Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well if that old native couple can find enough food to be obese, the people at the resort aren't trying hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I just assumed Joel murdered everyone else at the resort offscreen. He was on a rampage

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

navyjack posted:

The big set piece zombie fights we fun as hell, especially when you had to use strategy and resources to get through, but they would be dull as poo poo to watch except on rare occasion for spectacle.

The way they survived that fight seemed more lucky than Ellie just being a brutal killer which is more of the point of the story in the game.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Searched the thread for the word "pipe" and, well, there must be a lot of satisfied viewers after tonight.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I never got the impression from the game that the cultists were unaware of the cannibalism, and was surprised when that was the angle they went with here.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
aight idc about spoilers. episode was good, but this one thing's kinda bugging me.

Are the different people commenting on how Ellie is a "clever and natural leader" an artifact from dialogue in the games where you control her, or is the show fumbling on actually depicting that part?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

lezard_valeth posted:

aight idc about spoilers. episode was good, but this one thing's kinda bugging me.

Are the different people commenting on how Ellie is a "clever and natural leader" an artifact from dialogue in the games where you control her, or is the show fumbling on actually depicting that part?

no, and i don’t understand why it’s come up in two episodes tbh

she never leads poo poo, her people are constantly telling her she’s loving up and doing the wrong thing, and the second game ends with her utterly alone, having thrown away a decent life for the chase of vengeance

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Not really, no. The exchange in the game is shorter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxAr8yjNmiw&t=798s

In the game Ellie and David have to fend off some zombies together while they're in the woods, so there's some rapport building there before things go south.

e: forgot how much better the cinematography was in the game compared to the show.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Excellent episode. I was expecting it to water down the game's violence a bit, but nope, if anything that was more ferocious than the game version.

I know that goon said he didn't care about spoilers but lmao

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, those bits about leadership didn't work for me either. In the games the closest thing Ellie has to a follower is Dina, and she's really her girlfriend. And Riley is the one who leads in that relationship.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

e: forgot how much better the cinematography was in the game compared to the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsWwbg6CGv8&t=65s

yep

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
We're going into the finale with no Joel brick murders or did I miss it?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Madurai posted:

I never got the impression from the game that the cultists were unaware of the cannibalism, and was surprised when that was the angle they went with here.

Not played the games but in this episode it kinda felt like the adults were aware that they weren’t really eating venison. Like when the butcher brought out the meat and the woman asks what it was, the way she looked at him gave me “I know you’re full of poo poo but I’m going to pretend like you’re not full of poo poo, but you know that I know” vibes.

Liked the episode but the ending was really weird to me. Like, why did not a single person notice the fire and go investigate? Or smell the smoke? Or hear all the screaming and thrashing sounds before that?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Ellie leads the quest to Seattle in Part 2, which sure is a pretty small crew but is ultimately the crux of that game's story. Establishing her here as someone who can get people to listen makes sense if they want to pay that off in Part 2.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Ellie has a lot of traits that you would want in a leader that you can’t really teach as much. She’s smart, quick on her feet, not afraid to say or do something that will piss people off because it’s the right thing to do, and will do whatever is necessary for the people she cares for.

What she doesn’t have are the leader skills; and general social skills, that can be taught. She is very good at reading people though.

If I was a teacher I’d probably see the potential of a leader in her as well.

Though yes she also has major trust issues which would also hurt her ability to be a leader. Which makes what happens with her and Joel more tragic, as Joel betrays her trust, the only person she felt she could trust.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 6, 2023

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
The major in Boston also wants Ellie for the officer corps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ely killing the voice of game Joel with a cleaver to the neck is not something I expected! Awesome!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I think he meant it in more of you’re a wolf and not a sheep type of way.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This episode went for it on the map and machete scenes. It's established that Joel is brutal when desperate and Ellie under threat makes him desperate. Teaser for next week has Fireflies introducing themselves to Joel with a flashbang? Lmao. And Joel firing a weird rifle, like a modded SMG or something, through a hospital like he means it. Whatever the gun is I bet he pulled it off a dead Firefly. Lookin good 👍

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought they killed it this episode although it was weird to see such an infected heavy part of the game with zero infected.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Alhazred posted:

Literally 99,99% percent of science in movies and tv shows are bullshit, so why is this where you draw the line?
Like, the genetics in Jurassic Parks were also dumb to think that they could extract dna from mosquito trapped in amber.

to be fair, Crichton literally got the plot idea from The Extinct DNA Study Group at Berkeley, a bunch of nerds geeking out over the possibility of extracting ancient DNA from insects trapped in amber. I mean, obviously it didn't work out the way the novels and movies claim, otherwise some crazy capitalist absolutely would've made a Jurassic Park or two by this point

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

people who watch the preview clip for next week's episode of any show are not to be trusted.

just wait lol

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Posting "don't talk about the end" and "people have argued about it for 10 years" in the no spoiler thread is bona-fide good intentions gone bad. Prime Joel move.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alhazred posted:

It's the last bit of pure joy you'll get in the game.

I deeply enjoyed setting traps and blowing up everyone .

Also that part where you can let the clickers loose on the rattlers. Thanks clicker for saving me some ammo 🙏

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Every time Wolves chased me into a gloomy, spore filled area:

"oh hell yeah, where's my bottle?"
*gleeful carnage ensues*

I regret nothing, those guys were suckas anyway. Couldn't even handle a couple of clickers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That one part after you threw Nora down and the wolves come for you I don’t think I did anything for 2 mins. I just let the clickers and runners do the work and cleaned up the rest.

I loved killin so much in the game. I never stealth and I spared no one!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
My fave trick is to feed wolves/scars to clickers.

And if you're quick and shoot a runner in the leg you can do the same thing with them as well. You can also use a brick/bottle, but those things are so useful that I'd rather save them as a get-out-of-jail card rather than a way to disrupt a crowd.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Seven Round Things posted:

I know that goon said he didn't care about spoilers but lmao

we’re literally in the spoiler thread

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CelticPredator posted:

That one part after you threw Nora down and the wolves come for you I don’t think I did anything for 2 mins. I just let the clickers and runners do the work and cleaned up the rest.

I loved killin so much in the game. I never stealth and I spared no one!

I feel guilty for saying it, given the main themes and all but yeah, killing the gently caress out of things was super satisfying in Part II. That dope af move where you can just leap off high ground and come crashing down to one shot bury your machete/whatever in some gormless twerp below was just beautiful. Ditto picking people off with the bow, Abby punching the gently caress out of anything in her way like a human wrecking ball, it was hella fun to play and even though I have a miserable pile of shame to clear through, I still just kinda want to go back to playing it again instead.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin
I thought this episode started strong, certainly a big improvement over last week's retro romance fantasy diversion. The cult leader was a great character presented as someone with genuine heart and empathy but also struggling with self-doubt and burdened by the weight of decisions made to keep his flock alive.

Of course by the end he transmorphed into a literal cliche sadist and pederast straight from central casting in the span of about 3 minutes, and my eyes were rolling through the back of my head. What's wrong with portraying antagonists as complex self-interested characters instead of cartoon villains? 🙄

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Internaut! posted:

I thought this episode started strong, certainly a big improvement over last week's retro romance fantasy diversion. The cult leader was a great character presented as someone with genuine heart and empathy but also struggling with self-doubt and burdened by the weight of decisions made to keep his flock alive.

Of course by the end he transmorphed into a literal cliche sadist and pederast straight from central casting in the span of about 3 minutes, and my eyes were rolling through the back of my head. What's wrong with portraying antagonists as complex self-interested characters instead of cartoon villains? 🙄

(Man backhands newly orphaned child and proclaims himself her new daddy, sitting next to her mother after she’s served a plate of said dead spouse)

This poster: “see, this guy is on the level!”

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

fosborb posted:

*costumes the antagonist with a simple gold ring with a flat face and focus on it for awhile while reading scripture*

"how could you guess he's a bad guy?!"

it was a fantastic episode, but because she was clearly dealing with an absolutely evil person, I have no idea why the creators and game writer and everyone else is pretending the evil was at all subtle here

Soul Glo posted:

(Man backhands newly orphaned child and proclaims himself her new daddy, sitting next to her mother after she’s served a plate of said dead spouse)

I laughed out loud at the post-episode review (which are always trash and but I like behind-the-scenes stuff) where Mazin said something like "I wanted the audience to think he's a good person until we reveal that he's a cannibal"

It was a fine episode but dude, you did not achieve that

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Lisztless posted:

I laughed out loud at the post-episode review (which are always trash and but I like behind-the-scenes stuff) where Mazin said something like "I wanted the audience to think he's a good person until we reveal that he's a cannibal"

It was a fine episode but dude, you did not achieve that

I mean, I was replying to someone who DID think David was a decent dude until he went “cartoonishly” evil.

Most people are incredibly bad at digesting media while they are consuming it, so maybe Mazin actually accomplished his goal there.

Internaut!
Apr 3, 2022

by vyelkin

Soul Glo posted:

See I thought a preacher slapping a member of their congregation who's clamouring for the murder of another was light years removed from a guy covered in blood crawling around in a burning room explaining how he's going to rape and murder a child, but I guess that's because I'm not an expert media digester like you.

Kudos on that btw!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Internaut! posted:

See I thought a preacher slapping a member of their congregation who's clamouring for the murder of another was light years removed from a guy covered in blood crawling around in a burning room explaining how he's going to rape and murder a child, but I guess that's because I'm not an expert media digester like you.

Kudos on that btw!

“I am your new daddy. Eat your old daddy, he’s getting cold,” is pretty consistent with a rape and murder characterization

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's hilarious that literally every time you see a devout Christian preacher in media you know he's secretly evil

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Internaut! posted:

Kudos on that btw!

Are we watching the same show because I saw in order:
  • Stew being made with a questionable meat that is absolutely not venison
  • A whole room full of people waiting to eat until their leader arrives despite starving
  • A girl whose father was murdered wanting revenge for the murder
  • David calmly walking over, taking his gloves off, then violently backhanding the girl so hard that she fell out of her chair
  • Nobody stopping him from doing it
  • His loving creepy "you always have a father, you will show him respect" line
  • David's huge portion of food compared to everyone else
That absolutely screams serial abuser/sociopath. There's nothing ambiguous about it.

The scenes with him and Ellie where he's trying to compliment and manipulate her start off weird until he tries to hold her hand then you realize that he's a pedophile and a sadist that only kept her alive to subjugate and rape her because he gets off on violence and dominating others.

It's all very clearly telegraphed and the podcast clearly supports the above reading that David immediately wants to possess and dominate Ellie because she is someone he has not broken yet.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 6, 2023

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

precision posted:

It's hilarious that literally every time you see a devout Christian preacher in media you know he's secretly evil

found the guy who didn't watch The Leftovers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

precision posted:

I want to see the MASH spinoff where Father Mulcahy starts a cult.

Of course he did turn out to be a shapeshifter so we knew he couldn't be trusted around solids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

precision posted:

I like how in the Walking dead instead of going with a pedophile or someone obsessed with Gods will to the point of evil acts he was just a coward who locked everyone out of the church to get eaten by zombies