Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
appears to be Timo time today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

whatis posted:

Yeah Buffalo hasn't really invested much into trades (sans the Jack Eichel thing) or the UFA market yet, while Ottawa and Detroit have both been more active the last 2 seasons to varying degrees of success. Ottawa has made some really nice moves, and Detroit's seem to have been a little bit more of a mixed-bag. I won't pretend to know Detroit or Ottawa's prospect pool, but Buffalo is completely stacked at forward right now and has all of its first round and surplus second round picks over the next several years, so they've certainly got the ammo to make a splash and bring in some good players. But they haven't shown the willingness to do that quite yet and have largely bought low on reclamation projects to address depth.

All three teams are in a pretty similar position and it's gonna be real interesting to see how it pans out over the next few years.

Ottawa/Buffalo/Detroit replacing Tampa/Boston/Toronto at the top of the Atlantic would honestly be pretty fun. Especially if Montreal swings around in a couple years with their rebuild to nip at their heels.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

The mindset of "gearing up to make the playoffs" is such a frustrating trap bad teams get into. The Sens and Sabres are improving, that's fantastic. But they aren't in the playoffs yet. It's a natural tendency for people to project upwards except, while there will be some measure of internal growth, other players will be injured or noticeably decline. Hockey is generally little more than a zero sum game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say Ottawa or Buffalo will make the playoffs next year, but neither is anywhere close to being a consistent threat. Look at what Detroit is doing. They are in a very similar position yet Yzerman was sold and was adamant he wasn't going to deviate from that. He recognizes that improvement is very much not linear and staking too much on one surprisingly successful season can completely derail forward momentum (see everything the Canucks have done since the bubble).

There are just 16 playoff teams, literally just half the league these days. If you can honestly look at the rosters of every team in your division and say "we are one of the top three on paper" then you can probably proceed with the reasonable expectation of making the playoffs. If you aren't, you're in the wildcard race at best. If you haven't been a regular in the playoffs to that point, you're not likely to suddenly make the necessary jump to a contender straight away. There's a couple years of playoff heartbreak before that point.

Playing well for 25 games shouldn't make anyone lose sight of the bigger picture. If Ottawa en Buffalo squeeze in this year and then challenge for a divisional spot next year, then party is on. Otherwise, caution should very much be the name of the game with those franchises. It sucks to keep waiting, but what's one more year when you're waited ten?

I don't think Ottawa gave up much for Chychrun, and he helps in the future as well, so I was fine with that move for them.

I do think there's something to be said for giving your fans some hope as well. I don't think Buffalo or Ottawa should sell the farm to gear up for the playoffs, but if they'd made some modest additions to try and make it that seems worth it to me. Like if you're Buffalo maybe don't trade your first or top prospects, but maybe add a vet rental or two because why not? If you squeeze into the playoffs you give the fans a lot of hope and let them enjoy playoff hockey for the first time in forever.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Always great how the fans of every single team not in the top four in its conference at any given time passionately believe the GM is an idiot and borderline criminal and should be fired a month ago.

I support my GM despite being No. 12 in the conference. I was stunned that he actually Did The Thing and moved Orlov, Hathaway , Gustaffson, Johansson and Eller. Getting Sandin out of the mix is fantastic. Re-signing Strome, Aube-Kubel, Jensen and Milano all seem like solid moves. McLellan has also said he wants to sign pending UFAs TVR and Sheary.

I wish there was more he could do with the forward group. Especially Mantha. But all things considered I like what I saw.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

I support my GM despite being No. 12 in the conference. I was stunned that he actually Did The Thing and moved Orlov, Hathaway , Gustaffson, Johansson and Eller. Getting Sandin out of the mix is fantastic. Re-signing Strome, Aube-Kubel, Jensen and Milano all seem like solid moves. McLellan has also said he wants to sign pending UFAs TVR and Sheary.

I wish there was more he could do with the forward group. Especially Mantha. But all things considered I like what I saw.

Washington is the one team that re tool is the right word since Ovie, and yeah they made good moves this deadline.

Thank god Pittsburgh didn’t follow in their example, so when the Penguins miss the playoffs by 1 point , they also have no future for next year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't think Ottawa gave up much for Chychrun, and he helps in the future as well, so I was fine with that move for them.

I do think there's something to be said for giving your fans some hope as well. I don't think Buffalo or Ottawa should sell the farm to gear up for the playoffs, but if they'd made some modest additions to try and make it that seems worth it to me. Like if you're Buffalo maybe don't trade your first or top prospects, but maybe add a vet rental or two because why not? If you squeeze into the playoffs you give the fans a lot of hope and let them enjoy playoff hockey for the first time in forever.

I like the Chychrun move. It helping this year is not relevant, it’s a good trade for a guy who can be impactful next year and potentially re-sign.

I don’t think either Ottawa or Buffalo should have been buyers, I just don’t think there was much value in trying to sell either. They aren’t bad enough to really compete for a lottery pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1632505374619193348

Who started the suit and skicap thing? This is loving Arizona lol

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
nhl players trying to do fashion is really sad

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

clean ayers act posted:

At least they've finally made it to the 90s.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
So.... Tampa managed to go an entire period without recording a shot on goal

Good work Carolina, I gues?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

grack posted:

So.... Tampa managed to go an entire period without recording a shot on goal

Good work Carolina, I gues?

I’m starting to think their might be something wrong with Tampa.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

kill me now posted:

Yeah. It’s march. Lmao.

https://twitter.com/WeissHockeyTalk...s1_c10&ref_url=

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

kill me now posted:

There's not

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I'm counting Tampa Bay out. There's no chance they make the playoffs.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
If the tampa bay lightning hockey club don’t win the cup this year, I will stop posting from my “Aphrodite” account.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

kill me now posted:

Tampa take it easy every March-midApril when their playoff spot is secure then get serious again the last few weeks going into the playoffs. One of many ways Cooper is smarter than most other coaches.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Lightning just want the Leafs to be heavy favorites against a perennial contender so there's a new storyline for the inevitable game 7 meltdown.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/NJDevils/status/1632505374619193348

Who started the suit and skicap thing? This is loving Arizona lol
Why do athletes need to dress in a suit when on the job? Its never made much sense to me.

Back when I used to go to Kings practices, all the players would show up in same casual attire: t-shirt, khaki shorts, flip flops.

At least the NBA relaxed the coaches dress code.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 6, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Kite posted:

Why do athletes need to dress in a suit when on the job? Its never made much sense to me.

Where do you want me to leave this stack of Coach's Corner segments on this very topic?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mr. Kite posted:

Back when I used to go to Kings practices, all the players would show up in same casual attire: t-shirt, khaki shorts, flip flops.

Some of the players deviate as much as theyre allowed to get away with but apparently coaches in the NHL are still very much Old Time Hockey or something dumb. Burns/Thornton/Marleau were constantly the subject of Don Cherry's ire for showing up in shorts, flip flops, and Hawaiian t-shirts back in the day.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

whatis posted:

I won't pretend to know Detroit or Ottawa's prospect pool
And now, you don't have to!

Wheeler, Athletic posted:

24. OTTAWA SENATORS
After trading their 2022 first-round pick and a wave of graduations in recent seasons, the Senators’ pool is thinner on top-end talent than it has been in years. But a strong group of projectable B-grade prospects with NHL tools and a Senators identity to them should still give them a few future NHLers.

Here’s a full breakdown of their top 15,

2022 prospect pool rank: No. 17 (change: -7)
1. Ridly Greig, C/LW, 20 (Belleville Senators)
After an excellent final season in the WHL and a strong performance as a go-to defensive player at the world juniors (which were shortened by a shoulder injury that delayed the start of his season), Greig has stepped right into the AHL and continued to progress nicely towards his projection as an up-and-down the lineup NHL forward who can add skill to a bottom six or get after it with skilled players.

He’ll still take the odd bad penalty, but Greig plays with fire, wins battles above his weight class, gets up and under sticks to take back pucks, will sacrifice the body the block a shot, and just gives you a bit of everything as an energizing forechecker who can also find space in and out of coverage with and without the puck. He’s fearless, he takes pucks to dirty areas, he’s a heart and soul guy, he’s always around it, he skates well, he’s physical, he’s feisty, and he’s going to endear himself to fans for his style of play.

Greig is a driven, up-tempo forward of equal parts skill and work ethic who can play centre and the wing. He’s defined by his tenaciousness, but he can make plays in traffic, his wrister is accurate (though I wouldn’t say it’s threatening from long range), he’s willing to attack and try things, and he almost never looks to cheat or play selfishly within that game. He’s also an August birthday, which gives him continued runway to add elements offensively. He’s a gamer.

2. Zack Ostapchuk, LW, 19 (Winnipeg Ice)
The more I’ve learned about and watched Ostapchuk, the fonder I’ve grown of him as a kid and future NHL player. He’s not going to be a point producer at the next level and I debated ranking him lower here than I settled, but with his blend of size (6-foot-3), speed, physicality, shot, and sheer determination on the ice, I like him to become what Barclay Goodrow became to the Cup-winning Lightning. His effort and execution are always consistent. He’s always engaged and applying pressure with the puck to attack, or without it to try to force opposing players into rushed decisions or come up with a steal.

He drives the net extremely well in control with his plus-level skating and length in puck protection. He always seems to win his races. He’s got a good curl-and-drag wrister. He’s great along the boards pushing through contact on the cycle. He’s still a little raw in some ways but he plays an intense game that is complemented by quick hands and good feel in the dirty areas around the net or in the corner. He doesn’t process the game particularly well, but his honest, go-getter, straight-lines game should make him a useful fourth-line player and I wonder if he can maybe be slightly more than that in the prime of his career. This may be a little high, but outside of Greig all of the Sens prospects project as depth pieces and his game feels the most translatable. Look for him to rise to the occasion in the WHL playoffs now that he has been traded to Winnipeg.

Here’s one WHL coach on Ostapchuk: “He has shown that the pace wasn’t an issue for him, especially with his size. Because a lot of times the bigger the guy is it’s harder to get around and at the world junior level all teams have speed. His straightaway speed is good and the one thing he has going for him is he’s never afraid to get first to puck touches. A lot of guys will start to slow up and he doesn’t. He just keeps going and he’ll get in there and make that next little play with the puck.”

3. Jacob Bernard-Docker, RHD, 22 (Ottawa Senators/Belleville Senators)
The clock is now starting to tick on Bernard-Docker becoming the defensively reliable, complementary D partner that the Sens were hoping he’d become when they drafted him in the first round back in 2018. Whether he makes the jump full time or not, this will be his last year on this list because of his age. I still think he gets there, though. JBD’s game has always been better than his statical profile, which can make a player more difficult to explain.

His game doesn’t have a ton of dimension to it but it also doesn’t really have any holes in it. His wrister comes off his blade hard and he does a good job crossing over through his footwork to place it through lanes or take space off the blue line. He’s a heads-up outlet passer who can occasionally stretch the ice. He plays through layers fine as a passer. His stride is fairly powerful, pushing him through neutral ice to join or occasionally lead rushes.

And then defensively, he’s an impressive one-on-one defender, funneling carriers to the outside and playing physically on gaps at the right time. He’s also sound positionally within his own zone, rarely chasing the play or losing his man in coverage. He lacks soft skill for the NHL level but I still like him as a solid and effective no-fuss two-way third-pairing defenceman.

4. Tyler Boucher, RW, 19 (Ottawa 67’s)
Boucher is a flawed player who might just make it anyway. There is a lot to like. Off the ice, he has always been credited as a physically and emotionally mature kid who is articulate, polite, intelligent, and built broad like an NHLer already. On the ice, he hits like a truck, gives it his all between whistles, and plays with power. But he hasn’t been able to escape injury troubles for three seasons now, his statistical profile doesn’t promise NHL, and his game can lack dimension beyond his physicality, his strength, and his NHL shot (it really pops off of his stick).

He’s got quick hands and some soft skill, but he’s not a particularly quick skater, so those hands are most useful in short moments in traffic, when the game slows down inside the offensive zone, or on catch-and-release sequences for his shot, because he’s not a particularly dangerous or threatening rush player. His catch-and-release is both effortless and powerful (though he can miss the net a little too much for my liking).

He’s good on the bumper on the power play. He’ll get to the front of the net and makes plays off the cycle, and he’ll score some clean goals with his shot, but when the pace in games ramps up, his impact typically lessens. Can he become a complementary power forward in a bottom-six role? I think so. He certainly has some NHL tools. Will he produce like a No. 10 pick? Not likely. As long as he and the Sens can proceed accordingly and not get ahead of themselves in his development, he might be all right. I’ll be keeping a close eye on him with the now-loaded 67’s, because he’s more effective when he’s surrounded by talent than when he feels like he has to create for himself and starts forcing things

5. Egor Sokolov, RW/LW, 22
(Belleville Senators)
Sokolov’s an impossibly likable kid with a unique makeup as a player. He’s an extremely heavy (222 pounds, which is actually down from what it once was), 6-foot-3 winger who stays over pucks, plays through bumps, holds onto pucks more than you might expect, and works his way off the wall to the slot to drive into his powerful wrister, get open, or pounce on rebounds with surprising skill in tight.

He’s extremely hard to push off possession, he’s a huge presence on the cycle and in front of the net, and then he’ll also place a puck into a tiny hole from a tough angle or play a puck through sticks to himself or a teammate. Sokolov’s biggest NHL obstacle has always been his skating, which can look a little sluggish. And while he’s definitely never going to be fleet of foot, I think his other tools probably make him a depth NHLer anyway. He’s got some surprising playmaking skill.

quote:

4. DETROIT RED WINGS

After graduating just one player from last year’s list (Joe Veleno) and adding a nine-pick 2022 draft class to system, the Red Wings’ pool, which was already a top-10 group in the league, is improved year-over-year.

They’ve got a top prospect at forward, on defense and in net, a handful of prospects behind that core three who look legit, and decent depth throughout, with the only glaring need being a lack of right-shot D prospects (all six of the defensemen who made their list are lefties).

2022 prospect pool rank: No. 7 (change: +3)

1. Simon Edvinsson, LHD, 20 (Grand Rapids Griffins) 

After an excellent post-draft season playing big minutes in the SHL and a leading role at the world juniors, Edvinsson has had a really strong first pro season in North America. This year’s Griffins are not good, and he has been impactful at both ends considering that context — and that he just turned 20 on Sunday.

He has really cleaned up areas of his game that needed (and still need) some development.

His ceiling is extremely high and is backed by a unique set of traits and skills for a 6-foot-6, 215-pound player (let alone a defenseman). These include his uncharacteristically soft hands and control of the puck, his fearlessness with and without it, and his strong foundational knowledge of how to use his towering frame to defend in a variety of ways (with a good, active stick, with step-up physicality when opportunities present themselves, with good neutral-zone gapping and steering, on box-outs, etc.).

If he can develop his shot (one of those areas that still needs work), continue to smooth out his game and make better choices with the consistency that he has begun to these last two seasons, the potential is there in spades. It has also been nice to see him begin to make more play-ending passes and create a ton of chances to add to his already-dominant transition game, as a surprisingly confident carrier and transporter for a big man.

I hate this cliche but you really can’t teach hands like his at that size. He tries things, he usually pulls them off and he’s extremely comfortable handling the puck under pressure. He has also found greater control of his gangly frame (he’s a good skater and always has been, but his stride can splay from the knees) and takes up a lot of space defensively. I like how vocal he is for his age out there — a sign of his confidence. I like how hard he makes it for players to get around him. I like how his head is always up (easier said than done when you’re as tall as he is). I like his creativity banking and playing pucks off the wall in the defensive zone.

He’s going to be a very good — and different — player if he can maintain his take-charge mentality on both sides of the puck and put it all together at the NHL level.

2. Marco Kasper, C, 18 (Rogle BK)

You won’t find anyone in the SHL, with the Austrian hockey federation, or working for an NHL club in amateur scouting who doesn’t like Kasper’s game and approach to it. He has really impressed scouts, teammates and coaches with the way he has managed one of the world’s top pro levels as a teenager.

I love his patience with the puck. He doesn’t shy away from trying to beat or out-wait guys (whether through changes of directions out of stop-ups or curls) and he’s got a really low panic threshold. He’s also a good skater who never lacks in effort and always stops on pucks. He’s an advanced 200-foot forward who was able to progress up levels as fast as he did because of how rounded his game is. He’s feisty and fights off his fair share of checks to stay on pucks. He has made real progress filling out his 6-foot-1 frame (now about 190 pounds). There’s a bit of a hunch to his stride, but he leverages his edges well, building speed through the neutral zone to push pace with the puck.

I don’t see game-breaking skill or finishing, per se, but he plays with pro pace, he’s a good passer, he plays on the interior and he makes plays all over the ice. The maturity and smarts in his game define him. He plays an almost mistake-free game. And maybe most importantly, he has handled the responsibilities of center ice really well this year (after playing exclusively the wing in the SHL in his draft year). It’s a big deal that he has won more draws than he has lost and has driven possession and goal-differential results at five-on-five this year. I’m not sure he’s quite dynamic enough with the puck to become a true first-line center and point-per-game type, but he’s got all of the makings of an excellent 2C who can influence play in all three zones at five-on-five, on the power play and maybe even on the penalty kill.

3. Sebastian Cossa, G, 20 (Toledo Walleye/Grand Rapids Griffins)

Cossa is a huge (6-foot-6), powerful, athletic goalie, and those last two things don’t always come with the first. He’s a fiery, confident, talkative competitor who doesn’t like to get beat (which contrasts with the stoic demeanor we see in many goalies) and wants to command the net and the room. Bigger goalies often struggle with their movements and their recoveries, but neither is an issue for Cossa. His positioning (he does a really good job holding his outside edges to be patient on shots) and reflexes (he’s got great hands up high) help him block and grab a lot of pucks. But it’s his ability to bounce back into his stance or change directions with passes that separates him. His power through his pushes gives him rare side-to-side ability for a goalie that big.

But there are also some question marks. Some of them are contextual, like how good the Oil Kings were in front of him for three years, and some of the leaks his game has displayed while playing behind teams with less structure in front of him (including in Hockey Canada camps and now this year in the ECHL, a league that’s notoriously hard on goalies). But other questions are about the tools, including some of the trouble he faces closing his five-hole because of his size (this is a major recurring issue, even though he does a really good job kicking pucks aimed for the lower corners) and the way he can occasionally lose himself in his net on scramble plays (those strong pushes to get to tough lateral saves can pull him off his lines). He can get pulled out of his net overcommitting on dekes, too.

His natural gifts give him undeniable upside, though. When he’s set and square to shots (as he almost always is), he’s tough to beat. I’ve seen him look unflappable and make point-blank save after point-blank save when he’s dialed in. I’ve also seen him look rattled as shots sneak through holes they shouldn’t be finding. I still think he’s got starter upside due to his combination of size, dexterity and rare explosiveness in the net, but he’s got work to do, and patience will be imperative.

4. Jonatan Berggren, LW/RW, 22 (Detroit Red Wings/Grand Rapids Griffins)

After years plagued by injuries, Berggren just keeps hitting checkpoints of late. There was his tremendous 20-year-old season in the SHL two years ago. There was his team-leading 64-point rookie season in the AHL last year. And now there has been a smooth, productive transition into an NHLer in what would have been his last year of eligibility for this list due to age — but that will be a moot point as he graduates to full-time NHLer anyway.

Berggren can torment teams with his east-west skill on the perimeter, hanging onto pucks, playing with unique poise under pressure and using his hands and footwork to draw defenders to him so that his linemates can get open in the space those defenders leave behind. He has also, in the last three seasons, gotten to the inside more proficiently. Berggren has clear line-driving upside and an ingenuity to his game that helps him create plays out of nothing, surprise defenders and goalies, and spend a lot of his time dictating with the puck on his stick, layering stop-ups and low-to-high players into carrying sequences. He’s not going to be a big goal-scorer at the NHL level but I like him as a playmaking top-nine winger with clear power-play value who gives you 15 to 20 goals a year and 40 to 50 points (and maybe more with the right linemates and a good run of luck the odd season). One of my favorites.

5. Carter Mazur, LW/RW, 20 (University of Denver)

The best story in the Red Wings pool these last two years, Mazur’s play at Denver has become a real talking point in college hockey circles. His 38 points last year on the national champions tied for third among under-20 forwards last year, and both of the players ahead of him were sophomores with the benefit of a season’s worth of experience. This season, in his sophomore campaign, he’s wearing an “A” and his 17 goals to date are tied for first among under-21 skaters with Leafs top prospect Matthew Knies.

Mazur’s a hard-working, honest 200-foot winger with enough skill to make plays all over the ice and finish around the net. Every team wants the three-zone, competitive winger who can play up and down the lineup, and that’s what he’s now starting to project as. He’s physical. He plays a hard and heavy game. His office is in front. He’s got underrated feel for the puck. He’s opportunistic offensively because of how quickly he gets pucks off and his timing off of pucks getting open into space and pouncing on rebounds.

His game really fits the bumper role on the power play because of the way he positions himself to take passes (and how quickly he turns and shoots). He’s sturdy and wiry-strong for a 6-foot player. He’s a hound on pucks, he’s difficult to knock off of them, and then he’s got sneaky skill. And then to use some cliches, he “plays the right way” and “does the little things.” He doesn’t have a ton of creativity or dynamism one-on-one, but he’s a straight shooter who will make a good third-line, PP2 winger who can play up the lineup where needed.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Kite posted:

Because if they don’t Big Buff will appear and throw their clothes in the shower

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Paracaidas posted:

drat. That’s a lot of words. Bruh imma respect that pool cuz of the words posting guy.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Paracaidas posted:

This is why Ottawa is starting to go for it and Detroit pulled the plug. Ottawa is still in good shape, as evidenced by how they absolutely dummied Detroit back-to-back, but all of those Detroit prospects are likely NHLers, and the core is being built around under-22 players.

Detroit is going to have an incredible amount of depth. They're going to have to work some magic to get some true elite forward talent before they'll be contenders.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mike Works posted:

TSN Canucks beat reporter (Farhan Lalji) says the Canucks turned down 2 firsts for Miller, I am numb.

ahaha what the gently caress

I had no time for hockey news this weekend, what a wonderful way to start the week.

Well, time to skim the next few pages and see how much worse it gets.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fisting by many posted:

ahaha what the gently caress

I had no time for hockey news this weekend, what a wonderful way to start the week.

Well, time to skim the next few pages and see how much worse it gets.

In your heart of hearts do you really think it can get worse than “Canucks said no to two firsts for Miller because they need a center”?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good to hear that the first adjectives describing Ottawa's #4 prospect are articulate and polite, the most critical traits for a long NHL career.

e: also he's close to being PPG... in the OHL.. in his draft+2 season.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 6, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Very excited to drive to Buffalo and watch the Oilers in person for the first time since 2019. Gonna eat some wings and watch Connor rock out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Very excited to drive to Buffalo and watch the Oilers in person for the first time since 2019. Gonna eat some wings and watch Connor rock out.

Where are you planning to get wings?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Where are you planning to get wings?

No clue since its been 4 years since I've been in Buffalo so definitely up for suggestions.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

eXXon posted:

Good to hear that the first adjectives describing Ottawa's #4 prospect are articulate and polite, the most critical traits for a long NHL career.

e: also he's close to being PPG... in the OHL.. in his draft+2 season.
Yea, I was shocked at how thin and lovely Ottawa's pool was. At least in the eyes of the Athletic

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

In your heart of hearts do you really think it can get worse than “Canucks said no to two firsts for Miller because they need a center”?

yeah lol

They conceivably could have sold all their picks and prospects to immediately improve just enough to get out of range of 1OA.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

HookShot posted:

it gets worse when you hear who they were trying to get to replace miller

(it was lafreniere)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

No clue since its been 4 years since I've been in Buffalo so definitely up for suggestions.

My favorite spot is Gabriel’s Gate on Allen Street. Their food is also pretty good, they have a lot of hot sandwiches and their French onion soup is very good.

Anchor Bar on Main is the original but their wings are pretty meh. I like the Spicy BBQ ones though.

If you want to try something new, I’ve heard that Lenox Grill on North near Delaware is really good. It’s in the basement of the Lenox Hotel, a hotel turned apartment building. I’d be interested to hear about them.

If you want pizza & wings there are a million places, I’m a big fan of Just Pizza but their wings aren’t amazing but they aren’t bad either. It’s on Elmwood and Summer. LaNova supposedly has great wings but the city location is kinda far from downtown. They also have Buffalo-style pizza which is divisive.

Those are just a few spots close to downtown off the top of my head.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why have Florida struggled so much this year? They seem to have come out on top of the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade and Bob/Knight have provided seemingly perfectly adequate (albeit unexpectional) goaltending. Their offence has been good with only Bennett and Reinhart seeing any sort of significant drop from last year (and even then it's not like they fell off a cliff or anything). Their GAA is somehow 23rd in the league but aside from the loss of Weegar their D is pretty much the same as last year.

What's going on? I know they overreacted and fired Brunette and replaced him with Maurice who isn't great but there's got to be more going on there. I can't believe coaching can be solely responsible for a drop of what looks to be 30 standings points year over year. Were they just playing way over their heads in 2022?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
was just looking at the schedule this week and Boston plays Detroit at 1pm on Saturday, and then they both fly to Detroit for a 1:30pm game on Sunday. Kind of goofy. I assume one of them is a rescheduled game but I don't remember a game being postponed.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

clean ayers act posted:

I would have gone nuts with crazy suits too if I was a millionaire at age 20

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

was just looking at the schedule this week and Boston plays Detroit at 1pm on Saturday, and then they both fly to Detroit for a 1:30pm game on Sunday. Kind of goofy. I assume one of them is a rescheduled game but I don't remember a game being postponed.

Nope, it's been that way since the schedule was released. The Wings' entire March schedule is actually very stupid, with 15 games and 4 back-to-backs. It's a big reason we had the sell-off.

Also why I hesitated on buying tickets for this one -- Wings @ Bruins is always stupid expensive and I already got my share of pain from the October game. I hope Bertuzzi lights us up.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Why have Florida struggled so much this year? They seem to have come out on top of the Tkachuk/Huberdeau trade and Bob/Knight have provided seemingly perfectly adequate (albeit unexpectional) goaltending. Their offence has been good with only Bennett and Reinhart seeing any sort of significant drop from last year (and even then it's not like they fell off a cliff or anything). Their GAA is somehow 23rd in the league but aside from the loss of Weegar their D is pretty much the same as last year.

What's going on? I know they overreacted and fired Brunette and replaced him with Maurice who isn't great but there's got to be more going on there. I can't believe coaching can be solely responsible for a drop of what looks to be 30 standings points year over year. Were they just playing way over their heads in 2022?

They're 6th in the league in 5v5 expected goals. 8th in gf/game. 23rd in ga/game.

Last year they were 2nd in 5v5 expected goals. 1st in gf/game. 12th in ga/game.

Seems like defending is an issue. I don't know why the goals against has dropped off that hard. At a glance their goaltending doesn't look that much worse statistically.

There's probably a little bit of bad luck going on as well. With the xgoals they're putting up I'd expect them to be doing better than they are, even with suspect goaltending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

No not really. Maurice just really is that bad. He was a mediocre coach on the best day of his life and the game passed him by a decade ago.