Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

devmd01 posted:

My employer sent everyone home march 2020, productivity increased, they polled everyone and the overwhelming response was stay wfh, so that is now default. They remodeled the building we own for hotdesking/coworking if people/a team want to come in, but lol that rarely happens. Also got rid of the leases of two other buildings in our office complex.

And surprise, our hiring pool is now the entire country instead of our metro area! We thankfully were well positioned for the transition because 80% of our apps were already cloud-based. Now it’s more like 95%, it owns.

You guys hiring for the legal dept?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I work from home, and my employer micromanages our bathroom breaks. Anytime we have to go to the bathroom, that time is deducted from our break time, so if you have to go to the bathroom for a minute, one of your breaks is going to only be 14 minutes long or some poo poo.

I'm pretty sure this isn't actually legal.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Change job. What the gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FrozenVent posted:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fivemarks posted:

I work from home, and my employer micromanages our bathroom breaks. Anytime we have to go to the bathroom, that time is deducted from our break time, so if you have to go to the bathroom for a minute, one of your breaks is going to only be 14 minutes long or some poo poo.

that is not legal in any way

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

that's so illegal i think you are legally allowed to bop that manager in the nose.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Save all phone calls you need to make with this manager until you have to go to the bathroom and then call them while making GBS threads and pissing as loudly as you can.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

unionize and then everyone poo poo all the time into the phone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There probably won't be a much better time to change your job, which you need to do because that's pretty fuckin vile. The labor market is currently tighten and will loosen in the near future as idiot companies lay off more people for no reason.

But how your company survives through time-robbing wage thefty poo poo like that I have no idea. Probably poorly.

FrozenVent posted:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fivemarks posted:

This isn't even considered okay in restaurants and retail.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fivemarks posted:

Dang even in Shawshank Redemption when Red was working at the grocery store, he was informed it was ok for him to pee when we wanted without asking permission.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fivemarks posted:

Do they have a webcam on you at all times or something? I’ve hosed off for an hour to hang out with my dog and nobody said poo poo.

Now I will say I’ve taken more than one meeting while taking a poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fivemarks posted:

Tell them in so many words to get hosed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Never sweat on the clock, never poo poo off it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crusty Minge and I were getting higher than the stratosphere years back and he taught me “Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I poo poo on company time.” and I literally haven’t stopped thinking about it ever since.

Literally lol’ing in real life.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fivemarks posted:

That sounds like something you could sue over.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I live in Japan (I've mentioned this before, but I don't post too often), and hoo boy, some of the stories I've heard from people about bad employers (called "black companies" over here) are awful.

The last company my wife worked at was a small-medium IT outsourcing company with around 50-ish employees, although at any one time 2/3rds of those were out on jobs at other companies instead of at the main office. The president of the company was a complete rear end in a top hat that would constantly throw tantrums, yell at employees, and verbally abuse anyone who didn't do exactly what he said and give him the exact results that he wanted. After an employee's outsourcing contract ended, they would often quit rather than have to head back to the main office and have to deal with him. Before my wife quit, she had been working there for two years and was the third longest-lasting employee behind the president himself and another manager.

One story among many that she told me that particularly stand out: one time, an employee was late by a minute or two to a meeting with the president and a few other people, and he started yelling at the employee and demanding to know why he was late. The employee responded that the elevator took a long time to get to the floor after he pushed the button, and the president demanded that he go back down and come back using the stairs this time. When the employee did that, the president told him he was too slow and to do it again but RUN this time. The employee apparently obliged. If someone did that to me I would have told him to gently caress off and quit on the spot.

Japan actually has some pretty good labor laws, but people are so often too scared or ashamed to go to a lawyer about any of it, so companies get away with a lot of poo poo. My wife got a full year of maternity leave at 2/3rds salary, guaranteed by Japanese labor laws. Once it ended she quit and used the rest of her PTO to get an extra month or so rather than to return to that hellscape with a child at home.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still think part of my burnout at my last job was related to the personal grievance I had to take out against a dude who had some kind of a grudge against me. It's loving exhausting to have to deal with that kind of negativity and someone deliberately trying to sabotage you.
A good example of this is the first time we worked together in months, another staff member took me aside and warned me I needed to watch myself around him - barely hours into the shift.

It must be exhausting to be that bitter.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I will never forget working on a game that had a guy who styled himself as the "manager" that hated my loving guts because he learned that I had an SA account. He was an EVE Carebear that had been bullied by Goonfleet and blamed SA for "destroying" Star Citizen after he had invested six figures into it, so he got revenge on all of goon-dom by making the workplace so absurdly toxic that it caused four other people (out of six) to quit in protest over how I was being treated. He then torpedoed the community by banning anyone who asked why the development team nearly evaporated overnight.

Said guy also claimed to be a former marine that had somehow managed to get a dishonorable discharge from unloading a clip into his leg after completing basic. He showed up to meetings drunk and constantly bitched about the VA "screwing him for life".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Toxic people are so, so, so destructive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As a bitter person, it really is. It's why I'm actively trying not to be so bitter and just enjoy things.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Trying to be better is hard, but rewarding. Keep going.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I still think part of my burnout at my last job was related to the personal grievance I had to take out against a dude who had some kind of a grudge against me. It's loving exhausting to have to deal with that kind of negativity and someone deliberately trying to sabotage you.
A good example of this is the first time we worked together in months, another staff member took me aside and warned me I needed to watch myself around him - barely hours into the shift.

Just sail 1st Engineer and rule with an iron fist. I'm so uptight I poo poo diamonds.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Crusty Minge and I were getting higher than the stratosphere years back and he taught me “Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime, that’s why I poo poo on company time.” and I literally haven’t stopped thinking about it ever since.

Literally lol’ing in real life.

Ha, I remember seeing that posted in here ages ago and I've always remembered it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

As a bitter person, it really is. It's why I'm actively trying not to be so bitter and just enjoy things.

Earlier on in my life, I was always super pissed off and bitter and spiteful and reckless. Learning how to let go of all that poo poo and allow myself to be happy is one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but also the most rewarding - I can't describe how much better my mental health got once I stopped being poisoned by my own anger. It's hard as hell to do, but I believe in you.

Of course, Long Covid had to gently caress things up by putting holes in my brain that cause occasional bouts of irrational rage, but at least I can recognize those now and adjust for them.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kith posted:

Said guy also claimed to be a former marine that had somehow managed to get a dishonorable discharge from unloading a clip into his leg after completing basic. He showed up to meetings drunk and constantly bitched about the VA "screwing him for life".

You don’t usually get dishonorable for an ND but lol an entire “clip”. I’m imagining that one scene from Full Metal Jacket but he makes eye contact while shooting his own foot until a too-loud *ping*.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lightpole posted:

Just sail 1st Engineer and rule with an iron fist. I'm so uptight I poo poo diamonds.

Remember the guy who was mad no one was working on their night watches alone, because he had done so much on his, but it was a cribbage board?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

goatsestretchgoals posted:

You don’t usually get dishonorable for an ND but lol an entire “clip”. I’m imagining that one scene from Full Metal Jacket but he makes eye contact while shooting his own foot until a too-loud *ping*.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/873264183281889281?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Posts 2-31 are just *bang*

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Twitter's busted again:

https://twitter.com/tobydoyhowell/status/1632792595465207809?t=GJvqDtAj9xSVCebt2RC49Q&s=19

quote:

Quick twitter recap for everyone

- all links are broken
- all images are broken
- all videos are broken
- TweetDeck is broken
Looks like Lists and Bookmarks are affected too

https://twitter.com/TwitterSupport/status/1632792942262747136?t=aRaFKn3HCi9_PExBdikBnA&s=19

quote:

Some parts of Twitter may not be working as expected right now. We made an internal change that had some unintended consequences. We’re working on this now and will share an update when it’s fixed.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wtf are they doing, pushing changes to live or something?

Whatever. The roof is on fire, let the motherfucker burn.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ebaum is the walking definition of "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"we are going to restrict api access to paying customers" is maybe not the correct approach to take when you aren't paying your bills :thunk:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

"we are going to restrict api access to paying customers" is maybe not the correct approach to take when you aren't paying your bills :thunk:

So apparently, it's this:

https://twitter.com/DannyPage/status/1632788313366048770

quote:

What this likely means is that the new Paid API is going live and they forgot to add their own services to the Allow-List.

This is why, as a backend engineer, I can't quit this website. It's giving me so many examples to show to PMs why we need testing.

this poo poo's so dumb even non-YOSPOS people can thoroughly understand just how bad they continue to gently caress up

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yes, hence the joke (elon has not been paying twitter's various real estate and service fees)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

My situation wasn't this bad, but I got a new coworker my second year at my old job who spent six months feeling the place out before she started driving in everybody else's lane in addition to her own.

She tried to run me off to a new job with our contractor that was offered to me and showed visible disappointment when I turned it down as it would've been a worse situation. She also became retired O-5 boss man's pet and went to five conferences out-of-state in two years while I barely got to leave the county.

The last trip was a one-day show to Florida in advance of an impending VA audit. When she came back and initially implied she was going to have me do a chunk of the work, I publicly said "lol nope, you got to go to Florida to learn this", which led her to get pissy.

She quit two months into COVID having not even started the project she spent two weeks in California (bracketing the opening of Galaxy's Edge) in training to the tune of a chunk of money.

There was also a noticeable but inexplicable grudge brought to my attention by 2 different members of staff that my boss had toward me almost as if he didn't want me there despite hiring me.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 6, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Kith posted:

I will never forget working on a game that had a guy who styled himself as the "manager" that hated my loving guts because he learned that I had an SA account. He was an EVE Carebear that had been bullied by Goonfleet and blamed SA for "destroying" Star Citizen after he had invested six figures into it, so he got revenge on all of goon-dom by making the workplace so absurdly toxic that it caused four other people (out of six) to quit in protest over how I was being treated. He then torpedoed the community by banning anyone who asked why the development team nearly evaporated overnight.

On the one hand that sucks and I'm sad you dealt with it.

On the other hand the fact that someone got suicide ganked in highsec and they were such a lovely person that they took it out on an unrelated person in real life is the kind of vindication one rarely gets these days.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

There was also a noticeable but inexplicable grudge brought to my attention by 2 different members of staff that my boss had toward me almost as if he didn't want me there despite hiring me.

The boss of a place I worked at was the company owner who hired on his employees and he hated all of us.

The problem is that you are a person who has opinions and feelings and a wage, and your boss would prefer you had none of those things.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

He swore up and down that "real people don't care about the distinction", which caused no end of drama when the players constantly reported the issue of ammunition being incorrectly described in-game and he stubbornly refused to "allow" it to be changed, because "all changes need to be agreed upon, that's why we're a team".

So we changed it anyway and didn't tell him. He threw a huge tantrum about it when he found out about it months later.

CainFortea posted:

On the one hand that sucks and I'm sad you dealt with it.

On the other hand the fact that someone got suicide ganked in highsec and they were such a lovely person that they took it out on an unrelated person in real life is the kind of vindication one rarely gets these days.

At the time I was furious about it, but now it's hilarious to me. This dude got SO MAD that he had been owned in a videogame once that he deliberately destroyed a project he'd sunk thousands of dollars into, and I got a bunch of good contacts out of that workplace and used those to further my career. One of us came out on top in the long run, and it definitely wasn't him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Kith posted:

He swore up and down that "real people don't care about the distinction", which caused no end of drama when the players constantly reported the issue of ammunition being incorrectly described in-game and he stubbornly refused to "allow" it to be changed, because "all changes need to be agreed upon, that's why we're a team".

So we changed it anyway and didn't tell him. He threw a huge tantrum about it when he found out about it months later.

At the time I was furious about it, but now it's hilarious to me. This dude got SO MAD that he had been owned in a videogame once that he deliberately destroyed a project he'd sunk thousands of dollars into, and I got a bunch of good contacts out of that workplace and used those to further my career. One of us came out on top in the long run, and it definitely wasn't him.

If there's ever a movie about him, I want it to star John Leguizamo.