Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

afaik the devs mentioned they wanted more challenging optional dungeons for Octopath 2 to really test your mettle, since a lot of the story missions players might roll over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The game doesn't need any more content. But patching in difficulty modifiers wouldn't be amiss.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's some fun side content bosses to play against while leveling. One or two of them made me switch out party members to counter specific bullshit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My main team is Castti, Agnea, ochette and Throne. Team Good Vibes Only

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Whose has so little a life that they'll make an LP thread?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it just me or does Octopath 2 have a ton of extra side dungeons compared to the first game? I think I'm going to have to backtrack all the low-mid level zones once I finish up the chapter 2s. I ran one on a whim and found another rusted weapon and didn't even have a boss fight for it. I need a BOTW-style map marking system so I can X out dungeons I've cleared since IDK how else to keep track of it all.

OT1 had a ton of side dungeons, it's just most of them had absolutely nothing interesting besides a few pieces of loot and blended in with the rest of the samey dungeons.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Whose has so little a life that they'll make an LP thread?

I had a weird amount of energy and passion doing OT1 so I'll probably give OT2 a go as well. Just don't expect it anytime soon.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

OT1 had a ton of side dungeons, it's just most of them had absolutely nothing interesting besides a few pieces of loot and blended in with the rest of the samey dungeons.

I had a weird amount of energy and passion doing OT1 so I'll probably give OT2 a go as well. Just don't expect it anytime soon.

Seems like all the side dungeons this time have a quest associated with them, which I like a lot. Makes them have higher stakes, also seems like they put better loot in them too. Gonna repeat myself here, but the game overall has much higher stakes and is better than the first game in pretty much every way.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I was rolling through a dungeon and wound up finding an accessory that turns all negative stats on an item positive. :stare:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ohh, so that’s why there’s a random accessory with -60 in 2 stats?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regalingualius posted:

Ohh, so that’s why there’s a random accessory with -60 in 2 stats?

It’s the Rosary of Redemption, atone for your sins you monster!!!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah the combo of those two accessories is potent. It reverses negatives of all gear on the character though so it's incredible for a lot of stuff like weapons that normally get saddled with an accuracy or crit negative or some wonky armors and stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just found that accessory, and oh man I can't wait to get some of the Forbidden weapons now...

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this game fuckin' kicks rear end. but i want a hard mode. or at least difficulty scaling on the chapter 4s

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this is a game that i'd love to play a fan made difficulty hack of in 2 years where every single chapter boss makes me sweat bullets

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Picked up the game yesterday and started with Partitio, then got Agnes, then winded down to get the rest of the West continent. Would have liked to get Oswald early but he's literally at the end of my route, so oh well.

Though it is funny starting with two pretty chill stories and then going onto Hikari's. No regrets though, Partitio is great.

I like a lot of the little things like the gang calling each other by name when they break an enemy or they're in low health. Gives them a lot more character.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is Enervating Slash bugged? The description says it's supposed to remove all beneficial effects on the foe, then hit it with a damage boost for each boost removed.

When I used it on Osvald it instead stripped him of all beneficial effects, including his SP-regeneration from his equipment, and the latter lasted multiple battles until I manually unequipped and re-equipped the SP regenerators.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Picked up the game yesterday and started with Partitio, then got Agnes, then winded down to get the rest of the West continent. Would have liked to get Oswald early but he's literally at the end of my route, so oh well.

There's a boat that takes you to the East in Canalbrine. You could've gone directly north after that to get Osvald -- not that it matters by this point.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is Enervating Slash bugged? The description says it's supposed to remove all beneficial effects on the foe, then hit it with a damage boost for each boost removed.

When I used it on Osvald it instead stripped him of all beneficial effects, including his SP-regeneration from his equipment, and the latter lasted multiple battles until I manually unequipped and re-equipped the SP regenerators.

There's a boat that takes you to the East in Canalbrine. You could've gone directly north after that to get Osvald -- not that it matters by this point.

Sounds like it might be!

In Crackridge, at night, there’s a spooky ghost(?) girl who runs off to the path to the ruins if you talk to her. What’s the deal with that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sounds like it might be!

In Crackridge, at night, there’s a spooky ghost(?) girl who runs off to the path to the ruins if you talk to her. What’s the deal with that?

It is a Sidequest you csn solve.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ImpAtom posted:

It is a Sidequest you csn solve.

I tried following it down the path but nothing happened so :shrug:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

At level 40 I find every orange sidequest can be solved inside of a minute. Only you'd never guess the solution since you'll need to comb a city of NPCs to do so.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

At level 40 I find every orange sidequest can be solved inside of a minute. Only you'd never guess the solution since you'll need to comb a city of NPCs to do so.

Some of them have fake solutions, too, which are kind of funny. You might have to think a little bit outside the box for some of them.

There’s one in Montwise that involves fighting someone in the arena and you can still clear the quest if you lose the fight but if you win, apparently you get an insanely good accessory so save that one until you’re level 50+

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Anyone found the no encounters accessory yet? I assume it's in the game and really hope it's not given at the end like in the first.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's so funny that I'm doing the same exact route in reverse. Went with Osvald first, just finished Hikari and have only Agnes and Partitio to collect before I start on chapter 2s.

I am really liking the characters and their path actions. A little surprised how much overlap there is in end result, but the fact there's a day/night split makes things more unique for characters you only meet in one phase, while the mechanics of each have a bit of characterization. There's four ways to inspect someone, but Castti asks nicely, Hikari pays them for their time, Osvald stares them down, and Temenos kindly lets you know that he will stop firing a catapult full of knives at you once you answer his questions.

edit: they named the country a coup happened in ku

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 6, 2023

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

edit: they named the country a coup happened in ku

And they named an Evil Backstory Wizard D'arqest. I love this game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

There's a lot of dead mothers in this game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Anyone found the no encounters accessory yet? I assume it's in the game and really hope it's not given at the end like in the first.

post-game super boss

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oswald's Chapter 1 boss is definitely one of the trickier ones, I had to reset and pick up more items to handle it. Ochette's was also surprisingly tough and took some resets because the boss does quite a bit of damage.

Partitio's was the most comfortable which was nice since that was my first. Rest pretty much made it super safe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

There's a lot of dead mothers in this game.

Well yeah, it's a JRPG.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Funny, I started with Throné and felt that the game didn't have enough dead mothers.

Thankfully, she agreed.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Xalidur posted:

And they named an Evil Backstory Wizard D'arqest. I love this game.

And that Roque feller, somewhat of a capitalist

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Saxophone posted:

Yeah I was rolling through a dungeon and wound up finding an accessory that turns all negative stats on an item positive. :stare:

It's kind of sick on the right person. My absolute MVP is still Hikari in the (class spoilers I guess) Arms Master class. Once I unlocked that, the sword skill alone was enough to kill the optional ocean bosses at around level 30. With the Warrior limit break skill I was hitting 30k easy on each hit. The other optional classes don't seem quite as good but I'm still figuring those out. I've hit a point of critical mass where I can venture into any area now with little trouble. After taking out the ocean bosses and collecting stuff, nothing else really seems that challenging. I do think the game is the most fun when you're punching above your weight class, though.

e: I am wondering what the best learned skills for Hikari are, though. I've found a couple that hit lots of times which I use for shields but I don't have anything that punches really hard.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 6, 2023

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh dang, noted. I already have him set up with this spear attack that hits twice. That coupled with the Engineer’s ‘go first’ ability generally means he’s demolished everything and if there is anything else, the following turn is just clean up.

He’s like 28 and an absolute monster. Prior to that Osvald was wrecking folks, but now it’s the Hikari show and everyone’s just supporting actors.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oswald's Chapter 1 boss is definitely one of the trickier ones, I had to reset and pick up more items to handle it. Ochette's was also surprisingly tough and took some resets because the boss does quite a bit of damage.

Ochette's can be the easiest chapter 1 boss if you hire the villager who takes a higher tier of jerky, since their skill is about 300x2dmg even outside of Break.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of stories with high stakes, Castti’s entire story is really hosed up!!

Someone mentioned something earlier about wishing they could mark dungeons on their map, just fyi if you walk into a dungeon it will show up on your map. Even if it’s super high level, you won’t be there long enough to fight a battle if you just walk straight back out the door. The map shows the recommended level.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I love how the finale to Osvald's story becomes having a Super Saiyan battle with Harvey after unlocking the Kamehameha through the power of love.

I mean this unironically. poo poo is so absurd it's rad.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

first chapter 2 boss I fought was Vados the Architect and though I beat him, he was harder than I expected. Suggested level was 14 and my Tenemos--the guy I started with--was like 17, and I thought that would offset Agnea/Hikari/Partitio being levels 9/12/11 respectively. I'm actually pleasantly surprised it gave me a run for my money since I'm not grinding or anything.

I have no idea what Agnea's story is gonna be, absolutely zero stakes to what she wants to do besides "i'm gonna be mariah carey"

hikari and tenemos' stories seem like the most high-stakes poo poo in terms of worldly threats.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I love that they paired the guy with one of the highest-stakes stories (Hikari) with the one who has the lowest stakes of the entire group (Agnea) for the duo sidestories

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I love that they paired the guy with one of the highest-stakes stories (Hikari) with the one who has the lowest stakes of the entire group (Agnea) for the duo sidestories

she's gonna be a goddamn star, screw that revolution poo poo

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Also finally did Castti Ch. 3 last night.

I’d already kind of figured out the twist with Malaya when I noticed that no one else was interacting with her and her inexplicable disappearing act after finishing Ch. 2, but even then… oof, that was just a chain of gut punches.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

that's awesome lol. I just got the Throne/Temenos one. Nice that they got the two amoral smartasses for this.

Is party banter something that's only in Chapter 2 or does it happen throughout all chapters? And do the older ones still stay around or do they go away as you get more?