Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Literally what I was thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

great models but insanely expensive. i messaged the dude to ask if he sells stls but i suspect he won't as the margin from the printing is probably a not insignificant part of his profit. worth a try anyway.

anyone else got a big repository of ww2 ships and aircraft? 1/2400 is what i'm looking at but 1/1200 too. interested in playing sam mustafa's new game, Nimitz, when it drops

I've been ever so slowly working on a version of this model kit set but it's 1/3000

There's also this set in 1/1200. Looks like all the rest of the 1/1200 category on HLJ is discontinued poo poo.

Edit: If you have access to a 3d printer, this person makes WW2 ships for several nations, looks like normally in 1/1800.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been ever so slowly working on a version of this model kit set but it's 1/3000

There's also this set in 1/1200. Looks like all the rest of the 1/1200 category on HLJ is discontinued poo poo.

Edit: If you have access to a 3d printer, this person makes WW2 ships for several nations, looks like normally in 1/1800.

whoops! yeah i totally meant stls, that third link looks solid thanks, will bookmark. but yeah looking for stls for home printing

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also i've been super caught up in my battletech project but i think i'm gonna make a slight return to napoleonics with 2 mm dbn. printing 2 12 element armies, will scale up to armies of 36 or 48 for play on my big table if it works out and holds my interest

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
A couple pages back user Southern Heel was doing that, check out his posts.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Springfield Fatts posted:

A couple pages back user Southern Heel was doing that, check out his posts.

yeah he actually inspired me to dig up my 2 mm napoleonics stls. this should hopefully be a quick sideproject

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

great models but insanely expensive. i messaged the dude to ask if he sells stls but i suspect he won't as the margin from the printing is probably a not insignificant part of his profit. worth a try anyway.

anyone else got a big repository of ww2 ships and aircraft? 1/2400 is what i'm looking at but 1/1200 too. interested in playing sam mustafa's new game, Nimitz, when it drops

Buddy I have great news for you, this guy has done basically every ship of the war

https://www.cgtrader.com/ghukek

Here's some of his stuff I painted up

also i've been super caught up in my battletech project but i think i'm gonna make a slight return to napoleonics with 2 mm dbn. printing 2 12 element armies, will scale up to armies of 36 or 48 for play on my big table if it works out and holds my interest

Yeah I've printed a lot of 2mm but haven't painted much. It's super quick and satisfying though

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Buddy I have great news for you, this guy has done basically every ship of the war

https://www.cgtrader.com/ghukek

you're my hero

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fuckin :lmao:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

All the small ship talk makes me miss Axis and Allies naval war game :( . Does anyone know a link to some STLs or whatever might be a resurgence of the game? I know fans are carrying on Battlefleet Gothic. Maybe AA War at Sea is also lucky.

Unrelated, does anyone own an M1 Garand? If so, could you do me a favor and tell me which of the color stains in this Behr brochure match?

https://www.behr.com/binaries/content/assets/behrdotcomrefresh/consumer/woodstain/c-behr-int-wb-stain-prtd_240524.pdf

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why does 2mm figures not have smaller plates under them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mllaneza posted:

This 1/4800 erase will not stand !

That's actually a great scale for WW1/2/Modern. The models are still very detailed, more like a small 1/2400 instead of a big 1/6000.

I have some from this shop,
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tinythingamajigs

I don't have any of either, but I was reading that 1/4800 minis are nicer, but 1/6000 better suits the battlefield scale

Also I got a bunch of minis from a kickstarter called Broadside: Hunting Grounds, I still have the STLs but I can't find where they continue to sell them, just their own website about the game they wrote

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

yeah he actually inspired me to dig up my 2 mm napoleonics stls. this should hopefully be a quick sideproject

Famous last words! :D Sounds cool though, good luck!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Right, well the last couple of units for my 10mm ECW Royalist army are done:

I used a different basing technique - gluing the outer cavalry figures to the base (or the rear rank of musketeers, front rank of pikemen) and painting them in situ ,then using Vallejo European Mud to coat the base and glue the other painted figures in place. I finally add a few dots of PVA and some flock. I think it looks quite nice - although like a fool I accidentally used 40x40mm bases for these two cavalry bases instead of 40x30mm but that's just how it's going to have to be for now.

The two officers are in theory to represent battalia commanders for games like P&S, the larger based officer is Prince Rupert and his dog, and is my commander in chief.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Famous last words! :D Sounds cool though, good luck!

lol, yeah, that's practically jinxing myself. but i did finish this french "army" (calling each stand a battalion, so this is a small division) in 2 nights so that bodes well. 6xMs, 2xMs(E), 2xNA, and a good commander

next is their austrian foe, and the table. going to be printing dozens and dozens of buildings for that to help with the mass effect

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Those look so much better than irregular- I’m trying to avoid a 3D printer but it’s looking more and more likely…

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Are those from ProjectWargaming or somewhere else?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

yeah they're project wargaming. and yeah, they're pretty great. they're very impressive for the scale, in terms of detail. i'm mostly speed painting them for an impressionistic effect which is what the model maker does as well, but the effect is still pretty good.

for terrain, i'm planning on doing the Forward March Studios style board

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Those look so much better than irregular- I’m trying to avoid a 3D printer but it’s looking more and more likely…

3d printing has totally transformed wargaming for me. we just upgraded to a saturn, it's pretty awesome. printed both these armies in 1 hour, plus all the bases as well. i print loads of battletech stuff and will be printing Frostgrave terrain as well soon

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Same, I went from a Photon S to an M3 and a mono screen was a worthwhile upgrade. There's been at least four projects I've done because it would cost me a handful of dollars to print armies. I'm doing some Turnip28 stuff and yeah I could spend $40 on slapping two Perry kits together or just $12 on two STL packs and digitally kitbash them myself. It's not always so smooth and sometime I want to throw the drat thing in the river when supports fail or I get flipper feet on minis, and frankly the level of waste involved in the process is inexcusable but overall it's nice to go "sure, I'll crank out 200 15mm Persians in two days for 5 bucks worth of material." The machines have also gotten so dirt cheap with constant sales that I'm even considering getting an FDM for bases and terrain soon.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Same, I went from a Photon S to an M3 and a mono screen was a worthwhile upgrade. There's been at least four projects I've done because it would cost me a handful of dollars to print armies. I'm doing some Turnip28 stuff and yeah I could spend $40 on slapping two Perry kits together or just $12 on two STL packs and digitally kitbash them myself. It's not always so smooth and sometime I want to throw the drat thing in the river when supports fail or I get flipper feet on minis, and frankly the level of waste involved in the process is inexcusable but overall it's nice to go "sure, I'll crank out 200 15mm Persians in two days for 5 bucks worth of material." The machines have also gotten so dirt cheap with constant sales that I'm even considering getting an FDM for bases and terrain soon.

Get a Neptune 3 Pro when it is available, it is a great FDM machine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lol, yeah, that's practically jinxing myself. but i did finish this french "army" (calling each stand a battalion, so this is a small division) in 2 nights so that bodes well. 6xMs, 2xMs(E), 2xNA, and a good commander

next is their austrian foe, and the table. going to be printing dozens and dozens of buildings for that to help with the mass effect

That rules, I have some PW 2mm stuff queued up too... Did you print flat on the plate or with supports? How are the muskets and stuff? I assume they're like a hair's width and would fall off if you breathe on them wrong.

Are those bases for DBN? Sorry for the questions, but you're doing almost the exact project I want to :)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

That rules, I have some PW 2mm stuff queued up too... Did you print flat on the plate or with supports? How are the muskets and stuff? I assume they're like a hair's width and would fall off if you breathe on them wrong.

Are those bases for DBN? Sorry for the questions, but you're doing almost the exact project I want to :)

i printed with small supports, with the strips tilted 10 degrees in both the x and y axes. i find this produces the cleanest flat bottom to the strip. i have had significant warping problems in past prototypes, but i did a lot better this time. you have to make sure they're reasonably flat before curing and not overdo the cure. although you can see i still have some mild warping. the muskets and bayonets are fragile... but not dramatically so. i found i could handle them just fine, gripping the base by the figures or muskets/bayonets themselves with my fingers in a light grip with no breakage. they're decently robust. the bases are for dbn, yeah. 40 x 20 x 2 mm, also 3d printed. the cannons are on 20 x 20 x 2 mm bases, because i intend to use them as battery markers for blucher as well if i ever paint enough figs to play that as well

i wonder if PW would sell me his cad files... i'd like to customize the strips themselves and make my own, and also maybe integrate the figures into a base of their own so i don't have to fiddle with warpage

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You might be able to just to make an ever so slightly larger base and bring it into the slicer and put it over the existing base and print away! I did something similar on accident and ended up merging two stls into a bizzare and unholy union.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

also sam mustafas nimitz just came out today. picked up the pdf and i love the interaction between campaign play and surface action battles. i smell another side project brewing...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You might be able to just to make an ever so slightly larger base and bring it into the slicer and put it over the existing base and print away! I did something similar on accident and ended up merging two stls into a bizzare and unholy union.

That worked out kind of awesome.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Absurd clipping is just what tabletop games need to start pulling people over from video games, so I approve of this union.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

also sam mustafas nimitz just came out today. picked up the pdf and i love the interaction between campaign play and surface action battles. i smell another side project brewing...

Let me know your thoughts, I'm interested but the plane rules on his example chapter... weren't the best thing to show how 'fast and simple' the game is supposed to be.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been reading Redcoats by Richard Holmes, a book about the history of the infantry in the British Army while wearing the red uniforms. There is a huge amount about the period 1750-ish to the lead-up to the Revolutionary wars. Other than a notional acceptance there must have been a transitionary period and some familiarity with the terms 'Marlburian Period' and 'Seven Years War' I realised I know almost nothing about the warfare in that period.

The introduction to the book suggests that though the details would definltey vary, in broad strokes there would be little to distinguish between a British Army of the 1750 and 1800, except some details of the uniforms, and more artillery and skirmishing in the later period.

Is there a reason why it seems to be significantly underrepresented compared to periods before (ECW/TYW) and after (Napoleonic)? I'm not going to experiment with anything at all until I've a) finished my ECW armies and b) run a campaign with them, but how much water does that statement hold? I mean who doesn't love a tricorn hat and it would be nice for my British to have opponents other than the French in the peninsular theatre/waterloo?

Speaking of underrepresented theatres, I picked up "The War of 1812" which is a block wargame and my lord, it's wonderful - I think it is definitely a better stand-in for miniatures than 2mm blobs:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 5, 2023

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's not underrepresented in my groups, but then I'm an AWI reenactor.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Let me know your thoughts, I'm interested but the plane rules on his example chapter... weren't the best thing to show how 'fast and simple' the game is supposed to be.

played the learner scenario (Operation Freya from downloads) tonight. the surface action portion of the game is great, fast and simple with loads of period flavour. almost has a bit of a battletech vibe, what with the ships slowly degrading in capability and expending things like torpedo ammo. the full game includes a separate campaign system, where there is sub and carrier action (from which chapter 10, the airstrike rules, comes into play) and by which surface action encounters can be generated. airstrikes are probably the most complex, but even then they're not all that crazy in terms of dice rolled and tables looked up, and there are no planes in surface actions, only during the campaign (unless you play with an optional rule which allows carriers to launch plane flights in a gunfight - a rare occurrence irl). thinking i'm probably going to move forward with putting together a USN vs IJN campaign in the next few months, with a campaign board. i like the game

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks, does it do the usual base length for measurement and movement or is there conversations for scale differences like 1:1800 vs 2400 etc?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks, does it do the usual base length for measurement and movement or is there conversations for scale differences like 1:1800 vs 2400 etc?

measurements are taken from the "center" of the model, he recommends calling the front smokestack the "center", and there are rangebands for both movement and gunnery. as the model represents the ship as a token, and not as an actual representation of its size (as the ground scale is dramatically out of whack in naval games), the scale is irrelevant. all measurements are to and from this center, and are the same regardless of scale (6"/9"/12" for movement, 8"-16"/12"-24" for guns, etc.). i think 1:2400 looks pretty good on a 6'x4' table, but 1:1800 would probably be fine too

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I've been reading Redcoats by Richard Holmes, a book about the history of the infantry in the British Army while wearing the red uniforms. There is a huge amount about the period 1750-ish to the lead-up to the Revolutionary wars. Other than a notional acceptance there must have been a transitionary period and some familiarity with the terms 'Marlburian Period' and 'Seven Years War' I realised I know almost nothing about the warfare in that period.

The introduction to the book suggests that though the details would definltey vary, in broad strokes there would be little to distinguish between a British Army of the 1750 and 1800, except some details of the uniforms, and more artillery and skirmishing in the later period.

Is there a reason why it seems to be significantly underrepresented compared to periods before (ECW/TYW) and after (Napoleonic)? I'm not going to experiment with anything at all until I've a) finished my ECW armies and b) run a campaign with them, but how much water does that statement hold? I mean who doesn't love a tricorn hat and it would be nice for my British to have opponents other than the French in the peninsular theatre/waterloo?

Speaking of underrepresented theatres, I picked up "The War of 1812" which is a block wargame and my lord, it's wonderful - I think it is definitely a better stand-in for miniatures than 2mm blobs:

I have their game of the Battle for Quebec, it is such a great simple game. I love playing it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

It's not underrepresented in my groups, but then I'm an AWI reenactor.

Fair play. Reading about it a little further, I'm learning about "Kabinettskriege", which I understand as a period of small-scale, limited scope wars from 1650-1790, of which the Seven Years War was one: few pitched battles, shifting coalitions, etc. Obviously the AWI is of major importance but I've not studied it at all so I don't know if it applies to this. That aside, it does explain the relatively scant representation of the period from the ECW/TYW to the Revolutionary Wars.

Virtual Russian posted:

I have their game of the Battle for Quebec, it is such a great simple game. I love playing it.

I understand that Quebec was the original, and 1812 a variant - much like how for the medieval era Hammer of the Scots is original and Richard III is a variant. I guess on this theme of block war-games we are overlapping the Board Wargames thread but as I mentioned earlier: I think if I were to continue with 2mm I think in retrospect I'd prefer to use blocks, even if they require a sabot base. They are easier to identify, track casualties, proficiency, etc. than 2mm figures IMO.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Now you've done it. You've abstracted your toy soldiers away entirely. Next thing you know you'll ditch the map and be playing node and vertex wargames.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Now you've done it. You've abstracted your toy soldiers away entirely. Next thing you know you'll ditch the map and be playing node and vertex wargames.

I should highlight my feelings are specifically only for 2mm army/corps level games - I really do love my 10mm figures and I think I've decided to stick with that scale for all my periods going forward. The Royalists I ordered from Pendraken still haven't arrived, so I'm trying so very hard to sit on my hands and not order anything else.

I think the only brake to stop me splurging on 10mm Napoleonics is that I can't decide if I want to go Peninsular or not.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It occurs to me I've not played many games with my existing 10mm figures, though! Someone in this thread suggested Pikeman's Lament as a nice ECW/TYW ruleset - so I've chucked an order in for that. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle multi-bases? I reckon 1 base == 6 figures is a fair translation?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Looks-wise, how different would the Hundred Years War be from the Wars of the Roses?

I have a bunch of generic "late Medieval" models that I think were designed for HYW, but I find the WotR more interesting, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

It occurs to me I've not played many games with my existing 10mm figures, though! Someone in this thread suggested Pikeman's Lament as a nice ECW/TYW ruleset - so I've chucked an order in for that. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to handle multi-bases? I reckon 1 base == 6 figures is a fair translation?

If Pikeman's Lament has the same unit system as Lion Rampant, an infantry unit is like 12 minis right? I tried it with my 28mm multi-bases and simply had two bases of six dudes being a unit. Using two bases for a unit and using counters for casualties is probably the cleanest solutions, if PL has the same "your unit fight as normal until it takes 50% casualties" thing that Lion Rampant has.

Count Thrashula posted:

Looks-wise, how different would the Hundred Years War be from the Wars of the Roses?

I have a bunch of generic "late Medieval" models that I think were designed for HYW, but I find the WotR more interesting, so :shrug:

Like, a lot? At least when it comes to armour types. To make a not completely accurate analogy, but one that conveys the ball park, it's like Bretonnia vs the Empire in WHFB, not that extreme. But then, it's about how strict you want to be. I've certainly fielded minis that were not 100% accurate for the period. If you have a bunch of generic Medieval models and prefer the WotR look and history, a good solution could be to simply use what you have as your base and make sure to get more contemporary minis when you expand your army. That way the anachronistic parts will gradually fade from being the main bulk of the army to being a smaller chunk of it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 6, 2023