Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

PIZZA.BAT posted:

alright that's fine. i took issue with the, 'if you still need meds after...' part of your statement. if exercise and meditation are able to get you out of adhd then you likely didn't have adhd in the first place.

ADHD varies in severity, dont really understand why you'd say that after accosting me for being insensitive and invalidating.

quote:

the way you phrased it makes it sound like you can be on the meds for a bit, get your life in order, then jump back off again.

My point was that it is possible to use the meds as a means to build lasting habits and structure your life in a way that you maybe dont need the meds. This isnt possible at your job I get that, but for some the meds are such a double edged that trying to find a way is important.

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Uriah Heep posted:

ADHD varies in severity, dont really understand why you'd say that after accosting me for being insensitive and invalidating.

My point was that it is possible to use the meds as a means to build lasting habits and structure your life in a way that you maybe dont need the meds. This isnt possible at your job I get that, but for some the meds are so double edged that trying to find a way is important.

CBT

LOL COCK AND BALL TORTURE start going to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, all goons. Period.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Carbamazepine was on the DO NOT INTERACT EVER list and I loving hated it with all my soul.

That's a drug I'm less familiar with, but I'm guessing your experience is not all that rare since my impression is that it is prescribed way less than it used to be. It seems like lamotrigine has become the most preferred of drugs in that area, with depakote still getting prescribed, too. I don't know anyone taking carbamazepine currently, but do know people taking the latter two. I don't know for sure (I'm not a doctor or pharmacist), but I think the balance of side effects often drives shifts in prescribing over time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's a drug I'm less familiar with, but I'm guessing your experience is not all that rare since my impression is that it is prescribed way less than it used to be. It seems like lamotrigine has become the most preferred of drugs in that area, with depakote still getting prescribed, too. I don't know anyone taking carbamazepine currently, but do know people taking the latter two. I don't know for sure (I'm not a doctor or pharmacist), but I think the balance of side effects often drives shifts in prescribing over time.

Carb and lamotrigine are drat near the same thing, and the main things are don't drink grapefruit juice and if you go out in the sun and see a rash that shouldn't be there your skin is gonna fall off like Manute Bol anyway cya

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens%E2%80%93Johnson_syndrome
The most common cause is certain medications such as lamotrigine, carbamazepine, allopurinol, sulfonamide antibiotics and nevirapine.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 6, 2023

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

MrQwerty posted:

CBT

LOL COCK AND BALL TORTURE start going to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, all goons. Period.

Yeah I already started looking around after you first mentioned it. Appreciate it my dude.

I hate browsing therapists though drat, stressful.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

MrQwerty posted:

CBT

In that new show on Apple+ "Shrinking" the name of the therapy center is specified as CBT and I thought that was kind of cool.

I feel I'm making solid progress with CBT but mindfulness is hard to learn.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Carb and lamotrigine are drat near the same thing, and the main things are don't drink grapefruit juice and if you go out in the sun and see a rash that shouldn't be there your skin is gonna fall off like Manute Bol anyway cya

[nws]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevens%E2%80%93Johnson_syndrome[/nws]
The most common cause is certain medications such as lamotrigine, carbamazepine, allopurinol, sulfonamide antibiotics and nevirapine.

Yeah, Stevens-Johnson is one of those nightmare side effects to be aware of. I took lamotrigine for years and it was something I kept in the back of my mind as something to watch out for. The best thing about that whole period was it was prescribed due to a misdiagnosis. I took so many meds that just resulted in side effects for no good reason. Now with correct diagnosis and appropriate meds I'm doing much better.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Jelly posted:

Mindfulness is easy. I guess it's because I work in cleanrooms and poo poo, but it's not hard. Pema Chodron is real easy to read.
Listen to some poo poo like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F7KaSGy0mU
do some new poo poo

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Jelly posted:

In that new show on Apple+ "Shrinking" the name of the therapy center is specified as CBT and I thought that was kind of cool.

Actually it’s easy OP. When one TRIES it is certainly difficult. I recommend keeping with the path.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Trying, with desperation, to pass through a peacefully open door.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc-NIGzUmEM

meditations

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

nom epique posted:

Actually it’s easy OP. When one TRIES it is certainly difficult. I recommend keeping with the path.
Says the guy who has a dedicated room for Biden in his diseased brain

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
my doctor, not my current doctor but back when I was with kaiser, had me buy this book, "Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program". you can probably find a pdf copy free on the internet.
it's part of a bigger program, but if you haven't taken a look at the cognitive side of ADHD treatment, it's worth a look at least to get a base understanding of the shape of things

one of the things about adult ADHD is that, if you get diagnosed with it, that means you had it as a child and it just wasn't caught, and as you got older you probably appeared to become less symptomatic, but you didn't actually get better, you just got better at hiding it. that means maladaptive coping mechanisms, which is exactly the kind of thing cognitive-behavioral therapy is designed to help address- untangling the distortions of adapting around something, and building healthier neural pathways in their place

medication is, of course, an important part of treatment. I shouldn't have to say this, but I guess I do. it says this in the book, too. from my understanding, adderall (for instance) helps kickstart frontal lobe activity, which is in charge of your executive functioning. but, yeah, it's not a cure. the thing I hear again and again is that if you have ADHD, that means your attention is interest-based rather than priority-based. adderall can help stop you from breaking your focus, but it can't make you focus your attention on things that require it, and it can't undo maladaptive coping mechanisms. and that's where cbt and lifestyle changes come in- see, if they kick you dead square in the balls,

this bit blew my mind the first time we went over it:

because it's just describing so many psychological mechanisms that I'd been dimly aware of myself falling into, usually as a precursor to inaction or giving up on something that I understood intellectually should have been a priority but couldn't force myself to focus on
like... your brain doesn't want to admit there's something wrong with it, so you start coming up with excuses to avoid having to confront the reality that there's something it should be able to do and can't, and over time you get really, really good at it. that's how I see my experience, anyway. and this is practically a list of every excuse and rationalization I ever made to avoid having to confront the reality that I couldn't force myself to focus my attention on something important (or even something that I wanted to do, because I cared about it) if it wasn't prima facie interesting to me

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cubone posted:

one of the things about adult ADHD is that, if you get diagnosed with it, that means you had it as a child and it just wasn't caught, and as you got older you probably appeared to become less symptomatic, but you didn't actually get better, you just got better at hiding it. that means maladaptive coping mechanisms, which is exactly the kind of thing cognitive-behavioral therapy is designed to help address- untangling the distortions of adapting around something, and building healthier neural pathways in their place

I just wanted to snip this out because it is very, very true. It's true about other stuff in addition to ADHD, but is especially true with ADHD. It doesn't help that ADHD as an umbrella includes things that look very different - hyperactive type ADHD looks way different than inattentive type, for instance. It's one reason why girls tended to be underdiagnosed because they were more likely to experience inattentive type, so people didn't know what they were looking because they were expecting hyperactive type.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
It's probably best that I can't get the magic beans.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Huh I've had all of those symptoms in college and all I got out of it were some antidepressants that broke my dick lol

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My mom doesn't believe in medication

I was absolutely tested though. Got put in the advanced courses instead.

Whoops turns out that didn't work

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Treecko posted:

My mom doesn't believe in medication

I was absolutely tested though. Got put in the advanced courses instead.

Whoops turns out that didn't work
My parents put me on an MAOI that was all the rage for dumbass parents of kids with ADHD at the time. It didn't work, and it would have sent me to the hostpital/made me die if I took a second one (good thing people with ADHD have no trouble remembering whether they did something or not) or took one of the oodles of medications or herbs that interacted with it, and its ineffectiveness contributed to the lingering anxiety and rejection sensitivity I have to this day, but at least they didn't give me amphetamines.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Private Cumshoe posted:

speed should be sold like the old days with a wink and a nod from the pharmacist behind the counter for anyone looking for "diet pills"

Here's a photo of The Beatles during their Hamburg stint, absolutely hosed from years of Pervitin abuse:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Pharmacies all across the US are out of Adderall and some orders have been on back order for months. Oddly nobody even really knows why (there's talk of demand being up because of telehealth diagnoses during the pandemic, but the pandemic's been on the wane for over a year, feels odd for it to be impacting the supply chain now), and nobody's doing anything about it!

I can barely get anything done and I'm starting to gain weight--and worst of all--I can no longer masturbate for hours at a time! I heard snorting sudafed is a cheap and dirty alternative which always sounded kinda stupid to me but I'm at the point where I'm considering it! :cocaine:

There's more I could add but I really just can't be hosed to put any more effort into posting right now, so I'll come back and do it later.

The smaller, non-chain pharmacy in my moms town had it. But I feel it is bullshit that we, the patients, have to call around.

I have it now.

There are a couple of factories that make it that supposedly have not been able to hire enough workers to make their allowed amount, since the DEA limits the amount manufacturers are allowed to make. They probably are refusing to increase wages while being giant assholes to employees, although that last part is just speculation.

Alternatives mostly suck, if they work at all (I’m looking at you, Stratera, you lying mother-fucker).

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

XYZAB posted:

Here's a photo of The Beatles during their Hamburg stint, absolutely hosed from years of Pervitin abuse:

at first I was like why is there a weird eyebrow tattoo cult but I guess it's the same person??

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid and prescribed Ritalin. I hated taking it and my parents loved taking it so I didn't use it from the time I was 8. By the time I was 19 I refused to go get the prescription for Ritalin anymore because both my parents were hooked. 25 years later I'd like to be able to go get some adderall and see if it helps me these days.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Private Cumshoe posted:

at first I was like why is there a weird eyebrow tattoo cult but I guess it's the same person??

That looks like Multnomah County's "Faces of Meth" campaign.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Tarkus posted:

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid and prescribed Ritalin. I hated taking it and my parents loved taking it so I didn't use it from the time I was 8. By the time I was 19 I refused to go get the prescription for Ritalin anymore because both my parents were hooked.

jesus.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

STABASS posted:

lotta complaints itt but I bet none of you have even TRIED the healing power of prayer???

Didn't work for my mom's horse. Won't work for my addiction.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wisely never sought professional help for my obvious brain problems, so I will be unaffected

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

I wisely never sought professional help for my obvious brain problems, so I will be unaffected

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cubone posted:

my doctor, not my current doctor but back when I was with kaiser, had me buy this book, "Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program". you can probably find a pdf copy free on the internet.
it's part of a bigger program, but if you haven't taken a look at the cognitive side of ADHD treatment, it's worth a look at least to get a base understanding of the shape of things

Yo thanks for this, I'm a recent adhd diagnosis and while drugs are working great I really wanna tackle the underlying stuff that accumulated over 36 years of it being untreated. Downloaded a sample already!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

MrQwerty posted:

CBT

street drugs are cheaper, and in most situations more accessible

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve contemplated getting assessed here but I have a feeling it’ll just be some ridiculous bureaucratic hell because this country already has a bad relationship with the idea of drugs doing something positive for you, having to contend with needing them legally sounds like a nightmare.

Took me far too long to get Wellbutrin, though when I did it was easy as “I finally had a woman doctor who listened and understood wanting to enjoy sex and sleeping”. Less than ten min, prescription done.

Meanwhile prior male doctors I had here would just drown me in loving SSRIs even when I stated that the side effects are defeating the point of taking it. If I can’t have sex or sleep well, that makes me depressed. why am I just fueling that. I’m just depressed in a new way. They ignored my previous American prescription for Wellbutrin, one even stated that “it just doesn’t exist in Sweden” when I knew he just didn’t bother to look.

mental health!!!!!!!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

teen witch posted:

I’ve contemplated getting assessed here but I have a feeling it’ll just be some ridiculous bureaucratic hell because this country already has a bad relationship with the idea of drugs doing something positive for you, having to contend with needing them legally sounds like a nightmare.

Took me far too long to get Wellbutrin, though when I did it was easy as “I finally had a woman doctor who listened and understood wanting to enjoy sex and sleeping”. Less than ten min, prescription done.

Meanwhile prior male doctors I had here would just drown me in loving SSRIs even when I stated that the side effects are defeating the point of taking it. If I can’t have sex or sleep well, that makes me depressed. why am I just fueling that. I’m just depressed in a new way. They ignored my previous American prescription for Wellbutrin, one even stated that “it just doesn’t exist in Sweden” when I knew he just didn’t bother to look.

mental health!!!!!!!

This mod fucks :getin:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

lil poopendorfer posted:

This mod fucks :getin:

Hell fuckin yeah, take antidepressants that let you gently caress, double antidepressants

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't know I keep meaning to ask my doctor about a possible prescription for something similar but I'm bad at scheduling and sticking to tasks for some reason.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I just take a second car payment worth of Vyvanse.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Astrochicken posted:

what this nation needs, is, subtracterall

If you mix Adderall and subtracterall you will explode, like those people in the live action comedy Live Wire starring Pierce Brosnan

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
It’s great I’m pressing caffeine to look like adderall and selling them to youths

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
In September or October, my pharmacist gave me a partial refill of 30 out of 90 tablets. It was some dark blue pill from a brand I'd never heard of before. I haven't been able to get a refill since then. It costs me $150 to get a doctor to call a refill in to a pharmacy, and if that pharmacy doesn't have it, then I have to do another $150 video conference with my doctor to get them to call and try another pharmacy. Pharmacies won't tell you if they have it in stock since it's a controlled substance. I've been taking this medicine for most of my life and this shortage hosed me up p. hard.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 6, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

teen witch posted:

Hell fuckin yeah, take antidepressants that let you gently caress, double antidepressants

I couldn't cum on Wellbutrin.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I can blast ropes on Cymbalta :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

I do not need any pills I am of perfectly sound mind and body

this op. however, i also live outside the united states