Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

one in four people still think the tories are doing a good job

The Tories could be sat on the floor in their own poo poo and so long as house prices keep going up there are parts of the Home Counties who will always say the Tories are doing a good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Bunch of cunts posted:

Others – those who have bought country houses costing £2m-£4m – are selling the London flat they kept as an investment “to bridge the financial gap created by rising interest rates and the cost of living”

Bunch of cunts posted:

For those whose lifestyles include domestic staff, wages have risen by 10-25pc. "This is because there is so much demand they can pick and choose the work they want to take on. Try getting a gardener in South Oxfordshire. If you find one, expect to pay £35 an hour for weeding.”

Meanwhile, nannies and grooms “expect two-bedroom accommodation and expect to bring their own pets, a two-hour lunch break and 30-days holiday. That’s before you have even discussed their hourly rate,” she says.

Sounds really tough, and so very relatable to all of us.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I charge £50 an hour for Saturday weeding here in Cornwall. If you don't want your air b&b/holiday let customers inconvenienced by having a gardener show up during the week then expect to pay a premium for weekend between 10am and 3pm on Saturday changeover day.

E. Weeding, mow, blow and waste away

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 5, 2023

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I recall they did a prison interview with this disgraced former swedish red cross chief who'd been caught stealing millions from his charity, and he argued that he'd been acting because of poverty--relative poverty that is, not poverty in any other sense, he didn't--and shouldn't--argue he was hard off. After paying green fees, boarding school for two kids, having dinner invitations with the upscale high brow society and so on, his decent-but-not-obscene salary didn't cut it, and that was the actual reason he'd started "supplementing" it. He did really seem to be regretful and content with serving time for his crimes

What struck me was that he described circumstances that, while painfully middle class myself didn't exactly relate to directly, the stress and sense of impotence from being unable to afford the things you think you should, I did find eerily familiar--there is a dimension to relative poverty that you're always potentially vulnerable to, whatever your financial circumstances. I think it's important to consider that in instances when we're enticed to instead hahaha just eat your loving ponies you immeasurably tedious loving "oh let's talk to Zoe at the Telegraph" self-satisfied pampered loving wankers

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
what the gently caress is even a "groom" I refuse to google it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everybody has to deal with not being able to have everything they want, but most of us also have to deal with not having everything we need either.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

what the gently caress is even a "groom" I refuse to google it

Like a butler for your horses

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Sounds really tough, and so very relatable to all of us.

The true victims of Brexit!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

We moved to the countryside: nobody told me that this would mean we'd no longer get the benefits of city living.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I recall they did a prison interview with this disgraced former swedish red cross chief who'd been caught stealing millions from his charity, and he argued that he'd been acting because of poverty--relative poverty that is, not poverty in any other sense, he didn't--and shouldn't--argue he was hard off. After paying green fees, boarding school for two kids, having dinner invitations with the upscale high brow society and so on, his decent-but-not-obscene salary didn't cut it, and that was the actual reason he'd started "supplementing" it. He did really seem to be regretful and content with serving time for his crimes

What struck me was that he described circumstances that, while painfully middle class myself didn't exactly relate to directly, the stress and sense of impotence from being unable to afford the things you think you should, I did find eerily familiar--there is a dimension to relative poverty that you're always potentially vulnerable to, whatever your financial circumstances. I think it's important to consider that in instances when we're enticed to instead hahaha just eat your loving ponies you immeasurably tedious loving "oh let's talk to Zoe at the Telegraph" self-satisfied pampered loving wankers

Well, maybe don't send your kids to boarding school & drop the golf club rather than stealing from a charity. I don't know though, I'm poor & miserable so I'm probably just jealous. Politics of envy etc etc.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

OwlFancier posted:

Everybody has to deal with not being able to have everything they want, but most of us also have to deal with not having everything we need either.

It's this.

I'm not struggling for food, heat, or comfortable living, but running my mouth about inability to afford comparative luxuries around those that are actually struggling would rightly garner resentment.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If you don't send your kids to boarding school, you don't make the connections that get them the painfully middle class jobs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
sorry, no, "relative poverty" isn't a thing despite all the Guardian columns trying to convince people that actually it's very hard coping when you have a 6-figure household income

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Most of it is just the utterly stupid high-end secondary education system in Britain, it's so pricey that only the genuinely wealthy can afford it without impoverishing themselves.

e: I'm almost certain it is also a major contributor to the lack of equality and social mobility in Britain.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 5, 2023

Mebh
May 10, 2010

That article filled me with a boiling rage. Rich cunts selling their london flat to buy a "£2-4 million" country house then having conniptions that they have to pay a gardener £35 an hour for weeding. gently caress all the way off with your ponies and your Aga. I hope you drive into a field filled with silage.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

sorry, no, "relative poverty" isn't a thing despite all the Guardian columns trying to convince people that actually it's very hard coping when you have a 6-figure household income
It was useful for explaining how poverty can still exist in prosperous developed states despite 96% of poor people owning a refrigerator, because there are differing levels of precarity, and while "well you're better off than an orphan in Yemen" may be true you can't eat that sentiment.

Like all things it got abused by the HENRYs to mean "I'm sad because I have to pay my gardener and choose which horse goes to private school"

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

forkboy84 posted:

We moved to the countryside: nobody told me that this would mean we'd no longer get the benefits of city living.

Well, maybe don't send your kids to boarding school & drop the golf club rather than stealing from a charity. I don't know though, I'm poor & miserable so I'm probably just jealous. Politics of envy etc etc.

There are two boarding schools in Sweden, may have been three at the time. It's such a ridiculously upperclass thing I imagine it alone got him a beating or two, even in low security baby prison

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Mebh posted:

That article filled me with a boiling rage. Rich cunts selling their london flat to buy a "£2-4 million" country house then having conniptions that they have to pay a gardener £35 an hour for weeding. gently caress all the way off with your ponies and your Aga. I hope you drive into a field filled with silage.

While I wholeheartedly agree they need to gently caress right off, silage is just slightly mouldy grass. Now a muck spread field or a field that has been spread with fish guts and shellfish shell.......

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminded of that article by the person who moved to the country and then demanded the farmers stop muck spreading because it made everywhere smell.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
like that guardian article represents what 0.01% of people or something? Like just don't worry about it and think about more important things than people who have 5 million quid and are upset. Like charge them 50quid an hour to cut their grass

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Former head of the Social Mobility Commission somehow finding a way to post even weirder hot takes:

https://twitter.com/tabitasurge/status/1632441808666886151?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
50 years ago we agreed that Jimmy Savile should have a more active role in children's entertainment, so I'm not sure that's a good guide to the present.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OwlFancier posted:

Reminded of that article by the person who moved to the country and then demanded the farmers stop muck spreading because it made everywhere smell.
You don't have a link to this do you?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cat botherer posted:

You don't have a link to this do you?

Oh god it was ages ago, and I can't remember actually if it was an article or one of those letters to the editor or something, I am sure I read it in here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's like people who move next door to 1000 year old churches and complain about the call to service bell ringing on Sundays.

Anyway muckspreading complaint

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/londoner-claims-smell-muckspreading-forced-9469813

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 5, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's like people who move next door to 1000 year old churches and complain about the call to service bell ringing on Sundays.

Anyway muckspreading complaint

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/londoner-claims-smell-muckspreading-forced-9469813

Or the cunts who move next to music venues that have been running for decades and then get them shut down for noise.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Salisbury Snape posted:

While I wholeheartedly agree they need to gently caress right off, silage is just slightly mouldy grass. Now a muck spread field or a field that has been spread with fish guts and shellfish shell.......

Fair point! Shows how little I country. I meant manure!

Met my new neighbour today when they came round to apologise for their grandchild "Theodore" raining small military men with parachutes into my rhubarb patch from the bathroom window.

"He shan't be allowed to play with those outdoors again! "
But why? It was quite amusing and meant I got to check the rhubarb and I've got loads under the buckets. Crumble time tomorrow!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

50 years ago we agreed that Jimmy Savile should have a more active role in children's entertainment, so I'm not sure that's a good guide to the present.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Well, Savile wasn't a dangerous stranger. Everyone knew who he was.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lara_spirit/status/1632521144409497600

:toot:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Most of it is just the utterly stupid high-end secondary education system in Britain, it's so pricey that only the genuinely wealthy can afford it without impoverishing themselves.
"Instead of donating 10k a year to the local comp so everyone's kids get better resources, I'm going to pay twice that to send just my kid to the fancy school so they're safe from bullying and their fat board of governors can buy another house to rent" is about the size of it.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

For services to Greek holidays during lockdown?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's like society had been labouring for decades under the misapprehension that public outrage could stop you doing whatever the gently caress you wanted to do and the tories have just discovered the truth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

like that guardian article represents what 0.01% of people or something? Like just don't worry about it and think about more important things than people who have 5 million quid and are upset. Like charge them 50quid an hour to cut their grass

*telegraph

also did you add that paragraph to your redtitle or is someone else dickriding for you

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Kill All Cops posted:

Sir Boris Johnson OBE, of the House of Lords when?

Welp

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It's like society had been labouring for decades under the misapprehension that public outrage could stop you doing whatever the gently caress you wanted to do and the tories have just discovered the truth.

This is exactly what happened, yes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is incredible TV

https://twitter.com/planet_belfast/status/1632678024972730368?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is the best lawyering I've seen in a long time

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pol prof levels of lawyering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How did you get this picture of Seaside Loafer?