting 5/5 prior to Griffin-Bonnar 1.

Literally everyone in the UFC's salary should have at least one 0 added to it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This is kinda fun.
stage punches: A
Gyllenhaal's footwork: C-
ref's stoppage and pull off: D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvGQHhd1GHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

It's funny how Bo Nickal is already in his late 20's as a combat sports athlete with 5 years of free labour for his school, then 3 years of unpaid competition to try to make the olympic squad, then won an mma audition fight for free, THEN had to fight another audition just cus, then had to wait another six months while the UFC slow rolled his debut to get him on a PPV card to finally net his first $24k.

I honestly don't understand how this works? Who is paying for his food, shelter, and training? Does he have a car? etc.

By comparison a full time minimum wage worker in Nevada would have career earnings of $170k by age 26.