Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Palladium posted:

heating is free because its harvested from waste exhaust heat, cooling however requires a compressor fed from engine power

Oh yeah for sure, well barring ~100-200 watts of fan, I'm just a luddite that burns things for heat so didn't really know what HVAC is but did know it has an AC in the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
AC is forcing liquid through a tiny orifice 🎓

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bring back super size

the tax return one is funniest to me

37% of the country is just inherently hostile to tax discussion in any form or else works for h&r block

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Americans don't use electric kettles are you loving kidding me??

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

power too low, makes them slow. ud need t plug that bitch itno the 220 to make it work worth a drat

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gaps down the sides of the toilet door? Is that a drug thing?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

genericnick posted:

cruising

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

genericnick posted:

it's because they're FAT op

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Smythe posted:

power too low, makes them slow. ud need t plug that bitch itno the 220 to make it work worth a drat

no idea what "the 220" is 👍

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

exmarx posted:

no idea what "the 220" is 👍

nice try but i dont know geography

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVA1i26SkKE

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Wtf. Is this saying Americans can't use online banking to pay people?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

Wtf. Is this saying Americans can't use online banking to pay people?

You technically can. There's a fee of around $25 to send and an additional $15 or so to receive, and the sender is required to know the recipient's account number, which is also the only information required to initiate transfers right back out.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
yeah the fees are why those apps for sending money are so big in the US, I never understood it at first

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Smythe posted:

As a U.S kettle owner and subscriber to nerdy youtube channel technology connections

220 only saves you 1-2 minutes of boil time, it's fine to use it and I prefer the accuracy of the kettle temp for different teas or coffee over the alternatives for optimal brewing temps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

you weren't going to be doing anything useful with those two minutes anyway

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mandoric posted:

You technically can. There's a fee of around $25 to send and an additional $15 or so to receive, and the sender is required to know the recipient's account number, which is also the only information required to initiate transfers right back out.

This just gets worse and worse. No wonder people are so concerned with identity theft.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Mandoric posted:

what the gently caress lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Turgidson posted:

what the gently caress lol

the only things that exist in america that aren't monetized are things that were created as public goods before like 1970. everything after that has been monetized as much as possible. if we just now started building public bathrooms, we'd be putting credit card activated locks on every stall door, sink, toilet, hand dryer, etc.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mandoric posted:

lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the only things that exist in america that aren't monetized are things that were created as public goods before like 1970. everything after that has been monetized as much as possible. if we just now started building public bathrooms, we'd be putting credit card activated locks on every stall door, sink, toilet, hand dryer, etc.
door unlocks mid-poo poo, after which a ram pushes the occupant right out of the stall, if they failed to put enough coins in when unlocking it initially.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best way to monetize a bathroom would be to have a free to access toilet with a paid toilet paper dispenser, preferably one where you'd have to scan a qr code and download an invasive app on your phone

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best way to monetize a bathroom would be to have a free to access toilet with a paid toilet paper dispenser, preferably one where you'd have to scan a qr code and download an invasive app on your phone
Wrong. American men think wiping their rear end is gay, so they'd poo poo for free.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't understand the money transfer app thing. wtf does Zelle do and how is it different or worse than what euros use

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

I don't understand the money transfer app thing. wtf does Zelle do and how is it different or worse than what euros use

doesnt it go directly to your bank account with zelle? i guess tahts not really much different than venmo, paypal, or cashapp but it seems like more banks officially support zelle?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i don't use zelle but venmo offers you the ability to transfer your cash to your bank account at a "standard" rate of 1-3 business days for free or charges you a fee of 1% of the amount transferred to do it instantly. but these are all the exact same digital transactions, and there is nothing stopping them from just putting the transfers through in the order they come in, other than the opportunity to charge a premium to remove the delay.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zelle is instant and free so if I'm not buying drugs I use that. no app and you only need a phone number or email address, not bank account number. it may have been around before 2015 but I started using it then

and yeah it's bank to bank so no middleman

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

zelle is instant and free so if I'm not buying drugs I use that. no app and you only need a phone number or email address, not bank account number. it may have been around before 2015 but I started using it then

and yeah it's bank to bank so no middleman

imagine if instead of proprietary platforms like Venmo and Zelle there was an agreed platform that all banks shared so as long as you can contact someone you can pay or receive money - replacing checks, Venmo, wire transfers

basically an ach that consumers could use for free

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Ratios and Tendency posted:

the only electric kettle an American owns is a dusty mr coffee

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

genericnick posted:

If you make the toilet unwelcoming, like for example having big gaps between the panels, the people who come to your business will not want to use it and then you don't need to clean it as often.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I have to pay a subscription fee to a third party nationwide parcel room operator to pick up packages in my new apartment. half the time the packages are left on the floor. https://www.parcelpending.com

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Smythe posted:

just get one of these hot water whenever you want it

bing bong so simple

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

yellowcar posted:

just get one of these hot water whenever you want it

bing bong so simple

nice. a way to breathe even more plastic fumes.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i'm prob like 30% microplastics by now

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

yellowcar posted:

i'm prob like 30% microplastics by now

how many CCs did you get put in?

Gainsboro
Feb 28, 2023

Twenty Year Lurker

Vomik posted:

imagine if instead of proprietary platforms like Venmo and Zelle there was an agreed platform that all banks shared so as long as you can contact someone you can pay or receive money - replacing checks, Venmo, wire transfers

basically an ach that consumers could use for free

It was mindblowing to learn that Interac was just a canuck thing and the US doesn't have anything comparable. The solutions are right there waiting for anyone to copy them.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gainsboro posted:

It was mindblowing to learn that Interac was just a canuck thing and the US doesn't have anything comparable. The solutions are right there waiting for anyone to copy them.

Yeah but a centralized system removes the element of choice that Americans think we have

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gainsboro posted:

Pretty sure the banks make money on money in transit so that's why that particular part of america is stupid and backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
What was the point of Cirrus